Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Central Europe,
March 2049

"Good morning. This is General Willem van der Meer, acting supreme commander of the European Continental Army, calling all citizens and soldiers of Europe. In less than an hour, the combined armies of the ECA and the American expeditionary forces will embark on what may very well go down in history as the single largest engagement of this entire war: As part of Operation Charlemagne, our forces in western Germany and Austria will go on the offensive along a frontline that measures over a thousand kilometres. The primary objective is to liberate Berlin by the middle of April. To that end, we are going in with absolutely everything we've got: The remnants of the French and German armies will spearhead the assault through the south while the Dutch and Belgian contingents will do battle alongside the British, the Irish, the Americans and the Canadians in the northern plain. New experimental weapon systems have been made available and I have assigned all of our remaining ECA battlegroups to this decisive battle. Time is of the essence as we cannot allow the Russian armies to fortify their positions and drive us back once they mobilise the full extent of their reserves, or worse, their strategic nuclear arsenal."

"Our nations have sacrificed much to regain the upper hand in this war: Remember the valiant armies of Finland and Poland who were the first to meet the invaders and kept up their fierce resistance even to this day. Remember the brave mountain troops of Austria and Italy who fought to the last man and bullet in order to keep the evacuation routes to the Alpine redoubt clear for civilian refugees. Remember the Commonwealth armies who defied the invasion of England, then took the fight across the Channel and to the enemy. The people of France have arguably paid the highest price of all by detonating nuclear weapons on their own soil in a desperate move that, thankfully, stopped the Russian advance and allowed our forces to seize the initiative. All of these events and many more have culminated in this critical moment and the battle that is now about to erupt in the very heart of central Europe will determine whether peace and order will return to our continent or whether our sacrifices were in vain. Future generations will either remember this as the day our common civilisation burned out in a last blaze of glory - or as the day when all of Europe, from the northern fjords to the southern sea, emerged victorious from the first war in which we all stood united."

"Operation Charlemagne is imminent. This goes out to the soldiers of Europe: Fight on, but do not let your humanity be consumed by bloody vengeance, for that will make the difference between whether this war will end in a lasting peace, a temporary armistice or the end of the world as we know it. This goes out to our citizens in the occupied territories: Do not despair, your liberation is at hand. Stay vigilant and look after your families, but please, do not risk your lives with any foolhardy heroics at this time, for those who can help us in this struggle have already made their choice long ago. But my final word goes out to any Russian servicemen and -women that might be hearing this: We are human beings, just like you. We want this war to end and return to our loved ones just as much as you do and it is within your power to make that a reality: Do not throw your lives away just because General Aleksandr orders it! Don't give yourselves to him and his murderous brutes, these machine-men with machine-minds and machine-hearts who look down upon you, who despise you, who treat you as cannon fodder - they are unworthy of your sacrifice! Don't fight for their hatred and their insanity! You are human beings - you do not hate and you're not insane! Fight against them for your freedom, for the future of your children! Believe me when I say that Aleksandr would like to goose-step them into the meat grinder as well but as long as your President is unable to stop him, it is up to you to put an end to this war here and now! Liberate yourselves from this monster of a man who expects you to suffer, to kill and to die for him! Soldiers of the Russian Federation, let us liberate Berlin together!"

Whilst the United States make extensive use of lasers as point defense and anti-aircraft weapons, the nations of Europe have concentrated their research efforts on the civilian utilities of the technology. One of their most promising discoveries was the possibility of using special frequency lasers to slow the motion of atoms to a near standstill, resulting in a focused freezing effect. Ideally, the technology could be used as a more eco-friendly alternative to bulky cooling machinery and aggressive chemicals. A team of Scandinavian scientists even explored the idea of using this remarkable technology to revert the effects of global warming by restoring the Arctic ice. Unfortunately, these so-called 'cryo lasers' also presented a considerable destructive potential which was exploited during the final phase of the Russo-European War: Named after a monstrous wolf from Norse mythology, the Fenris is an elaborate modification of a conventional Lynx APC which has been outfitted with a freezing laser that proved extremely lethal against enemy infantry and even vehicles which not only take damage but also end up immobilised due to deformed machinery and severly reduced crew performance after prolonged cooling. The Fenris can also fire a high energy shot which freezes the vehicle to the point where parts of its armour become so brittle that even its own idle engine vibrations or weapon recoil are enough to shatter it open, thus directly exposing the crew to the freezing ray, killing them instantly and leaving the vehicle empty for recovery. Unlike the dreaded Pandora cannon, the Fenris can be deployed in numbers upon choosing the eponymous protocol, but commanders are advised to treat their expensive and fragile technology with utmost care.

