Rise of the Reds Update: Arena Mode Explained
__CrUsHeR
post 22 Jun 2014, 14:40
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Hmmm, MARS commented in the chat stream that does not have a story behind the Militia, just a disconnected faction. tongue.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tgn89
post 22 Jun 2014, 17:22
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 9109

one another thing are we gonna see some militia infantry and aircraft or maybe even some ships aswell or is this it ? it would be more awesome if we would see those because if it stays like this then...well...meh

--------------------
DOZER move aside !

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 22 Jun 2014, 18:52
Post #28

Arena maker
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10203

Why exactly would you like to see infantry and ships? From a game design perspective what purpose would these units have? what role would they fulfill?

You know, it's easy to say - add this because its cool and otherwise it's meh... but if you are going to suggest it then provide explanation about the purpose those units would serve...

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
HoneyBee
post 22 Jun 2014, 19:54
Post #29

Lazy Cookie Monster
Group Icon

Member No.: 10435

QUOTE (XAttus @ 22 Jun 2014, 18:52) *
Why exactly would you like to see infantry and ships? From a game design perspective what purpose would these units have? what role would they fulfill?

Militia Infantry could serve as meat-meatshields. That is, meatshields of the meatshields. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 22 Jun 2014, 21:51
Post #30

That person
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Infantry is easy. Just use the unused UN infantry, since they look as generic as you can possibly get.

Ships on the other hand.. they are harder. While XAttus could just use ROTR's generic navy, you would need to have rivers and whatnot that may get in the way of the map...

This post has been edited by Generalcamo: 22 Jun 2014, 21:54

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 22 Jun 2014, 23:00
Post #31

Arena maker
Group Icon

The main problem I have with infantry is that they screw up the pathfinding of the tanks even more. It's already enough that some of them freeze randomly and forget what they are supposed to do. Moreover, the tanks themselves are not good against infantry (they are professional roadkillers though but it goes without saying that infantry in waves have to be uncrushable) so they would just sit there and shoot and that looks really odd.

Don't tell me that I didn't try.. I made some experiments with infantry, but the conclusion is that it causes a lot of unpleasant problems in exchange for looking good next to the tanks... and I dont like that trade.

So for now the idea is rejected unless Hunter and I come up with a solution to make infantry viable in a way that it won't break the game.

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 23 Jun 2014, 1:05
Post #32

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

On a serious note, if it weren't a reskin of the rather advanced US Eisenhower, I could probably just whip up an explanation right about now.

For example, the Basilisk (T28/T95 GMC) would be a much simpler sell,

--------------------

+Quote Post
HoneyBee
post 23 Jun 2014, 2:20
Post #33

Lazy Cookie Monster
Group Icon

Member No.: 10435

QUOTE (XAttus @ 22 Jun 2014, 23:00) *
- Snip -

Fair enough.
(Though I was mostly joking, as infantry is doomed anyway.) tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 23 Jun 2014, 3:09
Post #34

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

May I please see a close-up of the Russian Airfield for the Arena mode?

Also, I doubt China will be OP here: They have only 1 Factory, 1 Barracks and 1 Air Field. serious.gif screwyou.gif

Also, I think I have something like lore for the Militia:

2 mercenary forces, both rivals (just like RED and BLU of TF2). They may once have been part of a bigger mercenary group (hence, why they share the same technology), but for some reason, they split into two factions and became extremely bitter rivals. Both mercenary forces are available in strategic locations in the world (preferably battlegrounds in the Russo-European war), and have been paid to fight for teams before the battle.

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 23 Jun 2014, 6:36
Post #35

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

One COULD take the Miltia to be standard grunts of the armed forces for the RF, ECA, USA, and PRC, while you represent the special ops or something like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tgn89
post 23 Jun 2014, 9:44
Post #36

Group Icon

Member No.: 9109

No im not saying just add it because its cool i was just suggesting it. Because of a more gradual way. You know instead of just militia tanks right from the start we could start with infantry,jeeps,APCs,tanks,arty,HT hell maybe even ships. Or choppers

This post has been edited by tgn89: 23 Jun 2014, 9:44

--------------------
DOZER move aside !

+Quote Post
Darky
post 23 Jun 2014, 10:10
Post #37

Group Icon

Member No.: 9643

Yeah a Basilisk reskin would have been better. But hey, we could always get a Militia Assault Gun. *hint hint*

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 23 Jun 2014, 17:49
Post #38

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 23 Jun 2014, 2:05) *
For example, the Basilisk (T28/T95 GMC) would be a much simpler sell,

i honestly don't see how a 100 years old prototype gun carriage will be easy to sell than a model from other mod, to me it sounds as silly at people suggesting a Maus for the ECA
besides, i dont think they will get any lore outside of being generic looking unit for genericstan

having some light anti air/infantry and a light chopper could be nice through

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 23 Jun 2014, 18:32
Post #39

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

You can reasonably expect an infantry unit since hey, UN Soldiers are still in the files. Not too sure about airforce though.

