Reply to this topicStart new topic
Map: vGenerals USA campaign mish 3, Modified for USAF
accomplice
post 16 Jun 2009, 0:00
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 166

Back then at the fallout forums, one of you talented people refined all vGen and vZH campaign missions with ShW goodness.
The 3rd USA mish (covering an allied USA's retreat) looked somewhat feasible for a Worldbuilder noob like me smile.gif

I considered USAF to be a more fitting candidate though than the SW gen, so I took the liberty to change the player faction to Granger.
To prevent going all to OP, there are no King Raptors, Stealth Fighters, Auroras and combat nooks. Furthermore no WF, no tech,
no defense buildings at all, limited general powers, Airfield not rebuildable, and a couple of extra surprise attacks from the GLA.
Latter one also gets a couple of GLA upgrades.

Hope you find it somewhat entertaining - oh and I'd be highly glad if someone could point out to me why the intro cinematics is a bit messed up.
The GLA squad is instructed to follow its path as a team (set to TRUE), but they still don't stay in formation shit.gif

Attached File  USA03_Airforce.zip ( 255.5K ) Number of downloads: 63

Modified 22.6.09

This post has been edited by accomplice: 22 Jun 2009, 18:19
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 16 Jun 2009, 0:02
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

Wait a second...if the USAF player can't build any of his aircraft, how is the player to complete the mission? huh.gif

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 16 Jun 2009, 0:06
Post #3

Group Icon

Hehe you forget his mighty stealth comanches, and his lancer cluster bombers smile.gif After all, in the original mission, you only had manchees and those useless stealth fighters anyways.
Just for fun, I've added the Little Bird to the helipad and the star lifter to the airfield to deploy your ground troops quickly if needed. You can use Medivac Nooks to drop repair kits for
the ally or your own troops. Also, you get a couple of free upgrades for your tanks and men etc, so I hope that the handicaps are not all too heavy wink.gif

This post has been edited by accomplice: 16 Jun 2009, 0:11

+Quote Post
Shock
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:52
Post #4

Forum Green
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

Not being able to rebuild the airfield doesn't make any sense at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 16 Jun 2009, 16:14
Post #5

Group Icon

Well, I did take that from the original mish - you were only able to build barracks, pps and patriots back then.
The main focus was on comanches and using their rocket pods to diminish the GLA zergs. As long as you can
rebuild your helipads, you can just pull out any number of manches you want smile.gif

I mainly just wanted the number of airfields to be limited to a single one in order to keep it that way.
Disabling the construction of airfields is a lazy way though, granted. Maybe I will see if I can put together
some script to control the number of airfields, similar to the control of tech buildings.

But after al, 4 Lancers already do enough mayhem to the poor scorpies and techies wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 16 Jun 2009, 17:42
Post #6

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

I haven't done this in a while. Where do I extract it to?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shock
post 16 Jun 2009, 17:50
Post #7

Forum Green
Group Icon

I can see how you want to limit the number of airfields which was probably the reason for the decision. I am no coding expert but if you want only one, just including a custom airfield with a build limit of one should suffice as well?

I do like how you encourage the usage of Lancers in the mission though, way better than the stealth fighters all the time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 16 Jun 2009, 20:37
Post #8

Group Icon

You have to go to your

...\My Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data\Maps\ folder, and extract the zip there. Ingame, you start a skirmish, and select Unofficial maps, and voila smile.gif

As for making a 'custom' airfield, I assume you mean setting up stuff in a map.ini file? I'm not familiar with that one at all, best I can think of is to use WB scripts to check if the player already has an AF, if yes, disable the airfield button on dozers, and once the AF dies, enable the button on dozers and so on, back and forth.

If anyone does know how to set build limits on units and structures, I'd be happy to hear your advice. So far I haven't found such an option in the script menu yet tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Shock
post 16 Jun 2009, 21:52
Post #9

Forum Green
Group Icon

I do not know, as I told I'm not into coding at all, whether it can be done with map scripts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 16 Jun 2009, 22:52
Post #10

Group Icon

Erm, just played it. And I was enjoying it.
Until at 188 saved. The GLA/USA stopped coming.

Could it have something to do with the GLA choppers taking out my airfield?

