A Reference to Darkness: ROTR Fanfiction Redux, A better attempt
Alex1guy
post 17 Oct 2012, 0:02
Post #1

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9123

Hi there guys, some of you a few months ago read my fiction starring Agent Gabriel. Unfortunately, due to a computer error I lost the newest part of the saga and lost faith in writing a new part. I was also suffering massive writer's block but after careful reconsideration, I've decided to re-write everything, going for a better and ultimately darker story which I hope everyone will enjoy!

Without Further Ado!

Chapter One: One Minute To Midnight

Music and sounds for effect:

Rain in the night.
and
Difference for Darkness

DATELINE:
November 16th, 2039
Millbank, London
United Kingdom

London; some called her the greatest city in the world and when one thought about it, it was difficult to disagree.

Built by the Romans over two-thousand years ago, this dignified metropolis had withstood everything that centuries of history could throw at her. She had once been the beating heart of the greatest Empire of the Modern Age and this was written across her venerable face. Everywhere one looked, it was easy to see the elegant matrimony of the old and new world. Statues and buildings of stone and brick stood proudly alongside shimmering facades of glass and steel and despite the rain and maturity of the hour, the city was always a hive of activity.

It was through these sleepless streets that a Black Rolls Royce made its graceful journey, picking and weaving through the late evening traffic along the roads flanking the Thames. It indicated left, and began the final stages of travel, crossing over Millbank Bridge to its destination on the other side. The Thames House was reflected against the dark waters by which it was named had for almost a century had been the home of various agencies of the British Intelligence.

It now served a greater purpose.

As the Rolls Royce pulled up to the gates surrounding official seat of the European Continental Intelligence Agency, two soldiers dressed in the navy blue fatigues walked up to address the driver's window. After a brief conversation, the heavy steel gates that protected Europe's most cunning minds, slid open. After one last brief trip, the car came to a final halt beneath the stone gaze of Mother Britannia and St George, the two patrons of Britain that flanked the vaulted entrance to the Thames House.

The right-hand door opened, and a tall figure stepped out. His hair was a deep brown like his eyes, betraying his Italian Mother but his face was chiselled and pale, a gift of his English Father.

"I hate this city" Andrew Gabriel thought bitterly as he was hit by the evening drizzle.

His feet splashed in the wet as he walked up the stairs to the door of the building, which like the main gate, was flanked by two soldiers of the European Continental, Army attending a security checkpoint.

"Please stand on the red sticker while the machine scans you" one said in a curt German accent as Gabriel approached. The British agent gave a small nod and stood on a red "X" on the floor between two metal arches. There was a metallic beep as an invisible x-ray scanned his body and the other guard, waved him through.

Gabriel stepped into the lobby, his eyes wincing somewhat as they adjusted to the soft white lights that illuminated the interior. Everything had been renovated in recent years, the result being a very modern affair, a contrast to the Imperial stonework exterior. The marble floor was decorated with the Blue and Gold stars of the European Alliance, which reflected against the walls of glass and chrome.

"Agent Gabriel?" Came sudden voice from behind.

Gabriel turned to face a rather timid looking woman, who almost flinched as he spun around.

"Ah, yes I am" he replied, clearing his throat as he did.

"I am Emily Cortez" she said quickly. "I am here to bring you upstairs."

"Pleasure to meet you Miss Cortez" Gabriel said as he extended a hand. This time the girl did flinch, but took her fellow agent's hand for an awkward exchange of pleasantries.

"Ummm, I'll take you up now."

Gabriel walked quickly after this extremely strange little woman as she led him to the elevators. After ascending several more floors and being scanned at several more security checkpoints, Cortez left Gabriel in a clouded glass hallway outside an office as she went inside to make enquiries with one of Europe’s most powerful people.

"MEREDITH BLACKMAN. DIRECTOR" the sign on the door read.

It was written to suggest that you didn't see Meredith Blackman, she saw you. Like most high-ranking members of European Intelligence, Meredith's history was shrouded in mystery and few people spoke with her directly. Gabriel had received a communique from her aide a few days ago, asking him to meet at the agency. Although the message had been worded like an invitation, Gabriel knew it was nothing short of a direct order.

