Homefront: The Revolution
MARS
post 6 Jun 2014, 17:29
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

First information and a trailer on Crytek's sequel to Homefront

Is it just me, or does the whole implausible 'super DPRK occupies America' premise only get worse the further they try to develop it? Now the KPA has been wanked up to the point of having all sorts of fancy high tech kit and worse yet, the game is supposed to be set in Philadelphia, suggesting that the DPRK actually managed to hold on to the Western seaboard -and- conquer even more territory beyond the Mississippi, which they irradiated to cut off the part of the US that was still under federal control. This suggests that the ending of the original game will be completely ignored; I guess the counter attack on San Francisco that the whole game was building up to was pointless and the EU didn't intervene in favour of the Americans after all. Seeing this and the Crysis series, it becomes apparent by now that Crytek absolutely sucks at story-telling, world-building and maintaining consistency with its own canon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neo3602
post 6 Jun 2014, 17:45
Post #2

Secure, Contain, Protect
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9992

I'm more surprised that they are making another one.
And although the story of the Crysis series gets a little interesting in the third game I still like it because of the multiplayer because ability to use all of the nanosuit powers that you could use in the campaign.

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 6 Jun 2014, 17:46
Post #3

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

This looks suck, really. It would have been fine if it was a completely new game, but as a sequel to Homefront this is ridiculous as hell.

The KPA in this game doesn't look anything like the one in the original. It's look like a generic futuristic Muhrica copy rather than a modernized Chinese-Korean army.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 6 Jun 2014, 17:47

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 6 Jun 2014, 18:55
Post #4

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

Well, as long as the gameplay feel like CoD or something like that (i.e. not too shitty) I'm sure the game will turn a nice profit, after all, there's plenty of patriotic American gamers with money to burn...

Or maybe, just maybe, they are trying to charm the crowd with the sheer ridiculousness of the premise of a world conquering DPRK (I'm guessing that in between the 2 games the DPRK managed to conquer the rest of the world and maybe some aliens which would explain their high tech weapons...)

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 6 Jun 2014, 20:25
Post #5

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

Just because they don't want to upset China, look what monstrosity of a story we get.
For shame, Crytek.

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Thelord444
post 6 Jun 2014, 20:39
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9986

The game had SOOOO much potential, too bad they sucked up.

--------------------
"He who heard is not like he who saw"

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 6 Jun 2014, 20:41
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

I don't know why they didn't used fictional country that resembles China (faction they wanted to use in first game) in first place,
like something guys from generals 2 wanted to do.This scenario is equally realistic as one where Fiji would occupy Moscow.

+Quote Post
Drunken_Soviet
post 6 Jun 2014, 21:32
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9680

I'd prefer another Timesplitters game, Damn that was a good game.

As for the trailer for Homefront: The Revolution, yeah I don't like the look of the KPA, in the first Homefront, at least they had the look of a modernised KPA.

Also, what's with the Zeppelins, the futuristic looking Guns and the Cyborg-like sounding voices?

EDIT: How the hell can they change from this

To this, in just 4 years???

www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Homefront-The-Revolution-Trailer-3.jpg?resize=960%2C540

This post has been edited by Drunken_Soviet: 6 Jun 2014, 21:46

--------------------
In soviet Russia signature reads YOU!!!!!

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 7 Jun 2014, 0:35
Post #9

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

Reversed engineered (i.e. done with the labor of ten of thoundends of enslaved scientists) alien hardware looted from area 51 of course!

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
MARS
post 7 Jun 2014, 8:16
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

The greatest irony about this is that I could think of too similar, but infinitely more interesting and dare-I-say plausible scenarios to make this work much better:

- Scenario 1: America under a brutal occupation: Just ditch all that crap about China, Russia, Uber-North Korea and turn America -itself- into a quasi dictatorship. Say there was a huge war in the Middle East, a world economic crisis and a major terrorist attack on American soil that spawned a whole bunch of conspiracy theories. In the meantime, the military-industrial complex, the financial sector and a rampant intelligence community have completed their encroachment on the American government, resulting in a suspension of civil liberties, a complete deregulation of the economy, widespread poverty and chaos as a result of the economic crisis and societal breakdown to the point of localised state failure. Martial law is in effect, police and other government agencies have been militarised, if not outright privatised for the benefit of PMCs, the media are under constant surveillance and the US military is fractured between those who uphold this status and those who refused to fire at their own countrymen. It's the beginning of a new American revolution that seeks to restore a true government of the people, by the people, for the people, with urban guerilla warfare that starts out with petty propagandistic and sabotage operations and grows into a conventional war between two different visions of America's future.

- Scenario 2: North Korea doing evil things: Ditch the premise of America being the target and make it the one that is actually plausible: South Korea. You get to play as soldiers from the US, SK and NK while other countries like Japan, Canada, Australia and Turkey (in reference to the first Korean War) would send their own contingents to the fight as well. The whole thing would start out with a major economic crisis in Asia, followed by the rise of an assertive nationalist government in South Korea which adds to the renewed tensions between the ROK and the DPRK. Eventually, the whole thing would explode into a new war after a series of border skirmishes and human misjudgements, giving you scenarios like guerilla warfare in the DMZ, holding out against hordes of KPA troops during the evacuation of Seoul, brutal hand to hand and bayonet combat over every block of Pyongyang that makes it look like Stalingrad and Berlin combined, covert operations against PLA/Russian special forces that attempt to create a buffer puppet state during NK's inevitable collapse, hunting down a DPRK commando unit that smuggled a nuke into Tokyo/America, KPA chemical/biological attacks, massive tank battles, etc.

