Reply to this topicStart new topic
Generals Deluxe edition on Mac, installation issues
spookeydonkey
post 17 Feb 2017, 6:57
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13995

In 2015, Aspyr Media ported Generals & ZH to Mac Os X. The graphics received a major upgrade, and the game runs soooo smoothly!

Naturally, I wanted to install ROTR!

First, I downloaded the ROTR 1.8 No Install Mac compatible file. Second, I copied all the contents to the Zero Hour data directory. Third, I launched the app.

The regular ZH screen came up, but lo and behold after a second it changed to the ROTR screen!

Game loaded up alright, and I was able to create a local LAN multiplayer game. All the factions showed up, and I wanted to test the performance. So, I chose an 8 player map (Twilight Flame ZH) and set 7 insane CPUs (or whatever the max difficulty is called...sorry I was playing Contra earlier 'on my windows build')

So, I choose to start the match, I get the countdown...and crash to desktop. Try to re launch the app, but nothing happens. Restarted and tried to launch the app, nothing happens.

A few pieces of info: I am a NEWB when it comes to Mac OS X. I literally just installed it today and yes Generals was the first app I installed (hackintosh build) before even fixing my internet issues.

Second, this is Mac OS native app. Generals is NOT being run through an emulator or virtualizer or whatever the old method of getting Generals to work on Mac OS was.

Now, as you may know Mac apps are apparently housed in a folder. I'm going to give my best attempt at describing the folder structure as follows, with "///" being used to seperate folder/file names:

Contents : _CodeSignature /// Frameworks //// GameData //// MacOS //// PkgInfo //// Resources //// Info.plist

I'm gonna assume the relevent folder is GameData, and I'll only list the contents of that folder unless requested for more info.

GameData : Generals Data //// Generals Data.fr ///// Zero Hour Data //// Zero Hour Data.fr

Zero Hour Data : (bunch of .dat and .big files, I can re-install the app and list every file if necessary) (the following are folder structures)

Data //// Window

Data : Cursors //// Scripts //// English //// INI //// Movies //// WaterPlane

Obviously, I'm providing this info in hopes that someone can help me install/attempt to install ROTR into this Mac version of Generals. Since I got "something" to work it seems possible, maybe with just the existing files.

Possible reasons for the crash, keeping in mind my naievity on Mac OS and manual installs of ROTR : Mac version only supports 4 players in Multiplayer, so that may also be a limitation for the local LAN battles (I chose 7 CPU players and myself...8 is more than 4?)

Possibly a map/map related issue?

AI issue? Maybe I hadn't installed the AI?

Incomplete install?

Note: The Mac OS version is at 1.04 on install, no patches are available for this game afaik and it's all up to date.

p.s.. I can provide screenshots of the folders if that makes the folder structure easier to understand. Also , for anyone with access to Mac OS X and interested in this new version (or you just want to google it and see the pretty new graphics), the game is called Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition, and is on the Mac App store for $5 or $10. It's published by Aspyr Media I believe and was released in 2015?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 17 Feb 2017, 11:07
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

rotr wont work with the mac version properly unless u virtual machine windows. as EA messed up some fo the code when ported to mac that rotr needs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 17 Feb 2017, 20:20
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Skitt @ 17 Feb 2017, 11:07) *
rotr wont work with the mac version properly unless u virtual machine windows. as EA messed up some fo the code when ported to mac that rotr needs.

There are two Mac ports. One by EA and a newer one by Aspyr.

Was gonna edit my original but adding as a new reply for visibility.

If anyone can knows or can help me find whats wrong I can probably convert the mod to Mac even if I need to write custom tools.

Im gonna look into the problem more and try to pinpoint the file that wont load.

I tried last night to replicate however I cant even launch the game anymore (no-data-folder error).

