Sarge's art-pile of art-stuff.
Oldschool22
post 9 Oct 2014, 2:06
Post #126

Why are old planes so freakin' cool?
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10578

Quick question, but whats the 4 white flying things around the ship?

--------------------
"Air superiority is the key to any modern war, but its the grunts on the ground that unlock the door to peace" - Oldschool22
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 9 Oct 2014, 2:08
Post #127

Cranium Ventilator in chief
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

Dummy targets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oldschool22
post 9 Oct 2014, 2:16
Post #128

Why are old planes so freakin' cool?
Group Icon

Member No.: 10578

ok

--------------------
"Air superiority is the key to any modern war, but its the grunts on the ground that unlock the door to peace" - Oldschool22

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 10 Oct 2014, 4:29
Post #129

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

I wanna see those ships in the 2.0 version of Rise of the Reds.

Especially the one with the bow that looks like it can ram an enemy ship.

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 10 Oct 2014, 11:45
Post #130

Group Icon

Not going to happen, sorry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 12 Oct 2014, 2:11
Post #131

Group Icon

This is the Leviathan. The ship class that makes Battleships look like RHIBs:

96 40mm cannons on 24 turrets, 20 8" cannons on 10 turrets, and 16 18" guns on 4 turrets as well as a (not yet modeled) VLS and 2 helipads. Additionally, 4 flare launchers and 8 SeaRAMs. Powered by two Sodium-Potassium cooled TOKAMAK reactors driving 4 water jets through steam turbines and 2 electrically. about 320 meters long and a little over 100 meters wide.

This post has been edited by Sargeant Rho: 12 Oct 2014, 2:12

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 12 Oct 2014, 7:21
Post #132

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

That looks crazy-awesome. I really do like your futuristic military designs. They have a good balance between being stylistically distinct and videogamey on the one hand and technically believable within whatever setting they may belong in on the other. I'm really curious as to what you might end up using these for and what kinda factions it would have.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 12 Oct 2014, 11:48
Post #133

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

Mm-mm, sexy! I these will be in a game I can't wait to use them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darky
post 12 Oct 2014, 12:49
Post #134

Group Icon

Member No.: 9643

QUOTE (Sargeant Rho @ 12 Oct 2014, 2:11) *
This is the Leviathan. The ship class that makes Battleships look like RHIBs:

96 40mm cannons on 24 turrets, 20 8" cannons on 10 turrets, and 16 18" guns on 4 turrets as well as a (not yet modeled) VLS and 2 helipads. Additionally, 4 flare launchers and 8 SeaRAMs. Powered by two Sodium-Potassium cooled TOKAMAK reactors driving 4 water jets through steam turbines and 2 electrically. about 320 meters long and a little over 100 meters wide.

Only misses a fixed-mount gigantic wave force cannon. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 12 Oct 2014, 14:34
Post #135

Group Icon

Thanks guys!

All these ships are for a Naval RTS game. I'm going to properly announce it when we have some gameplay to show off. As of right now, only one faction is planned, with a possible second one after the first one is completed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 27 Oct 2014, 13:16
Post #136

Group Icon

Started working on the Mothership:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 27 Oct 2014, 14:30
Post #137

Group Icon

Sweet Jebus. THat looks awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 27 Oct 2014, 16:48
Post #138

Group Icon

And made a little more progress:

This thing is going to take a while...

--------------------

+Quote Post
IPS
post 28 Oct 2014, 23:54
Post #139

How come nobody says wizard anymore
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 36
Projects: SWR Productions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpTlzzgtrA

looks interesting so far.
but how big would it be? xD

--------------------
DeviantArt Portfolio

CGSociety Portfolio

"a dollar symbol is not an eagle"

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 29 Oct 2014, 8:08
Post #140

Group Icon

I think it was about 470m long.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 3 Nov 2014, 21:37
Post #141

Group Icon

I'm stuck with the mother ship, so I touched up the cruiser (base model by Tank50us, railings, small details, VLS, and some work on the superstructure by me). Also: Ships. Ships everywhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ComradeCrimson
post 4 Nov 2014, 11:01
Post #142

The Trench Dog
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10225

QUOTE (Sargeant Rho @ 3 Nov 2014, 21:37) *
I'm stuck with the mother ship, so I touched up the cruiser (base model by Tank50us, railings, small details, VLS, and some work on the superstructure by me). Also: Ships. Ships everywhere.

