VDV SQUAD, How?
Jet02
post 27 Dec 2016, 8:41
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13185

How does one actually use a vdv squad?

People keep talking about how effective the vdv drop is against anything that doesn't fly, but i can't make them last more tham 1 minute.

Is dropping them behind enemy lines(i.e. in the middle of a base) l(ike what most would do with a spec ops unit) a viable tactic?

Is the vdv even a special ops unit in the conventional sense?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 27 Dec 2016, 8:49
Post #2

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

They're more of a pvp thing than a pve thing, but that said, just keep them away from base defence they can't kill.
So yes, dropping them behind the enemy base is a useful thing to do.

However, unlike the spec ops drop for the us, the vdv exists as more of a force multiplier.
They can be used to bruteforce and back up your main army, or they can operate independently and eliminate all the pesky vehicles and infantry that get in their way.

Hope that helped a little smile.gif

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 27 Dec 2016, 10:06
Post #3

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

It's like a heavy armed version of conscripts drops than anything. VDVs don't bombard shits from long range like Delta, or do guerrilla attacks with stealth like commando. You know exactly where they are after the landing and should be using counters like air and artillery to kill them, but if you failed they will break your stuffs like the average units.

I'm one of those who play safe and just use them on my base defensively, whenever somebody is making an attack. Nobody expect a VDV drop right behind theirs artillery and AAA.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 27 Dec 2016, 10:07

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 27 Dec 2016, 10:24
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 11210

QUOTE (Jet02 @ 27 Dec 2016, 12:41) *
How does one actually use a vdv squad?

People keep talking about how effective the vdv drop is against anything that doesn't fly, but i can't make them last more tham 1 minute.

Is dropping them behind enemy lines(i.e. in the middle of a base) l(ike what most would do with a spec ops unit) a viable tactic?

Is the vdv even a special ops unit in the conventional sense?

Try to drop them in place where is not much AA units and no helis or make sure that you have AA support for them where you drop them. Anyway VDV is purely bruteforce specops. Their main aim is destroy all living and non-living forces they are effective against any ground unit. The only thing that can stop them is arty and air units vs other units they are pretty effective. Also recommend to use them with conscript drop (if you ranking up very fast while assaulting enemies base) because this is very good addition to you army especcially during earlymid game.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 27 Dec 2016, 10:30
Post #5

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Keep watching this till your question is answerd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 27 Dec 2016, 10:56
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 27 Dec 2016, 17:30) *

*instructions unclear, watches The Engineer Song instead

Jokes aside.... apparently vdv guys work pretty well when used in conjunction with vehicle blobs. The vehicles absorb most of the fire while the vdv guys return it to whoever it came from.

+Quote Post
Purple
post 27 Dec 2016, 11:23
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 13498

The way I use it is that I just flat out drop them on top of my base. After several times doing that they have a big enough blob that I can just add some artillery and AA and send them out as my main attack force.

--------------------
Things I like:
- Tank blobs.
- Infantry blobs.
- BMP.

Things I dislike:
- Aggressive amounts of micromanagement.
- Superweapon whack-a-mole.

+Quote Post
Shalom
post 27 Dec 2016, 11:30
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10034

QUOTE (Jet02 @ 27 Dec 2016, 11:56) *
*instructions unclear, watches The Engineer Song instead

Jokes aside.... apparently vdv guys work pretty well when used in conjunction with vehicle blobs. The vehicles absorb most of the fire while the vdv guys return it to whoever it came from.

I use them as (slightly) more squishy on demand Shocktroopers but with higher dps, hiding them between my advancing tanks. They can handle some of the AOE aimed at a vehicle column and add significant damage to your force with decent range. However, this may not be the optimal way to use them since their transport kinda just gets added to the attack blob and not doing any sneaky stuff, though with the mortar it can act like a vehicle version of the VDV, decent range but squishy.

+Quote Post
Scud
post 27 Dec 2016, 12:13
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 11600

Also, always try to mix the VDV with the others GPs, specially the Backfire Strike and MOAB wich you need to use to take out enemies powerplants/defenses before your units hit the ground, if you time it correctly alongside the Armor Reserves you practilly get a GG combination.

PD: don't waste 1 GP on that stupid conscript drop, use yours VDV's riflemans to get inside the Armor Reserves, istead get at least a level 2 VDV drop, the FOAB (a late game must have GP) and some of backfire support or the armor reservers to get some AA.

--------------------
AzizAmbush to Bruce: "No, you take the oil, you're America"

+Quote Post
Purple
post 27 Dec 2016, 12:19
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 13498

Conscript drop can be rather good when combined with the repair thing that lets you resurrect your dead vehicles.

--------------------
Things I like:
- Tank blobs.
- Infantry blobs.
- BMP.

Things I dislike:
- Aggressive amounts of micromanagement.
- Superweapon whack-a-mole.

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 27 Dec 2016, 12:35
Post #11

Guardsman
Group Icon

Conscript reserves grant field quarters. It's not useless.

Spamming conscripts from 4 mobile barracks right in front of the enemy base is no joke.

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 27 Dec 2016, 13:08
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

QUOTE (Scud @ 27 Dec 2016, 13:13) *
PD: don't waste 1 GP on that stupid conscript drop

PD: Do waste a GP on that Conscript drop :^)

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 27 Dec 2016, 18:29
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 27 Dec 2016, 14:30) *

Nice song!

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 27 Dec 2016, 21:17
Post #14

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

The conscript gp is amazingly useful, how can you say its bad? lol

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 27 Dec 2016, 22:23
Post #15

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 27 Dec 2016, 23:17) *
The conscript gp is amazingly useful, how can you say its bad? lol

You see this?
This is Jarmen Kell

In order to remove Sneaky Kebab sniper
You need to rain down sneaky parashuting conscripts
Questions? Nyet?
Now Rash B you cykas

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shalom
post 28 Dec 2016, 0:17
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 10034

QUOTE (Purple @ 27 Dec 2016, 13:19) *
Conscript drop can be rather good when combined with the repair thing that lets you resurrect your dead vehicles.