QUOTE (Skitt @ 17 Feb 2017, 11:07) *

I read about that just now. I thought it was a rewrite sad.gif

Any specifics on what isn't working? Hell I dont want multiplayer...just single player skirmishes that dont lag. I was hoping that was just a windows problem. Besides the graphics look nicer

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 19 Feb 2017, 2:52
Post #4

Group Icon

Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

the bike logic is borked on the mac port

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 19 Feb 2017, 3:05
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Skitt @ 19 Feb 2017, 3:52) *
the bike logic is borked on the mac port

I realize that. It's messed up in the original EA port or the Aspyr port?

I'm guessing the Aspyr port. I guess there's not much that can be done then...which sucks, cuz the Mac version looks NICE.

I was able to do a bit of USA vs GLA and then GLA vs USA but on the GLA vs game, the game crashed after a while. I haven't been able to start games as Russia but I didn't install the 00000.256 etc files yet since I forgot where they go (gonna look it up now). Also the name has an underscore at the end, not sure if it should be there.

I just wanted to play and see if any lag would develop.

I'll continue my research a little bit more before I delete Mac OS. I find Windows easier to use and better lol but the lack of bullshit on Mac OS is great so I can't clutter my desktop/hard drive with useless apps I use once and forget to delete.

Is there an edit button?

Whats the process to remove units ? I'm gonna remove those and maybe end up with a gimped version of ROTR that's still fun to play?

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 19 Feb 2017, 5:27
Post #6

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

A huge amount of units and mechanics use bike logic (everything from missile defenders to topols).
You'll be removing almost all the units in the game at this point.

Get bootcamp, or get parralels to save yourself the effort.

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 19 Feb 2017, 5:47
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 19 Feb 2017, 5:27) *
A huge amount of units and mechanics use bike logic (everything from missile defenders to topols).
You'll be removing almost all the units in the game at this point.

Get bootcamp, or get parralels to save yourself the effort.

Holy crap, seriously? I've tested Russia, but didn't build a topol lol. Every other unit was fine.

USA works well too, except for AT drones, which causes the game to crash as soon as you have them dig in. All the other drones work fine dug in.

GLA I don't usually play but I did play a game with them, however I didn't build every unit. I just played and won the match vs a medium AI USA that apparently didn't do much (I didn't delete the scripts folder so the AI probably isn't workin all that well, but that suits my purposes).

I'm gonna continue my testing, as it may turn out that only certain things trigger crashes. Wether that info will be useful or not, i don't know.

And thanks for the advice, but I run ROTR on windows 10 and honestly Generals ZH sucks as an application so hard that even with ROTR I may never play it on Windows in single player again (something I enjoy actually). ROTR is laggy as all hell and THAT'S why I'm trying this Mac version. I left the USA vs USA match on for about 30 minutes just collecting cash etc with almost every type of unit built and no lag. In my Russia game I had no lag. That could be cuz of the AI that isn't really building too much (went in with 3 Hinds and they had about 4 buildings).

I think that if it's only a few units or features that are affected, and removing/disabling them barely alters the experience AND results in games with no lag, a LOT of people may start showing interest in trying out the mac version.

Just build EVERY russian unit except for missile silo. TOPOL works. Had it attack, no problem. Built all 3 types of turrets, all work. Everything works. Hell, the match (russia vs usa) only crashed once the victory fanfare played for a few seconds (usually doesn't at that point).

This just proves to me that our info is sorely lacking and we're dismissing the Mac version unfairly. One reason why there is no non-installer version of 1.85 is because the game crashes "consistently". In my research thus far, I've found only one unit that consistently causes crashes.

I've yet to test the ECA, China, or to properly test the GLA.

For now, I'm gonna start a 2 on 2 CPU match and surrender and spectate (all Russia) to see if I missed anything and if I can get the game to crash. I'll see if there's any game recording software so I can try to pinpoint if these crashes do need a unit to be onscreen (maybe I'll get lucky and catch it). If anyone wants I can post reports of what happens once a consistently triggered crash occurs such as with the AT Drone digging in.

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 19 Feb 2017, 6:48
Post #8

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Are you using a wineskin port?

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 19 Feb 2017, 7:59
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 19 Feb 2017, 6:48) *
Are you using a wineskin port?