After a few minutes of waiting, the door opened again and Agent Cortez returned.

“Miss Blackman will see you now.”

Gabriel nodded and followed the young girl inside. Like the rest of the building, the Director’s office was spacious and neat. In the centre of the room, suspended by almost invisible wires, was a glass desk which hung parallel to a collection of black leather couches. The far wall was a single large sheet of what Gabriel imagined to be bomb proof glass overlooking the Thames. It was here that Meredith and two other figures (that Gabriel didn’t recognize) stood speaking in low voices.

“Excuse me, Miss Blackman” Cortez interrupted “Agent Gabriel is here to see you.”

The trio ceased their conversation and Blackman turned aorund.

“Thank you Emily. That will be all.”

Cortez nodded and quickly shuffled out the door, closing it behind her.

Meredith stepped away from the window to her desk. She was a small woman in her early sixties, with dark red hair that was tied up in a neat bun behind her head who carried the air of a strict headmistress. The other two figured turned as she sat back at her desk.

They were both men, but they were very distinct from one another. One was a tall and slender Chinese officer, with straight, jet-black hair that contrasted the green and gold of his uniform. The other was a man (who could only be described as stereotypically Teutonic) was garbed in blue ceremonial uniform of the European Army which sat fittingly on his broad shoulders. He sported a shock of blonde hair and energetic blue eyes, both of which competed to downplay the man’s age. Both however, shared equally worried looks.

“Agent Gabriel, you know me but allow me introduce our guests, this Wu Zhi Cheng of the Chinese Ministry of State Security and Jakob Von Kaisenberg head of Continental Intelligence in Tunisia.”

Gabriel shook hands with both men, and the trio sat down. Once seated, Blackman turned to address the agent.

“Right Gabriel, I have brought you here because we have an issue that we believe you can help us solve.”

“What kind of issue would that be?” Gabriel replied slowly. Almost immediately, the German cleared his throat to speak.

“Well Gabriel, we have read over your files and we must say we are very impressed with your track record in Libya. It says here that you were able to track down an extremely elusive Warlord of the Global Liberation Army and personally see to the elimination of several major factions acting against European interests in North Africa.”

“Yes, although I was assisted by several local militia who wanted to see the GLA gone” Gabriel replied.

“That is what makes you actions in Libya even more extraordinary Agent Gabriel” Cheng interjected, “you were able to make use of what you had available and to good effect too.”

Meredith, who had been watching like an agitated hawk during the exchange, finally spoke.

“Look I'm not going to beat around the bush with you Gabriel. We need someone with your experiences for another mission in Africa. Are you familiar with the name Kun Sun?”

The name did ring a vague bell from the Chinese campaigns on the African Continent, but Gabriel shook his head anyway.

Cheng opened his mouth to speak but Blackman cut him off. “Kun Sun was the Commander of the 5th regiment of the People’s Liberation in Army. The man made a name for himself during the Taiwanese Conflict and was the brains behind the removal of the GLA from Somalia.”

Blackman typed something into the touchpad on her desk and conjured up a holographic image of a very stern looking Chinese officer from the projector on her desk.

“He is a man who leads from the front and is extremely popular with his soldiers and the locals who he liberated. Sort of a a 'Lawrence of Somalia' if you will." She clicked a button and an image of dozens of dead chinese soldiers came up "However four months ago Sun was leading an expedition into the Eastern Rainforests of Ethiopia when he and his men suddenly went rogue, dozens of his men were found dead, all attempts to contact surviving units have been unsuccessful and the thick terrain has made aerial reconnaissance impossible.”

Cheng took this opportunity to speak again.

“Commander Sun represents a significant security risk, not to mention an embarrassment to China. At the moment we can only speculate as to what has enticed him to betray his country but we cannot rule out the notion that he may have turned over to our enemies.”

“So why not send your men in?” Gabriel asked simply. “Why come to us?”

“Chinese agents who were sent after Sun have also disappeared” Von Kaisenberg answered with a shrug. “His position as Commander means he has been privy to a lot of sensitive information over the years, and may very well recognize Chinese agents that attempt to enter into his midst.”

