Reply to this topicStart new topic
RoTR in SC2 (yes, again)
spookeydonkey
post 28 Dec 2017, 1:40
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13995

I put this topic here because, as best said in The Walking Dead, "Stupid MF'ers thing Smart MF'ers are Crazy MF'ers.

Let the hate begin:

I honestly don't think we will ever see a final form of this mod that will made whatever players are left happy. Naturally that's to be expected, but I believe if we ever see a 2.0 it's just gonna be a "we/I finished all this, here to you go, no more coming" type of thing. Which is fine, I can't believe some madmen are still supporting this game in 2017. It's like kinda sad that we don't have any awsome RTS games around. Starcraft 2 doesn't count, it's a game where the top tier only use like 2 units and it's a game where you just expand or die.

This game is like that, but a lot more fun.

I don't expect anyone to ever port more than a handful of units to SC2, but if anyone ever wanted to try, they should def steal models/units from ROTR or base ZH. Maybe tune SC2 to be more like ZH, but that would take a pretty deep understanding of SC2's mechanics.

I would pay $500 USD to anyone who could make a few decent conversions...at a fast pace.

If anyone is bothering why focus on SC2, it's already on it's way out etc...well, I don't think we will have a big name like SC2 ever again in the RTS space. SC2 brings in players (not sure about creators...didn't check out any SC2 mods as I rarely play it) and possibly talented mod makers. The engine is pretty solid, the netplay is pretty solid (cough SWR.NET sucks cough).

And before the BS about stuff that's can't be done in SC2....a lot has been accomplished with SAGE, just imagine was a REAL engine made a REAL company that has actual TALENT on hand could accomplish. We're talking about Blizzard, not some 2nd/3rd tier company. Some units may never be able to be fully converted etc, but so what?

Lastly, I need to state that such a task would be boring, and require a bit of learning and luck. Specific versions of tools need to be dug up, and those are increasingly harder to find as time goes on (looking at you, specific version of 3DS!). After hours I was able to convert some old models to a format that the 2011 3DS (for use with SC2 Tools) could play with, but in the end it was just too much stuff for one person to do (well, one person that lacked some skills). SC2 modding info would have made stuff easier, 3D modeling info also would have helped but whatever.

I have money though and money talks. Honestly all this started with me wanting to convert a HIND and whup some Zerg sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 28 Dec 2017, 2:48
Post #2

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

I think you picked the wrong engine thou,

Why the starcraft engine?Do you hate turn rates? I love them personally

Generals is a rip off of the warcraft style, Its where you see builder units in the entire franchise
Starcraft's engine doesn't even have fixed wing aircraft (I was told a coop commander does)

If you really want to port to an engine tht can do everything but more, then switch to source 2
Dota is a port of Warcraft 3 mechanics on source.Dota maybe a joke/meme game now but there's nothing in that engine that cant handle.Plus mapping in source is easier

Also you should ask somewhere else, maybe starcraft modding to offer them to do your vision,
I doubt starcrafts engine can handle salvage,something like scorpion rocket, radiation/toxin clearing or even pilot logic, how helicopters can reload missles even if their clip has some left (Dota does thou tongue.gif)

Still, There was a guy on another thread slowly porting the mod to unity, thou Its more of a proof of concept then anything

This post has been edited by (USA)Bruce: 28 Dec 2017, 2:49

--------------------

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 28 Dec 2017, 6:23
Post #3

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

QUOTE (spookeydonkey @ 28 Dec 2017, 10:40) *
I have money though and money talks. Honestly all this started with me wanting to convert a HIND and whup some Zerg sad.gif

Your desires are my desires.

On a serious note, if you say you have money. Why not hire a team? Im looking for opportunities to get into an decent RTS dev team atm. I wanna make some RTS!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 29 Dec 2017, 13:26
Post #4

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9941

That's a whole new level of assholery. Going into the official forums and asking to steal someone else's work for you. Genius.

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 30 Dec 2017, 1:07
Post #5

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

Honestly there is just so many things to comment on about this topic, but seeing as it is in the looney bin, I will treat it in the way the author had intended it, as a big fucking joke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 31 Dec 2017, 7:10
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (TimeBurner @ 28 Dec 2017, 6:23) *
Your desires are my desires.

On a serious note, if you say you have money. Why not hire a team? Im looking for opportunities to get into an decent RTS dev team atm. I wanna make some RTS!

I have a couple hundred bucks I could throw at it but I'm not Elon Musk to spend $10,000 on this. I mean honestly I could probably support someone for a year or something and pay a few hundred bucks a month, but that's almost begging for a project that's not completed as once the money dries up who knows what will happen.

And also once money is involved legal action may be inevitable.

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 31 Dec 2017, 7:15
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Maelstrom @ 29 Dec 2017, 13:26) *
That's a whole new level of assholery. Going into the official forums and asking to steal someone else's work for you. Genius.

Happens all the time. It really doesn't matter as nobody is/will be making any money off of it (well, I guess if someone pays someone else to port). Ever heard of the MSX computer system? A lot of companies that made games for this 80's computer system are non-existent (or exist as different companies) and their are a lot of ports of those retro games to PC and phones now.