I'm using the 2015 Aspyr Media port. I've read some possible misinformation that it's a Wineskin or something, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It's a native Mac application afaik.

I just ran 2 matches as a spectator with 2v2 russia. The first match crashed after a while watching a skirmish but I forgot to record.

The 2nd match crashed after THIRTY MINUTES. That's 4 brutal russia CPUs. I should mention that the AI wasn't all that aggressive and didn't keep there power up. Like all 4 teams. The game finally crashed when one of the russias sent what I'm pretty sure is a general power (2 white planes that launched missiles). Either it was a random crash or was from that action, which I'll have to try to replicate manually. Sadly I had stopped recording 10 minutes prior (I was trying to run a framerate test and with recording it was dropping to 15 fps)

As far as frame rates are concerned, I never recorded while on Windows 10, so not sure how much better/worse performance is. The game did seem to run smoother at the very beginning, and gradually got slower. I didn't start the FPS counting until midway through the game. That said, even though it was at a good 18-25 fps (without recording) it didn't seem nearly as bad as on Windows. On windows I would get MASSIVE slowdown every 10 seconds or something like that. Of course, all this needs more play time to make certain of.

I think, for now, Russia *should* be pretty safe to play as. I'm gonna have to play the base game and see if it randomly crashes or not.

My specs are: 3.2 Ghz Haswell i5, 8 Gb ram, Asus Z-87 Pro, ATI R9 2xx GPU w 2Gb RAM, running Mac OS El Capitan. Everything installed on SSD. Game running on High detail at 1080p. Not sure if the detail level or resolution affects the FPS. I'm using the so-called "camera hack"/fix.

I'm gonna have to dual boot Win 10 alongside Mac OS so I can make decent comparisons.

Added a video. Sorry for the 720p recording but I guess Quicktime defaults to that and I didn't know how to change it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_yYRLgmuUQ

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 19 Feb 2017, 10:55
Post #10

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

That is an incredibly good quality port then. Try testing with GLA's and USA's and see if it still always crashes.
The fact the russian stuff isnt killing the game is strange.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 19 Feb 2017, 20:08
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 19 Feb 2017, 10:55) *
That is an incredibly good quality port then. Try testing with GLA's and USA's and see if it still always crashes.
The fact the russian stuff isnt killing the game is strange.

I will tonite.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 19 Feb 2017, 20:59
Post #12

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

I merged your various multi-posts.

Anyway, if you can confirm that the new port doesn't crash with bike-logic units (the actual bikes, but also Missile Defenders, Buggies, Topols, and a whole bunch more), that would be great, since then we would be able to reach Mac users again (granted, they'd have to buy the new version of the game, which kinda sucks).

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 19 Feb 2017, 21:56
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (SoraZ @ 19 Feb 2017, 21:59) *
I merged your various multi-posts.

Anyway, if you can confirm that the new port doesn't crash with bike-logic units (the actual bikes, but also Missile Defenders, Buggies, Topols, and a whole bunch more), that would be great, since then we would be able to reach Mac users again (granted, they'd have to buy the new version of the game, which kinda sucks).

Thanks for that. I'm pretty new to the forums and not sure how to edit posts etc, plus earlier on I was posting using mobile. It was a pain transferring files to Mac OS when my one and only USB drive is for installing OS X, the fact that Mac OS X doesn't support Android file transfer on initial set up, doesn't support my wifi card (which I expected...it's amazing it recognized my bluetooth and wireless keyboard without extra set up), and some other issues. Plus I do my "research" (gaming) at night so yeah...

The game does not crash right away, it definitely loads ROTR just fine. I need to really be testing the vanilla version of the game to see if the random crashes also occur there, as on the Windows side we DEFINITELY do get random crashes on ZH without mods. I'm gonna have to get ahold of another screen capturing program as I don't know if Quicktime allows me to set where the video storage is supposed to be while recording (which means if it's storing it on my SSD it'll run out of space possibly while recording, also only records at 720p which is good but 1080p is better). I also wanna look into supersampling or whatever it's called when you render at a high resolution and output to say 1080p. Then again I may reduce detail or resolution to see if that will improve frame rates.

