IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Generals Challenge on Hard, It's definitely a challenge.
Shadow
post 12 Aug 2011, 23:48
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 494

So I beat Hardgen Tao. Now I'm on for Toxic gen. For the life of me I can't do it. I must have played against him for at least four hours, restarted countless times, and I've tried every combination and tactic I can think of so now I'm turning to you guys for help.

So if anyone here has completed it yet then lemme know...

(I'm on the most updated version of SW)

Thanks guys!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
markp
post 13 Aug 2011, 18:45
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 176

Who are you playing as?

+Quote Post
Shadow
post 13 Aug 2011, 19:06
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (markp @ 13 Aug 2011, 18:45) *
Who are you playing as?

Hahaha I wrote out a massive intro/OP but my comp crashed when I posted it so I guess I missed the most obvious thing in the 2nd version.

I'm playing as Stealth gen.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 14 Aug 2011, 18:38
Post #4

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Be stealthy and target anything that can detect you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadow
post 14 Aug 2011, 22:12
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 14 Aug 2011, 18:38) *
Be stealthy and target anything that can detect you?

I've spent four hours at least repeatly getting dumped on, the main problem is he keeps attacking and attacking with bigger and better units. Even his toxin tractors kill my tanks etc very easily.

Hijackers get killed once they've stolen a vechile due to toxins. Sniper rocketmen dont fire fast enough to be effective base defense. Everything else gets slaughter by toxins.

I don't know weather to just push east/left and kill his arms dealer over there asap or try wait and build a scud (somehow before he does).

I was looking for anyone who has done it to tell me how they did it, or if they could have a go themselves (as it's only the second gen you go against in the stealth series, tao being the first).

This post has been edited by Shadow: 15 Aug 2011, 2:32

+Quote Post
Shock
post 16 Aug 2011, 23:01
Post #6

Forum Green
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

Stealth is a hard one as you can't rely on aircraft or armoured units to protect you. Have you tried using Stealth Palaces as defense? Build a tunnel behind the palace and actively repair it (pop workers in and out). Workers that just stand by buildings will be targets as the enemy cant see your buildings and they die easily from toxin spread, so keep them in the tunnels. That way your only real concern will be Scourge launchers. You can pick those off with popping frogs from a tunnel. This is very micro intensive and quite hard to maintain, as losing your palace to a wave may lose you the game.

Build a palace, some support units and the necessary tunnel infrastructure. After that invest in your Scud Storm. If you can keep up the fight until yours finishes, then you can start building a second palace perhaps for additional defense and a secondary income. Another valid strat is to pop a sneak attack on the bottom right corner of the map, where you can pop frogs to keep his arms dealer down. (if you reach the sneak attack of course)

The biggest problem that remains is the anthrax bomb, as its entire duration will prevent you from repairing your defenses. If you can keep a tunnel hidden in the village on your starting island, it will be able to pop frogs and kill units while you wait for it to wear out.

It is only after that, where you can start building an army to defeat him, but to get to that point is the hard part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
markp
post 21 Aug 2011, 0:11
Post #7

Group Icon

I played Stealth vs Toxin yesterday and these are the steps I used to beat Toxin ...

- purchase camo option for all buildings as soon as possible; use the mini-map to keep any eye on where the AI units are located!; don't place any unstealthed units in the NW corner of your base as this will encourage the AI to come into your base from the NW (we don't want that!)

- build 2 stinger sites NE of HQ, about half way between HQ and the small ridge that runs NW to SE before you get to the bridge (leave room to the north of your stingers for the palace; put a worker behind each stinger site to provide maintenance

- capture oil well on east side of base and put stinger south of well; this will act to delay units from the east as they'll typically stop to attack the oil well; have a worker positioned to provide maintenance for the well and stinger

- don't bother with the northern oil well as this will encourage the AI to come into your base from the NW (we don't want that)

- build your arms dealer about half way between HQ and northern oil well, put as far to the west/left as possible; build a radar van and 3-4 wheeled tanks; purchase tank/rocket upgrade; use tanks to harass units attacking the stinger sites and eastern oil well; micro manage tanks to collect crates as often as possible (for upgrades and money)

- build palace north of stingers facing to the east; leave room to north side for vehicles to pass (between the palace and the leaking/damaged toxin bunker); purchase camo, bldg reinforcement, toxin and radar van upgrades (in that order); you may need to spread these purchases out so that you can put soldiers into the palace as soon as possible; leave worker behind/left-of palace for maintenance

