IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why the Hell are you not running windows 7 yet?
Chyros
post 10 Jun 2009, 9:44
Post #51

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19
Projects: ShockWave Tester
In birro veritas.

Last time I ordered a computer, I specifically asked to have XP installed on it, as opposed to the then standard Vista. So next time, I should ask for win7?

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prophet of the P...
post 10 Jun 2009, 10:25
Post #52

Don't Piss him off.
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 12
Projects: SWR Tester
Hookah Addict

if you have an IQ of more then a Tomato then YES.

XP is a security nightmare and the way i have setup windows 7 (Separate admin account from the daily use account), Its almost bullet proof. Might i even say as secure as Linux.

--------------------
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 10 Jun 2009, 10:54
Post #53

Group Icon

Member No.: 70
Paladin of Steel

QUOTE (Prophet of the Pimps @ 10 Jun 2009, 8:25) *

XP is a security nightmare and the way i have setup windows 7 (Separate admin account from the daily use account), Its almost bullet proof. Might i even say as secure as Linux.

You got some more info on that? Because if you can really make it less of a security risk that previous OSes I might switch over.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 10 Jun 2009, 11:09
Post #54

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

Windoze needs sudo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 10 Jun 2009, 11:57
Post #55

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

SUDO Kill? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
blowthebullet
post 10 Jun 2009, 13:56
Post #56

Teh ServerSlap
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 5
Projects: Server Admin

QUOTE (Prophet of the Pimps @ 10 Jun 2009, 8:25) *

Hooo, just give me a sec tongue.gif. It's just the same security as windows vista, and yes you can disable it as well WIKI. Linux has a good filesystem with user permissions in it. No other than the root can edit system files and folders biggrin.gif. if you add a user in linux you can give him premissions by calling the command: chown like
chown -R user:usergroup /home/thismap WIKI FILE PERMISSIONS

Microsoft must learn so much from linux and macosx because:
1. The security sucks, it is already hackt and its just a modified version of windows vista security.
2. The user must have no contact with security isue's or controlpanels, when install a program enter your root password. when the program must have acces to the windows core ask for the root password with a warning of trojan etc... (just simple

Instead of building it in the IO system like a new NTFS they build a extra service :S, you can easy disable a service if you were a hacker so security will fail ....

--------------------
"If Microsoft, 20 years ago, built Windows in an open way, Linux wouldn't exist, and millions of programmers would be improving Windows rather than competing with it." Keith Curtis

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 10 Jun 2009, 15:12
Post #57

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

QUOTE (oo6red @ 10 Jun 2009, 7:13) *
I don't ever run OS versions that aren't final...and I only have one machine now anyway...

That's what you should be doing if you only do have one machine.

QUOTE (blowthebullet @ 10 Jun 2009, 12:56) *
Hooo, just give me a sec tongue.gif. It's just the same security as windows vista, and yes you can disable it as well WIKI. Linux has a good filesystem with user permissions in it. No other than the root can edit system files and folders biggrin.gif. if you add a user in linux you can give him premissions by calling the command: chown like
chown -R user:usergroup /home/thismap WIKI FILE PERMISSIONS

Microsoft must learn so much from linux and macosx because:
1. The security sucks, it is already hackt and its just a modified version of windows vista security.
2. The user must have no contact with security isue's or controlpanels, when install a program enter your root password. when the program must have acces to the windows core ask for the root password with a warning of trojan etc... (just simple

Instead of building it in the IO system like a new NTFS they build a extra service :S, you can easy disable a service if you were a hacker so security will fail ....

Indeed, Linux is mighty useful. If only more software was optimized for it. I would replace Windows completely with it. That said Windows 7 is a great user experience and I've never had security issues myself since I switched to the Vista kernel.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 11 Jun 2009, 6:26
Post #58

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

QUOTE (Thez @ 7 Jun 2009, 15:50) *
XP works fine so far, why fix what ain't broke.
When it does break and I have an excuse for an overhaul, I'll get it.
Till then I can't really be arsed to do it just yet.

My thoughts exactly.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Prophet of the P...
post 12 Jun 2009, 13:16
Post #59

Don't Piss him off.
Group Icon

Hookah Addict

QUOTE (Alias @ 10 Jun 2009, 12:39) *
Windoze needs sudo.

Thats exactly what i have. The UAC is the best thing ever when clubbed with a Admin account
i have been meaning to write a whole detailed article on it but havent found the time.

But the basics are

create an password protected admin account
demote your everyday account to standard user account
UAC prompts up when a file install needs to be done. Keeps your computer safe because you don't need a password prompt for opening "Britney nude.jpg.exe". Basically gives people 3 more second to consider their stupidity.

hell i get less admin prompts in 7 then i do in ubuntu.

As long as you run your windows 7 PC on the same principle that ubuntu does then you will have bullet proof PC.

also you have the same exact file permission option like you have in linux so thats no longer a big point. people just need to know how to configure it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Xv-
post 12 Jun 2009, 13:59
Post #60

OOoohh Titelz
Group Icon

Member No.: 27

Yeah so, I just got a ne hard drive, freshly formatted, so I thoguht I'd have a dual boot machine with XP Pro and Win 7, guess what -> Win7 wont install on the new hard drive saying something about it being a dynamic hard drive. It doesn't matter if I have it allocated or not formatted or not formatted... Go Win 7! You are awesome!

HD is a WD Caviar Black, 640 gig.

