Reply to this topicStart new topic
The movie that drove me insane
MARS
post 22 May 2011, 11:36
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Yesterday, I watched what may very well be one of, if not THE worst movie of the first decade: Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus

Yep, it's one of those Asylum movies. Terrible plot, godawful CGI that makes early PS2 graphics look cutting-edge and some of the worst dialogue I have ever seen in a movie. As the title suggests, this one is about a giant prehistoric shark fighting against a giant prehistoric octopus. How giant are they? Well, the shark is big enough to eat a friggin' 747. Why am I using that as an example? Cos that's exactly what it does in the movie; 747 flies over ocean, shark jumps out of the water, eats 747 in mid-air. The octopus on the other hand is big enough to tear down an oil platform and throw submarines.

In addition to this potentially awesome, yet stupidly executed premise, which the movie plays with a painfully straight face, you get your typical garden variety of stereotypical characters, including the closest thing to a human bad guy who's running the entire military operation to destroy the monsters. He's a slimy, ponytail-wearing macho dirtbag with an ill-defined position of authority (he doesn't even look in any way military, yet giving orders to friggin' admirals without ANY semblance of professional respect) dropping clanger after clanger with several culturally insensitive statements, including racial slurs against Japanese people and and an Irish character to the point where it probably says more about the script writers - and in this particular case, the people who localised the script - than it says about the actual character.

On top of that, there's tons of very stupid, very unsubtle political references, like how the USA totally blew it on hurricane Katrina, that modern science is mostly evil, that the shark and the octopus are somehow nature's revenge for global warming and, for some utterly bizarre reason, even a random Guantanamo reference thrown in for good measure. And since I saw the movie on television, it was all dubbed in German, mostly by people who really, REALLY shouldn't dub ANYthing. The point where I literally lost what little sanity I had left in my mind came when the heroine remarked that, "the shark and the octopus are natural enemies that fight each other out of HATRED and that they HATE each other so much that they kept fighting each other, against their survival instinct, WHILE the ice age was starting and that they got frozen in a glacier BY the ice age WHILE STILL FIGHTING EACHOTHER". I shit you not; when I heard this, I literally noticed something in my head going 'snap'. I don't know what it was yet, but here's hoping it wasn't too important...

As for my final verdict, I do, despite all criticisms, recommend that you should watch this movie. If it doesn't outright break your mind, you may still have a few great laughs, especially with friends around which I, unfortunately, hadn't.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 22 May 2011, 16:46
Post #2

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 4
Projects: Retired

The 747 shark attack scene makes it worth watching the movie IMO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 22 May 2011, 19:31
Post #3

Group Icon

I especially liked how one of the passengers tells the stewardess that he'll be getting married in two days, completely unasked and out of any context.
It's like the script writers deliberately put that in, thinking it'd make us care for these people...which didn't work.

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 23 May 2011, 3:05
Post #4

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Only the Japanese are gifted enough to pass something this silly as serious.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ComeOn
post 26 May 2011, 0:48
Post #5

OH, F***!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 295
Inferno shells, anyone? ;)

The title itself made me want to laugh.
And groan.
At the same time.

This post has been edited by ComeOn: 26 May 2011, 0:50

--------------------
Hello, comrades.
Before I start, I must ask one question: how do you think battles are won? If you answered "It just take a lot of men", then I may suggest you to leave the academy. Why will I say that? It is because battles are not won just by simply shooting down your enemies: it also takes emotions to fight a battle. Hope, courage, pride, honor, love: these are the main emotions that it takes to win a battle. Yes, your equipment, your skills, and your genetics are very important, but it all boils down to one thing: Do you have the WILL to fight?
Class is dismissed.
WARNING: Watching this may result in losing your manliness.

Yep: I'm a rusty sword. VERY rusty. :/

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 26 May 2011, 15:36
Post #6

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Another terrible but at the same time entertaining movie is The Room. Directed, written and produced by Tommy Wiseau.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 26 May 2011, 16:57
Post #7

Group Icon

You forgot to mention that he also plays the main character. The entire film is pretty much the guy's personal wish-fulfilment wank-fantasy.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 4 Jul 2011, 19:47
Post #8

Group Icon

Attention to all German members: Stay the hell away from channel TELE5 tonight. There's another Asylum movie on right now; Transmorphers, which is basically a really terrible version of Terminator with a faux-Transformers title slabbed on. All you really need to know is this: In 2009, we found life on another planet, 20 million lightyears away. We sent a message of peace. FIVE YEARS LATER, we received their answer - in the form of an invasion by millions of killer CGI robots. Now, 95% of humanity are dead and it's up to a bunch of bland, bitchy pseudo-militaries in leather jackets who address female superiors as 'sir' to stop them. And before anyone asks, none of this was added by the localisation; the original script really is that bad.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 14:17