Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wiki related questions
Svea Rike
post 4 May 2015, 7:59
Post #576

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

I do believe the Wiki needs to be streamlined. But first, a question: Does SWR productions still consider it a worthy cause? Is the wiki really needed? That's all I am asking and a yes/no is everything I need to know.

But, I think that the Tactics, Counters and Pros/Cons sub-sections should be sub-headings underneath Unit Description. Description says what the unit does and its abilities, Tactics is how to use it effectively, Counters how to... well, counter it effectively and Pros/Cons is self-explanatory. The wiki needs some heavy cleanup.

Also, would it be possible to get a cast list for the voice actors so we can add them to the pages of the units they voiced?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 5 May 2015, 13:19
Post #577

Group Icon

A user called Parallel Universe is moving all the renders from unitbox to gallery and replacing them with the in-game pic. Should it be that way?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 6 May 2015, 9:15
Post #578

Group Icon

I'm considering adding sources to pages, which by all means are pretty much necessary for a wiki. But it got me thinking; maybe we should not add in fan extrapolatins and ascended fanon to the wiki because of cluttering, and simply mention on lore pages what has been mentioned by MARS? I think that makes it more streamlined, so to say, because lore pages that were made up on the spot like the Great Middle Eastern War page don't have any source links.

Or at the very least MARS needs to comment somewhere saying that whatever has been written looks good so we can link it to that. Now I do not know how to link things directly to a post, I know it can be done, but I can just link it to the first post on a topic. So yeah.

I also know that MARS has commented a lot of lore that could be added to the wiki (for example information about the various zones in Africa) but they are buried in topics and I haven't found them yet.

At least that's what I think, but MARS gets to decide. Or any other dev for that matter, he he...

Hmm, not many people have replied... Am I the only one that cares for the wiki anymore?

This post has been edited by Svea Rike: 6 May 2015, 9:21

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 6 May 2015, 10:02
Post #579

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

I'm considering adding sources to pages, which by all means are pretty much necessary for a wiki. But it got me thinking; maybe we should not add in fan extrapolatins and ascended fanon to the wiki because of cluttering, and simply mention on lore pages what has been mentioned by MARS? I think that makes it more streamlined, so to say, because lore pages that were made up on the spot like the Great Middle Eastern War page don't have any source links.

I would be inclined to support this. After thinking about this for a while, I reckon the wiki should be streamlined and only contain the relevant information on gameplay and the -core- plot. Fan-fiction and the in-universe entities spawned from it should not be included in the Wiki, but lore articles based on canon/explaining events in a way that I would consider canon compatible should still be there, mainly to explain the story of the original game, the African theatre, the different power blocs in the world that matter and that's it. Keeps things more orderly and on point than making countless fan-fictions into Wiki articles, which would only result in dense people wondering how they can unlock the Japan 'faction' in-game.

Or at the very least MARS needs to comment somewhere saying that whatever has been written looks good so we can link it to that. Now I do not know how to link things directly to a post, I know it can be done, but I can just link it to the first post on a topic. So yeah.

You can obtain a direct link to a post by clicking on the Post #X part in the top-right corner of every post here on the forums.

I also know that MARS has commented a lot of lore that could be added to the wiki (for example information about the various zones in Africa) but they are buried in topics and I haven't found them yet.

In keeping with the above statement, I would consider this a very low priority objective at this point, if at all.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 6 May 2015, 10:39
Post #580

Group Icon

So for example with the Second Korean War article, we should only mention that it was a small conflict, Kim Jong-un was deposed and that Alexander fought in it and nothing else like troop strength, battles and such? I think that makes the wiki more like other wikis with small yet interesting bits of lore, but nothing too bloated like stuff you'd find on full-on AH timelines.

Plus most people interested in exploring the universe could simply visit these forums and have a chat. Most would visit the wiki simply to access quick info about the game proper.

So a question: the articles on the African Resource Rush and Operation Nemesis, should they be minimized or kept the way they are now because technically they are just my thoughts on it and basically fan-fiction in their own right?