I think Conscripts from the Drop do like 4 times the damage of a VDV Squad for 1 single GP point. Plus they all have BMP/IFV/Artillery/Baneblade Driving Licenses biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 28 Dec 2016, 3:09
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 28 Dec 2016, 5:23) *

You see this?
This is Jarmen Kell

In order to remove Sneaky Kebab sniper
You need to rain down sneaky parashuting conscripts
Questions? Nyet?
Now Rash B you cykas

Ur intelligence is srsly outdated commander kebab sniper lost half his hand to shovel while planting roadside potato years ago

Also vi have KROKODILS

This post has been edited by Jet02: 28 Dec 2016, 3:09

+Quote Post
Scud
post 28 Dec 2016, 7:09
Post #18

Group Icon

OK FINE, Take that stupid conscript drop GP against GLA... But the fields are meh, conscript are easy to mass just from barracks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 28 Dec 2016, 9:28
Post #19

Guardsman
Group Icon

Barracks can't unpack and need large build spaces. Unless this is TD, getting more than 1 barracks in front of an enemy base is down right impossible. Dozers always die.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 28 Dec 2016, 9:29

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Scud
post 28 Dec 2016, 11:19
Post #20

Group Icon

Just micro two BMPs. Hell, you don't even need to waste money to do it mid/late game, just get some for free from the VDV support power. You drop them, take the BMDs back to base, fill them with some infatry or vodka and keep the rest (the VDV infantry doing some damage or supporting your main force) just remember to protect them with some AA, and don't say "but they are fragile and bla bla" because as X1 pointed the dozer are fragile too and most Gen/ZH maps are really small. My point is Russia is a micro-friendly yea' but just imagine how much better results one can get if we micro our forces and air strikes, most player only micro their helos, they don't even make use of their MTPs recover ability or the transport capabilities of the Hind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 28 Dec 2016, 11:28
Post #21

Guardsman
Group Icon

I do micro everytime I play as Russia. Smoke grenades are great but after the nerf they now need even more precise timing to use. You don't auto spam them anymore as they only last for 5 seconds now. Boris, MTP resurrection, manually targeting enemy tanks with Sentinels, Grizzly's frag bursts......are other examples.

However, there's still not much to do when playing as Russia compared to USA. The amount of shits that need attention is just way too much. Not in a bad way though.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 28 Dec 2016, 11:31

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Scud
post 28 Dec 2016, 14:25
Post #22

Group Icon

First, sorry for being off topic. I agree with you, the Buratino and the Sentinel sometimes doesn't feel like they look. The buratino explosion doesn't do the damage like a fuel air rocket do, most damage is made by the explosion shockwave not in the epicenter, wich it would be cool and unique behaviour for an artillery piece in RotR, still I love how efficient is against GLA/China mobs, on the other hand, the Sentinel is so BIG and SLOW in everything it does that sometimes it does more bad than good (but that may be SAGE's awful pathfinding). I won't mind the nerfs and limitation of most russian units, their mayor problem is their silly movement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 28 Dec 2016, 15:29
Post #23

Guardsman
Group Icon

Sentinel movement being jerky is due to the weird 4 treads design I think. There are times where the front part steered of the course and the vehicle got stuck while trying to attack an enemy out of its range.

This probably wouldn't change, and I can still handle it to a certain degree.

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 29 Dec 2016, 7:12
Post #24

Group Icon

Guys use formations and even 10 sents will move and fire better. Stuck when try to fire unit that outrange? Well thats the problem of all sageunits. Simply if unit is smaller then there are less problems with moving. I solved problems with sentinels simply order them to move into guard position where i want to strike and when they reach right place just use A attack button and after micro each sent to gain max firepower with minimum wastes of it. Prevent from shooting to targets which have low hp because sent will just waste his 300dmg to 100hp target.. Give this orders to kodiaks or other smaller units with faster ROF. Russia haveway more micromanagement thing that you thinks. They are just a bit differ from USA Gla or others

+Quote Post
Scud
post 30 Dec 2016, 7:04
Post #25

Group Icon

If the Sentinel and the rest of Generals units AI were smarter to pick targets like in CNC3 not only formation will be the perfect solution, if that was the case I could just ram them against enemies units the sentinel will shot the cannon against vehicles (if they are inside their range) and roll over the pesky infantry. The most notables problem with the old Generals Ctrl-F or "formation command" it isn't work like the one in CnC3, in Generals you need to create the "formation" manually, in CnC3 by default the units you move mantain the move speed of the slower unit in the group, and if you use the "left-click+right-click" shortcut, the game automaticlly get your artillery units behind your tanks and the infantry on the front. Another problem with the formation move is (if I remember right) it doesn't work with the "attack move" command. My suggestion in that case is to atleast move those units like most artillery with the attack move behind the units you move with the Ctrl-F, most of these units are to slow to pass even units like the golem, the Sentinel, Manticore and ECAs Tank Destroy could be the exceptions, it alto make the micro with them a lot easier. This work great with Sentinels+Buratino, Overlords+infernos, almost anything usa as + Tomas+Drones vehicle... thing

Another good tip is to use Guard Mode with every "single" artillery/bomber to emulate the "assault" command from cnc3 and to prevent situations like 4 Nighthawk dropping their bombs against a single unit / building. But most of you guys do this already if I'm not wrong.

This post has been edited by Scud: 30 Dec 2016, 7:14

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16 April 2024 - 14:55