- populate palace with 5 rocket troops (should be waiting by the time the palace construction is complete) and JK; these take priority over the non-camo palace upgrades

- use first generals power to obtain frogs; build a couple frogs

- position frogs to west/northwest of palace; run them forward to take out buggies and scourges attacking your palace; also use them to assist with killing any units that come over the ridge to attack your palace (especially the battle buses filled with grenadiers!); also use frogs to destroy tunnel just west of bridge; during lulls in enemy activity, run the frogs out to the east of the palace to pick up crates (for the upgrades) and then move back to the W/NW side of palace

- [optional] place a few infantry (they're stealthed) at outlying areas (eg, NW by oil rig; N by water and just W of bridge - after you've eliminated the tunnel; NE behind building facing the bridge; E near enemy stinger but out of the path of enemy vehicles); don't have them attack anything, they're just there to provide an early warning/view of what's coming at you so that you can reposition units accordingly (ie, I used them to expand the coverage area of my mini-map)

- if you lose any tanks, build new ones to replace them; build another 1-2 radar vans when you have the money; you always want to have at least 1 working radar van so that you can keep an eye on the mini-map to see where the AI is coming from!

- micro manage the tanks; you should be running them back-n-forth from NW to SE ... helping the palace and oil well ... collecting crates (for money!)

- the next generals point should be spent on the gps scrambler; immediately stealth your tanks, frogs, radar vans and a handful of workers; place one radar van near palace (to help with spotting enemy JK - your JK can then take him out before he does any damage); place the other radar van somewhere away from your HQ (eg, NW corner of base?); use stealthed workers for maintenance on palace and stingers; set a couple aside (away from HQ) for later use

- build a scud storm E of HQ as soon as you've got the money; build a couple stingers to E of scud storm (you've probably lost the oil well and possibly the local stinger by now?)

- continue to use your roving tanks to assist stingers and palace; continue to use the frogs to defend the palace

- when your scud storm is ready to fire, take out his palace; this will disable his ability to produce JK, rocket buggies and scourges (and battle buses?); in my game he never rebuilt the palace so defensive operations got a lot easier after he used up all of his scourges and buggies

- watch timer on enemy's scud storm; in my games he always fires at the supply dump/HQ area; just before he fires his scud storm, move as many units away from the area; in my game my frogs and tanks were already outside the radius of the kill zone; after toxins clear send in workers to repair/rebuild buildings; remember to repurchase camo option for any buildings that are rebuilt from tunnels or scratch

NOTE: Yes, I allowed him to hit my base with his scud storm; with the bldg reinforcement (palace upgrade) the only thing I lost was my baracks (minor issue)

- build a black market as soon as you've got the money, after the camo upgrade purchase the rocket upgrade (for rocket troops in palace, for stinger sites, for tanks, for frogs); purchase other upgrades (armor piercing bullets, vehicle maint) as you see fit

- build a second scud storm when you get the money (should be room enough to east of HQ for 2-3 scud storms); when 2 scud storms are ready to fire, take out his scud storm

- assuming his palace is gone, you've got plenty of time/options on what to do next ...

- the rest of my generals points were used for the sneak attack, extra/bonus money and crate airdrop (it's easier to upgrade vehicles behind friendly lines ;-)

- I took out his arms dealer to the east with the following: build a mobile collection center, build a couple technicals, train a few infrantry and rocket troops (put in the technicals), build a tunnel in your base (put rocket troops into technicals), purchase the sneak attack, wait 'til you have a scud storm ready to launch, wait 'til you have a GPS stealth option available then ... place technicals and mobile collection center into tunnel; fire your scud storm at the far eastern arms dealer and the nearest building full of his rocket troops (don't hit the leaking toxin bunker close to the supply depot); drop the sneak attack into an area just west of the far eastern supply depot (facing to the SE); deploy technicals and mobile collection center to the far SW corner of map (ie, to east of supply depot) and activate their stealth/camo; deploy all troops from techincals and and all workers from mobile collection center, apply GPS stealth to the troops/workers; use troops to finish off his arms dealer (if necessary), then either put them back in the technicals or move them away from the depot (don't worry if you lose them; you just don't want them attracting any attention to your little corner of the map); once your scud storm toxins clear up have one stealthed worker build a booby trap where the arms dealer used to be (this should keep AI from trying to rebuild an arms dealer in this location); in my game the AI came down with vehicles and his toxin bomber (generals power) to take out the sneak attack tunnel (hence my reason for deploying vehicles away from sneak attack tunnel); deploy workers to move resources from the supply depot to the camo/stealthed mobile collection center

NOTE: Yes, workers are automatically stealthed while collecting supplies; I went ahead and stealthed them so I could send one over to build the booby trap without drawing attention to himself.

