Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Aviation Monthly
Cobretti
post 13 Jan 2014, 4:32
Post #201

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

Hey guys, this is the first installment on a magazine style review of the weapons and technology used in the ROTR world. I'll be doing most of the US aircraft first, I do plan on moving on to other faction's aircraft later on and perhaps expanding to ground vehicles, firearms, and warships. (Ever wanted to learn more about the Spirit of Freedom and it's sister ship?) Here's the first part:

Aviation Monthly: September 203x
United States Airpower, Part I
- Written by Amy Kelly
As tensions rise in Eurasia over the recent skirmishes in Africa and economic stagnation in Russia, so too has the specter of another major war in Europe and the eventual American involvement. Despite the downfall of NATO after the ill-advised US retreat from Europe 15 years ago, the Bradford administration maintains a strong anti-Russian expansionist policy and indications hint at possible military and economic action in favor of the European Continental Alliance should hostilities break out.

Ever since the Second World War, the United States military has relied extensively on air dominance to achieve battlefield superiority. As any member of the USAF or Naval Air Force can tell you, no US soldier or Marine on the ground has been killed by enemy aircraft since the Korean War. Even after the post GWOT cutbacks, the US military has maintained a strong Air Force and naval air capabilities, and seeks to further expand said capabilities in an ever more dangerous world. This article seeks to explore information about the aircraft used today by the various branches of the US armed forces.

TRANSPORT/AIRLIFT:
Though the majority of heavy airlifting by the USAF is done today by conventional aircraft such as the C-130J Super Hercules and C-17B Globemaster III, VTOL aircraft have become a more and more capable replacement for helicopters and light cargo transport.

Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey: Although the V-22 Osprey had a troubled development phase, today it serves as the main medium lift aircraft used by the US Marine Corps, Air Force, and Navy. Even though newer designs such as the V-25 Goshawk are planned to eventually phase out the Osprey, it still sees heavy use as a transport aircraft by American combat forces and will see heavy use in the foreseeable future.

Bell-Boeing V-25 Goshawk: The V-25 Goshawk is one of the newest aircraft used by the US Armed forces, and is the end result of the JMR-Heavy Future Vertical Lift program. By the end of the last decade, the US Army desired a new VTOL transport to replace the aging CH-47 Chinook fleet, which had been wearing out through heavy use in the past two decades. Although the Army had declined to take part in the V-22 program, they looked with interest in the further development of tiltrotor aircraft. The V-25 Goshawk was the intermediate step between the light V-22 Osprey and the heavy V-34 Starlifter II. Compared to the CH-47 Chinook, the V-25 is capable of carrying more cargo faster, longer, and at a higher altitude. As an infantry carrier, it can transport a platoon of infantry or a single Cougar MRAP or HMMWV. In contrast to the Osprey, the Goshawk is a semi-tilt-wing with 250% more wing surface, roughly 60% of which tilts along with the engine nacelles, and a lifting body, significantly improving glide capability and allowing to remove the fancy - and heavy - transmission, converting the engines to straight-up carbon composite turbine turboprops with only standard reduction gearboxes remaining. Today, the US Army and US Navy are the main users of the V-25 Goshawk whilst the USMC and US Air Force are considering purchasing them to replace their aging Ospreys.

Bell-Boeing V-34 Starlifter II: The first examples of the V-44 entered the late prototype testing phase during the end of the GLA War, but budget cutbacks slowed its entry into service until quite recently. By the end of the last decade, the US Army desired a new VTOL transport to replace the aging CH-47 Chinook fleet, which had been wearing out through heavy use in the past two decades. Although the Army had declined to take part in the V-22 program, they looked with interest in the further development of tiltrotor aircraft. As the end result of the Bell-Boeing Quad Tilt Rotor program, the V-34 is the direct replacement of the CH-47 Chinook and the CH-53 Super Stallion, and is planned to phase out the C-130J Super Hercules. The quad tilt rotor engines give it a cruising speed of over 350 knots and allow it to land in places the C-130 cannot. It is capable of carrying around 26,000 kilograms of cargo (or several M5A1 Schwarzkopf ”Crusader” light tanks or IFVs), or 110 paratroopers/150 infantry.

Lockheed-Martin C-130J Super Hercules, Boeing C-17B Globemaster III, & Lockheed C-5M Super Galaxy: When heavier lifting is required by the US military’s expeditionary forces, the fixed wing airfleet comes into play. Though the C-130J Super Hercules and C-5M Super Galaxy are old (yet proven and popular) designs, the more advanced Boeing C-17B Globemaster III is an increasingly common sight in the US Air Force as well as the air forces of other nations. The C-17 underwent a mid-life upgrade even before the newer export production run, including double-slotted flaps, an additional main landing gear on center fuselage, more powerful engines (F-117-PW-200 turbofans) and other systems for shorter landing and take-off distances, a LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13 pod and passive radar installed into the nose, and an optional bulkhead separating the troop bay from the cargo bay for passenger comfort.

~~~

I hope you enjoyed the first part, stay tuned for Part 2!

This post has been edited by DerKrieger: 29 May 2014, 15:52

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DerKrieger   Aviation Monthly   13 Jan 2014, 4:32
- - RikerZZZ   Awesome dude Can't wait for the next   19 Aug 2015, 4:41
- - Svea Rike   I have linked several sources to various posts her...   3 Sep 2015, 12:30
- - DerKrieger   Sure, in fact it's appreciated!   3 Sep 2015, 16:32
- - Svea Rike   Yo Krieger, ever figuring about writing something ...   10 Oct 2015, 16:43
- - DerKrieger   Yeah, sure, I plan on doing so in the future, at l...   10 Oct 2015, 21:18
- - DerKrieger   It's been a while so I figured I'd let y...   30 Jan 2016, 1:48
- - Svea Rike   ^I like it, although Townes' first name is can...   30 Jan 2016, 12:09
- - DerKrieger   Thanks for the correction! I hope I can get th...   31 Jan 2016, 18:59
- - DerKrieger   Taking a short break from the USA campaign write u...   3 May 2016, 0:16
|- - {Lads}RikerZZZ   QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 3 May 2016, 0:16) Tak...   4 May 2016, 3:34
- - DerKrieger   And finally, here's the US campaign overview f...   9 May 2016, 19:30
- - MARS   Another excellent fic that adds context and authen...   10 May 2016, 7:19
- - DerKrieger   Thanks, I decided to play through the ProGen versi...   10 May 2016, 14:41
- - {Lads}RikerZZZ   This is fantastic work Kreiger Is this gonna go o...   11 May 2016, 1:18
- - DerKrieger   Thanks! I'm not sure at this time if it...   11 May 2016, 2:03
|- - {Lads}RikerZZZ   QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 11 May 2016, 3:03) Th...   11 May 2016, 6:05
- - DerKrieger   I believe the wiki's still being updated so I ...   12 May 2016, 14:25
- - GDSpathe   You know in my humble opinion now that the Devs ha...   5 Jan 2017, 1:05
- - DerKrieger   Maybe, perhaps due to the fact that I'm co-wri...   13 Jan 2017, 22:21
- - Rohan   Can there be an index in the first post ?   14 Jan 2017, 11:33
- - DerKrieger   I'll likely have to do something around those ...   17 Jan 2017, 1:48
- - Rohan   QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 17 Jan 2017, 6:18) I...   17 Jan 2017, 17:02
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 May 2024 - 4:12