Reply to this topicStart new topic
My Universe Concept, Thought experiment
Svea Rike
post 21 Jun 2014, 23:05
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

-WILL CONTINUE TOMORROW, TO TIRED RIGHT NOW BUT PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK SO FAR-

So for some time now, couple of months maybe, I've built this science-fantasy universe in my head and I thought that maybe I should share it with you guys to see what you think about it. It is primarily a science-fantasy universe (fantasy here meaning there is a god but there is no magic or dragons or such) with a little bit of hard science and soft science thrown into the bunch. I call this universe...

SOLEMN SPACE

Solemn - Adjective
  1. solemn (comparative more solemn, superlative most solemn)
  2. Deeply serious and somber.
  3. Somberly impressive.
  4. Performed with great ceremony.
  5. Sacred.
  6. Gloomy or sombre.

The universe is not fully fleshed out but I'm working on it. It'll probably end up on my computer, nothing to be done to it and forgotten in time but if I upload part of it here, I can get back to it in the future if I may feel so. So anyway...

The setting is several centuries in the future, around the 29th century, in an alternate solar system. The Sun gets a twin star with enough power to allow life on more than just one planet in the Goldilocks Zone. The extra gravitational force also brings in more planets, greatly expanding the solar system. From the innermost ring to the outermost: Mercury, Terminus, Janus, Quirinus, Venus, Tellus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Pales, Uranus, Neptune, Diana, Vulcan, Apollo, Pluto and Vediovis – eight of which are capable of supporting human life, being neatly secured in the Goldilocks Zone.
  • Tellus – What most humans refer to as Earth is our home planet. The history is pretty much the same, except for astrologers discovering more planets obviously. The Egyptians worshipped both suns, but the Aztecs believed the other one to be the sun’s evil twin. In the 23rd century, humans launched probes onto potentially habitable planets, and did find out that they are capable of supporting intelligent lifeforms in many varieties. Even better was that the biggest difference in gravity was on Pales with only 1.3g, slightly stronger than Earth but still habitable. Unfortunately, the atmospheric conditions were wildly different than that of Earth, so if they wanted to colonize these planets (which they wanted) they needed to terraform them. The Outer Space Alliance, a continuation of the American Defense Pact between the United States and Canada, proposed sending drones to do the work whilst the Chinese Colonial Nations, led by the People’s Republic of China, wanted to send human workers to speed up the colonization process (and to get rid of large amounts of people from China, which was rapidly getting overpopulated). In the end, the United Nations allowed both power blocs to colonize each their own planet, with Mars, Pales and Diana going to the CCN while the OSA got Venus, Quirinus and Janus. Immediately, both superpowers started competing over control of Earth, which was at the center of it all. The CCN had a bigger population, numbering in the trillions several centuries following terraforming, while the OSA had access to much better technology in the form of graphene, nanotech and EM-drives. A war between the two powers would be devastating, and following a series of terrorist attacks, natural disasters and an economic downturn, a war is almost inevitable.
  • Venus – With a gravity 0.9g, Venus was always a close contender for colonization. The problem was that the atmosphere was far too dense for any Earth animal, and terraforming it would take millennia. However, an ingenious solution was found: Instead of constructing colonies in the ground, they constructed colonies that float on the dense cushion of gases swirling about. These floating cities became home to millions, but they were plagued by vicious flying predators that lived on Venus. So, they installed anti-flyer turrets everywhere, which soon lowered the value of homes in the cities, throwing the Venusian cities into poverty. The upper class, which has access to large mining corporations are able to thrive in luxurious floating mansions by mining the valuable gases found in the lower atmosphere and sending it back to Earth. The capital of Venus is Skylight, which is connected to all other cities via sky-bridges.
