Reply to this topicStart new topic
There are 6 kinds of people posting mod suggestions, A semi-serious observation
MARS
post 5 Jul 2009, 11:58
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

After all the years I've followed SWR mods, I have ascertained that there are exactly 6 distinct
types of people who post suggestions for Shockwave, RotR or strategy game mods in general.

Type A: The Oblivious wacko.gif
The Oblivious often tends to forget about (read: ignore) the rules of a suggestions forum. As a result, he will suggest things that are officially outlawed by these rules such as Abrams tanks and Apache helicopters. His motivation for this is unclear. Apparently, the Oblivious firmly believes that he's actually the FIRST person who ever suggests these two exemplarily 'unique' vehicles despite the fact that everyone else and their dog have already added them to their personal mods. Why is there no Abrams in ShW? The sensible mind would answer: "Because everyone ELSE has it!" The Oblivious on the other hand would probably reply: "Because no-one thought of suggesting it yet?"

Type B: The Realistic 8llaniflip.gif
The Realistic spends most of his time on globalsecurity.org which is why he can name every military vehicle and accessory along with its technical specifications by heart. Whenever he shows up in a suggestions forum, his posts will usually look like this: "Faction A MUST have weapon B because in real life, country C would most definitely use weapon B instead of weapon D around the time this is set. Also, Faction A's weapon B would have to be much more powerful than Faction E's weapon F, because in real life, weapon B of country C's military is much more sophisticated than whatever the hell country G's underfunded and underdeveloped military could possibly come up with. Also, tanks should be MUCH more effective against infantry because it's realistic and I don't want the game to be too enjoyab...err...I mean unrealistic bla de bla de bla de bla..."

Type C: The Zealous 8chi.png
In real life, the Zealous is a blazing patriot. His country is the most awesome country EVAR...because he says so...and because their military kicks arse...according to 'reputable' sources which are totally NOT faked by the country's propaganda machinery. As a consequence, the Zealous will usually kick in the door of a suggestions forum with this: "I think faction X - which incidentally happens to be MY home country which I love SO dearly *recites half the national anthem* - should have a more powerful air force and by that, I mean THE most powerful air force. After all, faction X is the best, most powerful, amazing country on Earth because our military is totally invincible. Also, faction Y should be much weaker cuz they're just terrorists and evil". When confronted with disagreement, the Zealous may or may not explode violently, so beware.

Type D: The Insane serious.gif
"How about cyborg samurai dragons with lightsabres and automatic nuke machine guns for China? After all, samurais are Chinese, aren't they?"

Type E: The Redundant 8I.gif 8I.gif 8I.gif
"Hey, I found these vehicles on Google. Add them to your mod. Sure, they all LOOK the same, their technical differences are absolutely minimal and they basically do the same thing because I'm too lazy to think of a proper way to make them unique in-game......but DO add them nonetheless! *insert links to 27 Wikipedia entries about identical-looking Soviet APCs ranging from 1945 till 1990*

Type F: The Useful I8pink.png
The one guy out of one hundred who actually has a good idea...

...which, unfortunately, cannot be implemented due to SAGE limitations.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommanderJB
post 5 Jul 2009, 12:36
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 15
Projects: ROTR Dev Team

QUOTE (Rayburn @ 5 Jul 2009, 17:58) *
Type B: The Realistic 8llaniflip.gif
The Realistic spends most of his time on globalsecurity.org which is why he can name every military vehicle and accessory along with its technical specifications by heart. Whenever he shows up in a suggestions forum, his posts will usually look like this: "Faction A MUST have weapon B because in real life, country C would most definitely use weapon B instead of weapon D around the time this is set. Also, Faction A's weapon B would have to be much more powerful than Faction E's weapon F, because in real life, weapon B of country C's military is much more sophisticated than whatever the hell country G's underfunded and underdeveloped military could possibly come up with. Also, tanks should be MUCH more effective against infantry because it's realistic and I don't want the game to be too enjoyab...err...I mean unrealistic bla de bla de bla de bla..."
*Shuffles uncomfortably in chair*

Awesome list here Rayburn - far too much truth as well! Let me also add that from my experience Type A is by far the most prevalent. Also, I definitely chuckled at Type F!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 5 Jul 2009, 13:11
Post #3

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

Brill.
Good stuff, mate.
aw.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 5 Jul 2009, 13:17
Post #4

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19
Projects: ShockWave Tester
In birro veritas.

Heh, that is so true it made me lol XD.gif . Also, I read between some lines there :read: .