Yes, when I do experiments, I do them somewhat scientifically. I like to control my variables.

Anyway all that said, I just wanna play my ROTR at better frame rate, or at least stutter free. Honestly that's the ONLY reason I installed OS X. This damn addicting game .

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 20 Feb 2017, 0:12
Post #14

Group Icon

Update:

Currently playing a Hard Russia vs Russia game. I'm beginning to consider going through the maps one by one, as it seems even the map may be involved in crashes? Hopefully not. I keep getting crashes on this map (forgot the name), maybe one every 10 minutes. I figured out if you choose solo you can save, so it's making it easier and less of a hassle to test things. It's funny as last night I had 4 brutal armies going at it for over 30 minutes before a single crash occurred.

Side note on performance: The game is capped to 30 fps I think. Same for windows most likely but that's probably old news to you guys. Do you guys think I should do these tests with 1.86, or stay on 1.85?

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 20 Feb 2017, 2:49
Post #15

Group Icon

Video added (with sound!) : https://youtu.be/tTivM3OCjRc

Is there an edit button?!

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 20 Feb 2017, 5:33
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (spookeydonkey @ 20 Feb 2017, 1:49) *
Is there an edit button?!

only for the first 15 mins after you post. then u cant edit it anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 20 Feb 2017, 7:56
Post #17

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Try jumping to 1.87 and see if the ai there is more stable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 20 Feb 2017, 8:08
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 20 Feb 2017, 7:56) *
Try jumping to 1.87 and see if the ai there is more stable.

Beta 9?

I may have to go on a short hiatus (unless the virtualizing the game gives me decent speeds). I just went through the worst process to try to restore my Windows backup image. I finally have Windows back and I'll re-install Mac OS once I figure out how to dual boot without messing myself up (I think I know how though).

Oh and sorry about the lack of sound in the uploads (and wtf 360p? seriously?!) Mac side of things may be more "user friendly" but it's still got a long way to go to match Windows.

I wish I had the patience to grab a video of the stock game though (probably are some anyway). It looks magnificent!

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 20 Feb 2017, 14:13
Post #19

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Oh shit, did you get the boot camp partition wiping issue?
Thats killed 2 of my computers and yeah, its a pain in the ass.

If your computer can run it I would recommend parallels or a similar dual boot system to work around it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 20 Feb 2017, 22:52
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 20 Feb 2017, 14:13) *
Oh shit, did you get the boot camp partition wiping issue?
Thats killed 2 of my computers and yeah, its a pain in the ass.

If your computer can run it I would recommend parallels or a similar dual boot system to work around it.

No man I don't use boot camp. It's just mac and the shitty disc utility. First, it renamed my ssd to the name of the USB that I used for installing the Mac OS (lol Kingston). That had me confused for a while. I have literally never restarted my pc and entered the bios so many times.

Second I need to make a windows installer USB (I removed my dvd drive to install a new 2 tb drive I just bought). Disc Utiility wouldn't get rid of all the partitions that were created by Clover. Unetbootin on Mac OS wasn't doing the job either.

I finally got pissed and nuked Mac OS from orbit (installed Ubuntu 16....with the iso image hosted on my old HTC One m7). That way I got rid of the retarded partitioning made by Mac OS and then used gparted to properly format my usb. Used WinUSB to create my image finally.

Oh, did I mention that I WAS able to boot Windows 10 from my phone (after juggling OS's and Macs retarded lack of ability to write to NTFS drives (needed to fix that) and lack of file transfer with Android (had to download something with a 4gb limitation in file size....Win 10 is 4.3gb from Microsoft).