  • Mars – Very similar to Earth, Mars was given to the CCN by the United Nations, much to the dismay of western scientists. Nonetheless, the CCN took huge advantage of Mars and sent more than 45% of its population to colonize the planet. Wild flora and fauna was already growing on Mars thanks to the two suns, but neither the CCN nor OSA expected to find sentient life there. Glass-dome hexacian, as they were called, are six-limbed humanoids with a skin made of extremely though flexible glass, hence the name. The glass is presumed to form in the mother’s womb during pregnancy, at temperatures exceeding 3000⁰ Celsius. They can use their six limbs to travel very fast, running on four of them like a horse. Hexacians are capable of constructing tools and homes made out of stone, wood and clay, and have been reported to tame wildlife. The Chinese wants to harvest their glass skin to see if it can be used for something, but the UN has forbidden any hunting of extraterrestrial wildlife until first contact is made (Hexacians have no knowledge of us, as far as we know). The capital of Mars is Àolínbāsī, a city inside the Mariner Valley.
  • Quirinus – An interesting planet that has a thin atmosphere, which allows cosmic radiation to seep in unhindered. The radiation has done something to the natural wildlife, giving them apparent psychic powers such as telepathy and telekinesis. It is unknown how this works, but scientists have captured several dead specimens and their brains show large amounts of gamma radiation. What’s more interesting is that the creatures doesn’t seem to use these powers that often, only to reach food that’s too far out or to lure away predators. The biggest predator on the planet is the Shadow Walker family, which can use their abilities to bend light waves around themselves and effectively become invisible. Colonies here are constructed on large stilts above the ground, to avoid predators. The capital of Quirinus is Gloireville.
  • Pales – Pales is a planet that is tidally locked with the sun. This means that all the time, half the planet is completely sun-covered, while the other sits in absolute darkness. Chinese colonies were able to overcome this by constructing cities on the breaker, the equatorial ridge between the dark and light sides, providing for an endless evening. Wildlife on the light side hibernate in the large deserts, sucking up the small amounts of moisture that gets there, and then moves on. On the dark side, however, animals developed bioluminescence to better facilitate life in the dark. This creates fantastic lightshows, bringing in tourists from both the CCN and OSA. The capital of Pales is Guāngchéng.
  • Janus – A planet whose very unstable continental plates have created massive mountain ranges and extremely deep valleys. Fauna here have all developed wings over the years to better move around in the mountains, something the colonists did not like. Wyverns, basically a lion/rhino combination with wings, are the top predator. But the colonists did not want to lower the home prices with anti-flyer guns, and opted to construct large glass domes over their cities, preventing flying predators from attacking them. Survey teams have concluded that large amounts of valuable minerals can be found deep inside the mountains, but mining is a hazardous work not only thanks to cave-ins, but also the flyers. The capital of Janus is New Cedon.
  • Diana – A planet with little landmass and very large oceans, which creates violent hurricanes and cyclones year round. However, the Chinese had a brilliant idea that would attract all kinds of wealthy colonists: Build it underwater. Pre-fabricated cities were literally dropped from orbit, guided down by drones and submerged under the water. Space elevators connected to space stations transported colonists to and from the underwater cities, which were quote-un-quote “absolutely glorious to live in.” Marine life created a thriving submarine fishing industry, and to taste the delicious Hǎilóng fin soup is something only the rich and wealthy can afford. The capital of Diana is Shuǐxià Chéngshì, the only city with a space elevator (currently, more are being constructed).

This post has been edited by Svea Rike: 7 Aug 2014, 22:51

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 27 Jun 2014, 22:22
Post #2

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

I read half of it and I see promise, I'll edit this when I read the other half.

Question;What do you plan on doing with this? Fanfics? Comics?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 27 Jun 2014, 22:55
Post #3

Group Icon

Wow, someone actually commented! Thank you, Bruce. Right now, uh, nothing above just making a sci-fan universe cause I like to create fictional worlds. I have written down, maybe several hundred tropes in Word from TV Tropes about this universe. If I ever get my hands on a sketchpad for my computer I migh make some artwork as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 29 Jul 2014, 20:02
Post #4

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

I like this very much. Keep it up.