I always love how much detail you put into these... don't forget me on Skype! I miss our chats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 5 Nov 2014, 15:58
Post #143

Group Icon

Thanks tongue.gif

Small interplanetary cargo hauler, I'll make a dropship variant later.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 5 Nov 2014, 16:17
Post #144

Group Icon

Cool and all but if there's interplanetary travel involved what's the point of making a small cargo hauler? There's nothing limiting size in space so just make it as big as a freaking skyscraper and you've got yourself a damn good transport.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 5 Nov 2014, 16:30
Post #145

Group Icon

That's a common misconception. The heavier your ship, the more expensive it is to build, the more fuel it needs, and usually accelerates more slowly. While large freighters exist - for instance, those carrying Helium 3 from Uranus to the inner solar system - they are usually purpose-configured for their intended trips. Those large freighters also can't *land* on planets. They normally also use Hohmann transfer orbits, taking months to travel between Earth and Mars...while this thing takes a week to get there due to its Brachistochrone flight path that consists of firing the engines continuously for the entire trip in such a way that your top speed peaks shortly after the half-way point of your trip.

So these small haulers are mostly used for urgent and courier deliveries, passenger flights, and as shuttles between the surface and orbit. Interstellar ships, specially colony ships, drag one or two of these around as well, since they can shuttle between the surface and orbit several times without refueling, and can just land next to a river or other large body of water, or skim through a gas giant, to gather propellant for its fusion torch engines.

Another thing this shuttle allows is delivering perishable goods, like fresh fruits or meat from industrialized planets to colonies that don't have the kind of carrying capacity needed to produce either yet.

This post has been edited by Sargeant Rho: 5 Nov 2014, 16:32

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 5 Nov 2014, 17:05
Post #146

Group Icon

QUOTE (Sargeant Rho @ 5 Nov 2014, 16:30) *
That's a common misconception. The heavier your ship, the more expensive it is to build, the more fuel it needs, and usually accelerates more slowly. While large freighters exist - for instance, those carrying Helium 3 from Uranus to the inner solar system - they are usually purpose-configured for their intended trips. Those large freighters also can't *land* on planets. They normally also use Hohmann transfer orbits, taking months to travel between Earth and Mars...while this thing takes a week to get there due to its Brachistochrone flight path that consists of firing the engines continuously for the entire trip in such a way that your top speed peaks shortly after the half-way point of your trip.

So these small haulers are mostly used for urgent and courier deliveries, passenger flights, and as shuttles between the surface and orbit. Interstellar ships, specially colony ships, drag one or two of these around as well, since they can shuttle between the surface and orbit several times without refueling, and can just land next to a river or other large body of water, or skim through a gas giant, to gather propellant for its fusion torch engines.

Another thing this shuttle allows is delivering perishable goods, like fresh fruits or meat from industrialized planets to colonies that don't have the kind of carrying capacity needed to produce either yet.

Very interesting. What is the hull composition? I assume some strong material due to the need to travel through the atmosphere at great intervals would cause quite some damage to the hull. I always assumed that the bigger the ship, the bigger the engines you can build thus eliminating the slow acceleration process. Do these ships have artificial gravity?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 5 Nov 2014, 17:48
Post #147

Group Icon

Sort of. It's possible to rotate the ship, producing a small amount of gravity. About 0.15g at 2.3 rpm, which is half mars gravity. It's not exactly optimal, but it is better than no gravity. It's possible to tether 2 of these together, producing Earth gravity without becoming the Vomit Comet 2.0.

The heat shield is made of a lightweight ceramic material that covers the entire craft's surface except for the magnetic nozzle extension of the combined cycle fusion rocket. The air frame itself is partially made of composite materials, and parts that may be exposed to reentry plasma are made of a titanium super-alloy. The windows are made of three layers, the outer layer is sapphire glass, while the inner layer is made of lead glass with a polymer layer in between, while the hull of the pressure vessel of the crew section is a sandwich of titanium, polyethylene, water, polyethylene and again titanium. The water tanks in the middle of that sandwich add radiation shielding and serve as fresh water tanks, with the waste water tank being behind the crew section.

Additionally, lead shutters can be deployed over the windows if it has to fly through high radiation zones, like Jupiter's radiation belts.

