Closed TopicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: Preserving Freedom
Umpfelgrumpf
post 27 Apr 2014, 19:56
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10149

Since USA does have some kind of "better" Flare Drop, will China get some improvement on their ECM Flare Bomb?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 27 Apr 2014, 20:38
Post #27

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

Pretty cool new U.S. toys. I look forward to using them.

And also Doomguy 8Isov.gif (that Doom lover on this forums will love 1.85)

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
TornadoADV
post 27 Apr 2014, 22:29
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 9536
Call the Ball

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 27 Apr 2014, 9:14) *
Really cool update, both those units/structures are quite potent, as anyone who's played the internal betas can tell you!

The Cyclops replaces the Phalanx, but that doesn't mean that the Rolling Airframe Missile and Standard missile haven't been replaced by it. In fact, you can have both on the ground in game with the Cyclops and Protector Missile System.

The LASER and the Phalanx both occupy the same terminal range defense zone. You can't risk losing defense potency due to water spray or rough seas, that's why the USN is combing them onto the same platform.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 27 Apr 2014, 22:41
Post #29

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

QUOTE (TornadoADV @ 27 Apr 2014, 22:29) *
The LASER and the Phalanx both occupy the same terminal range defense zone. You can't risk losing defense potency due to water spray or rough seas, that's why the USN is combing them onto the same platform.

Tis a game Tornado! Lasers are cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shockfan42
post 27 Apr 2014, 23:55
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 8836

USA super battle bases, well, is a war. Really only like this if some sunken. Russia not need a war in two (or three) fronts. GLA vengance?, SAP help to soviets? can be a good idea, but is your history. The WW 3 have a temporary stand by, well work.

--------------------
EMPEROR OF SQUIRRELKIND

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 27 Apr 2014, 23:59
Post #31

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

How will the Guardian angel fare against the Wotan and Twin Fang? On another note, can the SICLOPS shoot down an entire grad barrage?

EDIT:

I think Salvation war has an answer that works fairly well.
There was a problem in using big, powerful lasers in an atmosphere. Microscopic drops of water in the air vaporized when the laser hit them, forming tiny lenses that dispersed the laser beam. It was called blooming and that’s what allowed the otherwise invisible beam to be seen. It also degraded the power of the laser and increasing the energy it contained to compensate didn’t help much. The more power in the beam, the faster the droplets turned into lenses and the greater the energy losses became. On its own, that made for a losing game. The answer had been remarkably simple once somebody had thought of it. Shine a medium power laser at the target first and it would clear all the water droplets out of the way. Then fire the main beam down the channel before they had a chance to reform. It sounded cranky but it worked.

ALSO EDIT:

If a Cyclops shot a Wotan which was firing back, which would win?

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 28 Apr 2014, 0:04

--------------------

+Quote Post
TornadoADV
post 28 Apr 2014, 0:24
Post #32

Group Icon

Call the Ball

The Angel TMD creates a missile/targeting dead zone. It cannot be targeted and anything flying inside the zone it creates cannot be targeted.

+Quote Post
Claine
post 28 Apr 2014, 0:30
Post #33

Group Icon

Member No.: 8902

absolutely awesome ^^ update ani8b.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 28 Apr 2014, 4:25
Post #34

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

I think the Guardian Angel TMD is meant to replace cruise-missile Tomahawks when it comes to airstrike support, and it's also meant to support any assault.

And the Cyclops Tactical Laser, is it true that it is meant to replace the Chaparral (for Tier 2 Anti-Aircraft) when 2.0 come out in earnest?

Somewhat off-topic question:

Is it me, or is the USA meant to have a weak point with China, on the defense in particular?

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 28 Apr 2014, 4:33
Post #35

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

QUOTE (Karpath @ 27 Apr 2014, 22:25) *
And the Cyclops Tactical Laser, is it true that it is meant to replace the Chaparral (for Tier 2 Anti-Aircraft) when 2.0 come out in earnest?

