IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
RTS Game Ideas?, Wondering if anyone had any game ideas recently.
Adoge
post 13 Sep 2015, 2:11
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11052

I love to hear other people's ideas when it comes to games and the like and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas recently in relation to RTS' or similar genres.

--------------------
A place where I posted my idea about a possible take on the Post-Red Alert 2 Command and Conquer universe: Reimagining Post Red Alert 2

If you wish to share your faction and RTS game ideas and provide constructive criticism on others', come and join us in this thread: Faction, World and RTS Game ideas

My Ideas: (Criticism appreciated)

Directorate vs Remnant, Backstory Part 1, Backstory Part 2, Characters and groups of the Directorate and Remnant

Basilisk vs Echelon, Unit and General List

Cataclysm: Embers of Hope (an RTS) (This where I will post most of my idea for Cataclysm.)

Global Chaos (Working Title)

My current Fourth General(s):
USA: H.Y.D.R.A, General Schwarzkopf (under development)

GLA: Colonel Abis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 13 Sep 2015, 13:26
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 10025

I have an idea.
Should i describe it?

+Quote Post
Adoge
post 14 Sep 2015, 8:19
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 11052

QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 13 Sep 2015, 22:26) *
I have an idea.
Should i describe it?

Yeh mate, go ahead
That's what I was looking for.

--------------------
A place where I posted my idea about a possible take on the Post-Red Alert 2 Command and Conquer universe: Reimagining Post Red Alert 2

If you wish to share your faction and RTS game ideas and provide constructive criticism on others', come and join us in this thread: Faction, World and RTS Game ideas

My Ideas: (Criticism appreciated)

Directorate vs Remnant, Backstory Part 1, Backstory Part 2, Characters and groups of the Directorate and Remnant

Basilisk vs Echelon, Unit and General List

Cataclysm: Embers of Hope (an RTS) (This where I will post most of my idea for Cataclysm.)

Global Chaos (Working Title)

My current Fourth General(s):
USA: H.Y.D.R.A, General Schwarzkopf (under development)

GLA: Colonel Abis

+Quote Post
Sharpnessism
post 4 Oct 2015, 5:11
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
Projects: ShockWave

Here are a few general things that make a good RTS:

Game play diversity
Each faction should have at least 2 viable strategies against another. If there is only 1 overarching strategy, then it better be very interesting in terms of how it plays out.

Dynamic, engaging game play
Throughout the game the player should either be thinking, doing something, or both. Modern games have a lot of "cinematic moments", which are fine in small amounts but increasingly, games are focusing on visuals over good game play.

Non-redundancy & uniqueness
At the same stage in a game, one unit should never eclipse another in every single way. To build off of that, units should be relatively unique. Often times that means emphasizing strengths and weaknesses. At other times this means giving units different skill sets/abilities.

Counter plays/back and forth action
With regards to overall strategy, usually this means one side will have power spikes at a certain stages, while another side will have power spikes at other stages. This gives rise to more advanced forms of game play (e.g. timing attacks, safe expansion/resource acquisition times, etc.)

Appropriate level of randomness
Predictability is important in planning plays and counter plays. This doesn't mean randomness needs to be eliminated; often times it can make things more interesting when implemented properly. When taken too far, randomness leads to coin flip match ups/battles, which are generally unfun.

Minimal gimmicks
There are game mechanics, and then there are gimmicks/novelties. A game mechanic is a resource or interaction that is important to how each game plays out (e.g. HP, resource systems, cover systems). A gimmick is what appears to perhaps be a game mechanic, but is more so a marketing ploy to get people to buy the game (i.e. very shiny but very shallow game mechanic). Usually gimmicks are appear "cool" the first few times you use it, but quickly become boring/repetitive and then you realize it adds nothing of value to the game.

