Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ship capturing and collision damage
Casojin
post 18 Jul 2011, 7:58
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 222

When PtV implemented the ship collision damage, I quite like it (as it makes the game more realistic). However, often times I found it to be irritating, especially when I tried to capture enemy ships. I'm not sure whether there is a way to fix it without removing the collision script.

Here are what I found regarding capturing and collision.

- Needleship and Avatar are very hard to capture with Outlaw (I have to use Thief instead) as they rammed into an invisible ship boundary when locking onto those ships
- AI seems to be using Infiltrator Frigate very effectively while human seems to have problem using it against AI (they would roll the ship around and my Infiltrator Frigate would fail to lock on them)
- Any boarding vessel that needs to attach itself on enemy ship hull often blows itself up
- A collision with cloaked vessel is deadly (my frigates rammed into a cloaked Hiigaran cruiser and were blown to pieces)

Maybe a way to fix this collision capturing is to reduce the capture frigate collision boundary (since the problem seems to associate itself with frigate more than corvette).

--------------------
CASOJIN

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryuseimaru
post 19 Jul 2011, 17:55
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
From: Here. Or there. Where I'll ever be...as in over there. Or even here, who knows?
Member No.: 1372

All of these problems have been seen before and mololu said, he tried his best...but somehow they're still in.
It seems to be the work of more than just one routine...I think it is accelaration/decelleration/inertia of the CaptureFrigs, together with the collision damage system, but there might be more to it.

- The problem mostly turns up when capturing the Avatar and the Needles, yes, but that's about it.
- the "Rolling around each other" happens because the ship you try to capture tries to get in a shooting angle to the capture ship. Most human players don't notice it right away when the AI is captureing their ships, while the AI is always everywhere being one with your computer and all.
- Collision with cloaked ships, huh? Funny thing...makes me wanna fly a cloaked ship into an enemy fleet. Just too funny to NOT stay in. wink.gif

--------------------
When I'm good...
I'm very good.

But when I'm bad...
I'm even better!

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 20 Jul 2011, 2:35
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ryuseimaru @ 19 Jul 2011, 23:55) *
- Collision with cloaked ships, huh? Funny thing...makes me wanna fly a cloaked ship into an enemy fleet. Just too funny to NOT stay in. wink.gif

My 2 Outlaws collided into a cloaked Hiigaran Cruiser (which belonged to a Vaygr due to capture) when I tried to capture my captured Enforcer (which was a short distance away from the cloaked Cruiser) back from the Vaygr. The Outlaws were blown to pieces while the Hiigaran Cruiser decloaked with red health.

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
Ryuseimaru
post 20 Jul 2011, 18:23
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
From: Here. Or there. Where I'll ever be...as in over there. Or even here, who knows?
Member No.: 1372

As I said, a rather funny coincidence and the chance that this could actually happen in a PvP game is highly unlikely.

--------------------
When I'm good...
I'm very good.

But when I'm bad...
I'm even better!

+Quote Post
MoLoLu
post 26 Jul 2011, 7:26
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1369

On noes xD

Yeah, this is a real issue, I know.

My new movement speed model doesn't help either as it completely screws over HW2's colision system. I like the idea of reducing the capture frigate's collision boundary but the problem is the frigate's bounding mixing with the target ship's bounding which is only calculated something like every 1/10th of a second, whereas movement calculation is constant.

The only option is to reduce speeds or remove collision damage, both of which kinda remove somewhat nifty elements of chaos which are predominant in PTV. Wish I had a better solution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 26 Jul 2011, 10:32
Post #6

Group Icon

Hmm....what about giving the Capture Frigate better deceleration speed?

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
MoLoLu
post 27 Jul 2011, 7:23
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1369

It has an insanely high decelleration. Putting it any higher would look incredibly unnatural, though it may solve the problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 27 Jul 2011, 16:08
Post #8

Group Icon

Also, AI pathfinding is another problem too. Sometimes, the capture frigate wanted to attach itself on the other side but it ran through the target ship instead of going around.

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 12:45