Nope, the Cyclops Tactical Laser is new addition Tier-2 AA defense Structure for all USA Generals(maybe).

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 28 Apr 2014, 4:37
Post #36

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

QUOTE (general k @ 28 Apr 2014, 5:33) *
Nope, the Cyclops Tactical Laser is new addition Tier-2 AA defense Structure for all USA Generals(maybe).

Maybe I misheard, I think I heard that the Chaparral was going to be a Tier-2 Anti-Aircraft exclusive for one general. Is this true?

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 28 Apr 2014, 4:47
Post #37

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

General Bradley have one, but I'm not quiet sure about that.

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 28 Apr 2014, 5:57
Post #38

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

IIRC all USA will get the Cyclops. while the Chappy will be exclusive to Bradley.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2014, 7:23
Post #39

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 28 Apr 2014, 0:59) *
I think Salvation war has an answer that works fairly well.

Seeing how the Cyclops operates in-game, this is actually quite possible. First you see a 'weak' beam pointing at the target, followed by a quick, high-intensity burst that does the damage.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 28 Apr 2014, 7:29
Post #40

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

QUOTE (DarkyPwnz @ 27 Apr 2014, 19:20) *
Sorata mentioned the other three rocket equipped artillery units as ballistic missile users which isn't the case.

Cool, I didn't even know myself I said that.

+Quote Post
TornadoADV
post 28 Apr 2014, 12:25
Post #41

Group Icon

Call the Ball

QUOTE (MARS @ 28 Apr 2014, 1:23) *
Seeing how the Cyclops operates in-game, this is actually quite possible. First you see a 'weak' beam pointing at the target, followed by a quick, high-intensity burst that does the damage.

Problem is, you're tracking a moving target, which means if it moves fast enough across the Cyclops's field of fire, the LASER will bleed power very quickly as you're forced to slew it through moist air you can't "pre-clear" like you can with the Particle Cannon shooting at a Geo Sync Sat. You'd have to shoot in very quick pulses which would reduce time the LASER is on target. A very smart way to reduce the effectiveness of LASERs on your projectiles is a very simple three steps : Speed, Rotation, Insulation.

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 28 Apr 2014, 12:39
Post #42

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

So the USA built the Spirit of Independence too - cool - in fact platforms with capacity for laser weapons, railgun, cruise missiles, hundreds of aircraft and drones is the latest weapon in terms of capacity to destruction. But surely Russia should have a weapon against all this, or China that should not be interested in seeing one of these fortrees as close to your coast.

I loved the Guardian Angel - especially the skin. I imagine a deadly combination between this aircraft and a group of Starlifters in the middle of an enemy base. wink.gif

The Cyclops was also very beautiful with all its details, is an interesting defense to be combined with an Russia's Tesla in team games.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 28 Apr 2014, 12:40
Post #43

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 28 Apr 2014, 12:39) *
So the USA built the Spirit of Independence too - cool - in fact platforms with capacity for laser weapons, railgun, cruise missiles, hundreds of aircraft and drones is the latest weapon in terms of capacity to destruction. But surely Russia should have a weapon against all this, or China that should not be interested in seeing one of these fortrees as close to your coast.

They have. Nukes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 28 Apr 2014, 13:26
Post #44

Group Icon

QUOTE (Svea Rike Soldier @ 28 Apr 2014, 8:40) *
They have. Nukes.

Yes, however the deliberate use of a nuclear weapon against one of the largest aircraft carriers of the United States - cause unimaginable military prejudice to the Pentagon - could open dangerous precedents for an nuclear escalation. I believe more in high-precision weapons, large-scale invasion or sabotage to sink one thing like this.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Darky
post 28 Apr 2014, 13:41
Post #45

Group Icon

Member No.: 9643

QUOTE (TornadoADV @ 28 Apr 2014, 13:25) *
Problem is, you're tracking a moving target, which means if it moves fast enough across the Cyclops's field of fire, the LASER will bleed power very quickly as you're forced to slew it through moist air you can't "pre-clear" like you can with the Particle Cannon shooting at a Geo Sync Sat. You'd have to shoot in very quick pulses which would reduce time the LASER is on target. A very smart way to reduce the effectiveness of LASERs on your projectiles is a very simple three steps : Speed, Rotation, Insulation.

