Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vista noob needs halp, Getting "not found" messages on alot of .exe files
accomplice
post 6 Jul 2009, 22:07
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 166

Note: I assume this problem originates from me messing with regedit, but I maybe totally off.

A few days ago, I got my new laptop with Vista business 64bit.
After getting the anti virus running and up to date, I started installing stuff.

Soon afterwards, I felt the urge to direct my default programs path to something else but 'C:\programs (x86)'. That (x86) thing confuses me anyways.
So, I went to the registry, and found 'ProgramFilesDir' and 'ProgramFilesDir (x86)' the LOCAL_Machine...windows\currentversion\ .
Changed both to something on 'E:\'. And since I saw some entry named 'Common Files' which were pointing to 'C:\' as well, I changed both of them to 'F:\'

Next step (after getting on firefox, nero, alcohol, winrar and the obligatory stuff), I wanted to install vGenerals from some CD images. Told it to install to 'E:\' And all it does is to copy a single .big file to 'E:\' and send the rest still to 'C:\Programs (x86)'.

So I went back to regedit, reset the programfilesdir entries to the original, and reinstalled vGen. Worked fine, ran fine. Did the same with vZH, all clear. Then put on RotR and ShW, both ran.

But today, when I tried to open Shockwave.exe, I get a "not found" message, though it's sitting there in its folder right in front of my eyes. Starting it from the .bat files works though. Same goes for Rotr.exe.
But other applications, such as regedit, or msconfig which worked just fine the other day now throw this "not found" message as well. Even some Control Panel applications cannot be found now, though they clearly exist.
On a different non-admin acount I could still run the regedit, anyways, I'm really worried, since so many \system32\ applications are declared as not found (including system recovery, no systemPropertiesAdvanced...)

Does it have to do with me changing the common files and programfilesdir? Or did I catch a virus? at least my virus scanner did not find anything...

This post has been edited by accomplice: 6 Jul 2009, 22:31
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 7 Jul 2009, 0:03
Post #2

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Well, since you tryed things in the registry and now have those errors:
When did they come up the first time, I mean, the direct next time you activated your pc or later? If it was the first one, then it is caused by your registry changing. If you can still use your programs on other accounts, just make a new account for yourself if possible and delete the old one^^ Anyway, playing russian roulette with the registry is rarely useful when you have no idea of which entry does what. Next time, use a program like TuneUp or get an online tutorial please.

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 7 Jul 2009, 0:39
Post #3

Group Icon

Well, my notebook was all set up and activated. After that I did the registry change. I just did the same as on my old XP, but vista seems to be a bit more unforgiving hehe. (only program I can use on another account is regedit, duh)

Currently reinstalling the whole darn thing including all these bloody drivers. And grabbing a tuneup tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 7 Jul 2009, 2:03
Post #4

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Friendly Freelancer

Get TuneUp 2008 or better 2009, since all older versions slow Vista down instead of making it better wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 7 Jul 2009, 14:06
Post #5

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

I use CCleaner, it can let you get a backup of the registry before you fix the errors it finds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 7 Jul 2009, 14:14
Post #6

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Friendly Freelancer

I used CCleaner as well, but now I have TuneUp which contains all functions of CCleaner and has many more. Also BTT:
Have you fixed the errors accomplice?

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 7 Jul 2009, 17:11
Post #7

Group Icon

Reinstall went smooth and TuneUp2009 works fine. *leaves finger from regedit* smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 7 Jul 2009, 19:23
Post #8

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

I too installed TuneUp2009 after your recommendation.
I got the full version though not-so-legitimate means. And I've gotta say it's far better than CCleaner

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prophet of the P...
post 7 Jul 2009, 23:57
Post #9

Don't Piss him off.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12
Projects: SWR Tester
Hookah Addict

open bat files in notepad. replace all c:\ to d:\ or where ever the hell the files are located. The installer doesn't change the bat files.

--------------------
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 16:54