IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Assigning troops to a certain personnel carrier(or any another vehicle with such capabilities)
rpe4huk
post 17 May 2017, 14:15
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10340

I think that'd be a nice small addition to this mod, 'cause vanilla Generals doesn't feature one. How's it supposed to work? You select a bunch of infantry and assign them to a certain vehicle using a keyboard shortcut(alt+click for example) After that, you select a vehicle and there should be a button 'Get assigned troops in/out of the vehicle'
I think everyone once thought about a feature like this. It's not hard to realize that feature and it will also make a game easier.

This post has been edited by rpe4huk: 17 May 2017, 14:16
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 17 May 2017, 14:25
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

SAGE says no.

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 17 May 2017, 14:49
Post #3

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

A feture/button that tells infantry to exit or enter a predetermined transport?

Yeah this sounds like WIC or and End war feture that the engine simply cannot preform.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 17 May 2017, 14:59
Post #4

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (rpe4huk @ 17 May 2017, 21:15) *
It's not hard to realize that feature and it will also make a game easier.

Is is actually very hard, in fact, it's impossible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 17 May 2017, 15:35
Post #5

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

There may be a confusion here on what modding a game means - we cannot program this game, therefore we cannot actually add entirely new features that the game simply cannot perform. Your example is one of those things. What we can do with modding is limited to the things the game can already do, just in creative ways the game was never intended to do but regardless can do anyway due to quirks that are already present.

To give an analogy, modding and programming are like making food, say a cake. Modding ("coding", "scripting") is collecting all the material you need to make the cake. "Programming", on the other hand, is then writing the steps of the recipe leading to the cake you want to have and make the game, as it were, follow it. By this measure, we can only collect all kinds of different material, but regardless we have to follow the recipe to matter what, which means we have to try and match our material with the recipe presented to create a good cake, otherwise it will not work out.

If we wanted to implement such a thing as what you suggested (and btw, suggestions are not wanted, so please read the rules), it would require the source code of the game so we can change it on a more fundamental level, i.e. following the analogy, "be able to rewrite the recipe".

+Quote Post
rpe4huk
post 17 May 2017, 15:48
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10340

QUOTE (SoraZ @ 17 May 2017, 15:35) *
There may be a confusion here on what modding a game means - we cannot program this game, therefore we cannot actually add entirely new features that the game simply cannot perform. Your example is one of those things. What we can do with modding is limited to the things the game can already do, just in creative ways the game was never intended to do but regardless can do anyway due to quirks that are already present.

To give an analogy, modding and programming are like making food, say a cake. Modding ("coding", "scripting") is collecting all the material you need to make the cake. "Programming", on the other hand, is then writing the steps of the recipe leading to the cake you want to have and make the game, as it were, follow it. By this measure, we can only collect all kinds of different material, but regardless we have to follow the recipe to matter what, which means we have to try and match our material with the recipe presented to create a good cake, otherwise it will not work out.

If we wanted to implement such a thing as what you suggested (and btw, suggestions are not wanted, so please read the rules), it would require the source code of the game so we can change it on a more fundamental level, i.e. following the analogy, "be able to rewrite the recipe".

Okay, thanks for the information.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 6:24