Someone "stealing" whatever models are created doesn't really hurt SWR which is just a group of guys that very very slowlllly update their mod. In reality if anyone made such a port I doubt more than a few assets would even be used. If any such port was seriously gonna occur, attempts would definitely be made for permission to use assets anyway.

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 31 Dec 2017, 7:23
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeke @ 30 Dec 2017, 1:07) *
Honestly there is just so many things to comment on about this topic, but seeing as it is in the looney bin, I will treat it in the way the author had intended it, as a big fucking joke.

Go ahead and pick away. It's not a big fucking joke, it's a big fucking wish. It would def be a work of passion, something destined to never really be enjoyed by more than a couple dozen people most likely but costing hundreds of man-hours of work.

But, IF such a project actually was begun (it won't nor am I planning it nor is anyone ever gonna lol) but IF...what do you think the reaction would be? Ur a dev right? How would you feel? How would others feel? For shits and giggles lets just set aside the issue of asset rights (pretend permissions were granted).

I'm guessing it would make a small fork in the community, as the two mods would rarely see feature parity. Realistically, it wouldn't be a 1 to 1 port. At the very worst, however, the thing would blow up (relatively speaking) and overtake the original mod in popularity, which would probably create problems with assets etc even if permissions were given originally.

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 31 Dec 2017, 7:34
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 28 Dec 2017, 2:48) *
I think you picked the wrong engine thou,

Why the starcraft engine?Do you hate turn rates? I love them personally

Generals is a rip off of the warcraft style, Its where you see builder units in the entire franchise
Starcraft's engine doesn't even have fixed wing aircraft (I was told a coop commander does)

If you really want to port to an engine tht can do everything but more, then switch to source 2
Dota is a port of Warcraft 3 mechanics on source.Dota maybe a joke/meme game now but there's nothing in that engine that cant handle.Plus mapping in source is easier

Also you should ask somewhere else, maybe starcraft modding to offer them to do your vision,
I doubt starcrafts engine can handle salvage,something like scorpion rocket, radiation/toxin clearing or even pilot logic, how helicopters can reload missles even if their clip has some left (Dota does thou tongue.gif)

Still, There was a guy on another thread slowly porting the mod to unity, thou Its more of a proof of concept then anything

Yeah, some features probably can't really be done as originally intended. This would necessitate either scrapping of units or changing them, would create balance issues etc. Then again, there are always work-arounds, and we can't know unless we had someone with a deep knowledge/experience with SC2's engine.

The thing about making a mod vs using Source, is that for one you don't really need to be a programmer. That's a big difference. Another thing to keep in mind is that SC2 still maintains a large player base, and not to mention Blizzards servers. If you somehow program your own game, you need to solve the server issue yourself. *cough* SWR.NET isn't no BATTLE.NET *cough*

Barring a full on port, it would be nice and fun to just see a few units in the game. Forget RoTR, most people on here will be butthurt just discussing this (as if SWR is some sort of holy...SMH). There's more than a few units from the original game that would be SO much fun to use in the SC2 campaign. Laser turrets...maybe some of the general powers....or you know, a humvee w rocket dudes smile.gif

I won't bother asking anywhere else, cuz really who cares? Just me really. I think I made a topic on some blizzard forum ages ago, but it didn't get anywhere (didn't offer money either).

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 31 Dec 2017, 11:28
Post #10

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Member No.: 9941

So you're actually serious. Well, I will give you more details on this.

The team does it as a hobby. Most of us have jobs so or studies that we can't avoid. The work each of us put is the result of what we had the time and talent to do. Stealing it is just a flat out disrespect, no matter what.

Now regarding you, your money and your arrogant behavior. Money talks, but some people have that thing you know nothing about, called respect. Nobody, as a fan, would destroy the work they like. You want to do something constructive with you money ? donate it to the Red Cross, or to researchers against cancer. Now stop spamming that kind of stuff.

Edit: inappropriate language

This post has been edited by Maelstrom: 31 Dec 2017, 14:07

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 31 Dec 2017, 14:00
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

watch the language people and play nice.
any more curseing and the threads locked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NeoWarlord
post 4 Jan 2018, 15:34
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 15862
An Observer

How about making a new content (example models) that is based on ROTR's units and structures instead AND using an engine that can handle it. Bruce already gave an example. Give them a credit at least and do some parts of the work yourself. Overtime people who are interested in helping you will give you a hand. Then you might learn how they (devs) gain respect. They put their hard work in projects even tho there are many things that slows them down (For example school, their jobs etc.). Sadly not all the people can be a modder or a modeler etc. So don't do it if you think you can't handle all that work.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 11 Jan 2018, 17:17
Post #13

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

Am guessing this will take so long to properly convert to the poojt that by the time it's done, the community would've moved on to the next hot engine.

This post has been edited by Mizo: 11 Jan 2018, 17:17

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
XoGamer
post 13 Jan 2018, 14:54
Post #14

Tactically Toxic
Group Icon

Member No.: 12634

Add reptilian faction pls uwu

There unik unit shoild be illumanti

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 18:02