IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
SWR Large Skirmish Games - serious error , any tips?
bobo love CnC ZH
post 16 Apr 2016, 21:22
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 12777

Ive always loved playing large skirmish games on ZH , so after taking a nearly 10 year break from the game i was super happy to find such an active and deep community and esp. happy to find a great mod like ShockWave.

I often play 6 or 8 player maps via skirmish, with 3 Hard CPUs vs myself and 1 hard CPU on my team. (i like to play all CPUs as China, and myself as USA, no one is running as a special general, just regular china and regular USA for myself).

I love building a large base (lots of USA AA "towers" for defense) and allowing the CPUs to build up as well.

are there any tips or things i can do to help cut down on the "Serious Error" crashes that happen later in games? (ive pretty much read every forum post and google related serach i can find on this topic, i even read the entirety of the 32 pages of the thread on this topic on hardwareanalysis (dot) com forums).
Or maybe is there a different MOD in which this error doesn't occur as often when playing skirmish? (i havent tried any mods other than SWR)

Things i tried (as suggested by others):

- Setting my windows VM (in system -> advanced , windows control panel) to 100GB
- Some poster said if you play with ALL USA (cpus are USA and you are USA) he doesn't experience Serious Error crashes
- Re-Installing all (and fully removing before the reinstall, including cleanup via CCleaner)

Im on win7 64 , installed generals, installed ZH, then patched ZH to 1.04. run ZH to confirm it works, then i install SWR, and SWR works great.

My PC is a Asus RIVbe with a i7-4930k (no OC) , gpu: AMD 295x2 (2 x 290x) and a 3rd 290X , 32 GB ram, 800gb Intel 750 PCIe SSD NVMe (its my boot, and where all my games/files are located). I run at 3840x2160 res (4k benq monitor)

(my only solution/work around so far to save my games every 5 min or so)
I do have a saved game file that will cause a Serious Error crash as soon as you load it, as well as some saved games file that cause them a few min after loading (if maybe this would help if i uploaded them for someone to look at the cause?)

My ReleaseCrashinfo.txt files almost always show the exact same error when i get the Serious Error message (im the admin user on win7 and also have Run as Admin Checked off on generals.exe)

Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

(seems to me to be some kind of memory access issues / bug)

Thanks for any help and your time. Im so glad to know that others love CnC as much as i do! smile.gif

EDIT: I should ofcourse mention: the same Serious Error crash does happen as well with ZH Vanilla (1.04)

This post has been edited by bobo love CnC ZH: 19 Apr 2016, 16:14
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 16:25