Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mod idea, Had an idea for a mod for CoH, asking for permission
Catbert
post 13 Nov 2013, 7:36
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9507

Got back to playing company of heroes. Had an idea to set it in the Generals universe, more specifically something along the lines of ROTR factions and units. While the chances of anything happening is slight (My modding experience is limited to stats, balancing etc), I just wanted to check that whether I am allowed to borrow unit designs, ideas, inspirations etc, with credit, of course.

Heck, if not, I probably can just stick to trying to make the vanilla factions anyways...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chappi55
post 13 Nov 2013, 13:50
Post #2

Particle effects since 2004'
Group Icon

Member No.: 9029

Why would you need to ask about this? tongue.gif
It's not like designs/ideas are copyrighted. Hell, if your mod is for personal use you can use any mod assets you wish as long as you won't release it publicly/claim the assets as your own.

You should check sleipnirstuff forum, it's a dead place but it has a huge topic of free to use W3D models for generals/zh.

--------------------
Woo Particle effects!

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 13 Nov 2013, 21:02
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 123

I think he wants to mod CoH, not ZH, right?

And if he wants to use ideas from RotR I think it was a good idea to ask first.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 13 Nov 2013, 21:03

+Quote Post
Chappi55
post 14 Nov 2013, 15:25
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Stalker @ 13 Nov 2013, 21:02) *
I think he wants to mod CoH, not ZH, right?

And if he wants to use ideas from RotR I think it was a good idea to ask first.

True dat, didn't read closely enough. Why would he need to ask Rotr for permission to use their ideas? They're not copyrighted and he's not selling them or anything.
Of course blatantly copying something and stating it's yours is a dick move, but even if he used somebody elses idea and provided credit there's no need to ask.

--------------------
Woo Particle effects!

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 14 Nov 2013, 15:56
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 123

QUOTE (Chappi55 @ 14 Nov 2013, 15:25) *
True dat, didn't read closely enough. Why would he need to ask Rotr for permission to use their ideas? They're not copyrighted and he's not selling them or anything.
Of course blatantly copying something and stating it's yours is a dick move, but even if he used somebody elses idea and provided credit there's no need to ask.

Everything you create is copyrighted (at least in my country). And unique design like the Sentinel is their creation. It's probably not a huge problem, but it's still nice to ask first. Of course this doesn't apply to RL stuff like a TOPOL-M for example.

+Quote Post
Catbert
post 15 Nov 2013, 7:07
Post #6

Group Icon

You got it. I am trying to mod CoH. Might put up scans of some sketches and ideas if I have time.
Hell, even try to actually get this thing off the drawing board as well?!

+Quote Post
Chappi55
post 15 Nov 2013, 15:52
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Stalker @ 14 Nov 2013, 15:56) *
Everything you create is copyrighted (at least in my country). And unique design like the Sentinel is their creation. It's probably not a huge problem, but it's still nice to ask first. Of course this doesn't apply to RL stuff like a TOPOL-M for example.

Sorry for going offtopic but,

I'm not saying that we should go and claim their stuff as our own, but to be honest it's not copyrighted at all. They're not selling it, so they can't enforce anything on anyone. They've done something and put it up in the internet for download. I don't remember if there was a specific part regarding copyrights/permissions in rotr's readme, but it's the same as if I actually drew a cat and put it as a download here, saying that "Credit me if you use it". It's still not copyrighted because I'm fully dependant on the internet users to follow my wish or not.

As for ideas, did they patent them? tongue.gif I think not, so I can model/texture/script a sentinel and I don't have to say that I'm using their ideas.
Of course blatantly copying something and claiming it as your own is a dick move, but to be honest I never really played rotr so I wouldn't want to be called a thief simply because I've coded/textured something that looks like their mod asset.

In conclusion to my rant, you DON'T HAVE to ask for anything if you're using it only as a private mod that's not going to be released. Though it'll be nice to credit the original authors even if it's private.
If you're going to release the mod, then don't be a huge dick and ask for permission as some people are ultra anal about their work and in most cases I fully understand them.

--------------------
Woo Particle effects!

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 15 Nov 2013, 16:14
Post #8

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (Chappi55 @ 15 Nov 2013, 15:52) *
In conclusion to my rant, you DON'T HAVE to ask for anything if you're using it only as a private mod that's not going to be released. Though it'll be nice to credit the original authors even if it's private.

If you're going to release the mod, then don't be a huge dick and ask for permission as some people are ultra anal about their work and in most cases I fully understand them.

Technically you can't get legally axed for stealing mod assets and such and dickwaving by not giving proper credits, you'll just have a really bad name within the community and people will hate you to the very bottom. Also put in trust issues.

As for the subject, if you do go with it eventually, I'd love to see how the Paladin turns out a way or another 8llaniflip.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Catbert
post 16 Nov 2013, 5:17
Post #9

Group Icon

As for the Paladin tank, I plan to modify the Abrams models already made for CoH. How the hell I can code in the PDL is another story...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 20:21