Reply to this topicStart new topic
Zh mapping idea, I might attempt it
DJDJ_888
post 14 Jan 2014, 3:59
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10186

I want to know what the maximum size of a map that sage can run? My main goal in this map is to have a large map with multiple terrains in a desert area which include compounds, 2 or 3 small town with one bigger city, and 2 air strips. The goal of this map is that map control will bring victory. Each zone will contain various tech structures and supply docks. Each player starts with a good amount of supplies but have to play aggressively and defensively. To make this map I need advice from experienced pvpers, modders and mappers. What do you think of the idea?

--------------------
"Men must be free to do what they believe it is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do no matter how much we disagree!"
-Altair Ibn La Ahad
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 14 Jan 2014, 19:30
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10072

QUOTE (DJDJ_888 @ 14 Jan 2014, 4:59) *
I want to know what the maximum size of a map that sage can run? My main goal in this map is to have a large map with multiple terrains in a desert area which include compounds, 2 or 3 small town with one bigger city, and 2 air strips. The goal of this map is that map control will bring victory. Each zone will contain various tech structures and supply docks. Each player starts with a good amount of supplies but have to play aggressively and defensively. To make this map I need advice from experienced pvpers, modders and mappers. What do you think of the idea?

Well, i already made a mission map in a 1000x1000 map... It kinda gets slow from the size of the thing.. But besides that it worked good

+Quote Post
DJDJ_888
post 15 Jan 2014, 4:54
Post #3

Group Icon

http://i.imgur.com/Pn7XTB9.jpg

This is the map layout what do you guys think? Don't judge my 1337 drawing skills tongue.gif

This post has been edited by DJDJ_888: 15 Jan 2014, 4:58

--------------------
"Men must be free to do what they believe it is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do no matter how much we disagree!"
-Altair Ibn La Ahad

+Quote Post
DJDJ_888
post 15 Jan 2014, 7:10
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Oliver @ 14 Jan 2014, 10:30) *
Well, i already made a mission map in a 1000x1000 map... It kinda gets slow from the size of the thing.. But besides that it worked good

Thanks for the help I will try that size smile.gif

--------------------
-Altair Ibn La Ahad

+Quote Post
Thelord444
post 15 Jan 2014, 9:11
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9986

I dont know if it was because of my PC, but once i did a world map, with all continents and stuff, it was huge map, didnt turn out very well, extreme lag, so yeah... i recommended you dont go over 500x500

--------------------
"He who heard is not like he who saw"

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 15 Jan 2014, 14:39
Post #6

Arena maker
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10203

Big maps require tons of work (if you want everything to look well) and it's not even worth it because of the performance issues mentioned above.

If you like military compounds/strongholds then I suggest making a smaller map as a whole military base area, it's possible to make really good looking ones and at least you'll be able to play smoothly on them too.

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 15 Jan 2014, 15:42
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10072

True and my map was 30% of water... which seems that your map has no water and will have a lot of things in it

+Quote Post
DJDJ_888
post 15 Jan 2014, 17:58
Post #8

Group Icon

Who says the compound is going to be big it will contain one capturable GLA barracks and a capturable GLA arms dealer with a couple of tents and such with a small amount of supplies and barrels.

This post has been edited by DJDJ_888: 15 Jan 2014, 17:59

--------------------
-Altair Ibn La Ahad

+Quote Post
MyDude25
post 21 Jan 2014, 9:21
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 881

*Late reply*

The very maximum map size ZH SAGE can handle without going full stupid is around 460x460 (450 + 10 map edge border).

500 and above not only have the risk of being slow, the game unit pathfinder also goes haywire....and that could lead to undesirable effects.

This post has been edited by Kris: 21 Jan 2014, 9:22

--------------------
Sup guiyz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 April 2024 - 7:20