post 18 Jun 2016, 10:30
Post #1

Frontline Chaos mod leader and creator
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 25
Projects: ROTR Tester
Host of

Recently got a new PC, which comes with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. After reinstalling all my modding tools, I tried yesterday to work on a model in my usual 3dsmax7. I encountered two issues:
1) 3dsmax crashes / throws an error when you close the program. Not that critical, but a bit annoying
2) when you try to navigate towards a different folder when using Save as, the entire program freezes. Using the folder navigation for Opening files and merging files works for some reason

As you can imagine, the second one basicly makes the program unusable. I already run it with Windows XP SP 2 compatibility mode, and force it to run as admin, but alas. My last option I have that should work is running it on an older Windows version inside a VM, but that brings a lot of hassle with it I would prefer to stay away from.

So my question(s): has anyone be able to get 3dsmax7 to run properly on Windows 10? What are the alternatives if this doesn't work? I have read people using 3dsmax7 only to import W3D and then save it so it can be processed and exported in a newer version of 3dsmax, but I'm unsure how this works.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 18 Jun 2016, 11:14
Post #2

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

QUOTE (Dutchygamer @ 18 Jun 2016, 18:30) *
I have read people using 3dsmax7 only to import W3D and then save it so it can be processed and exported in a newer version of 3dsmax, but I'm unsure how this works.

Yeah,the w3d importer doesnt work with newer versions of max. I tried 8 and the w3d importer works,just fine. Export it from max 8 and then import it to a newer version.In my case,2017. I have windows 7 64 bit tho. So I dont know what's causing your trouble. Maybe it has some relation with directx or the redistributals(whatever that is)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 18 Jun 2016, 18:17
Post #3

Group Icon

Host of

Okay, so I acquired 3dsmax 2013 and so far I got the (coolfile) W3D importer to work. However, the W3D exporter (from the BFME Mod SDK) doesn't work as expected. If I put the necessary files in the folder of 3dsmax 2013 it throws errors on start.

An oddity I notice that if I open an existing model I saved in 3dsmax7 (as .max and exported as W3D) the program throws an error that "Max2W3d.dle failed to load". If I locate that file and put in the proper folder 3dsmax 2013 throws errors again. I can ignore the error and open the file, but it appears completely black. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the error or is something else.

I'm also unsure on how to process W3D files now. I can import them in 2013, but can't rig them for W3D or export them (as the tools don't work). Opening existing .max files created in 7 in 2013 throws errors but seem to work anyway. Exporting only works on 7, but I'm not sure how to get files from 2013 to 7 (opening .max file from 2013 in 7 crashes).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 18 Jun 2016, 23:24
Post #4

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

You can export models from 2013 to .3ds format so that it can be opened in 7/8, but the best way to work on ZH models, imo, is to simply use 3ds max 7/8.

You can use the newer 2k versions, but at the end of the day you still need to export it as .3ds or .obj to 3ds max 7/8 for rigging anyway, and most, if not all, of the new tools don't give you any real advantage over 7/8.

Try getting max 8 to work on 10, if it doesn't, you're only hope might be to go back to windows 7. Either that or hire someone to do the rigging and exporting for you.

This post has been edited by Zeke: 18 Jun 2016, 23:24

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 19 Jun 2016, 12:01
Post #5

Group Icon

Host of

I will try 8 then and see if that works.

EDIT: okay, the error on close seems to be gone, but the navigation freeze still remains. However, navigation through the folders instead of using the picker doesn't seem to freeze, so it can be worked around (I think). The W3D importer and exporter also work, so I think I'm able to work again. Cheers for the suggestion Zeke smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dutchygamer: 19 Jun 2016, 12:36

--------------------

+Quote Post
Graion Dilach
post 19 Jun 2016, 12:11
Post #6

Supérior Caliburwielder
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10093
Just a random modder trying to give a helping hand.

Could you try renaming the 3dsmax executable in the folder? Might be Windows's hacksupport (enable these hacks to run this thing) goes off. (Found this solution on the internet though.)

--------------------

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2 | SWR Community Discord https://discord.gg/REcbv37
ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 17 Dec 2016, 20:47)
we have players who don't play, testers who don't test, devs who don't dev and members who don't remember

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 20 Jun 2016, 20:18
Post #7

Group Icon

Host of

I'd prefer not chancing breaking it further. It works as it is now tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 19:32