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 16 Jun 2009, 23:35
Post #11

Group Icon

It shouldn't - the reason is probably that the mish originally just needed 100 rescued US troops, and I haven't edited the scripts for all 10 waves of retreat and pursue, which I should probably do.
Basically, at the end of each wave, there's a check if the counter has reached 200 yet, and if so, send final wave. But the unedited waves (8-10) still send the final wave if the counter is at 100, while the win condition requires 200...

Sorry for that, I'll stop being lazy and change the latter waves too, just in case you let too many troops of the first 7 retreat waves die ;D

[edit]And done smile.gif New file in the OP. Hope I haven't screwed up something else this time tongue.gif

This post has been edited by accomplice: 17 Jun 2009, 0:51

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 17 Jun 2009, 0:57
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (accomplice @ 16 Jun 2009, 20:35) *
It shouldn't - the reason is probably that the mish originally just needed 100 rescued US troops, and I haven't edited the scripts for all 10 waves of retreat and pursue, which I should probably do.
Basically, at the end of each wave, there's a check if the counter has reached 200 yet, and if so, send final wave. But the unedited waves (8-10) still send the final wave if the counter is at 100, while the win condition requires 200...

Sorry for that, I'll stop being lazy and change the latter waves too, just in case you let too many troops of the first 7 retreat waves die ;D

[edit]And done smile.gif New file in the OP. Hope I haven't screwed up something else this time tongue.gif

Will try out the new version now... have you made the AF rebuildable or just fixed the numbers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 17 Jun 2009, 1:50
Post #13

Group Icon

Only fixed the numbers for now >_> After some research, the only way I could maintain the 1 Airfield rule would be to turn the dozer's airfield button on and off, but then again, you can realistically only lose the airfield at the last strike when the helis come, and if you have positioned your rockvees and rocknook right by then, you won't even lose it wink.gif I'll keep my eyes open for a solution, in case you lose the airfield sooner, maybe some extra units, or some surprise skycrane that rebuilds it and gtfo afterwards, who knows biggrin.gif

I may be working on some minor stuff in the meanwhile, some spinning triangles on the minimap, maybe some more menace to the airfield (yay!) and maybe different GLA units each wave, possibly more anti-air, due to ShW's drivin-and-shooting nerf, which makes those few quads a joke for a manchee zerg smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 17 Jun 2009, 1:57
Post #14

Group Icon

Just played it again. Got stick at 196

I saved almost all the units aswell.

Might i suggest adding an additional wave? Perhaps have them being chased by GLA choppers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 17 Jun 2009, 2:20
Post #15

Group Icon

Hm, that is a bit strange, I usually get the pensum at the wave lead by 2 MLRSs and mechanics, but I guess I sure can add 2 more waves tomorrow smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 17 Jun 2009, 16:50
Post #16

Group Icon

I also think you should take the GLA Chopper's fire rate down. 3-4 attacking with the full barrage nearly destroyed my airfield with loads of units defending it.

Edit: Also I am curious to know why the upgrades keep popping up during the intro and from an off-map Strat Centre. Can't you enable the upgrades to load with the mission, rather than during?

This post has been edited by Pickysaurus: 17 Jun 2009, 19:54

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 17 Jun 2009, 23:11
Post #17

Group Icon

Offmap upgrades because I wanted to keep the number of buildings low so you can focus on pulling manches - rather than having to build a WF which only has the tow missile and sheridan rocket upgrade which you would sell off after upgrading.

I believe that with the WB's tools, I can only grant the upgrades during the game, by scripting command button usage from offmap buildings, sadly. For example in missions where a USA opponent starts off with a strat center, he still only initiates his S&D after the game began etc...

Maybe, I'll add all some upgrade buttons to the Command Center or Airfield... but then again, I'd really prefer to have at least the TOW missiles and sheridan rockets right away smile.gif I'll try to find a more elegant solution smile.gif

As for the Helis, I'll consider reducing their attack to 6 missile bursts tongue.gif But I kinda liked the shocking rocket rain that wears down the airfield to 30-40% HP even despite the 4 MDfilled tow-vees, the pat and the MDnook >:þ

This post has been edited by accomplice: 17 Jun 2009, 23:12

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 19 Jun 2009, 14:28
Post #18

Group Icon

Alright, well let me know when you update it, I'd very much like to be able to complete this mission ^.^

/offtopic
Woot! 100 posts! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wew1994
post 21 Jun 2009, 2:06
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 180

this mission is awesome
I enjoyed it, laugh.gif
are you plannig on making more missions into Shw ones?
that would be cool aw.gif

--------------------

Who needs rockets, when we have Lasers?

