IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Will the Phalanx be the only US ship with AA-capabilities?, Because the Ticonderoga or LaWS-Destroyer work, too
SeraphsWrath
post 22 Nov 2015, 0:15
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12343

I know that the niche of total air-defense is already occupied by the Phalanx cruiser, but I wanted to know if that would be the only US AA ship, seeing as, on land, the US gets: Missile Defenders, Humvees (+TOW upgrade), and Avengers, and Avengers are by far the strongest in that role.

Actually, the Phalanx pretty much functions as a naval Avenger, whereas a Ticonderoga-class cruiser, with the AEGIS system, functions more as a Paladin Tank, but with SAMs instead of anti-missile equipment (to be fair, it has both, but not as much of the latter as the Paladin has).

Also, may I suggest a reference to the real-life US Navy's new LaWS system, exemplified on the destroyer USS Dewey, which functions more as an Anti-Air, Anti-Fast Attack Boat (such as suicide boats) role?

I have a link to a video demonstrating the Laser Warfare System in action against both surface vessels and UAVs.
Laser Warfare System (LaWS)

Finally, will all/most ships have a countermeasures upgrade, seeing as they have and have had missile-defenses since the Cold War (from flares+chaff to the dual-purpose Phalanx to the high-tech Millenium Gun)?

This post has been edited by SeraphsWrath: 22 Nov 2015, 0:21
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31 May 2024 - 20:30