The ECA has set itself a policy of restricting the use of unmanned vehicles to a bare minimum, arguing that the large-scale use of such weapons in combat detaches operators and politicians from the brutality and human cost of real warfare. As such, unmanned vehicles only serve in functions where human soldiers would simply be impractical to begin with. The prime example is the Anvil Bot, an autonomous armoured support vehicle of British design that is purely intended to shield nearby friendlies from enemy attacks. Similar to the ECA's legendary Manticore tank, the Anvil surrounds itself with a swarm of nano-scale particles manipulated by an artificial intelligence inside the parent vehicle. Unlike the Manticore, which uses these 'nano bots' to refill holes and cracks in its armour, the Anvil uses them to generate a finely calibrated field of electromagnetic interferences which confuse enemy rangefinders and targeting systems, effectively making it impossible to aim precisely at the units within the Anvil's area of effect. This comes with a major tradeoff in that the Anvil itself produces a very distinct electromagnetic signature which makes it a very easy target, an issue that has been partly remedied via the installation of nano shock panels to increase its protection. It should also be noted that the Anvil has to move at a much slower pace while maintaining its protective shield. Ever since its introduction in early 2049, the Anvil has served its own part in protecting Europe's ever dwindling arsenal of combat vehicles from attrition. Unlike the Manticore tank, Anvil Bots can be deployed in numbers upon choosing the eponymous protocol.

And as always I would like to remind all of you out there that there will be another livestream on this Sunday (June 29th) on Hechthor Doomhammers Twitch Channel
Also incase you missed the stream of last week its now availible on our youtube channel:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 28 Jun 2014, 22:43
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

Yah! Show that bastard Aleksandr who's boss! Also, van der Meer is white all of a sudden? Running out of images, I see. I cannot wait to play with these new toys for the ECA arsenal, he he.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 28 Jun 2014, 22:51
Post #3

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

Lovely.
Also, them spikes. Those spikes..
Don't touch ECA vehicles or you'll poke your eye out tongue.gif

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 28 Jun 2014, 23:21
Post #4

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

So I guess we are getting closer to the Battle of Berlin, will Aleksandr release his crazy Super Secret Russian thing there? So lore-wise is Greece & Serbia on the side of Russia?

This post has been edited by Dangerman: 28 Jun 2014, 23:21

+Quote Post
Composite armour
post 28 Jun 2014, 23:25
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 10200

I wonder what possible way the Irish could help military.

I suppose we could insult the russian's mothers.

--------------------
Composite Armor has been installed, sir.

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 28 Jun 2014, 23:28
Post #6

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

QUOTE (Dangerman @ 28 Jun 2014, 18:21) *
will Aleksandr release his crazy Super Secret Russian thing there?

Nope, not this time.

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 28 Jun 2014, 23:39
Post #7

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

Really excited for the Cryo Tank

Also, I think the flags add a neat touch to the vehicles 8Ip.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 28 Jun 2014, 23:44
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Composite armour @ 29 Jun 2014, 1:25) *

Or maybe have a drinking contest with them tongue.gif. Winner get's the gun/tank. Oh and never underestimate the power of leprechauns. Gold and rainbows always win.

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 29 Jun 2014, 0:15
Post #9

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

Europe shall not fall! Excellent stuff

QUOTE (Composite armour @ 28 Jun 2014, 23:25) *

The Irish Republic is the founder of a anti-terrorism and counter-intelligence agency in co-operation with the United Kingdom after the attack take-over of Europe. It now serves as a leader of ECA military intelligence in addition of course to boots on the ground. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 29 Jun 2014, 0:19

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
Admiral*Alex
post 29 Jun 2014, 0:17
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 9872
'Ex'-American Tanker figthing for the ECA

Anyone else think of General Of The Army Eisenhower's Speech to the troops invading Normandy when reading this?

And what is Charlemagne?

This post has been edited by Admiral*Alex: 29 Jun 2014, 0:19

--------------------
The Devil Brigade Commander/Commander of NATO Forces

+Quote Post
ubermensche
post 29 Jun 2014, 0:26
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9573

Awesome! Really awesome article! Once again, thanks SWR!.