- as I collected more money I built a 3rd scud storm in my main base; I also built an arms dealer and baracks near the far eastern supply depot, then cranked out a collection of tanks/frogs/quadcals and moved up from the far eastern supply depot into his base ... using scud storms to wipe out his HQ and arms dealers

I was able to play through the entire mission without having to reload from a save point (though I did make a few save points during the early portions of the game - just in case).

Piece of cake! ;-)

This post has been edited by markp: 21 Aug 2011, 14:04

+Quote Post
Shock
post 23 Aug 2011, 19:47
Post #8

Forum Green
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

markp, you seem pretty adept at it.

How about try to do Laser Challenge on hard using Toxin. It should be one of the first challenges.

It should keep you busy smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
markp
post 23 Aug 2011, 21:22
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Shock @ 23 Aug 2011, 14:47) *
How about try to do Laser Challenge on hard using Toxin. It should be one of the first challenges.

Is that a request for pointers on how to use Toxin to beat Laser in the generals challenge? ;-)

(Obviously?) All of the challenges (hard, as each general) are winnable ... some are cake walks (eg, armor general goes to sleep after the initial onslaught; plenty of time to outgun nuke general with super weapons), some require a lot of micro-managing (and restarts til I come up with a plan), and some are just plain luck or dumb AI (eg, nuke general attacks open areas of map instead of my base).

This post has been edited by markp: 23 Aug 2011, 21:23

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 31 Aug 2011, 23:58
Post #10

Group Icon

I find artillery works to punch a hole in his line. Then some angry mobs supported by AA guns and Jarmen Kell for laser

--------------------

+Quote Post
markp
post 5 Sep 2011, 18:33
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 31 Aug 2011, 18:58) *
I find artillery works to punch a hole in his line. Then some angry mobs supported by AA guns and Jarmen Kell for laser

Played toxin vs laser yesterday ...

A couple scourges were enough to take out his rail guns when they came to attack my base.

Punching a hole through his defenses with 3 scourges was actually too easy ... the AI failed to activate the laser turrets so all of my scourge missiles hit their targets. In older versions of SW I'd've never been able to register a hit with just 3 scourges.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 5 Sep 2011, 23:06
Post #12

Group Icon

Yeah I noticed the artillery wasn't shot down. Tbh I used mobs because I wanted to try something different.
Be cool if someone could port Generals to Android tablets

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shockwavelover84
post 21 Dec 2011, 22:58
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 8901

QUOTE (markp @ 23 Aug 2011, 22:22) *
Is that a request for pointers on how to use Toxin to beat Laser in the generals challenge? ;-)

(Obviously?) All of the challenges (hard, as each general) are winnable ... some are cake walks (eg, armor general goes to sleep after the initial onslaught; plenty of time to outgun nuke general with super weapons), some require a lot of micro-managing (and restarts til I come up with a plan), and some are just plain luck or dumb AI (eg, nuke general attacks open areas of map instead of my base).

lol, I have a great strategy for defeating Thrax as the Laser General.

Don't even worry about tanks or ground forces (other than infantry to capture the oil derrick to the east - don't worry about the derrick to the north, it will be destroyed). Just build numerous Laser Turrets (build as many as possible north of your base, as in 5-6, with 4 active at all times as a bare minimum), and keep a minimum of 3 just to the right of the Oil Derrick to the east. Also keep dozers near the turrets at all times to rebuild/repair them (as well as the eastern oil derrick), and rebuild dozers as necessary.

Have the Turrets destroy buildings/tents which block their firing range when they get a chance - if you have 3 turrets to the east, then no Bomb Trucks will get through, and the turrets will intercept all Scourge missiles fired at it. The turrets to the north with also be able to completely intercept any missiles fired at them, as well as annhilate any units he throws at you. The only exception are the rocket buggies (laser turrets can't intercept them).

Just collect supplies all the while and build up your base to get a particle cannon as soon as possible. When he builds his Scud Storm, use your particle cannon and all your Generals' powers (Drone Bombers, fuel air bomb, even Spectre Gunship or Hornet strike) to annhilate the Scud Storm - if he hits you with it, the battle could be over and I've never taken the chance to find out.

