anyone?, does someone wants to help me?
Python99
post 5 Oct 2012, 15:34
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9344

hello everybody.

i'm new on this forum, and i first want to say, i'm dutch, so my english is not that good.
second thing, does someone wants to make a mod with me? and before you go from yay!, there's one thing: I can't modd. i've tried it, but I just can't. but i'm full of ideas, so if anyone want to mod for me, while I give the ideas for it, I would be very happy. I also didn't know where to put this, so any moderator, feel free to move it to another place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 5 Oct 2012, 16:23
Post #2

C&C:Reichsmarsch Mod Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 9264

Firstly, modding a game, especially Zero Hour is not that difficult. So, looking at this post and seeing that you've "tried" and "just can't" seems to me like you give up pretty easily. If I'm working on a mod, I wouldn't want a leader that gives up just like that.
Also, if you want to make a mod and you are recruiting, it is a must to show something. Even if you can't make models or even code, at least some description of your ideas (since you say you have so many) presented would also help. Maybe include pictures (even drawings) of your ideas if it would help.
If your ideas are really very good, then someone might offer help.

I don't normally shoot people down straight away nor do I like people who do, but since I've been in your position before I think it would be best that someone tells you this early so you know what it's going to take.

Make a simple mod is not hard. Making well-designed, balanced, good-looking and fun to play mods are not too difficult either. But it does take hard work to get it done.

I'm currently a one-man team so far on my mod and I can tell you it isn't something that gets done overnight. So please, think through your mod idea and come up with a plan.
This plan should clearly state what your mod is going to do. It should show what extent you are changing the game to.

From there, you can find some tutorials and get started by yourself first. That way, at least even if no one is available to help you, your mod is still getting started.

But if after reading this and you feel it's too much work, then you merely prove my initial statement correct.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
Python99
post 5 Oct 2012, 17:55
Post #3

Group Icon

thanks! I indeed gave up pretty easy, and I will try starting on it. but i'm having a busy job, so progress is going to go slowly, thats why I am looking for a team, so like that, there is always at least one person working on it. And about those ideas, here a few examples:

a new general for USA, the particle general, being good with particle weapons (and ion cannons too).
-a replacement for burton, called the Uplink trooper (gonna chance that name), who can call in particle cannons strikes, as well as ion cannon strikes. He also uses small versions of the particle cannon and ion cannon.
-a mobile particle cannon (or ion canon).

a china general which uses advanced artillery and tactics to give his units better survivability chances on the battlefield.
-a artillery helicopter, capable of striking units from afar.
-giving (some) artillery the capability of striking units from close, but because of the recoil, the tank will be unusable for several seconds. this can be reduced with 50% by buying the CQCM (Close Quarter CounterMeasures) upgrade.
For GLA nothing so far, its hard to get up with good ideas for them. I want to do this with all the units from shockwave, so I need permission of those modders, but like that it is gonna be a mod for shockwave. Is this what you meant? I hope so.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 6 Oct 2012, 2:30
Post #4

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (Python99 @ 6 Oct 2012, 0:55) *
I want to do this with all the units from shockwave, so I need permission of those modders...

Hate to burst your bubble but you're probably not gonna be allowed to use ALL the units. It took a lot of time and effort to make those units and SWR's not to keen on just giving them away.

Before you start giving me links to mod's you saw that use ShockWave models, lemme stop you right there, they we're most likely taken without permission.

...there is always at least one person working on it.

Well from my experience, work usually stops when the leader isn't around. Remember we are doing this for free and we're busy as well. As leader it's your job to constantly check on the work and keep your team motivated, and again I'm sorry if this offends or discourages you, but working on a mod that simply adds a bunch of new units and new generals for the existing factions doesn't sound very interesting. It's been done a million times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 6 Oct 2012, 6:19
Post #5

C&C:Reichsmarsch Mod Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 9264

thanks! I indeed gave up pretty easy, and I will try starting on it. but i'm having a busy job, so progress is going to go slowly, thats why I am looking for a team, so like that, there is always at least one person working on it. And about those ideas, here a few examples:

a new general for USA, the particle general, being good with particle weapons (and ion cannons too).
-a replacement for burton, called the Uplink trooper (gonna chance that name), who can call in particle cannons strikes, as well as ion cannon strikes. He also uses small versions of the particle cannon and ion cannon.
-a mobile particle cannon (or ion canon).

a china general which uses advanced artillery and tactics to give his units better survivability chances on the battlefield.
-a artillery helicopter, capable of striking units from afar.
-giving (some) artillery the capability of striking units from close, but because of the recoil, the tank will be unusable for several seconds. this can be reduced with 50% by buying the CQCM (Close Quarter CounterMeasures) upgrade.
For GLA nothing so far, its hard to get up with good ideas for them. I want to do this with all the units from shockwave, so I need permission of those modders, but like that it is gonna be a mod for shockwave. Is this what you meant? I hope so.