EDIT: they don't have the read smiley here? shit.gif

This post has been edited by Chyros: 5 Jul 2009, 13:17

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 5 Jul 2009, 14:28
Post #5

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

This is possibly the most indisputably accurate, most genuinely and hilarious categorization of CnC Mod fan Suggesters ever created, period.

Utter and complete win.

Under the following criteria I, in presentation of many others award you with the following prize:

You've earned it 8I.gif

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 5 Jul 2009, 14:36
Post #6

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

i also observe these stuff on FS and here

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 5 Jul 2009, 14:50
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

How true all of this is laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rayburn @ 5 Jul 2009, 9:58) *
Type F: The Useful I8pink.png
The one guy out of one hundred who actually has a good idea...

...which, unfortunately, cannot be implemented due to SAGE limitations.

This is my favorite I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prophet of the P...
post 5 Jul 2009, 15:14
Post #8

Don't Piss him off.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12
Projects: SWR Tester
Hookah Addict

Thats my fav too. So many times i was like "fuck yhea this sounds awesome" only to have my face planted a 1000ft below earth by stupid sage limitation.

--------------------
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 5 Jul 2009, 15:20
Post #9

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Interesting read, when I went through B, I instantly though about CommanderJB (question is: why?^^). Well written indeed. Hopefully, there will be more F-types in an uncertain future when there will be one time under a lucky star the suggestion forums reopened.

+Quote Post
Thez
post 5 Jul 2009, 15:26
Post #10

Not more Demotraps!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7
Demotrap Layer

Awesome read I8.gif

--------------------

Proud producer of the forum family

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 5 Jul 2009, 16:11
Post #11

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

This is epic! biggrin.gif
Type F really tickled me too tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 5 Jul 2009, 16:47
Post #12

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

Member No.: 74
Lurk, cleaned and mounted.

Type F's the best of all. SAGE is why we can't have good things. 8Ip.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 5 Jul 2009, 16:53
Post #13

Frontline Chaos mod leader and creator
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 25
Projects: ROTR Tester
Host of

This man deserves even 2 internets for this epic thread I8.gif 8I.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Papaya Master Ra...
post 7 Jul 2009, 8:21
Post #14

Forum Volcanologist
Group Icon

Member No.: 57
Volcano Researcher

The "F" made me laugh. laugh.gif

And also there was this one guy who successfully got his suggestion accepted in RotR by the way.
Hint: The one that suggested the FOAB. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 7 Jul 2009, 9:47
Post #15

Group Icon

That was not a accepted suggestion it was planned all along.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thorazine
post 7 Jul 2009, 10:26
Post #16

Numb
Group Icon

Member No.: 45
Nuts.

QUOTE (KamuiK @ 5 Jul 2009, 7:20) *
Hopefully, there will be more F-types in an uncertain future when there will be one time under a lucky star the suggestion forums reopened.

That would be like... Never?

Good job putting that list together. Though I wonder, maybe there should be a type "R" for major sticklers of balance?
Time to go... Relax... or something...

--------------------

This is my signature. If you like it, good. If you don't, I don't care.
"The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy" -Jim Rohn
Final Fantasy VII - Voices of the Lifestream

+Quote Post
Shock
post 7 Jul 2009, 11:25
Post #17

Forum Green
Group Icon

Member No.: 17

Reminds me of the ''types of online Zero Hour noobs'' list on Gamereplays.org. I8.gif It's hilarious to have lists like this biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 7 Jul 2009, 12:39
Post #18

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Thorazine @ 7 Jul 2009, 1:26) *
That would be like... Never?

Good job putting that list together. Though I wonder, maybe there should be a type "R" for major sticklers of balance?
[...]

XD.gif

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
katmoda12
post 8 Jul 2009, 12:12
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 64

The type i like most is the C.

And with can have a good example here, particularly the last terrorizing phrase:

Citation:"Anyway,the China's army is a modernize army,this army can bear down all country's army.
I hope SWR team can modification the China in the RISE OF THE RED and SHOCKWAVE mods.China is a modernize country.Maybe in thirty years later,the China will be a big and powerful country,overrun the US"

Anyway Stinger treat the threat with typical english politeness, and prevented the bomb to explode. av-7.gif

I mean no offence with this post.

+Quote Post
wb21
post 9 Jul 2009, 5:45
Post #20

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Re: Type F ani8b.gif

Remember, think twice when you say, "Imagination [and skills] is the modder's limit". Be sure to know what the game and/or its engine can do, and equally importantly, CANNOT.