Supportive of team play/social interaction
Few RTS games can survive on 1v1 game types alone. When someone loses a 1v1 game, they are either one of two kinds of people. The first kind takes the experience and wants to get better, often practicing or playing more because of it. The second kind becomes quickly demoralized and decides to play something else or avoid 1v1s. Most gamers fall into the latter category (just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with feeling that way, since many people are too busy to practice a game over and over). However when it is a team game, people can have fun even if they lose just by virtue of social interaction with their friend(s). This applies more so to MP games.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 4 Oct 2015, 7:03
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

The point on gimmicks instantly reminded me of the much advertised ColdTech feature in Company of Heroes, how your infantry units would lose temperature on winter maps and eventually freeze to death unless you babysit them near a heat source and every five minutes, a blizzard would appear, wiping out unprotected infantry and sharply reducing all sight ranges, essentially grinding gameplay to a hault for all sides involved. It was beyond annoying, ruined the pacing of the game and added no real benefit. The most recent patch thankfully added an option that allows you to disable ColdTech in custom games and boy, am I glad. Now I actually care to play the winter maps because based on their own merits, they are actually pretty nice. Goes to show how a mishandled gimmichanic ruined half the map selection.

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 4 Oct 2015, 8:26
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

My idea...Well not really my idea,I mean I am not first that came up with this,
as a matter of fact I am pretty sure people tried this earlier.
RTS/tactical FPS...
I would love if game developers would have further explored and developed
Battlefield 2's Commander System in some future games,instead it ended up just as a experiment.
As for FPS part of the game,well BF2s gameplay was pretty enough imo.

This post has been edited by re_simeone: 4 Oct 2015, 8:26

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 4 Oct 2015, 10:01
Post #7

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

I want a RTS game that is 100% about SP rather than those MP first, SP maybe secondary or not available types of game.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 4 Oct 2015, 10:04

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 4 Oct 2015, 11:47
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10025

QUOTE (Sharpnessism @ 4 Oct 2015, 6:11) *
Here are a few general things that make a good RTS:

Game play diversity
Each faction should have at least 2 viable strategies against another. If there is only 1 overarching strategy, then it better be very interesting in terms of how it plays out.

Dynamic, engaging game play
Throughout the game the player should either be thinking, doing something, or both. Modern games have a lot of "cinematic moments", which are fine in small amounts but increasingly, games are focusing on visuals over good game play.

Non-redundancy & uniqueness
At the same stage in a game, one unit should never eclipse another in every single way. To build off of that, units should be relatively unique. Often times that means emphasizing strengths and weaknesses. At other times this means giving units different skill sets/abilities.

Counter plays/back and forth action
With regards to overall strategy, usually this means one side will have power spikes at a certain stages, while another side will have power spikes at other stages. This gives rise to more advanced forms of game play (e.g. timing attacks, safe expansion/resource acquisition times, etc.)

Appropriate level of randomness
Predictability is important in planning plays and counter plays. This doesn't mean randomness needs to be eliminated; often times it can make things more interesting when implemented properly. When taken too far, randomness leads to coin flip match ups/battles, which are generally unfun.

Minimal gimmicks
There are game mechanics, and then there are gimmicks/novelties. A game mechanic is a resource or interaction that is important to how each game plays out (e.g. HP, resource systems, cover systems). A gimmick is what appears to perhaps be a game mechanic, but is more so a marketing ploy to get people to buy the game (i.e. very shiny but very shallow game mechanic). Usually gimmicks are appear "cool" the first few times you use it, but quickly become boring/repetitive and then you realize it adds nothing of value to the game.

Supportive of team play/social interaction
Few RTS games can survive on 1v1 game types alone. When someone loses a 1v1 game, they are either one of two kinds of people. The first kind takes the experience and wants to get better, often practicing or playing more because of it. The second kind becomes quickly demoralized and decides to play something else or avoid 1v1s. Most gamers fall into the latter category (just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with feeling that way, since many people are too busy to practice a game over and over). However when it is a team game, people can have fun even if they lose just by virtue of social interaction with their friend(s). This applies more so to MP games.

Double ditto

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 10:03