Sort of a moot point as a realistic laser weapon would be an extremely short burst anyway. Sort of like those on the Laser Crusader.

Of course it's not as epic of a sight as a laser cutter tracking a plane, so it depends on how they're portrayed in RotR I suppose.

But I just except a big frickin laser beam.

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 28 Apr 2014, 14:21
Post #46

Group Icon

Member No.: 9942

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 28 Apr 2014, 20:26) *
Yes, however the deliberate use of a nuclear weapon against one of the largest aircraft carriers of the United States - cause unimaginable military prejudice to the Pentagon - could open dangerous precedents for an nuclear escalation. I believe more in high-precision weapons, large-scale invasion or sabotage to sink one thing like this.

I remember a certain RA3 mission regarding sabotaging a Japanese floating fortress AHEM.

Well, since I haven't seen China's navy yet, I expect sub spam. Either that, or macross missile shell massacre if they try to storm the Freedom.

However, I think that we are to see a US-China team-up, rather than a three-way slugfest.

--------------------
"The biggest problem of humanity is that it sees the failures first before the successes."

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 28 Apr 2014, 15:42
Post #47

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (TornadoADV @ 28 Apr 2014, 13:25) *

the problem is you are assuming a short range combat, while the cyclops seems to be designed for long range combat outside of the game where speed and rotation will be of minimal impact

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 28 Apr 2014, 15:59
Post #48

Group Icon

QUOTE (Knossos @ 28 Apr 2014, 10:21) *
I remember a certain RA3 mission regarding sabotaging a Japanese floating fortress AHEM.

Well, since I haven't seen China's navy yet, I expect sub spam. Either that, or macross missile shell massacre if they try to storm the Freedom.

However, I think that we are to see a US-China team-up, rather than a three-way slugfest.

Man I really love how BF4 addresses the question of the "Central Pacific Command" where the USS Titan and an entire fleet is bombarded by a lightning missile strike, the crew of the USS Valkyrie try to discover what actually happened while are attacked by Chinese navy at sea.

In the ROTR context is possible that China re-ally with the USA against Russia, since the situation of the main allies of the USA in the region - Japan and Korea - seems to be less confrontational with China than in RL.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 28 Apr 2014, 16:31
Post #49

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

The only thing that the MOBs could realistically be taken out by, would be orbital laser weapons in large volumes, as a Cruise missile would simply be hit by lasers, torpedoes have it better being underwater, but underwater drones are there to take them out.

That's the thing, the MOB has essentially won the arms race for now, and the countermeasures to it will take some time to actually start existing. Right now, China's only recourse will be to either Zerg it, or hack it, with Russia having neither option and more or less just gonna get wailed on in anywhere not under a blackout node.

The same could be said for the node itself, which will be rendered obsolete with more advanced sensors start existing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TornadoADV
post 28 Apr 2014, 19:35
Post #50

Group Icon

Call the Ball

QUOTE (Alguien @ 28 Apr 2014, 9:42) *
the problem is you are assuming a short range combat, while the cyclops seems to be designed for long range combat outside of the game where speed and rotation will be of minimal impact

Over the horizon, sea top height is an extremely short range engagment zone when the missiles are coming in at Mach 3+ and doing pre programmed flight path dodges. You have a very short time to heat up the missile's explosive before even if it's completely blinded it's momentum will carry it directly into your hull. Hence why the USN is combining the Phalanx with the LASER, the LASER can quickly stupidify the incoming missile and then the Phalanx can impart physical impacts to knock it away from the ship.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27 April 2024 - 11:26