Jakato
post 15 Feb 2018, 15:32
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16473

I have a few guidelines for posting on this topic:

1) Battles should be fair. Fair means that either:
- The forces were evenly matched in terms of units (e.g. two tank blobs with arty support fought each other)
- The player with the weaker force had a decent chance to win (e.g. with stronger units, GP strikes to deploy). The average player should have a chance to win. A fight isn't fair just because the best player of a faction could micromanage their way through the fight.

Remember that it's easy to say that "player X just had to do Y" when you weren't in the game (or perhaps you are better with the faction so you know things they wouldn't have known)

2) You should give a rough outline of what units were involved and who won. Feel free to add more details. Feel free to share replays or videos.

3) You should mention whether your game was PvE (mention AI difficulty setting and game version) or PvP and whether the battle took place outside the player's bases or one player was defending their base.

Obviously PvE games can be very different since the Ai doesn't have human intelligence and its true strength is reflexes and cheat cash. However this cheat cash allows the AI to build up defenses and units that would be insanely hard to break.

I'll start things off with an example. Note that the stupidity of the targeting AI of individual units was a big part of the difficulty. Also I was trying the one super-weapon limit.

Version: 1.85
PvP/PvE: PvE
Number of players: 4 Players (2vs2)
AI Difficulty: Hard
Factions: ECA (Me) and ECA (AI) vs USA (AI) and USA (AI)
The Battle: Taking Down the US Main Base

I had three tank divisions with 6 Leopards, 2 Tank Destroyers, 3 Geopard, 2 Wotans and one Engineer Pandur each. There was a artillery division with 9 mortar tracks, 6 Claymores, 2 Wotans and 2 Engineer Pandurs.

A easy win, right?

The enemy had a at least 50 infantry (including lots of Javelin teams). There were a few Paladins and Crusaders but what really ruined my day was the choppers, defenses structures and GP powers.

Long story short, the US base was a maze of death. Defenses fired over buildings to tear my units apart. If my units stayed outside the base the AI Spectre Gunship and A10 Thunderbolt (Rank 3) killed them. I had to send my units into the death maze while my artillery division tried to soften the defenses. I had enough time for the Claymores to fire one barrage before they had to move or get killed by the GPs.

I lost half my forces (and most of my AA) by the time the US AI was taken down. Then the other US AI decided I was the biggest threat and used their A10 and Spectre to kill my remaining forces.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 15 Feb 2018, 15:39
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 15 Feb 2018, 16:16
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

QUOTE (Jakato @ 15 Feb 2018, 16:32) *
1) Battles should be fair. Fair means that either:
- The forces were evenly matched in terms of units (e.g. two tank blobs with arty support fought each other)
- The player with the weaker force had a decent chance to win (e.g. with stronger units, GP strikes to deploy). The average player should have a chance to win. A fight isn't fair just because the best player of a faction could micromanage their way through the fight.

Guess most PVP replays are rejected then :V

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 15 Feb 2018, 16:21
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 15 Feb 2018, 17:16) *
Guess most PVP replays are rejected then :V

If two pro/highly skilled players fight, the rule about "the average player being able to survive the fight" goes out the window.

I just don't want people to get all judgemental about each other's games. And I don't want people to post a roflstomp.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 15 Feb 2018, 16:23

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 15 Feb 2018, 16:24
Post #4

Group Icon

There's a Battle Reports section already for this purpose, what you did is make a thread without a replay - to what end tho?

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 15 Feb 2018, 19:08
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 15 Feb 2018, 17:24) *
There's a Battle Reports section already for this purpose, what you did is make a thread without a replay - to what end tho?

To be honest I forgot the Battle Reports section existed. If a moderator would like to move this thread, they may.

Also I figured "biggest battles in RotR" was a specific enough question for there to be a thread about it. The idea was people would not have to look through every battle report and online gameplay video. Players could mention their biggest battles here. They don't need to give as much detail as I did.

On a related note can PvE games even be posted in the Battle Reports section?

