Reply to this topicStart new topic
Command prompt screen crash semi-fix
HippoBirdy
post 22 Feb 2010, 17:25
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 769

I've had the same difficulties that many people had with the normal ROTR startup showing a command prompt screen that flashes, and promptly crashes without doing anything. I've found that renaming the following four files from GIB files to BIG files allows you to run ROTR from the normal generals starter: 0000AIROTR.gib, 0000BetaROTR.gib, 00000BetaROTRPatch.gib, and 0000RotrContent.gib.

While the game does run when you rename these, the AI seems to be bugged, since whenever you start a game with an AI, the game is ended with you victorious about 5 seconds later. I feel like I've missed something. What exactly do the ROTR batch file startups doing when you run them, and can it be reproduced merely by renaming/moving files?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alias
post 22 Feb 2010, 17:38
Post #2

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 46

I've been running all my Zero Hour mods without the given launcher for many years now, and all it takes is a bit of manually renaming, as you did yourself.

The bug where the AI commits suicide is unrelated to the mods, it's the game's copy protection working. Delete the Zero Hour folder and reinstall everything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HippoBirdy
post 1 Mar 2010, 17:29
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 769

Actually, I've managed to fix that too. There's a scripts folder zh/data/scripts. Renaming it to eg_data fixes the AI problems.

Could we get a sticky for one of these threads dealing with this issue? It seems to come up a lot in newer computers, and some people are abandoning ROTR after having these issues, since there's no easily found instructions for dealing with it. I had to go looking through the manuals and forums for several hours before finding the info I needed.

This post has been edited by HippoBirdy: 1 Mar 2010, 17:32

+Quote Post
Acolyte
post 15 May 2011, 19:21
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 8829

The command prompt issue can be fixed more easily and smoothly by renaming RotR.dat to RotR.exe and running the executable as admin.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 15:53