Closed TopicStart new topic
Paladin design ... not so advanced :)
Anubis
post 10 Jun 2009, 17:56
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 97

Before i begin this is not a suggestion, but more like a personal opinion ( and as i've seen on moddb i'm one of the many with this opinion smile.gif ). The new paladin design is good, in fact it's great, but for a shockwave. Makes it look vastly superior to the crusader wich is a good thing. For RotR it looks terribly outdated compaired to the new crusader. As far as i know, the paladin is suppose to be the high tech tank, and imo right now it lacks the design for it. While it may have PDL and stronger armor, it looks really outdated near a crusader, and in games ( wich depands alot on visuals ) if something is better then another thing it should also look that way. In my opinion the current paladin should really gain an mk2 design ( if the crusader and sentinel got it, and i'm sure the ovie will get a better model as well ), so it looks like the usa advanced battletank, and not some remnant of the old wars. I would assume that if the crusader program went further with the design and functionality, so did the paladin program.
Ohhh ... and before i finish my opinion ... here is a little sketch i did tongue.gif ( again a personal opinion of how an mk2 design could look like smile.gif ). Consider it as a fan art thing smile.gif :

Attached File  New_Paladin.JPG ( 282.35K ) Number of downloads: 197

Anubis out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 10 Jun 2009, 18:01
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 70
Paladin of Steel

Awesome drawing ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SGM. Jazzie Spur...
post 10 Jun 2009, 18:06
Post #3

I like turtles.
Group Icon

Member No.: 33
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room! ▀▀▀█ ▀▀▀█

In my opinion, I love this Palading desing. Please, add it! tongue.gif

--------------------

Propiety of the Europe Continental Army. Do not capture, interrogate or torture.

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 10 Jun 2009, 19:30
Post #4

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

I dunno, I find the current Paladin to be fine. It can be argued that the Paladin was designed far later than the previous crusader and so it doesn't yet warrant a replacement in the ROTR timeline.

+Quote Post
Lucid
post 10 Jun 2009, 19:33
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 103
Shoopus mah Whoopus

while i think that is an awesome drawing, it sounds a little too much like a suggestion.

This post has been edited by Viper: 10 Jun 2009, 19:34

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 10 Jun 2009, 19:33
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

The paladin is actualy not more modern as the crusader just a hell of alot sturdier tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 10 Jun 2009, 19:36
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

The US are kind of a mix between new high-tech stuff and tried-and-true equipment from the past. The Crusader may be newer and more sophisticated
but the Paladin already brought the US through the GLA war. Just like the B52 or the Humvee, it's a bit older than the other stuff but it gets the job DONE.

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 10 Jun 2009, 19:47
Post #8

Group Icon

True, but compaired to the new crusader design, the paladin fades smile.gif . After all it is a general point unit, so it should look better then the main line tank. And again, if since the gla war the crusader program evolved, why wouldn't the paladin do as well. To me it makes alot more sense, to improve the advanced tank as well, rather than just bring the old one to the same tech level as the advanced one.

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 10 Jun 2009, 20:14
Post #9

Group Icon

Well no offense but your paladin design looks like a upgraded Grizzly from RA2 which doesn't look american from it's design at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JJ
post 10 Jun 2009, 20:20
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 65

I think it's just that the measurements are out and the shape doesn't look like a Paladin anymore, but ignoring that, I really can't see much difference except for the optic devices.

Oh nevermind, I was reading it wrongly. >.>

This post has been edited by JJ: 10 Jun 2009, 20:22

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 10 Jun 2009, 20:39
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 10 Jun 2009, 19:14) *
Well no offense but your paladin design looks like a upgraded Grizzly from RA2 which doesn't look american from it's design at all.

None taken. My design is verry little based on the paladin ( only the middle section and the treads cover thing ). The rest is based on a stealth tech looking tank ( the angular design used by the f117 ). It's not supposed to look like the paladin ( as the crusader mk2 is not looking like the mk1 either ). As for grizzly ... i really can't see the resemblence but that is not a problem. I didn't make this design so that it would be used. I made it as an alternative. The whole point is that the current pali looks outdated. I could have made this post without that sketch, but i sipmply like to draw tongue.gif . As for the merican looking thing - well imo if you scrap alot of skins from many usa vehicles they will no longer look american. The texture in most cases is what makes it american. But again, this topic is about the opinion that the paladin simply looks outdated ( not about using that design as a new paladin ).