This post has been edited by Svea Rike: 6 May 2015, 10:49

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 6 May 2015, 16:07
Post #581

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

I will give the existing lore pages a detailed read soon enough and comment on what could be improved.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 13 May 2015, 9:07
Post #582

Group Icon

For buildings that are virtually the same per faction (and the Dozers) should we put them all on the same article with different tabs? Like the Outposts or Venom Suits? Makes it easier to link to them, and makes it look better without the Supply Center (FACTION) in the title.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rohan
post 14 May 2015, 17:37
Post #583

The Sun Hero
Group Icon

Member No.: 10041

I joined the wiki (Same Username). Will improve a few articles that I noticed. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 17 May 2015, 1:15
Post #584

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

Does anyone know how do I claim/tag my edits after I made my account? Because I've made a number of revisions/whole write-ups under, which were tagged with my IP.

http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Special...188.112.170.201

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 17 May 2015, 21:25
Post #585

Group Icon

Member No.: 11210

I think on WIKI for each unit must be more information including his INI stats (type of weapon, attack, speed health upgrade e t c). It will be very usefull. FOr that moment I must manually with FinalBig open game archives and search each stat for each unit.

This post has been edited by XAOC-RU-: 17 May 2015, 21:26

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 21 May 2015, 12:10
Post #586

Group Icon

Question: Are a long list of quotes really necessary? We have the notable quotes here and there, but do we need to list every single one of them? Seems a bit unnecessary IMO.

This post has been edited by Svea Rike: 21 May 2015, 12:11

--------------------

+Quote Post
Baneblade
post 21 May 2015, 12:43
Post #587

Group Icon

Member No.: 11230
Good solo player, PvP beginner

QUOTE (XAOC-RU- @ 17 May 2015, 22:25) *
I think on WIKI for each unit must be more information including his INI stats (type of weapon, attack, speed health upgrade e t c). It will be very usefull. FOr that moment I must manually with FinalBig open game archives and search each stat for each unit.

Yes, I completely agree with this. Actually, I play a lot of RTS games and for each one, when I have issues countering some unit or combo I start scanning the net for some reference on units stats allowing me to find the best and more cost-efficient counter. That's why I really want to support all of you guys who try to keep this wiki up to date despite the amount of work it surely represents, knowing that those stats are particularly subject to change with new versions and patches.

Btw, have you ever thought of writing some XSL stuff or parser that would periodically scan the INIs and modify the wiki columns accordingly ? If it was feasible, it would surely simplify your work a lot.

I'm particularly interested in information about cost, build time, tier or tech/GP requirements, speed, transport solts, health, armour type, damage / shots per second, amount of damage done to each type of armor, firing range, AoE, amphibious properties, stealth and stealth detection abilities, sight radius. Some easy to read details about each unit's special abilities would be nice too.

I know most of this information is already available either in-game, in the INI files or in changelogs, but imo it's the most important part of the wiki to make them easily available, unless there is another more specific webpage about this stuff that I have not found yet.

Personally I'm less interested by the lore columns, since I think I found somewere on the ROTR site a lot of inventive and very well designed articles for those who are interested in figuring out the whole story.

I'm just expressing my noob opinion there (actually I've been solo-playing ROTR for some years but only went online very recently), with as main aim to show that people are still interested in this wiki. So feel free to react wheter you agree or not.

--------------------

"They shall come, expecting the obvious, the simple, the artless. They shall stab at the shadows with confused minds and troubled hearts. Meanwhile, we shall appear unseen from ten directions, and from every one strike a fatal blow."