You could probably make a game out of this when it's finished biggrin.gif

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 29 Jul 2014, 21:25
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Master Yuri @ 29 Jul 2014, 21:02) *
I like this very much. Keep it up.

You could probably make a game out of this when it's finished biggrin.gif

Thank you.

That is, if I could make a game. The trope document I've written is written as if it were a video game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 29 Jul 2014, 21:29
Post #6

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 29 Jul 2014, 16:25) *
Thank you.

That is, if I could make a game. The trope document I've written is written as if it were a video game.

And the primary one, if video games nowadays weren't so lame and big companies would stop doing dumb shit. All we have now is "Cull of Dooty" and "Battlefail".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 29 Jul 2014, 22:03
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Master Yuri @ 29 Jul 2014, 22:29) *
And the primary one, if video games nowadays weren't so lame and big companies would stop doing dumb shit. All we have now is "Cull of Dooty" and "Battlefail".

Agreed, although Advanced Warfare looks promising. I've added some more now if anyone's interested. If you want to know something more I've not written down, feel free to ask.

This post has been edited by Svea Rike: 29 Jul 2014, 22:03

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 29 Jul 2014, 22:32
Post #8

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Also, I'm guessing the Auser speak faux German or something like that? It's never really said there (forgive me if I missed it somewhere).

--------------------

+Quote Post
FloppySovereign
post 29 Jul 2014, 22:39
Post #9

Group Icon

From: Adelaide, SA, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Cos System, Milkyway, Quadrant A1
Member No.: 10542

You gonna write a book on this, because with the amount of information that you've managed to put on this, you could easily do something like that.......

--------------------
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 29 Jul 2014, 23:05
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Master Yuri @ 29 Jul 2014, 23:32) *
Also, I'm guessing the Auser speak faux German or something like that? It's never really said there (forgive me if I missed it somewhere).

Oh right, I forgot to mention that. Yes, they speak faux German.

QUOTE (FloppyDisk99 @ 29 Jul 2014, 23:39) *
You gonna write a book on this, because with the amount of information that you've managed to put on this, you could easily do something like that.......

Really, it is only something to spin my head around. If I could write something about it, I might have. But now the only thing I can do (properly) is write about it, since I'm not such a talented writer, artist, or game designer for that matter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 7 Aug 2014, 22:53
Post #11

Group Icon

ATTENTION: My ideas change rapidly, and I have recently completely revamped my fictional universe to something that I felt was more... believable. It is no longer science-fantasy, and more harder science-fiction - even though I totally suck at writing hard sci-fi. So, from now on I will update the main post with new information from time to time. Expect a new update soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 8 Aug 2014, 12:32
Post #12

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

hey me too! I also like making my own universe in my head or either expanding some game lore from different games like dawn of war right now I have my unique faction custom made by me for dawn of war I also have sketches of units terrains weapons I also have and sometimes I pick a point in history and make my own history after it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 8 Aug 2014, 12:45
Post #13

Group Icon

I like that more people just feel like creating their own/expanding an already existing universe. If we all got together we could probably make some kick-ass movie or video game or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 8 Aug 2014, 16:17
Post #14

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 8 Aug 2014, 20:45) *
I like that more people just feel like creating their own/expanding an already existing universe. If we all got together we could probably make some kick-ass movie or video game or something.

Nice .. i wish i could upload my sketches... but someday I will if I find a way and have a freetime haha!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 8 Aug 2014, 19:26
Post #15

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Hmm. Interesting. Me likey.