Not that I can post a PvE replay at this point, since my RotR is modded.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 15 Feb 2018, 19:12

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 15 Feb 2018, 22:01
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

most big big battles dont have a rep to post, as half the time the game dies

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 15 Feb 2018, 23:36
Post #7

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Member No.: 9941

One of the most intense battle I ever fought. Long and hard game. I find it quite interesting, since we both used our faction's theme (defensive for ECA, very aggressive for GLA)

This post has been edited by Maelstrom: 15 Feb 2018, 23:42

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 16 Feb 2018, 0:50
Post #8

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

https://youtu.be/3qwh-kkncRA

I believe you will find this game quiet entertaining tongue.gif
It's basically ECA artillery vs Russian Artillery with all of its explosive glory.

One of the most intense battle I ever fought. Long and hard game. I find it quite interesting, since we both used our faction's theme (defensive for ECA, very aggressive for GLA)

This game, and the first game we played where you were Russia and I was ECA on that desert map, The_Hunter was watching. It was the first time Munition bunkers were implemented, and you literally pushed me into a corner.
Those 2 games are the best played games on your part in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Mizo: 16 Feb 2018, 0:55

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 16 Feb 2018, 15:21
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Maelstrom @ 16 Feb 2018, 0:36) *

Wow that ending of the game was quite a plot twist. Three Tigers pushed you to call it quits. I kept thinking you'd kill Mizo with your huge armies but he kept clawing back.

If I ever get a PC that can run 1.87 I will steer clear of the GLA after seeing their power.

No offense Mizo but I think Maelstrom may have won if his Hooks didn't miss your Solar Reactor (think this was about halfway through the game, I watched it last night). If they were one meter further North I don't see how anyone could return from that. You wouldn't have even had room to rebuild.

QUOTE (Mizo @ 16 Feb 2018, 1:50) *
https://youtu.be/3qwh-kkncRA

I believe you will find this game quiet entertaining tongue.gif
It's basically ECA artillery vs Russian Artillery with all of its explosive glory.

This game, and the first game we played where you were Russia and I was ECA on that desert map, The_Hunter was watching. It was the first time Munition bunkers were implemented, and you literally pushed me into a corner.
Those 2 games are the best played games on your part in my opinion.

Holy forest of Telecom Towers.

I believe in some parallel universes you and Easy Army are still fighting that match to this day. If Easy Army didn't crash he would probably have to GG. You were heroically stubborn.

Also you showed the usefulness of the Claymore when you can predict where the enemy is going well enough.

From what I know of the ECA lore these two matches are a lot like the history of the ECA. The ECA gets blasted apart until it seems sure they will fall but they get back up.

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 16 Feb 2018, 17:00
Post #10

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Member No.: 9941

QUOTE (Jakato @ 16 Feb 2018, 15:21) *
Wow that ending of the game was quite a plot twist. Three Tigers pushed you to call it quits. I kept thinking you'd kill Mizo with your huge armies but he kept clawing back.

If I ever get a PC that can run 1.87 I will steer clear of the GLA after seeing their power.

No offense Mizo but I think Maelstrom may have won if his Hooks didn't miss your Solar Reactor (think this was about halfway through the game, I watched it last night). If they were one meter further North I don't see how anyone could return from that. You wouldn't have even had room to rebuild.

The only reason I lost was because I didn't see his last dozer escaping from my Hook rush. That gave him some critical time to rebuild, just at the edge of my sight radius.

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Feb 2018, 20:44
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (Jakato @ 15 Feb 2018, 16:32) *
<...>

I had three tank divisions with 6 Leopards, 2 Tank Destroyers, 3 Geopard, 2 Wotans and one Engineer Pandur each. There was a artillery division with 9 mortar tracks, 6 Claymores, 2 Wotans and 2 Engineer Pandurs.

A easy win, right?

The enemy had a at least 50 infantry (including lots of Javelin teams). There were a few Paladins and Crusaders but what really ruined my day was the choppers, defenses structures and GP powers.
<...>

Saw the title, right after we played this.
It was played on a 1.87 with a custom pvp-oriented patch just now, screens taken with ShareX so their quaility is subpar, using gentools ability to increase camera height during replays.

...welcome to VLate. happy.gif
https://i.imgur.com/aw2dyNB.jpg
https://imgur.com/yEt7GaJ
https://imgur.com/w3u1h9C
https://imgur.com/wJTfk5L

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 16 Feb 2018, 20:45

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 16 Feb 2018, 20:50
Post #12

Group Icon

I was the brown guy. Also - don't pick brown and maroon at the same time...