“So you're sending someone not of their agency” Gabriel replied flatly, his eyebrow rising as if to underline the point.

“That is correct” Blackman answered with a nod.

Gabriel paused for a moment picking his next words carefully. “If I may be so bold as to ask mam; how does Sun’s disappearance or defection affect us?”

Cheng shot him a dark look, but he was interrupted this time by Von Kaisenberg.

“I'm not going to lie to you Gabriel, you deserve that much. It is no secret that we owe the Chinese a great deal, as somebody who has seen the subsequent reconstruction of my country, I can testify to the fact that it has been Chinese funds which have staved off total collapse.”

Blackman spoke up again. “The Chinese have offered us something of a deal for our help in this matter. We are looking at a ten billion sterling reduction in war debts to their government in exchange for helping locate Sun. You understand the ramifications of such an offer Gabriel.”

The agent sat back in his seat and sighed. Looking back at the stares of the three people before him, Gabriel knew the decision had already been made for him.

“Okay” he murmured. “When do I leave?”

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 19 Oct 2012, 21:20

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
MARS
post 17 Oct 2012, 7:27
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Gotta say, I also like the idea of debt reductions as an incentive for the Europeans to run errands for China. That's one legitimately clever plot point that works perfectly well within the context of the ROTR setting.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Alex1guy   A Reference to Darkness: ROTR Fanfiction Redux   17 Oct 2012, 0:02
- - __CrUsHeR   Congratulations on this epic narrative, was very w...   17 Oct 2012, 0:41
- - MARS   Good to see some more of your fan-fiction. Really ...   17 Oct 2012, 5:12
|- - Alex1guy   QUOTE (MARS @ 17 Oct 2012, 6:12) Good to ...   17 Oct 2012, 5:17
- - WNxMastrefubu   very well written, the music/rainymood were a grea...   17 Oct 2012, 7:02
- - MARS   Gotta say, I also like the idea of debt reductions...   17 Oct 2012, 7:27
- - SpiralSpectre   Love the method of your presentation. The story is...   17 Oct 2012, 9:36
- - Alex1guy   Chapter Two: Glass and Sand Music: "Barra Ba...   17 Oct 2012, 12:53
- - __CrUsHeR   You wrote the second part faster than I thought th...   17 Oct 2012, 13:18
|- - Alex1guy   QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 17 Oct 2012, 14:18) Yo...   17 Oct 2012, 21:01
- - aeroth   well this is quite enjoyable to read   17 Oct 2012, 13:22
- - Alex1guy   Chapter Three: Dejavu: Music: Chinese Theme BF2...   18 Oct 2012, 4:18
- - __CrUsHeR   I like those things involving betrayal, spies and ...   18 Oct 2012, 23:49
- - Joakim   很好! When I saw that you had l...   19 Oct 2012, 22:08
- - InsurgentCell   Man, mandarin is like ... impossible! And i am...   20 Oct 2012, 2:33
- - Alex1guy   QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 19 Oct 2012, 0:49) I l...   20 Oct 2012, 3:42
- - Casojin   This is quite interesting story. Thumb's up.   20 Oct 2012, 12:43
- - SpiralSpectre   Interesting read. Nicely written. A pale skin Euro...   20 Oct 2012, 17:10
- - flyingpancake   It's a great read, like the music you pick for...   22 Oct 2012, 16:51
- - Alex1guy   Sorry about the delay guys, I've written most ...   23 Oct 2012, 22:07
- - Generalcamo   NOOO!! THE SHOW MUST GO ON! Please te...   31 Oct 2012, 1:34
- - Alex1guy   Sorry about the delay guys and gal's! Here...   1 Nov 2012, 1:04
|- - __CrUsHeR   QUOTE (Alex1guy @ 31 Oct 2012, 22:04) He ...   1 Nov 2012, 12:10
- - Generalcamo   That part, was sort of confusing. It took me a whi...   5 Nov 2012, 1:13
- - flyingpancake   I hope your still writing for this, cause i want t...   8 Dec 2012, 12:45
- - swedishplayer-97   When is the next part coming, or have I missed ano...   11 May 2013, 23:39

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 June 2024 - 7:19