Yeah, it kept me up all damn night, then I ended up sleeping instead of going out with my friends and meeting this hot girl I'm trying to get hooked up with tongue.gif

So I'm gonna try to install it on my laptop for now, I have a spare laptop drive that I don't care about. Or, I may try to install it on the laptop drive connected via usb to my main PC. Not sure if it'll work. Either way I'll get it re-installed sooner rather than later.

BTW how did Bootcamp kill ur computers? Did you get them fixed? I'm guessing actual Mac hardware? Wonder if you can boot Ubuntu on those hehehe.

This post has been edited by spookeydonkey: 20 Feb 2017, 22:54

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 20 Feb 2017, 23:42
Post #21

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

BTW how did Bootcamp kill ur computers? Did you get them fixed? I'm guessing actual Mac hardware? Wonder if you can boot Ubuntu on those hehehe.

Pretty much theres a bug in the bootcamp software where theres a small chance that every time you boot up your windows partition, there is a small chance it will completely corrupt the mac partition. Pretty much if you don't do some magic fuckery with terminal to install the bootcamp and you use the default software there is a chance this will happen.

the funny thing is the windows partition is 100% fine, so you get left with half (or however much you split your harddrive) not being usable. Even if you wipe the drive completely, what was the mac partition is not useable.

I fixed it by opening the mac and replacing the hard drives which was a massive pain in the ass to do, and after my last one died due to the same issue i just said fuck it and got a proper gaming pc to avoid any future issues with it.

Yeah, it kept me up all damn night, then I ended up sleeping instead of going out with my friends and meeting this hot girl I'm trying to get hooked up with tongue.gif

https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to...22252/feels.png

EDIT: holy shit thats a big pepe

This post has been edited by The_Hunter: 23 Feb 2017, 21:11

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 23 Feb 2017, 3:41
Post #22

Group Icon

What you should do, if your a guy like that me that doesn't know when to say enough, is reconnect the drive (get a "bracket"...connects the drive to pc via usb) and boot up Ubuntu via live cd. No need to install anything that way. Use gparted and see if you can erase the whole thing and format it from there. I've saved a lot of drives that way. It's a godsend, no wonder nerds swear by it.

Speaking of nerdy things, how does anyone manage to mod Generals anymore. I looked it into it and the tools people use are ancient! Then again even for Starcraft 2 they use 3ds max [/color]2011![color="#000000"]

Back to mac though, I was gonna install it on my laptop (using a spare hdd, not gonna mess w my main hdd) but i forgot my keyboard is messed up. I guess I can try my bluetooth keyboard if I need to (it worked on the first install, and most bluetooth dongles usually aren't supported i guess) if one of wired ones i have lying around doesn't work (may be broke).

Im a wordy mofo...anyway no idea when i'll get around to it, but not too long. I won't be able to test too much, busy few days till sunday.

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 23 Feb 2017, 11:07
Post #23

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

I wish you the best for that last bit then tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
spookeydonkey
post 5 Mar 2017, 22:09
Post #24

Group Icon

I'm taking a break on the Mac thing for a while. I'm kinda too lazy to install on my laptop but I may try it if I get some extra free time, however the laptops HDD is slow and possibly on the cusp of death, so not feeling too motivated until I get another SSD just for the laptop.

If any Mac programmers wanna team up on this though I'd be willing to devote time to this. I can replicate several crashes, which is a start (probably can be solved by hooking and bypassing the call or some workaround?) so that we can get a stable game. Other random crashes we can possibly solve that way, hopefully to end up with something that crashes at least less frequently than the Windows version of ZH.

I haven't played enough unmodded ZH on Mac to know if it's prone to random crashes like the Windows version is though.

+Quote Post
vectorguy
post 12 Mar 2018, 14:49
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 10741

I wonder if spookeydonkey is still here...

ShockWave is working fine using the Apple Mac App store version (Aspyre) of Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition (I found the instructions at http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=8935)

But I'm having trouble getting Rise of the Reds to run.

Can any Mac people see what I might be doing wrong in the attached screenshots?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  rotr_mac_startup_error.jpg ( 54.13K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  rotr_mac_file_structure.jpg ( 189.19K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 15:01