This post has been edited by Hanfield: 16 Feb 2018, 21:03

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Feb 2018, 21:00
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 16 Feb 2018, 21:50) *
I was the brown guy. Also - don't pick brown and red at the same time...

*Maroon.

Red would work allright, i guess...

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 16 Feb 2018, 22:25
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 16 Feb 2018, 21:44) *
It was played on a 1.87 with a custom pvp-oriented patch just now, screens taken with ShareX so their quaility is subpar, using gentools ability to increase camera height during replays.

It does look like you had less units on the field than I usually do, but you did have a gazillion factories to replace forces. Did you happen to assign factories to hotkeys and churn out endless units for a endless battle?

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 16 Feb 2018, 22:34
Post #15

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 16 Feb 2018, 20:44) *

Who were the players ?

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 16 Feb 2018, 22:38
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

QUOTE (Mizo @ 16 Feb 2018, 21:34) *
Who were the players ?

Kj + han v myself and arioluSs

double russia v eca + china

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 16 Feb 2018, 23:20
Post #17

Group Icon

7-10 factories are hardly a gazillion - the match ended at ~670k income for me and ~725k for Knjaz, they were necessary so as to not float

This post has been edited by Hanfield: 16 Feb 2018, 23:20

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 16 Feb 2018, 23:33
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 17 Feb 2018, 0:20) *
7-10 factories are hardly a gazillion - the match ended at ~670k income for me and ~725k for Knjaz, they were necessary so as to not float

Well over here in my private 1.85 PvE world that many factories is considered over the top. tongue.gif

What does "float" mean in that context? I thought it just meant you had a very comfortable amount of money, but now floating is some bad thing?

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Feb 2018, 23:43
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jakato @ 17 Feb 2018, 0:33) *
Well over here in my private 1.85 PvE world that many factories is considered over the top. tongue.gif

What does "float" mean in that context? I thought it just meant you had a very comfortable amount of money, but now floating is some bad thing?

Yes, in PVP it normally means a bad thing. Aka money sitting in your bank doing nothing to win you the game. Capabilities that you have but just refuse to use.

The actual numbers that are considered "float" differ, depending on the stage of the game and amount of cash player earns per certain amount of time. On those screenshots you see, 10k wouldn't; be considered as a high float - merely "operational" amount of cash needed to load your WFs with a one unit in a production per WF, while in first 5 minutes of 1v1, 5k+ would be considered as extremely high one.

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 16 Feb 2018, 23:45

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 16 Feb 2018, 23:59
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 17 Feb 2018, 0:43) *
Yes, in PVP it normally means a bad thing. Aka money sitting in your bank doing nothing to win you the game. Capabilities that you have but just refuse to use.

The actual numbers that are considered "float" differ, depending on the stage of the game and amount of cash player earns per certain amount of time. On those screenshots you see, 10k wouldn't; be considered as a high float - merely "operational" amount of cash needed to load your WFs with a one unit in a production per WF, while in first 5 minutes of 1v1, 5k+ would be considered as extremely high one.

I thought that at the scale of that game a bit of float may be a good thing to avoid a crash from too many units.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 17 Feb 2018, 0:00

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 17 Feb 2018, 0:06
Post #21

Group Icon

That "crash" can be avoided by simply converting money into units, not by having untapped money

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 17 Feb 2018, 0:18
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 17 Feb 2018, 1:06) *
That "crash" can be avoided by simply converting money into units, not by having untapped money

So basically you have to build a stream of units to avoid crashing the game by giving a super-blob an attack-move order?

Who and what actually won that game?

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 17 Feb 2018, 0:24
Post #23

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (Jakato @ 17 Feb 2018, 2:18) *
So basically you have to build a stream of units to avoid crashing the game by giving a super-blob an attack-move order?

Who and what actually won that game?

Im gonna throw a wild guess and say missmatch

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 17 Feb 2018, 0:29
Post #24

Group Icon

Me and Knjaz won, but it took a lot of sec eco spam and one unfortified flank that Skitt hadn't reached yet to gut it all

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 17 Feb 2018, 0:51
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 17 Feb 2018, 1:29) *
Me and Knjaz won, but it took a lot of sec eco spam and one unfortified flank that Skitt hadn't reached yet to gut it all

Nicely done for finding that weakness. I do feel a bit bad for Skitt though. Then again I'm guessing without that weak flank things would have gone on until the game or your minds broke.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 22:59