Reply to this topicStart new topic
Russian Frogfoot bomber overpowered?
Shockwavelover84
post 12 Feb 2012, 15:47
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8901

About 3 of these bombers can wipe out a war factory in one strike, or take away more than half of a super weapon's hit point bar. I know the Aurora isn't in ROTR, but in Shockwave, I don't think that even 3 Aurora bombers were this powerful, plus the Frogfoots seem to have better armor. I admit it's kind of cool to watch them obliterate anything in their path, but it seems a little cheap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 12 Feb 2012, 15:52
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Heavy AA will knock them out of the sky before they can even get close tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 12 Feb 2012, 16:22
Post #3

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Yeah, Chapparell or Twin Fang tear these bad boys up, paired with base defences, it's hard to depp strike the enemy base.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 12 Feb 2012, 16:53
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Firstly Frogfoot is a tier 3 bombard and also is very expensive. It's almost impossible to effectively deploy them before mass production upgrade and even then they remain expensive. Secondly they have no means of surviving AA weaponry aside from their good armour. Like already said - they don't survive a few heavy AA. Throw in a few fighters and they are in even more trouble. Even if three of them manage to take out more than half the HP of a superweapon, it's almost guaranteed that none of them will make it back in one piece.

Comparing them with Aurora doesn't help much either. While Aurora has less punch and armour, it has it's speed, immunity till strike and US countermeasures afterwards. But yeah - having a direct Aurora vs. Frogfoot comparison is one of the things I am really looking forward to in the later releases.

I never exactly managed to get good deep strikes with Frogfoot. Always had to use them to soften things up before charging in with Golem-Tesla.

edit - totally forgot. Frogfoot also requires a gen power. ;p

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 12 Feb 2012, 16:54

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 13 Feb 2012, 12:16
Post #5

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

Member No.: 74
Lurk, cleaned and mounted.

You know you could just put lots of Auroras in WorldBuilder and then do your personal comparisons, or just re-enable it in the CommandSet...

Still, I absolutely don't like to face the Frogfoots. When the AI sends 'em at you, all your heavy AA only kills the first one. The other two then rape the thing you were defending with heavy AA, and might actually kill the heavy AA itself. Rawr.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 13 Feb 2012, 12:38
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Destiny @ 13 Feb 2012, 11:16) *
You know you could just put lots of Auroras in WorldBuilder and then do your personal comparisons, or just re-enable it in the CommandSet...

Still, I absolutely don't like to face the Frogfoots. When the AI sends 'em at you, all your heavy AA only kills the first one. The other two then rape the thing you were defending with heavy AA, and might actually kill the heavy AA itself. Rawr.

I'm pretty sure an avenger or ECM tank can soften ged blow somewhat...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 13 Feb 2012, 13:47
Post #7

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 13 Feb 2012, 19:38) *
I'm pretty sure an avenger or ECM tank can soften ged blow somewhat...

Actually, no. I usually deploy my AA teams as 3 x Avengers, 1 x Chap. The Avengers in front and on the sides of the Chap, behind my static defenses for AA and anti-missile work. Then the Frogfoots come along and kill everything, defenses, Avengers and all.

Picky, they use bombs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 13 Feb 2012, 13:48
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Destiny @ 13 Feb 2012, 12:47) *
Actually, no. I usually deploy my AA teams as 3 x Avengers, 1 x Chap. The Avengers in front and on the sides of the Chap, behind my static defenses for AA and anti-missile work. Then the Frogfoots come along and kill everything, defenses, Avengers and all.

Picky, they use bombs.

I swear they used several missiles and 1 big bomb :S

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 13 Feb 2012, 14:02
Post #9

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

IIRC they use both

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 13 Feb 2012, 14:08
Post #10

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

Frogfoots shoot a bunch of rockets that the PDLs don't really intercept, and a bomb or two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 13 Feb 2012, 14:52
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

If we're talking about frontline defenses, then yeah. From what I remember three Frogfoots can manage to destroy a moderate number of base defenses/clustered ground based AA units. They shower a bunch of rockets along with two bombs. Ofc that would also mean one or two Frogfoots won't survive either.