You can build big ships with big engines, but that's going to require more fuel. Square-cube law is a bitch, even when you're using fusion engines with their absurdly high specific impulse values. If you build a bigger ship, you need more fuel and bigger engines to get the same acceleration values, which requires you to carry even more fuel, since you have to not only accelerate the heavier ship, but all the extra fuel as well.

Dropship variant:

Has 12 heavy guided missiles, 2 retractable auto cannons in reentry-hardened pods in the wings, as well as enhanced sensors, and a pulse laser in a sapphire cupola under the nose.

This post has been edited by Sargeant Rho: 5 Nov 2014, 18:48

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 5 Nov 2014, 19:20
Post #148

Group Icon

QUOTE (Sargeant Rho @ 5 Nov 2014, 17:48) *
Sort of. It's possible to rotate the ship, producing a small amount of gravity. About 0.15g at 2.3 rpm, which is half mars gravity. It's not exactly optimal, but it is better than no gravity. It's possible to tether 2 of these together, producing Earth gravity without becoming the Vomit Comet 2.0.

Centrifugal gravity, right? Interesting, but I do wonder do these small craft really need to be manned? Aren't they more effective as remote-controlled/unmanned drones?

The heat shield is made of a lightweight ceramic material that covers the entire craft's surface except for the magnetic nozzle extension of the combined cycle fusion rocket. The air frame itself is partially made of composite materials, and parts that may be exposed to reentry plasma are made of a titanium super-alloy. The windows are made of three layers, the outer layer is sapphire glass, while the inner layer is made of lead glass with a polymer layer in between, while the hull of the pressure vessel of the crew section is a sandwich of titanium, polyethylene, water, polyethylene and again titanium. The water tanks in the middle of that sandwich add radiation shielding and serve as fresh water tanks, with the waste water tank being behind the crew section.

Additionally, lead shutters can be deployed over the windows if it has to fly through high radiation zones, like Jupiter's radiation belts.

Oh, I thought something like graphene would be a suitable material since it's lightweight, nigh-indestructible and asuming this takes place in the future would be relatively easy to mass-produce. But I don't know jack shit about your universe so I could be mistaken. This is one of the gripes I have with futuristic settings: it always have to look futuristic yet recognizable, otherwise it would just be a mess for us.

You can build big ships with big engines, but that's going to require more fuel. Square-cube law is a bitch, even when you're using fusion engines with their absurdly high specific impulse values. If you build a bigger ship, you need more fuel and bigger engines to get the same acceleration values, which requires you to carry even more fuel, since you have to not only accelerate the heavier ship, but all the extra fuel as well.

Dropship variant:

Has 12 heavy guided missiles, 2 retractable auto cannons in reentry-hardened pods in the wings, as well as enhanced sensors, and a pulse laser in a sapphire cupola under the nose.

Sexy dropship! You are a texture artist, too, right? Cause I would love to see these vehicles in their final glory.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 5 Nov 2014, 19:28
Post #149

Group Icon

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 5 Nov 2014, 19:20) *
Centrifugal gravity, right? Interesting, but I do wonder do these small craft really need to be manned? Aren't they more effective as remote-controlled/unmanned drones?

It can fly unmanned, like any self-respecting spacecraft should. But usually it's flown by freelancers, kind of like Serenity, flying all sorts of stuff around. It only has to spin on longer trips though, on a flight from Earth to Mars or Earth to Venus, it's constantly accelerating along its axis, providing the illusion of gravity as well.

Oh, I thought something like graphene would be a suitable material since it's lightweight, nigh-indestructible and asuming this takes place in the future would be relatively easy to mass-produce. But I don't know jack shit about your universe so I could be mistaken. This is one of the gripes I have with futuristic settings: it always have to look futuristic yet recognizable, otherwise it would just be a mess for us.

Graphene is used for a number of things - such as the heat shield of the fusion engine's magnetic nozzle extension, as well as electronics. But it's far more economical to use metals and ceramics for the hull.

Sexy dropship! You are a texture artist, too, right? Cause I would love to see these vehicles in their final glory.

Yeah, but I won't be texturing these before I finished all those ships I showed earlier.

This post has been edited by Sargeant Rho: 5 Nov 2014, 19:40

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 5 Nov 2014, 19:58
Post #150

Group Icon

How in-depth is your universe already? Or are you just making this up as you answer to my questions?

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 14:54