What happened to the Russians in this universe? Are they just stuck on Earth in between the two powers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 8 Aug 2014, 19:40
Post #16

Group Icon

Well, I've written some more and here's what I got: The Russians during the 24th century were hit by an asteroid. Calling it a 'Second Tunguska', the Russian economy was crippled, as was much of it industrial infrastructure which had been moved to Siberia. The country was thrown into poverty, riots emerged, the President enacted martial law, and just before a civil war broke out the President and most of the Kremlin got assassinated by a drone. The drone self-destructed, so no one knew who controlled it. In the power vacuum that followed, the UN entrusted their security force UNISEC to take control of Moscow and install a friendly regime, basically making the UN leaders of the country.
Some decades later, the Russian economy was back on track thanks to help from China, and the regime was handed over to the people in a new, democratic system of governance turning the nation into the Russian Republic. Meanwhile, the EU (which was pretty dystopian at the time, but that's another story) had taken the liberty and controlled most of Eastern Europe and the Balkans. The Russians felt the need to help their Slavic brothers, and threatened the EU if they wouldn't free the occupied nations. Not wanting a World War V, the UN forced the EU to cooperate, and handed over the Slavic nations to Russia, but not the Balkans. The Russians created the Eastern European Community, and now focus their attention to stopping the brushfire wars of Central Asia and the Caucasus rather than colonizing other planets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 9 Aug 2014, 0:33
Post #17

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

I see. So the Banderas are ours now tongue.gif

I really want that soup now, being a peasant. Hopefully it's not made from shellfish :S

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 9 Aug 2014, 0:42
Post #18

Group Icon

That soup is really expensive, and is only served in Chinese restaurants. You could get hold of some on the black market though wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 11 Aug 2014, 7:25
Post #19

Group Icon

POLITICS AND HISTORIC WARS

There are many political entities in this universe. Maybe not as many as the real world, or sci-fi works that cover the entire galaxy, but there are plenty. Here is a list that narrows down and summarizes the biggest political entities in the world today. For any question not answered in the following summarizes, please ask.

United Nations - The biggest player on Earth. The UN became tired of not being able to do squat in a world full of conflict in the mid-21st century, so they decided to create the multinational task-force UNISEC, United Nations International Security Enforcement Corps. It is a self-sustained army composed of volunteers from around the globe, as well as hired mercenaries and private militaries that became prominent after the Mercenary Act was dropped. The UN peacekeepers work around the clock around the globe to undermine wars and help those in need, including humanitarian aid and disaster relief. The UN not only helps on the political front; in the 23rd century they regulaized and took control of all education throughout North America and eventually the entire world. The Education Committee made sure everyone got equal opportunities in education no matter what race, gender or IQ they possessed. The UN also passed the Environmental Protection Act, effectively banning all forms of environmental damage throughout the world including hunting, fishing, poaching, foresting, logging and large-scale mining. Gigantic nature reserves became off-limits for any human, regardless of motivation, and are patrolled 24/7 by security drones. Waterborne vehicles were converted into hydrofoils skimming on the surface, in order to disturb marine animals as little as possible. Resources that were needed could now be processed from technology, such as artificial food, artificial paper and even virtual hunting for those that still wanted to do that.
American Defense Pact - In the 21st century following World War III, NATO was shattered. The United States was broken and their economy in ruins, and it seemed this was the end for the 'Land of the Free'. But no, they weren't going to give up so easily. A group of military leaders took control of the ineffective government, enacted martial law and made damn well sure their country got back on its feet. Through sheer willpower, the military junta convinced its population to work hard for a better tomorrow, and managed to rebuild America to its former glory. Canada, which had been pretty unscathed by the war, forged an alliance with the reborn USA which became the American Defense Pact. A mutually beneficial military and economic alliance, the military strength of America and the economic superiority of Canada soon proved to be a big power in the new world. Eventually, the ADP spread throughout the Americas, including the likes of Mexico, Central America, Colombia and Venezuela, until nearly all the Americas was part of the pact. Unified defense of the American continent soon proved to be harder than believed, as overpopulation, poverty and famine took its tool on the Pact. Eventually, the government in Washington, D.C. decided that they could not survive staying just on Earth, and formed the Outer Space Alliance together with the New European Union and Arab League. Using their unified economy and space programs, they developed colony ships and terraforming devices which would spread their empire to other planets. And the rest, well, is covered above.

I'll continue later when my hands are ready for writing again.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 2:15