As for Type E, imagine filling the War Factory commandset with BTR-3, -4, -40, -50, -60, -70, -80, -90, -152, & -T; BMP-1, -2, & -3; BMD-1, -2 , &-3; BRDM-1, & -2; T-34/85, -54, -62, -64, -72, -80, & -90; MT-LB; 2S1, -3, -4, -5, -7, -9, -19, -25, & -31; PT-76; ZSU-23-4, -57-2; Tunguska-M1; FROG-7; SS-1, -20, -21, -25, & -27; SA-3, -4, -6, -8, -9, -10, -11, & -21, BM-9, -13, -14, -21, -25, -27, & -30; & TOS-1; and the Airfield with MiG-21, -23, -25, -27, -29, -35, & 1.44; Su-15, -20, -24, -25, -27, -30, -33, -34, -35, -37 (I mentioned 6 Flanker derivatives), -39, & -47, Tu-16, -22, -22M, -95, & -160; Mi-2, -4, -6, -8, -10, -14, -17, -24, -26, -28, & -34; & Ka-25, -26, -27, -32, -50, -52, & -60. And if the Redundant says that all vehicles he mentioned isn't going to fit the commandset, MAKE EXTRA FACTORIES!!! (i.e, making light, medium, heavy, and super factories).

For Type D, see NergiZed's article, "A suggestion for SW (CLOSED)".

Wwwwwicked siiiiick!! 8Ip.png

This post has been edited by D' WRTHBRNGR: 28 Jul 2009, 8:09

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 29 Jul 2009, 12:16
Post #21

Group Icon

Was going to post this in the C&C4 thread but i thought this place was more appropriate tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rayburn @ 29 Jul 2009, 8:11) *
Also, we have one brilliant example of a Type B Suggestions Poster down in the comments (#2)

Oh hell yea just qouting that one for kicks.

Behold:

C&C 4 might not be a complete faliure...... Oh, and glad that Gamespy is out of the picture. 5vs5!! No navy? Does Nod have nukes? Are there still civilian buildings or is earth a desolate wasteland? I HAVE QUESTIONS, EA! Oh, and while you are at it, why don't you make a realistic RTS regarding the current condition of the world, and what could happen? Such as: EU/USA declaring war on Russia, the Russians or USA allying with China, NK starting a war with SK, Russia attacking the US, China attacking the US, since you know how crazy Putin, and Kim Jong-il are! Let's have the AI taunt you during the battle, and have some long campaigns, where you can ally with other countries, and the way the battle goes decides the fate of your campaign! Oh, and please make it the most realistic you can, since there is no way that a battlemaster can't ram through walls of buildings, and scuds have a very long range, and thermite is effective against tanks, not napalm! How can a Ka-29TB Helix carry a tank, and it's not even used by the Chinese! Why is there a Crusader, rather than an M1A2? A tomahawk is a ALCM, not a ground-based mobile cruise missile launcher! A Avenger uses stingers, not lasers! A M61 Vulcan gattling cannon rips aircraft, infantry, and tanks to shreds!! It takes one tank shell to kill infantry, and one rocket to blow infantry!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wi-Ta
post 29 Jul 2009, 12:22
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 8
Old sneaky german

Oh, and please make it the most realistic you can

--------------------
QUOTE (NergiZed @ 5 Dec 2010, 18:51) *
Just add some green particle effects and it'll be like X-mas~!

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 20 Oct 2009, 14:17) *
The ECM effects have a nasty side effect that it makes pilots drunk :P

+Quote Post
Vidar
post 29 Jul 2009, 12:25
Post #23

I AM ESCALATION!
Group Icon

Group: Badass
Member No.: 9

Somehow i feel "F" as kind of familiar I8.gif

This post has been edited by Vidar: 29 Jul 2009, 12:25

--------------------
Stinger says:
"You are the Chuck Norris figure of our forums, you know."

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 29 Jul 2009, 12:25
Post #24

Group Icon

I specialy like how he over reacts about everything and how he seems to think Putin is still the President of the Russian federation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Jul 2009, 12:29
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Weeeeeell, we can argue over Russian democracy and Good Old Vlad' all day, but as it stands, there's simply no REASON for them to
declare a friggin' world war on us. I love how some people like this guy like to assume that people still start wars just for the heck of it.

Like, you know, he's a creepy dude; if HE gets out of the wrong side of bed, it's WW-fucking-3!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 9:02