Once you've got a Strategy center, start cranking out Railgun artilleries, and use these to destroy his rocket buggies from afar (the rocket buggies, and the Battle Busses loaded with grenadier soldiers should be your only real threat to your defenses at this point). Choose the Search and Destroy strategy to increase the range of your laser turrets, and purchase the Focusing Crystal upgrade to increase their damage - these will help out too. And build as many Supply Drop Pads as possible to increase your funds (you should have some ready by the time your Supply pile runs out).

At this point, his attacks will eventually dwindle slightly, and your funds with begin to increase dramatically - now is when you'll actually start building your attack force, including tanks, artillery, and possibly laser commanches. Another good upgrade is the Laser Point Defense for your vehicle battle drones - this allows them to intercept missiles. Start by taking out his base to the east, then continue to build up your forces and when you're ready, eliminate his northern base. The battle will be yours.

+Quote Post
markp
post 24 Dec 2011, 15:30
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (Shockwavelover84 @ 21 Dec 2011, 17:58) *
lol, I have a great strategy for defeating Thrax as the Laser General.

The original question was how to use Thrax to defeat Laser.

Using Laser to defeat Thrax is rather easy. ;-)

+Quote Post
Shockwavelover84
post 24 Dec 2011, 23:45
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 8901

QUOTE (markp @ 24 Dec 2011, 15:30) *
The original question was how to use Thrax to defeat Laser.

Using Laser to defeat Thrax is rather easy. ;-)

lol thanks, nice catch

+Quote Post
PrudIsDaWay
post 31 Dec 2012, 8:07
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9591

GREAT INFO, can you please post some screen shots. although you are fairly descriptive. It's just easier for me to process what your saying with visual aides like a picture or a video. THanks. cool_worm.gif

QUOTE (markp @ 21 Aug 2011, 1:11) *
I played Stealth vs Toxin yesterday and these are the steps I used to beat Toxin ...

- purchase camo option for all buildings as soon as possible; use the mini-map to keep any eye on where the AI units are located!; don't place any unstealthed units in the NW corner of your base as this will encourage the AI to come into your base from the NW (we don't want that!)

- build 2 stinger sites NE of HQ, about half way between HQ and the small ridge that runs NW to SE before you get to the bridge (leave room to the north of your stingers for the palace; put a worker behind each stinger site to provide maintenance

- capture oil well on east side of base and put stinger south of well; this will act to delay units from the east as they'll typically stop to attack the oil well; have a worker positioned to provide maintenance for the well and stinger

- don't bother with the northern oil well as this will encourage the AI to come into your base from the NW (we don't want that)

- build your arms dealer about half way between HQ and northern oil well, put as far to the west/left as possible; build a radar van and 3-4 wheeled tanks; purchase tank/rocket upgrade; use tanks to harass units attacking the stinger sites and eastern oil well; micro manage tanks to collect crates as often as possible (for upgrades and money)

- build palace north of stingers facing to the east; leave room to north side for vehicles to pass (between the palace and the leaking/damaged toxin bunker); purchase camo, bldg reinforcement, toxin and radar van upgrades (in that order); you may need to spread these purchases out so that you can put soldiers into the palace as soon as possible; leave worker behind/left-of palace for maintenance

- populate palace with 5 rocket troops (should be waiting by the time the palace construction is complete) and JK; these take priority over the non-camo palace upgrades

- use first generals power to obtain frogs; build a couple frogs

- position frogs to west/northwest of palace; run them forward to take out buggies and scourges attacking your palace; also use them to assist with killing any units that come over the ridge to attack your palace (especially the battle buses filled with grenadiers!); also use frogs to destroy tunnel just west of bridge; during lulls in enemy activity, run the frogs out to the east of the palace to pick up crates (for the upgrades) and then move back to the W/NW side of palace

- [optional] place a few infantry (they're stealthed) at outlying areas (eg, NW by oil rig; N by water and just W of bridge - after you've eliminated the tunnel; NE behind building facing the bridge; E near enemy stinger but out of the path of enemy vehicles); don't have them attack anything, they're just there to provide an early warning/view of what's coming at you so that you can reposition units accordingly (ie, I used them to expand the coverage area of my mini-map)

- if you lose any tanks, build new ones to replace them; build another 1-2 radar vans when you have the money; you always want to have at least 1 working radar van so that you can keep an eye on the mini-map to see where the AI is coming from!

