IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
USA: Air Start vs Ground Start, 1v1's and Teamgames
1v1s and Teamgames
What building do you open with as USA (which of these do you build first?)
Airfield Opening [ 12 ] ** [38.71%]
Warfactory Opening [ 19 ] ** [61.29%]
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Marakar
post 29 Nov 2016, 20:52
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 11665

Since there's been a lot of recent discussion about USA, I felt like opening up a thread for discussion about it to see how people play their USA. This is purely just to generate discussion, seeing how people like to play USA and possibly why they are interested to play USA a certain way.

So as for the question: USA openings are generally interesting since you have both an Airfield and Warfactory you can build at T0. So what do you like to open up with: Airfield or Warfactory? Wold be interesting to also see the thought process behind said opening.

Personally, I've been doing Warfactory build order generally, though I have come to love 2 Airfield Start and spam Hunter Killers to hunt vehicles or Vipers against factions with paper armor AA (GLA, China) and sometimes I like to try my luck with a 1 Airfield techrush where I go quickly into commanches. While WF is a reliable opening, I feel as though a well-microed Airfield opening that micros air units well is potent in its own regard too (though it is much more micro intensive than Humvee kiting).

--------------------

Drop Commander
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tobæ
post 29 Nov 2016, 22:38
Post #2

The
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12008

I'm pretty sure a War factory opening is safer for USA. Humvee s are quite good and flexible.

Oops, did I post in the wrong thread?

This post has been edited by Tobæ: 29 Nov 2016, 22:39

--------------------
~Not All Aussies Are Racist, I Hope~

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 29 Nov 2016, 22:48
Post #3

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

Depends on opponent and matchup.
As much as i prefer air start because PLANES, WF is by far the safer and more reliable option, especially in 1.87 with drones being available now too.

The simple fact of the matter is, vees kill AA better than vipers do.

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
Zion
post 29 Nov 2016, 23:20
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10992

The only way you could ever go air start in rotr, is if raptors were t0. Or ur playing a newbie. Then u can start with 3 airfields.

+Quote Post
Emin96
post 29 Nov 2016, 23:21
Post #5

CHINA MAIN
Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 10145
ROTR Italian Translator

Always going for a warfactory because i suck with air at the start (t0) i feel my base protected when i start with warfactory and i have ofcourse more option that i like tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hecthor Doomhamm...
post 30 Nov 2016, 1:52
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 10281

I would have to go with Airfield opening, if only because of the Vet Company GP and soon the re-done Seal/pathfinder GP, where you also get the Little Bird

tho I suck with jets, I do like me some good combat drops with plenty of Vet infantry

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 30 Nov 2016, 1:58
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

I go air generaly, with quick t1, then the rapter and manchie fun starts biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
M01
post 30 Nov 2016, 4:23
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10658
Yo buddy... Still Alive?

I find it ironic with the USA faction's tactics are Air Superiority and Unmanned Combat Units where the most safe way for them to use are ground units rather than the aforementioned "Air Superiority" at least the drones shows some promise

However

in the recent streams there are new "stuff" that will probably solidify the overall entitled "tactics" of the USA faction

+Quote Post
8igDaddy8lake
post 30 Nov 2016, 6:17
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 10285

I generally go air field first, as I've had some interesting success with a Littlebird rush. Get two Littlebirds, one to scout and the other to transport troops, and you can get pretty good map control with some infantry support (garrisons are your best friend).

+Quote Post
miragefla
post 30 Nov 2016, 7:21
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 12965

Generally I go WF simply due to the fact it is safer. It may be more expensive, but it builds faster and gets those Vees out to harass and counter-harass.

Of course map size changes things greatly.

