IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

ShockWave is now officialy 10 years old!
The_Hunter
post 16 Mar 2015, 11:10
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Today exactly 10 years ago i publicly released the very first version of ShockWave namely version 0.8
To this present day its played by many and become pretty much a cult classic at this point.

A lot has happened during the past 10 years people have come and gone and ShockWave also officially stopped to be actively developed by us in 2011.
Well as of today i'm pleased to announce we will do one more major update to this mod to address some of the issues that have become obvious over the time since our last official release.

We've already been doing some preparations on this and our anniversary release will include a completely reworked generals challenge, bug fixes and some necessary balance tweaks.
Stay tuned in the coming weeks as we will announce more details on this development smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SqUak
post 24 Mar 2015, 1:12
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10930

and how can i show you potential sir ?
what do i have to do ?

+Quote Post
Red Alert
post 24 Mar 2015, 23:23
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9184

QUOTE (SqUak @ 23 Mar 2015, 19:12) *
and how can i show you potential sir ?
what do i have to do ?

First and foremost, you need to demonstrate a teamwork attitude. I've read that $200 tournament of yours and that kind of attitude is unnecessary. You need to be professional about it in the face of criticism. It's probably too late for you.

Anyways, you don't necessarily need to join the team to test for bugs and balance issues. You can post them on this forum. What you need is attention to detail (minor things like spelling errors, animation glitches, and what not). Check for completeness and consistency throughout all the factions. You need to take it from the perspective of a game designer. I.e. how intuitive is the UI? Is there anything that may potentially be confusing to the players (especially for first-time players)? What are the potential cause and effects of introducing an element into the game that may drive a player to act or not act in a certain way? Just to name a few. Anyone can test for bugs, but to be a great QA, you'll need to go beyond testing the obvious (i.e. bugs and glitches). This is probably what the SWR team is looking for.

Balance fixes require a lot of time to analyze properly. You'll need to go deep. Balance is about relationships between one element to another. Saying a unit needs to be "nerfed" or "buffed" will not cut it. You'll need to provide the team with a concrete analysis of the stats between units so the team can make an informed decision. Here's a post I made when I compared Quad Tank vs Emperor: http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.ph...ost&p=97812 (spoiler: Quad Tanks win over Emperor). That large post was just a comparison between those two units. However, one cannot conclude that its "weakness" needs to be buffed. There could very well be another unit that will make up for its weaknesses; one has to take a look at the entire faction as a whole to see who's making up for who, and the sort of implicit doctrine that the faction follows. Shockwave has hundreds of units and structures so it might take an entire summer or more to perform a thorough analysis like this. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this sort of thing, but I'll be happy to show anyone who wants to be a QA for SWR.

Edit: I just stumbled upon your "to the ones who care" thread in ROTR. Ugh... no, just no. It's all vague and loaded with ignorance. You'd make a terrible beta tester. No offense.

This post has been edited by Red Alert: 26 Mar 2015, 3:55

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 May 2024 - 7:26