But again, if I remember correctly, from RotR's air/AA tier settings - Frogfoot should be a tier 3 aircraft and the ideal counter should be tier 3 AA, which are fighters. Dedicated heavy AA probably (like Chaps) counts as tier 2 AA, while Avengers count as tier 1. So yeah maybe they (when in groups) are meant to hold reasonably well against Chaps and Avengers. Again my idea about this whole thing might be dead wrong.

The OP post mentioned Frogfoots taking out war factories or almost destroying superweapons. It's rare for them to manage to do such deep strikes. But yeah they don't have much trouble against frontline defenses... they probably shouldn't considering their requirement, cost and handicap (no AA capability, no countermeasures, moderate speed, nothing fancy like stealth).

+Quote Post
Shockwavelover84
post 13 Feb 2012, 16:28
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 8901

QUOTE (Destiny @ 13 Feb 2012, 12:16) *

They're more or less about the equivalent of General Alexander's Aurora Alpha Bomber in the original Zero Hour (minus the invulnerability), maybe slightly less powerful though. I think a single Aurora Alpha w/o veterancy in original ZH could reduce a War Factory's HP to red, and 3 or 4 could destroy a Command Center or Super Weapon in one strike.

This post has been edited by Shockwavelover84: 14 Feb 2012, 5:20

+Quote Post
Shasokais
post 27 Feb 2012, 15:21
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 8932

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 13 Feb 2012, 8:52) *
If we're talking about frontline defenses, then yeah. From what I remember three Frogfoots can manage to destroy a moderate number of base defenses/clustered ground based AA units. They shower a bunch of rockets along with two bombs. Ofc that would also mean one or two Frogfoots won't survive either.

But again, if I remember correctly, from RotR's air/AA tier settings - Frogfoot should be a tier 3 aircraft and the ideal counter should be tier 3 AA, which are fighters. Dedicated heavy AA probably (like Chaps) counts as tier 2 AA, while Avengers count as tier 1. So yeah maybe they (when in groups) are meant to hold reasonably well against Chaps and Avengers. Again my idea about this whole thing might be dead wrong.

The OP post mentioned Frogfoots taking out war factories or almost destroying superweapons. It's rare for them to manage to do such deep strikes. But yeah they don't have much trouble against frontline defenses... they probably shouldn't considering their requirement, cost and handicap (no AA capability, no countermeasures, moderate speed, nothing fancy like stealth).

Well, i actually preffer using berkuts for deepstrikes. I mean, their evasive maneouvers helps them A LOT after the strike and improves their survivavility.

+Quote Post
ArsenalXA4
post 31 Mar 2012, 4:54
Post #14

The harbinger of bad decisions
Group Icon

Member No.: 9056

I've found the AI uses Frogfoot bombers to, for one reason or other, lash out at a single Firebase located where the AI wants to drive their forces into my base. A single Frogfoot (which is all the AI ever seems to send) only ever manages to kill the soldiers posted in the Firebase and do heavy damage before Chaparrals and Protectors knock them out.

In the countermeasure side I find using a combination of Raptors and Cobras to be a good deterrent. Anything coming right into the base can be handled by Chaparrals and Protectors.

Of course the deterrent only works against the AI...

--------------------

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was Shrapnel!"
-Anonymous

+Quote Post
TheSpudd
post 31 Mar 2012, 7:58
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 9020

Fantastic weapon the old Frogfoot, but like the other comments to many banes and to expensive, to tone down its weaponry would be to kill its purpose. I seem to remember destroying an AGAS Tremor with four Frogfoots? It might of been weakened by my Berkuts first, but I honestly can't remember.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 13:37