+Quote Post
Cokuno1993
post 30 Nov 2016, 8:15
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 12666

USA without opening airfield first, oh boy you gonna have a bad time, i usually use vibers to counter early rush, then get WF to get humvees to counter AA, i find USA is easier to play with Air start rather than ground start (as current 1.86), because helis react very fast and depend on how you avoid AA, though i only play with A.Is and never online because my internet sucks and my ping is too damn high, so don't take too much credits from me.
ps: i'm in Asia and i really want to play online, but with the constant mismatch, i don't know what i should do, i hope someone could help

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 30 Nov 2016, 8:21
Post #12

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

QUOTE (M01 @ 30 Nov 2016, 4:23) *
I find it ironic with the USA faction's tactics are Air Superiority and Unmanned Combat Units where the most safe way for them to use are ground units rather than the aforementioned "Air Superiority" at least the drones shows some promise

However

in the recent streams there are new "stuff" that will probably solidify the overall entitled "tactics" of the USA faction

USA's theme is the "Jack of all Trades" kinda faction. Good at everything masters at none. Their only really strong point is the tankiness of their GP Roster.
The Airforce, tank, and specops theme will eventually be seperated into 3 distinct subfactions tongue.gif

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 30 Nov 2016, 14:32
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 11210

QUOTE (Cokuno1993 @ 30 Nov 2016, 12:15) *
ps: i'm in Asia and i really want to play online, but with the constant mismatch, i don't know what i should do, i hope someone could help

Check your PM a bit later.

I prefer WF build because AF is too risky if your opponent have strong AA (Russia, GLA). Sure if you will make a fortress from your base in USABruce-style with T1 rushing then maybe you have a chance but anyway it's too risky and I think current 1.86 ver do not let it to do many times.

This post has been edited by XAOC-RU-: 30 Nov 2016, 14:36

+Quote Post
Cokuno1993
post 30 Nov 2016, 17:04
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 12666

i think you guys just don't give Air too much credits, i used to opened WF first but i find that USA vehicles is very expensive (with drone upgrade) but pretty fragile if i don't handle well, even if i get to tier 1, my tanks usually get crush by Russia's tank or the sheer amount of China's Tank and infantry, or the fast rocket attack of Buggy and Bike from GLA. And when i massed a group of Crusader, Paladin, Avenger, some Artillery like WASP, then my group of tank with get destrohyed one by one, thanks to enemies aircraft. Mind you that when i tried to go Tanks, it usually mid game by that point, i guess i'm just suck, even if i try to Rush-Vee in early game.
while i go Air, it would be a lot easier, with some vipers (i don't usually spend point on Aircraft GP so no Little Bird) i can counter rush and expand a lot of map, then i go for Raptors for tank-snipe, then in mid game i go Comanches, oh boy how i love those comanches, they are true tank-hunter imo, 8 Hellfire missiles really put Comanches on a different level than it used to, with some micro and Countermeasure upgrade, it could hurt your economy when your tank group get destroyed in seconds. Heavy anti-air is a job for Stealth fighter. The rest of the game when i massed enough economy i go for tank to finish.
You know how some group members said USA is currently on the weak side, i too also thought like that, until i go Air

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 1 Dec 2016, 7:12
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 9155

Heh, never viewed Air build as a valid secondary opening for US (like FieldCom is for ECA) for in 1v1's unless you're top level skill and can counter AA rush with Air. And reasons why we never looked into equalizing it with Warfactory build are same - if there'd be reliable cost-efficient way to counter AA rush with Air opening, then how on earth do you put pressure on it?

Teamgames, it's entirely different matter, you can just go air and FBs or/and rely on your teammates to protect your mainbase/go for ground map control, though an early vee blob at the right time at the right place can be even more deadly. (2v1's and such).

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 1 Dec 2016, 7:13

+Quote Post
Zion
post 1 Dec 2016, 16:34
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 10992

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 1 Dec 2016, 1:12) *
Teamgames, it's entirely different matter, you can just go air and FBs or/and rely on your teammates to protect your mainbase/go for ground map control, though an early vee blob at the right time at the right place can be even more deadly. (2v1's and such).

Yup team games are the exception, cuz for example russia usa combo, russia can hold the line pretty well, and usa can go barracks and air, and do early harassment with choppers, this also depends on the map, and how close the team bases are together

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 16 Dec 2016, 9:34
Post #17

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

WF start, because is risky when i start with the airfield.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 14:40