IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
A Question for Testers, Do testers experiment with INI files as part of testing?
Jakato
post 12 Feb 2018, 14:16
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16473

I've noted that a few testers know their way around INI files. I'm beginning to wonder if you need to know your way around the INI files as one condition of being a tester. It would be useful from a efficiency perspective if a tester can think "the Leopard needs a little bit more damage" and then try the extra damage straight away without waiting on the devs. This lets you explore ideas before making all the other testers devote time to your idea.

I'm guessing another condition of the testing is knowing what RotR is meant to be and what it is meant to become. This would make sure that solutions to gameplay and balance problems don't corrupt the "essence" of RotR.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 12 Feb 2018, 14:45
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

Not really, you become one if you know the game, can play a certain faction or the game in general well, and are held in high enough regard to be noticed and, perhaps, admitted. Out of all the ROTR testers, there are two main people who concern themselves with INI files, and there are - or were - internal patches that test certain things before they are proposed or agreed on :8

This post has been edited by Hanfield: 12 Feb 2018, 14:45

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 12 Feb 2018, 14:52
Post #3

Arena maker
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10203

Not a requirement, as most testers have been offered the opportunity. However, it's certainly useful and an advantage when tweaking the game or making more customized maps.

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 12 Feb 2018, 15:03
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 12 Feb 2018, 15:45) *
Not really, you become one if you know the game, can play a certain faction or the game in general well.

You sure don't want a tester listing "problems" caused by their noobiness.

I think the Generals INI files are fairly straighforward. You just need a little "starter" help (provided by you in my case) and the rest can be worked out. However it may be easier for me since I'm a programmer. Then again the INI stuff doesn't really seem like code to me. Anyway the point is the INI stuff seems something that most interested people should be able to understand.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 12 Feb 2018, 15:17
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

It's not a pastime for everyone - most testers just play the game and base it on their experience and observation

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 12 Feb 2018, 15:38
Post #6

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 12 Feb 2018, 17:17) *
It's not a pastime for everyone - most testers just play the game and base it on their experience and observation

Basically this,

Its mostly important to know what the tiny difference is between MELEE and SNIPER damage (One triggers blood animation the other doesnt)

Im probably remembering this wrong and Hanfield will correct me but small arms and Comanche Vulcan are pretty much the same other then one of them being able to kill gunners, same with gattling damage, It cant kill the dushka gunner or stinger soldier.

The rest doesn't really matter because sage is such a unique engine, at times you feel like you can do nothing, but then you realise people who are adapt can use very cleaver tricks to add new mechanics or find ways around issues.

This video does explain things well

Balance testing is important but making sure the game works is whats most important , alongside units,factions and roles are played correctly is also very important.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 12 Feb 2018, 17:32
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 12 Feb 2018, 16:38) *
Basically this,

Its mostly important to know what the tiny difference is between MELEE and SNIPER damage (One triggers blood animation the other doesnt)

Im probably remembering this wrong and Hanfield will correct me but small arms and Comanche Vulcan are pretty much the same other then one of them being able to kill gunners, same with gattling damage, It cant kill the dushka gunner or stinger soldier.

The rest doesn't really matter because sage is such a unique engine, at times you feel like you can do nothing, but then you realise people who are adapt can use very cleaver tricks to add new mechanics or find ways around issues.

This video does explain things well

Balance testing is important but making sure the game works is whats most important , alongside units,factions and roles are played correctly is also very important.

I guess drastic changes like making veteran Leopards have EMP damage on their shells may be considered too risky since they could force you to redo a lot of testing. The "experience and observation" Hanfield talked about probably helps you skip over those kinds of ideas.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 12 Feb 2018, 17:40
Post #8

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Why on earth would you want to add subdue damage to a main battle tank?

Like really....why? Jut for the lolz or do you see them lacking or something?

I hope your meant subdue and not actual EMP, you know the thing that disables something in one shot regardless like the emp bomb?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 12 Feb 2018, 17:50
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 12 Feb 2018, 18:40) *
Why on earth would you want to add subdue damage to a main battle tank?

Like really....why? Jut for the lolz or do you see them lacking or something?

I hope your meant subdue and not actual EMP, you know the thing that disables something in one shot regardless like the emp bomb?

Yeah I meant subdue damage, which I added for fun. It was a sort of reference to the way veteran units in RA2 can get interesting attacks.

That being said, the ECA tanks seemed quite weak and clumsy. It turned out that the fix that worked for me was just to make the Leopard, Gepard and Jagmammut have the same sight and shroud clearing range. So far, this seems to make them work better together.

I'm the one player who cannot install 1.86 or above so basically I'm in my own isolated bubble. For all I know Leopards are fine now. Also I play in a conservative way that avoids micromanagement even if it will let me win faster. So take what I say with a shipment of salt.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 12 Feb 2018, 17:58

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 16:47