- micro manage the tanks; you should be running them back-n-forth from NW to SE ... helping the palace and oil well ... collecting crates (for money!)

- the next generals point should be spent on the gps scrambler; immediately stealth your tanks, frogs, radar vans and a handful of workers; place one radar van near palace (to help with spotting enemy JK - your JK can then take him out before he does any damage); place the other radar van somewhere away from your HQ (eg, NW corner of base?); use stealthed workers for maintenance on palace and stingers; set a couple aside (away from HQ) for later use

- build a scud storm E of HQ as soon as you've got the money; build a couple stingers to E of scud storm (you've probably lost the oil well and possibly the local stinger by now?)

- continue to use your roving tanks to assist stingers and palace; continue to use the frogs to defend the palace

- when your scud storm is ready to fire, take out his palace; this will disable his ability to produce JK, rocket buggies and scourges (and battle buses?); in my game he never rebuilt the palace so defensive operations got a lot easier after he used up all of his scourges and buggies

- watch timer on enemy's scud storm; in my games he always fires at the supply dump/HQ area; just before he fires his scud storm, move as many units away from the area; in my game my frogs and tanks were already outside the radius of the kill zone; after toxins clear send in workers to repair/rebuild buildings; remember to repurchase camo option for any buildings that are rebuilt from tunnels or scratch

NOTE: Yes, I allowed him to hit my base with his scud storm; with the bldg reinforcement (palace upgrade) the only thing I lost was my baracks (minor issue)

- build a black market as soon as you've got the money, after the camo upgrade purchase the rocket upgrade (for rocket troops in palace, for stinger sites, for tanks, for frogs); purchase other upgrades (armor piercing bullets, vehicle maint) as you see fit

- build a second scud storm when you get the money (should be room enough to east of HQ for 2-3 scud storms); when 2 scud storms are ready to fire, take out his scud storm

- assuming his palace is gone, you've got plenty of time/options on what to do next ...

- the rest of my generals points were used for the sneak attack, extra/bonus money and crate airdrop (it's easier to upgrade vehicles behind friendly lines ;-)

- I took out his arms dealer to the east with the following: build a mobile collection center, build a couple technicals, train a few infrantry and rocket troops (put in the technicals), build a tunnel in your base (put rocket troops into technicals), purchase the sneak attack, wait 'til you have a scud storm ready to launch, wait 'til you have a GPS stealth option available then ... place technicals and mobile collection center into tunnel; fire your scud storm at the far eastern arms dealer and the nearest building full of his rocket troops (don't hit the leaking toxin bunker close to the supply depot); drop the sneak attack into an area just west of the far eastern supply depot (facing to the SE); deploy technicals and mobile collection center to the far SW corner of map (ie, to east of supply depot) and activate their stealth/camo; deploy all troops from techincals and and all workers from mobile collection center, apply GPS stealth to the troops/workers; use troops to finish off his arms dealer (if necessary), then either put them back in the technicals or move them away from the depot (don't worry if you lose them; you just don't want them attracting any attention to your little corner of the map); once your scud storm toxins clear up have one stealthed worker build a booby trap where the arms dealer used to be (this should keep AI from trying to rebuild an arms dealer in this location); in my game the AI came down with vehicles and his toxin bomber (generals power) to take out the sneak attack tunnel (hence my reason for deploying vehicles away from sneak attack tunnel); deploy workers to move resources from the supply depot to the camo/stealthed mobile collection center

NOTE: Yes, workers are automatically stealthed while collecting supplies; I went ahead and stealthed them so I could send one over to build the booby trap without drawing attention to himself.

- as I collected more money I built a 3rd scud storm in my main base; I also built an arms dealer and baracks near the far eastern supply depot, then cranked out a collection of tanks/frogs/quadcals and moved up from the far eastern supply depot into his base ... using scud storms to wipe out his HQ and arms dealers

I was able to play through the entire mission without having to reload from a save point (though I did make a few save points during the early portions of the game - just in case).

Piece of cake! ;-)

+Quote Post
Guest_Vintorez_*
post 16 Jan 2013, 5:25
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Shadow @ 13 Aug 2011, 12:06) *
Hahaha I wrote out a massive intro/OP but my comp crashed when I posted it so I guess I missed the most obvious thing in the 2nd version.

I'm playing as Stealth gen.

Build 5 Scud Storms.

That's the only way I did it, after countless defeats.

Though there are a few players here who've done it without spamming superweapons. I believe that USA Bruce did it without using any super weapons.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 18:36