This is ok. But it needs more. Think about where the overall mod is going to. Is it a full expansion like Shockwave is? Is it a Total Conversion like what RotR is doing? Or is it just a mini-mod. Also like Zeke said, if the leader is not around, usually nothing gets done. A good leader needs to be able to motivate the team all the way. If you are seen to be slacking off from working on the mod then the rest of the team could end up being even lazier.
And yes, it is all being done for free so it is not likely that you will have people who are self-motivated like this. Since all the work takes time, it is ok if this is just something you do on your weekend on your spare time after work.

I too have a job, like many other modders on the forum, and I will just work on the mod in my spare time.

Also when it comes to using resources from another mod, you will need to get explicit permission to do so and it is not something that will come easily so the best is really to learn how to do it yourself.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 6 Oct 2012, 9:27
Post #6

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Using ressources from other mods without their explicit consent is outright illegal and will get your mod banned and get you a bad reputation in the community. Accept this fact and we're golden.

As I read it, you didn't really think it through which is unsurprising because you wrote you have no experience so here's SorataZ's 101 on potentially awesome designs.

1) A couple of questions are needed first before you actually start anything.
Personal stuff:
-Are you willing to work without pay and in your free time? If no, drop the idea right now and go play Katawa Shoujo to uplift your morale instead.
-What are your skills and talents and can you, if you have any (and believe me, EVERYONE has something they don't suck at) improve on them? Can you learn new things? What are the things you really cannot work out even if your life were dependant on it? For me, that would be coding Red Alert 3 for example.
-Are you a leader or are you a worker bee? As in, which side you stand on the "shut up and work" debatte.
Concepts/Goals:
-What kind of project are you starting? Mini-mod, partial conversion, total conversion, Stand-alone mod? For what game? Can your ideas be recreated in the game of your choosing? Try to search for predence cases. As an example, it was thought impossible to recreate the Chronosphere in Zero:Hour until I, The_Hunter and someone from European Conflict found out ways around it or outright make it work. Be ready to change plans if the software refuses or hope some genius will find a way.
-Has it been done before? If so, that's not good but also not bad. Don't be original (that's impossible), be creative (that's very possible). Remember, with work you can be better.
The Team:
-Unless you're doing a mini-mod you probably can't work alone. Can you work in a team or lead one? What types of talents do you need for a successful project? Can you convince them to work with you? Throwing out ideas left and right is easy and no one's going to help you. Posting a fully skinned and rigged model, possibly ingame and working, a sound bank, music piece or voice set will make people think "Woah that's cool that might be a success" and they are more likely to join you.
-Internal quarrels will inevitably happen, we're all people. Hell, I lost my mod position once due to something personal and only got it back by serious effort. Can you solve these quarrels? If not, who can?

Read so far, then post because otherwise I won't bother to go to step 2. Nothing personal, but think this through if you're going to dedicate a chunk of your valuable life time to something you won't get any money for (but which will hone your skills if you're serious about it).

This post has been edited by SorataZ: 6 Oct 2012, 9:29

+Quote Post
Python99
post 6 Oct 2012, 12:15
Post #7

Group Icon

thanks to all for all the advise. I am gonna work on the mod, but can someone then tell me how you need to modd? or give a tutorial or something like that? 'cause I have no idea. and by the way, its gonna be a mod which only add things, like shockwave. and I thought it through, and its gonna be a mod for command and conquer generals zero hour, so just the original.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 6 Oct 2012, 12:35
Post #8

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

Here are some helpful links:
http://www.jlgamefiles.com/mystiquestudios...board,19.0.html
http://forum.falloutstudios.org/forum/76-c...o-hour-editing/

If you have any specific questions. Feel free to post it in this forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Python99
post 6 Oct 2012, 13:46
Post #9

Group Icon

thanks

+Quote Post
Zvornik
post 7 Apr 2013, 4:09
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9886

QUOTE (Zeke @ 6 Oct 2012, 2:30) *
Before you start giving me links to mod's you saw that use ShockWave mode stop you right there, they we're most likely taken without permission.

Well seeing as there are no consequences for that, just wondering what is the point of needing permission for that?
i know that its the honorable thing to do but lets face it most people dont have an ounce of honor in them (especially in the western hemisphere). And dont even get me started on honor on the internet. Lol

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 7 Apr 2013, 17:34
Post #11

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

I'd prefer not to contribute to this epic thread necro, but seeing as you quoted my post I feel obligated to reply.

We modders do in fact have a sort of "honor system" that we keep as a sign of respect to our fellow modders in recognition of their skill and hard work.

And while your right in saying there is no real consequence as it's technically not illegal to take assets from other mods, anyone who does it and is caught will be generally looked down upon by the rest of the modding community, and the more zealous members might resort to flaming and reporting your mod to the admins or things like that, which is generally not something you'd want if your trying to start a new mod.

tl;dr: technically you can do it, but everyone will hate you for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FloppySovereign
post 15 Jul 2014, 0:10
Post #12

Group Icon

From: Adelaide, SA, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Cos System, Milkyway, Quadrant A1
Member No.: 10542

Could I have a helping hand....?

I'm easily more new than this guy, I joined this community to get an insight into modding before I really started anything that I didn't want to, as the same as python, I have more ideas for individual units and so fourth, but I really stuck at square 1. What software would I use to design new unit/object models?

--------------------
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 22:13