IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fighting Leang's Challenge as Kwai is the Anti-Lulz, God damn this map.
Jaimas
post 19 Jun 2013, 2:41
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 401

So recently, I've been playing the newest release of Shockwave, and decided to give Kwai a go. Because Tanks. After roundly schooling Thrax and Granger, however, I ran headfirst into a major problem: Leang.

I've beaten the Hard Mode campaign with multiple generals: Deathstrike, Tao, Ironside, and more.

Analytically, I don't think this map is even possible with Kwai:

* If you fight defensively, you can potentially offline her Earthshaker pretty fluidly, and, for the most part, keep your little corner of the map safe - provided you cram your buildings together as close as possible. Unfortunately, due to Kwai's complete lack of artillery, you have no way to retaliate against artillery spam (which Leang will commence), and, due to the fact that Leang generally keeps a Sentinel Cannon and multiple Gattling Tanks and Listening Posts guarding the area directly to the north means that using aircraft, in general, won't work.

* If you try an armored push, it fails. It will always fail, because the terrain in this level is akin to a biblical plague in how horrible it is. You have to drive up narrow defiles - bad enough - that are protected by Bunkers that will habitually fail to be effected by garrison-clearing weapons. Occasionally, you fight past the bunkers, the units she has scattered around, only to be hit repeatedly by artillery platforms, and then a few swarms of Blacksharks.

How the hell do you beat this map as Kwai? Historically, there's some secret to beating everyone with every general; I remember that for Salvage GLA, the secret was carefully-placed Gadflies and HiPs for those annoying artillery vehicles (the HiP would not survive the one-way trip, but it'd kill the artillery). As Ironside, it heavily was focused on using Black Widows and cruise missile strikes. Does anyone have any advice for beating this godlessly infuriating challenge?

This post has been edited by Jaimas: 19 Jun 2013, 2:47
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 19 Jun 2013, 4:23
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 9942

If you feel quite weak in the first part then create your secondary economy first then do what Kwai does best; mindless bashing.

Or if you want, create a team of MiGs for anti-arty for Pete's sake.

--------------------
"The biggest problem of humanity is that it sees the failures first before the successes."

+Quote Post
Arcus2611
post 19 Jun 2013, 6:09
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9889

I haven't attempted Leang's challenge as Kwai yet, but...

You said the bunkers can't be cleared (what?) If garrison clearing really doesn't work, have you tried just razing them with bombers? Leang's infantry have no anti air.

Capture a Leang warfactory or the abandoned Leang command center. Buratinos are glitched but you might be able to get Grinder cannons, so you at least have some sort of artillery if you really need it.

Blacksharks and anything else that flies will die to massed gat tanks.

Try building more tanks if your tank rushes fail.

If you can disable a large enough section of her AA defences then you can drop some Emperors in the middle of her airfields and call it a day. I did that with some Tao Devastators and demolished the rest of her base pretty fast. I probably wouldn't have needed to though except for some stupid glitch that caused any units passing through a certain chokepoint to take WTF damage from some invisible source and die.

Once you get past the area with the large chinese character (said chokepoint) your ground forces should steamroll Leang's base, especially considering that you're Kwai. Leang's arty is good but outside of that her ground forces are nothing impressive (except maybe the adv dragon tank). I find Juzhiz more annoying because of his strong arty and ground forces.

This post has been edited by Arcus2611: 19 Jun 2013, 6:17

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 20 Jun 2013, 13:00
Post #4

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

This isnt a really helpfull post but I forgot about generals challenge in shockwave so I'll be replaying the entire challenge on hard with tank general and then repost when I get to leang

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arcus2611
post 20 Jun 2013, 17:46
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9889

About the bunkers: Use a transport helix to drop a dragon tank behind the bunker and clear it out. Don't know why it can't cleared out from below but the bunkers should be vulnerable from the rear.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 18:41