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 10 Jun 2009, 20:47
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

It looks pretty cool...reminds me of the Merkava IV. But the Paladin was supposed to be very new during Generals (the in game reason for it needing a Generals point) so I see the reason not to completely overhaul its appearance.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Jester
post 10 Jun 2009, 21:02
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

I think it looks sweet and it looks good because it looks more advanced than the new crusader which it what it needs to be really i like it and i think the team should re design the paladin make it bigger and a heavier gun and made to look more advanced something that can match the sentinal manticore overlords etc etc.

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 10 Jun 2009, 21:21
Post #14

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

QUOTE (Jester @ 10 Jun 2009, 19:02) *
I think it looks sweet and it looks good because it looks more advanced than the new crusader which it what it needs to be really i like it and i think the team should re design the paladin make it bigger and a heavier gun and made to look more advanced something that can match the sentinal manticore overlords etc etc.

That is not the point of the Paladin. It isn't a multi-tasking super heavy tank like the overlord or sentinel. It is used as a spearhead for tank divisions of the US and provides that extra punch especially versus missile based defenses and infantry.

+Quote Post
Erik
post 10 Jun 2009, 22:35
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 26
Projects: ShockWave Tester
Mindfuck of the month: Casimir effect

Awesome drawing as usual.

--------------------

And you feel a sudden chill
How do you do? My name is Trouble
I'm coming for the kill...
And you know I will

+Quote Post
ka1000
post 10 Jun 2009, 23:02
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 61
heehoohaa

why aren't you using your artliner nubis smile.gif

edit: ah well, why not.

This post has been edited by ka1000: 10 Jun 2009, 23:13

--------------------
P

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 10 Jun 2009, 23:50
Post #17

Group Icon

That's a really cool sketch Camile. The treads are to short imo, and the turret legths is not enough, but it's awsome non the less. I'm not using the liner cause my stupic scanner has developed an alergic reaction to it. I made 3 sketches of thispaladin with it, and non got the aproval of the scanner tongue.gif . Hey, maybe we can trnsform this topic into a paladin design topic tongue.gif . Some sort of fan based contest. Anyone who has a good ideea about a new design can just post it here smile.gif .

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 11 Jun 2009, 0:55
Post #18

Group Icon

The gun looks as long as the tank itself! wacko.gif

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

+Quote Post
Gen.Kenobi
post 11 Jun 2009, 2:22
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 77

Nice design!

--------------------
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 11 Jun 2009, 3:30
Post #20

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (ka1000 @ 10 Jun 2009, 21:02) *
why aren't you using your artliner nubis smile.gif

edit: ah well, why not.

*pic*

That looks more like artillery than MBT duh_worm.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 11 Jun 2009, 8:09
Post #21

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Rayburn @ 10 Jun 2009, 10:36) *
The US are kind of a mix between new high-tech stuff and tried-and-true equipment from the past. The Crusader may be newer and more sophisticated
but the Paladin already brought the US through the GLA war. Just like the B52 or the Humvee, it's a bit older than the other stuff but it gets the job DONE.

While your drawing is great Anubis this post by Ray states our exact reason as to why we made the Paladin what is is now as our design choice.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Jester
post 12 Jun 2009, 22:28
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

QUOTE (Beef @ 10 Jun 2009, 18:21) *
That is not the point of the Paladin. It isn't a multi-tasking super heavy tank like the overlord or sentinel. It is used as a spearhead for tank divisions of the US and provides that extra punch especially versus missile based defenses and infantry.

How am i supposed to spearhead my tank assault when the crusader can hover over almost any terrain were as the paladin has to go around??.

This post has been edited by Jester: 12 Jun 2009, 22:29

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 12 Jun 2009, 23:01
Post #23

Group Icon

Couse the crusader is more vunerble in hover mode and the paladin is sturdy as hell ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vet91
post 13 Jun 2009, 2:55
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 86

Since the Germans appear to be the armor arm of the EF how about a Lion tank? Get it? The panther, Tiger, Leopard, and now the Lion. Sounds cool, huh? wacko.gif I'm a Desert Storm vet and I was involved in a huge tank battle so this is the aspect of the game that gets my blood flowing.

This post has been edited by Vet91: 13 Jun 2009, 2:57

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 13 Jun 2009, 2:59
Post #25

Group Icon

The ECA main battle tank is going to be another iteration of the Leopard series:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 23:04