Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Art of European Conflict Part 2
mbob61
post 7 Mar 2010, 18:27
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

So, you know that little "part one" bit at the beginning of the last update? This is part two, and I'm here to give you a more detailed look on a unit we've gotten a lot of questions about. The MASS, the WEA's epic unit, is actually one of the most interesting units in the game at the moment, in my personal opinion, and undoubtably one of the more versatile. However, it's also gone through a lot of changes, only the most minor of which the public has seen. Now, I've got permission to give you guys a little more information on the development of the Massive Aerial Strike System, alongside some fresh concepts and renders from Camille, the man who's been tweaking this unit since it's first concept. And that's quite a long time.

This is, believe it or not, the first concept for the MASS. Camille drew it more than a year ago (if I remember correctly), and the design stuck with us for a while. Heavily "steampunk" influenced, the idea of a blimp as the WEA's epic unit has been in our internal documents ever since the first concept, and for a reason. If you ask me, it's pretty damn cool. While the idea didn't end up sticking around, it was definitely a good one, just not one that worked with the design philosophy we ended up embracing for the WEA. Still: who can deny the sheer awesomeness of being about to destroy your enemies with howitzers fired from an armoured blimp?

This was a concept for the current MASS. It's more or less the same design as the currently in game version, and quite frankly, is pretty damn cool. While the current design has scrapped the old plans we had for the vehicle (it was originally going to be surrounded by a field of drones, protecting it and acting as it's main offensive weapon) due to engine limitations, the new system is a unique addition to ZH. Now, when the MASS drops it's bomblets, they arm themselves on the ground. If an enemy can damage them fast enough, the bomblets explode only with a minimal charge, just enough to do a little damage. If they aren't destroyed, however, the "Singularity charge" in the weapon detonates, doing a... rather large... amount of damage, a mechanic we're quite happy with.

Lots of mods have custom splashscreens, and this was (and still is) a serious consideration for European Conflict. Because of all the design iterations that the MASS has gone through, we have a lot of unused models for it, and some of them might just be seen in the games splash screen. Ya never know...

Speaking of unused models, this and the two renders after, are all the different versions of the MASS. This layout makes it easy to see the progression from a heavily armoured, steampunk styled blimp, into the lightweight, high-tech support system currently in game.

EC Team Signing out.

--------------------
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 7 Mar 2010, 19:13
Post #2

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Very nice artwork biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ComeOn
post 7 Mar 2010, 21:10
Post #3

OH, F***!
Group Icon

Member No.: 295
Inferno shells, anyone? ;)

*drools

--------------------
Hello, comrades.
Before I start, I must ask one question: how do you think battles are won? If you answered "It just take a lot of men", then I may suggest you to leave the academy. Why will I say that? It is because battles are not won just by simply shooting down your enemies: it also takes emotions to fight a battle. Hope, courage, pride, honor, love: these are the main emotions that it takes to win a battle. Yes, your equipment, your skills, and your genetics are very important, but it all boils down to one thing: Do you have the WILL to fight?
Class is dismissed.
WARNING: Watching this may result in losing your manliness.

Yep: I'm a rusty sword. VERY rusty. :/

+Quote Post
Raven
post 8 Mar 2010, 21:21
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 155

as i said on fallout, its brilliant.....very nice tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27 April 2024 - 9:34