Farseer Caerys - Battle for the Upper Wastes of Kaurava III - 41 st millenium (precise date unknown)

+Quote Post
Hecthor Doomhamm...
post 4 Jun 2015, 14:40
Post #588

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 10281

BTW, I added, for the Fennek, that I voiced it in 1.851 and I would honestly appreciate it, if on my name, it would get a hyperlink to my stream channel (http://www.twitch.tv/pauljongejans)

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 4 Sep 2015, 11:24
Post #589

Group Icon

Okay I kind of want each lore section for the five factions to be similar, with different paragraphs that aren't too long/detailed and simply describes the faction's recent history. The US and GLA backstories are right now way too long and detailed compared to the other factions. I think I have to rewrite them although I don't know who wrote them. Would it be okay if I just rewrote them without the original author's permission? Or am I overstepping my boundaries as writer here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 4 Sep 2015, 11:31
Post #590

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 4 Sep 2015, 11:24) *
Or am I overstepping my boundaries as writer here?

I'm pretty sure as a dev you have the authority to call the shots now.

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 4 Sep 2015, 11:35
Post #591

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Please Please Please clean up the US wiki...Its a shamefull disgrace to the ZH USA.Back then The US was a bunch of Mary Sue Boyscouts that barely did anything wrong...Yet as this is the internet people love to add their political hatred related to RL stuff into stuff like this.

-Implies the US fought GLA for oil
-Has cold fusion technology.
^Stuff like this pisses me off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 4 Sep 2015, 14:10
Post #592

Group Icon

Alright. I'll clean up the US and GLA backstories.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 7 Sep 2015, 14:00
Post #593

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 4 Sep 2015, 15:10) *
Alright. I'll clean up the US and GLA backstories.

Thankyou. This has been long overdue smile.gif

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 12 Oct 2015, 0:12
Post #594

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

Regarding the Faction tactics I wrote a long time ago, I kind of want to update them as well, should I use the wiki as a means or should I post the new threads here on the forums?

This post has been edited by Mizo: 12 Oct 2015, 1:47

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 12 Oct 2015, 6:28
Post #595

Group Icon

Might as well update them directly on the wiki.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 19 Oct 2015, 19:46
Post #596

Group Icon

Okay, someone just added a page for the Grizzly before it was even revealed. Should we do this? We're basically spoiling it for those that don't play the public test versions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
M01
post 19 Oct 2015, 22:40
Post #597

Group Icon

Member No.: 10658
Yo buddy... Still Alive?

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 20 Oct 2015, 2:46) *
Okay, someone just added a page for the Grizzly before it was even revealed. Should we do this? We're basically spoiling it for those that don't play the public test versions.

Somebody has been doing that even before 1.85 was released I think it's fine as long as the official lore that comes with it is legit other info like unit abilities should only be updated after the release of 1.86 (in grizzly's case)

+Quote Post
Damfoos
post 20 Oct 2015, 11:27
Post #598

"Ha! I could do this with my eyes closed!"
Group Icon

Member No.: 10686
Russian translator

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 19 Oct 2015, 22:46) *

Its not my affair, but instead of deleting the pages about already revealed units (1.86 is open for everyone after all, rules of OBT says people can get the download link from forum users) I'd rather took care about already existing pages. Look at the Igla Trooper for example, it is completely obsolete. And there are a lot of pages that require refreshing, because the information they provide is actual to 1.802, not even to 1.85.

About spoiling - what's wrong here? The more people know about ROTR - the more people play it, and also play test builds, what is appreciated.

This post has been edited by Damfoos: 20 Oct 2015, 11:38

--------------------

ROTR 1.86 RUS | ShockWave 1.2 RUS | Operation:Firestorm RUS
ROTR VK Fan Group => ROTR.VK <= Группа ROTR ВКонтакте

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 21 Oct 2015, 12:22
Post #599

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/ECA_GP_Unlocks

Complain here with the Table, The yellow highlight and the white font don't really go well together and is actually very straining on the eyes.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Planardweller
post 21 Oct 2015, 13:07
Post #600

Group Icon

Member No.: 9425

QUOTE (Mizo @ 21 Oct 2015, 14:22) *
http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/ECA_GP_Unlocks

Complain here with the Table, The yellow highlight and the white font don't really go well together and is actually very straining on the eyes.

Please use blue (as it would be a good use of faction colours) or other contrasting colour against yellow highlight.

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 14:34