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 29 Jun 2014, 0:40
Post #12

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Admiral*Alex @ 29 Jun 2014, 1:17) *
And what is Charlemagne?

the king of the franks and first emperor of europe after the fall of the westen roman empire

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 29 Jun 2014, 1:44
Post #13

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

QUOTE (Admiral*Alex @ 28 Jun 2014, 19:17) *
Anyone else think of General Of The Army Eisenhower's Speech to the troops invading Normandy when reading this?

Well the last part is at the very least a shout out to Charlie Chaplin's speech in the movie The Great Dictator.

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
Jester
post 29 Jun 2014, 1:55
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

Will we find out if this operation was a success?

+Quote Post
HoneyBee
post 29 Jun 2014, 2:34
Post #15

Lazy Cookie Monster
Group Icon

Member No.: 10435

QUOTE (DELETED MEMBER @ 29 Jun 2014, 0:40) *
the king of the franks and first emperor of europe after the fall of the westen roman empire

First emperor in western Europe. First emperor of Europe connotes to something different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 29 Jun 2014, 4:46
Post #16

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

YEAH!... the hell.. too long to read.. but yeahh cool spikey tanks you got there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Jun 2014, 5:32
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 28 Jun 2014, 23:43) *
Yah! Show that bastard Aleksandr who's boss! Also, van der Meer is white all of a sudden? Running out of images, I see. I cannot wait to play with these new toys for the ECA arsenal, he he.

He's always looked like that. We're using photos of the RL Dutch general Peter van Uhm to represent Willem.

QUOTE (Dangerman @ 29 Jun 2014, 0:21) *
So I guess we are getting closer to the Battle of Berlin, will Aleksandr release his crazy Super Secret Russian thing there? So lore-wise is Greece & Serbia on the side of Russia?

This was to finally establish that the eastern European countries also lend military support to Russia at this point. It's not a huge controbution, but they're mainly tasked with logistical support, peacekeeping and defensive operations in south-eastern Europe in order to free up for of Russia's own manpower.

+Quote Post
IPS
post 29 Jun 2014, 10:40
Post #18

How come nobody says wizard anymore
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 36
Projects: SWR Productions

this is the design of the Fenris btw.

--------------------
DeviantArt Portfolio

CGSociety Portfolio

"a dollar symbol is not an eagle"

+Quote Post
The General
post 29 Jun 2014, 11:23
Post #19

Head of the Federal Council of Byzantine
Group Icon

Member No.: 9974

Looks very interasting.

Are the Czech and Poland flag inside the "red territory" uprisings?

--------------------
"Nations whose nationalism is destroyed are subject to ruin."
Colonel Muhammar Gaddafi (RIP).
"You will not mind, gentlemen, that i am firstly a Russian and my closest interests are those of Russia, but I can assure you that interests of Serbia and those of the Serbian people are immediately after them."
Nicholas II of Russia.
"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune."
Noam Chomsky.

Operation "Removal" fanfiction - last edited 01.07.2015.( episode #4 part 2 added-fanfiction complete )

Russia: The Evil Empire.
Do not watch RT !
Noam Chomsky on the Genocide in Kosovo.

+Quote Post
Spejjarn
post 29 Jun 2014, 11:51
Post #20

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

Awesome! I have been looking forward to a traditional update. Thank you, SWR! Svea Rike, looks like the devs paid a tribute to your fanfic of the Battle of Skåne/Scania. SWR rocks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 29 Jun 2014, 12:45
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

QUOTE (MARS @ 29 Jun 2014, 6:32) *
He's always looked like that. We're using photos of the RL Dutch general Peter van Uhm to represent Willem.

But in this picture he looks more white than dark skinned, or was he never dark skinned to begin with?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 29 Jun 2014, 14:17
Post #22

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

The Queen's Royal Lancers? I thought it was established there was a King.

+Quote Post
Jester
post 29 Jun 2014, 14:34
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

Out of curiosity how has air combat panned out over the skies of Europe now that the USAAF is running combat missions?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Jun 2014, 14:36
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

Interesting point actually. For some reason, I operated under the assumption that the unit would maintain that name, since it'd be kind of odd to rename a whole military unit every time the monarch has a different gender.

+Quote Post
Darky
post 29 Jun 2014, 15:02
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9643

better than Taxpayers' Royal Lancers I suppose.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 13:01