+Quote Post
TornadoADV
post 23 Jun 2014, 20:49
Post #40

Group Icon

Member No.: 9536
Call the Ball

Milita for 6th playable RotR faction.

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 23 Jun 2014, 21:52
Post #41

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Nope, Militia is not playable faction and those units are not build able.

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 24 Jun 2014, 7:34
Post #42

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

QUOTE (DELETED MEMBER @ 23 Jun 2014, 9:49) *
i honestly don't see how a 100 years old prototype gun carriage will be easy to sell than a model from other mod, to me it sounds as silly at people suggesting a Maus for the ECA
besides, i dont think they will get any lore outside of being generic looking unit for genericstan

having some light anti air/infantry and a light chopper could be nice through

Because, it doesn't have to be the T28/95, it's a fairly generic shape, simple enough to reasonably assume a common militia would have made it, while stillin intimidating.

On the other hand, this eisenhower reskin is still somewhat hi-tech and a common militia coming up with it is a bit confusing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 24 Jun 2014, 9:35
Post #43

Arena maker
Group Icon

I don't get why the lore matters so much, I place gameplay and usability on a much higher level than thinking about how could a small neutral underfunded army come up with a tank like that. They stole it from somewhere... gave it a good paintjob and now use it for their own cause.. end of story biggrin.gif

We needed a tank that can take hits and hits back hard, and this model is perfect for that while also looking scary.

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 24 Jun 2014, 12:50
Post #44

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 24 Jun 2014, 8:34) *
Because, it doesn't have to be the T28/95, it's a fairly generic shape, simple enough to reasonably assume a common militia would have made it, while stillin intimidating.

On the other hand, this eisenhower reskin is still somewhat hi-tech and a common militia coming up with it is a bit confusing.

uh, no, not at all, the t28 has a very unique shape, far away from generic slopped box with a cannon like the Hetzer or the jagdmammuth
i think the problem is than you have this perception of the eisenhower as some hi-tech vehicle, it maybe in the mod it comes from, but as its core is another mammoth homenage
futher more for what we know it may as well be a US made tank designed to militia specifications instead of domestic use

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:10
Post #45

Group Icon

I find interesting the Heavy Tank: simple and compact aesthetically, as a slightly more modern Mammoth Tank.

What seems to be slightly off on 'context Militia' is the proper Militia Tank; I understand that these units may not deserve special attention as they are simply and basic additions to the 'main gameplay' but the Militia Tank is very basic and ugly at the same time, almost equal to the Battlemaster, very different compared with the Artillery and Heavy Tank in terms of quality; I would like to see the old GLA Centurion Tank for example - or any other basic GLA tank in Shockwave - than this poor unit abandoned amid the General's lines.

NOTE: as I imagined the Arena is a real battlefield with many explosions and destruction; Great way to play multiplayer. aw.gif

This post has been edited by __CrUsHeR: 24 Jun 2014, 13:17

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Chuck Kawosky
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:13
Post #46

Group Icon

Member No.: 9793

How do i download this?

+Quote Post
Darky
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:18
Post #47

Group Icon

Member No.: 9643

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 24 Jun 2014, 14:10) *
I find interesting the Heavy Tank: simple and compact aesthetically, as a slightly more modern Mammoth Tank.

What seems to be slightly off on 'context Militia' is the proper Militia Tank; I understand that these units may not deserve special attention as they are simply and basic additions to the 'main gameplay' but the Militia Tank is very basic and ugly at the same time, almost equal to the Battlemaster, very different compared with the Artillery and Heavy Tank in terms of quality; I would like to see the old GLA Centurion Tank for example than this poor unit abandoned amid the General's lines.

Militia Tanks are leftovers from ZH if I am not mistaken while these models are custom made.

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:19
Post #48

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 24 Jun 2014, 13:10) *

What seems to be slightly off on 'context Militia' is the proper Militia Tank; I understand that these units may not deserve special attention as they are simply and basic additions to the 'main gameplay' but the Militia Tank is very basic and ugly at the same time, almost equal to the Battlemaster, very different compared with the Artillery and Heavy Tank in terms of quality; I would like to see the old GLA Centurion Tank for example than this poor unit abandoned amid the General's lines.

This.

The GLA Centurion Scorpion was well made, it'd be a shame if it is put to waste.

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:20
Post #49

Group Icon

QUOTE (DarkyPwnz @ 24 Jun 2014, 9:18) *
Militia Tanks are leftovers from ZH if I am not mistaken while these models are custom made.

In fact; this seems to have been minimally edited and received a new skin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 24 Jun 2014, 13:21
Post #50

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 24 Jun 2014, 14:20) *
In fact; this seems to have been minimally edited and received a new skin.

Nope only thing different about the ZH militia tank and the ones we have now is purely technical and functional.
Vissualy it has not been altered at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 9:55