Try to accommodate for both of these premises in the same game? Not so much.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 7 Jun 2014, 13:45
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (MARS @ 7 Jun 2014, 3:16) *
The greatest irony about this is that I could think of too similar, but infinitely more interesting and dare-I-say plausible scenarios to make this work much better:

- Scenario 1: America under a brutal occupation: Just ditch all that crap about China, Russia, Uber-North Korea and turn America -itself- into a quasi dictatorship. Say there was a huge war in the Middle East, a world economic crisis and a major terrorist attack on American soil that spawned a whole bunch of conspiracy theories. In the meantime, the military-industrial complex, the financial sector and a rampant intelligence community have completed their encroachment on the American government, resulting in a suspension of civil liberties, a complete deregulation of the economy, widespread poverty and chaos as a result of the economic crisis and societal breakdown to the point of localised state failure. Martial law is in effect, police and other government agencies have been militarised, if not outright privatised for the benefit of PMCs, the media are under constant surveillance and the US military is fractured between those who uphold this status and those who refused to fire at their own countrymen. It's the beginning of a new American revolution that seeks to restore a true government of the people, by the people, for the people, with urban guerilla warfare that starts out with petty propagandistic and sabotage operations and grows into a conventional war between two different visions of America's future.

- Scenario 2: North Korea doing evil things: Ditch the premise of America being the target and make it the one that is actually plausible: South Korea. You get to play as soldiers from the US, SK and NK while other countries like Japan, Canada, Australia and Turkey (in reference to the first Korean War) would send their own contingents to the fight as well. The whole thing would start out with a major economic crisis in Asia, followed by the rise of an assertive nationalist government in South Korea which adds to the renewed tensions between the ROK and the DPRK. Eventually, the whole thing would explode into a new war after a series of border skirmishes and human misjudgements, giving you scenarios like guerilla warfare in the DMZ, holding out against hordes of KPA troops during the evacuation of Seoul, brutal hand to hand and bayonet combat over every block of Pyongyang that makes it look like Stalingrad and Berlin combined, covert operations against PLA/Russian special forces that attempt to create a buffer puppet state during NK's inevitable collapse, hunting down a DPRK commando unit that smuggled a nuke into Tokyo/America, KPA chemical/biological attacks, massive tank battles, etc.

The first premise sounds good except that a tyrannical federal government would vastly increase regulation of the economy ala what it did to GM back in '09 (or Krupp) which would lead to widespread poverty and the government picking economic winners and losers (read: anyone who supports The Party). No dictatorship in history has done otherwise. The second scenario is good too.

But yeah, the first game was originally intended to depict China but was changed due to the prospect of THQ games being blocked from China indefinitely. Homefront 1 was a sub-par Call of Duty ripoff that completely squandered the opportunity for guerrilla warfare in single player. Multiplayer was rather fun though. If you want a fun Red Dawn: The Game, try out Freedom Fighters instead.

What's interesting about this one is that its going to be an open world FPS, which as far as I know has never been done before. I also hope they actually go through with the guerrilla warfare take on it. I thought Red Faction: Guerrilla would be a good model, that game did a good job with making you feel like an underdog fighting a larger, more well equipped force. If Crytek can pull off the guerrilla theme and open world aspects well enough this one may be worth playing.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 7 Jun 2014, 14:49
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

^Borderlands and its sequel were open-world FPSs, and there's probably more. I'd be genuinely surprised to see any originality in this game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 7 Jun 2014, 15:52
Post #13

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (MARS @ 7 Jun 2014, 3:16) *

This, AKA why MARS should be hired to be a AAA story writer.

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Maxner12
post 7 Jun 2014, 16:05
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 9552

According to official wiki, the game had a pre-alpha leaked footage, which got removed by now (congratulations to anyone who finds it) which featured the EU as a playable faction in multiplayer actually. Can't wait for that totally unique side which features a different camo style and possibly g36 series of weaponry instead of m16. Oh well

+Quote Post
Adoge
post 22 Apr 2015, 12:47
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 11052

I had an idea like this the other day MARS, and I must say it would be a good premise. The Revolutionaries would be a great mix of soldiers, militias, libertarians, states-righters, anti-federalists, anarchists and so on... It did influence my Directorate vs Remnant idea a bit. However I did have a thought on something like this. Instead the military, which is being considered too untrustworthy, is being replaced by Blackwatch (or a different name after I realised this is the Prototype bad guys) which is a private army essentially equipped and maintained by the military industrial-complex and PMCs to generate even more money than with agencies.

Anyway just my five cents.

--------------------
A place where I posted my idea about a possible take on the Post-Red Alert 2 Command and Conquer universe: Reimagining Post Red Alert 2

If you wish to share your faction and RTS game ideas and provide constructive criticism on others', come and join us in this thread: Faction, World and RTS Game ideas

My Ideas: (Criticism appreciated)

Directorate vs Remnant, Backstory Part 1, Backstory Part 2, Characters and groups of the Directorate and Remnant

Basilisk vs Echelon, Unit and General List

Cataclysm: Embers of Hope (an RTS) (This where I will post most of my idea for Cataclysm.)

Global Chaos (Working Title)

My current Fourth General(s):
USA: H.Y.D.R.A, General Schwarzkopf (under development)

GLA: Colonel Abis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 9:43