Reply to this topicStart new topic
RenX Problems, Editing RotR infantry models
drebin052
post 26 Dec 2016, 4:46
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12649

I'm trying to edit RotR models so that they look more like something you'd expect from the 2040's and be more realistic (inb4 RotR isn't about realism). Naturally this mod is for personal use.

I've gotten most things like vehicles and helicopters edited with no problems at all, but infantry models on the other hand are giving me a headache.

For starters, I'm working on the Ranger model so that they can be randomised to either have the Vanguard's monocle/eyepiece attached, wear a backpack, have weapon optics mounted, etc.

Problem is that once I get the model in-game, the Rangers are stuck in a default T-stance and don't have any animations. Note that I haven't added any of the aforementioned changes yet; this is just a quick export straight out of RenX and into Generals without changing the .ini at all.

The model was imported into RenX with the bones from AIRNGR_SKL.W3D applied to it.

These are the export settings I used for each part of the model:

And these are the settings I used for exporting the entire thing into W3D:

It's probably a really simple thing that I missed, but I've been stuck trying to figure this out for the past couple of hours and I can't figure out a solution. If it's any help I've included links the gmax file I'm using & the exported model as well.

Cheers for any help in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GearsGoAwryMan
post 27 Dec 2016, 16:41
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 11785

Maybe use Hierarchical animated model perhaps instead of hierarchical model? It might be different due to infantry skeletons being animated instead of infantry models, but still.

On that topic is a skeleton bound to the model?

+Quote Post
drebin052
post 28 Dec 2016, 4:51
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (GearsGoAwryMan @ 28 Dec 2016, 2:41) *
Maybe use Hierarchical animated model perhaps instead of hierarchical model?

Nope. Makes no difference as I'm still stuck with the default T-stance.

QUOTE (GearsGoAwryMan @ 28 Dec 2016, 2:41) *
On that topic is a skeleton bound to the model?

I think so...at least according to the infantry modelling tutorial that I followed on CnCLabs. I've bound the model to the bones via spacewarp but the Ranger's still left unanimated in-game.

+Quote Post
drebin052
post 4 Jan 2017, 8:12
Post #4

Group Icon

Finally figured it out. In case anyone in the future gets stuck in this rut like I did:

- Turns out unlike with vehicles and aircraft, you need to toggle Export Transform (Bone) off for the mesh itself and only leave Export Geometry option toggled in W3D Tools. Bones and the pickbox have their own usual export settings.

- When binding the model to the spacewarp, you may need to manually link the vertices to the bones themselves and not just rely on auto-link to do the job. In this case, I had to manually link the Ranger's rifle to the BONE-GUN bone as auto-link otherwise screwed it up.

...it's always the little things that get you.

+Quote Post
GearsGoAwryMan
post 11 Jan 2017, 20:41
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 11785

huh. guess i'll have to keep that in mind if i want to do any infantry.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 9:58