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 22 Jun 2009, 18:15
Post #20

Group Icon

Hi again, sorry for the long silence, but sine I still am a WB noob, I had a hard time figuring out certain things. Tried to fix the messed up intro for quite some time before giving up tongue.gif

Also, I reduced the rescue requirement to 150, due to the fact that after the first 5 waves ( ~200 US units in total), the original scripts work differently and apparently randomly generate 1 of 5 US unit combinations to send into the field. Anyways, every other of these waves just vanish in as soon as you killed all the pursuers, even before they reach the end of the road, and I couldn't for my life figure out why.

As a little compensation, I have now built in a couple of Easter eggs, rewarding you with neat goodies smile.gif

Hints:
For extra fun, I recommend making use of the extra supplies and oil on the map too.
Try not to lose too many of your start units, they might come in handy for guarding your eco.
Remember, this is ShW, where terrorists have learned to fly too.
Find the surprises. Do it. And don't peek in WB, that's cheating!!

New mish attached in first post, have some screenies from my crappy old laptop smile.gif
Attached File  ss01.JPG ( 138.66K ) Number of downloads: 32

Intro scene

Attached File  ss02.JPG ( 174.79K ) Number of downloads: 29

First wave

Attached File  ss03.JPG ( 140.13K ) Number of downloads: 31

Better keep your nookies safe

Attached File  ss04.JPG ( 162.18K ) Number of downloads: 25

And your supply center too

Attached File  ss05.JPG ( 164.57K ) Number of downloads: 27

Medivac drops heal/repair kit for the ally

Attached File  ss06.JPG ( 141.97K ) Number of downloads: 30

Cold out here? Give them a warm greeting

I will probably try to work on some of the other less complex missions too. I am real weak when it comes to cinematics, and I currently just want to concentrate on scaling down the tech trees on certain maps, or script some adequate events etc.
For example having superweapons in the start missions is kinda unbalanced tongue.gif

This post has been edited by accomplice: 22 Jun 2009, 18:23

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 23 Jun 2009, 1:27
Post #21

Group Icon

Great! smile.gif

I'll give it a go now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 23 Jun 2009, 16:48
Post #22

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

i guess those pictures are from the old version...or new?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 23 Jun 2009, 16:58
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pal @ 23 Jun 2009, 13:48) *
i guess those pictures are from the old version...or new?

Screenies are from the new version.

Edit:
Just played the new version and I really enjoyed it.
A few niggly little things that bug me, but otherwise it's fine. Main problem is the first wave comes within 20seconds of the cutscene - gives you little time to prepare for it. Unless that was intended?

This post has been edited by Pickysaurus: 23 Jun 2009, 17:54

--------------------

+Quote Post
accomplice
post 23 Jun 2009, 18:15
Post #24

Group Icon

It was that way in the original and I haven't changed it. You might have just enough time to pull out 2 more maches and get the extra ammo and rocket pod upgrade in the meanwhile from your Airfield and Helipad smile.gif don't have all manchees guard the same spot, else they waste all their rockets on single units. Form a line of 2×3 comanches along the valley - later, when you have more, let's say 3 groups of 3 manches, you can have them at the entrance and just cover the road with their rocket barrages smile.gif

And, you could just try to grab as many of the secrets as possible wink.gif (There are more than 3!)

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 23 Jun 2009, 18:59
Post #25

Group Icon

I don't want to spoil it for others, but i found the ones along the spawn line, the 3 little extras... and am I meant to do anything with the beacon?
I flew over to it, but nothing happened. It keeps getting pointed out on the map :S

Personally i put manches in 2 rows of 2. Either side of the valley. Then get some planes and put them at intervals along the route. I relay mostly on my combat chinook.
Use the big lifter plane to drop some MDs to take out the anti air and garrison the building the the oil derrecks with more MDs

Late game I drop groups of MDs and snipers into the valley and move rocketvees and tanks down to the edges of the base.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 9:59