This post has been edited by -Xv-: 12 Jun 2009, 13:59

--------------------
LoLWuT

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 12 Jun 2009, 15:02
Post #61

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

QUOTE (-Xv- @ 12 Jun 2009, 10:59) *
Yeah so, I just got a ne hard drive, freshly formatted, so I thoguht I'd have a dual boot machine with XP Pro and Win 7, guess what -> Win7 wont install on the new hard drive saying something about it being a dynamic hard drive. It doesn't matter if I have it allocated or not formatted or not formatted... Go Win 7! You are awesome!

HD is a WD Caviar Black, 640 gig.

And Microsoft boast it to be the most compatible OS with any hardware tongue.gif
Suppose it is still in the testing stages though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prophet of the P...
post 12 Jun 2009, 18:06
Post #62

Don't Piss him off.
Group Icon

Hookah Addict

i have configured over 11 computers with windows 7 and only one that was a sony vaio had a hardware problem. the rest have been flawless. Have you tried partitioning it using the built in tools?

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Xv-
post 13 Jun 2009, 2:12
Post #63

OOoohh Titelz
Group Icon

Yeah so, I just got another HD, (Seagate barracuda) 250 gig, more suited size for being an OS drive, but its only an 8mb cache and a shitload slower then the caviar :/.. Its installing as I'm typing this

--------------------
LoLWuT

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 13 Jun 2009, 5:47
Post #64

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/hardware...ic_dynamic.html

I found this and wondered why is your drive dynamic in the first place? Format it all over again and keep it basic.

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 13 Jun 2009, 14:49
Post #65

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

A normal person would hardly need a dynamic HD.

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Xv-
post 14 Jun 2009, 2:12
Post #66

OOoohh Titelz
Group Icon

Well explain to me how a freshly bought, never before used HD, and freshly formatted would be a dynamic HD. And I did reformat it several times. Cuz Idk, and disk management doesn't say its dynamic. and it installed on the Seagate np :/

Anyways, its basically Vista, yay.... I hated is interface in the first place, or maybe I'm just too used to XP. I'll switch when I put my new rig together later on in the summer, but mainly because of dx10/11 :/ Good call Microsoft.

This post has been edited by -Xv-: 14 Jun 2009, 2:14

--------------------
LoLWuT

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 14 Jun 2009, 16:19
Post #67

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

You could always return the disk if it still has warranty, and explain them your problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nix
post 16 Jun 2009, 7:22
Post #68

Group Icon

Member No.: 78

It's funny really. The biggest problem that windows has always had regarding security is not that it's super buggy, but rather, it's default settings have generally sucked.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 16 Jun 2009, 11:47
Post #69

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

QUOTE (Nix @ 16 Jun 2009, 4:22) *
It's funny really. The biggest problem that windows has always had regarding security is not that it's super buggy, but rather, it's default settings have generally sucked.

Windows is actually the most secure. For example, Windows Live One Care is one of the best protection programs out there. Vista was set up to be far too secure where it wasn't needed.
I can say these problems have been fixed in Windows 7

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:22
Post #70

Group Icon

Member No.: 167

ive been thru xp, vista, and now windows 7 in less than a year and so far im not regretting it. imo its more stable than vista ever will be and its still in beta very sad. also, cant wait to see what gaming companies do with directX 11 considering the max settings for Crysis were only for 10 which kinda sucked since it was on such a faulty OS

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:24
Post #71

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 16 Jun 2009, 11:22) *
ive been thru xp, vista, and now windows 7 in less than a year and so far im not regretting it. imo its more stable than vista ever will be and its still in beta very sad. also, cant wait to see what gaming companies do with directX 11 considering the max settings for Crysis were only for 10 which kinda sucked since it was on such a faulty OS

If Vista is such a faulty OS, might you wanna explain to me why I have run it flawlessly for years on a row now? I got a lecture for all your Vista haters I'm gonna dig up soon if this continues tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:34
Post #72

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (Crazykenny @ 16 Jun 2009, 19:24) *
If Vista is such a faulty OS, might you wanna explain to me why I have run it flawlessly for years on a row now? I got a lecture for all your Vista haters I'm gonna dig up soon if this continues tongue.gif
Because you're too blind to see the problems...
/argument

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:48
Post #73

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

QUOTE (Alias @ 16 Jun 2009, 11:34) *
Because you're too blind to see the problems...
/argument

Or you.

EDIT: Before you read this, take into account I didnt only test Windows operating systems but MAC OSX and Linux (Ubuntu) aswell.

I beta-test operating systems on occasion, so I dare say I know as much as you, or maybe even more. That aside, I've tested Vista inside out before I even thought about installing it on my own rig, its far more stable as XP as far as I'm concerned, I've modded both OS's but XP was more prone into giving blue-screens or other software related errors, Vista was not.

I agree that Vista is quite system-hogging, but considering what kinda hardware is on the market today that shouldnt be to much of a problem. By this I don't immediately wanna say Windows XP is bad, no completely the opposite, its good and runs well on pretty much all computers.

The reason why Vista really wins my heart is, yeah how stupid it may sound, DirectX10, I'm a gamer and I do spot every little detail. I know people have made mods for XP so it supports DirectX10, but its not the same.

The close this all off: XP is a old OS and Vista is infact a step forward (even with some of the bugs). Besides you cant stick with Windows XP forever. Infact how did you think things where like when Windows 98 was everything and all of a sudden M$ brought XP on the market, people where sceptic aswell back then, its totally understandable. Afraid of the unknown maybe? tounge.gif

But in the end, its a opinion, if you like XP better then its fine by me.

Just my 2 cents on this.

This post has been edited by Crazykenny: 16 Jun 2009, 13:53

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 16 Jun 2009, 13:57
Post #74

Group Icon

Member No.: 167

i gave it blue screen of death upon first use, it constantly ran my cores at around 50% and my ram above 80% and that was just ideling, almost all my games kept getting minimized when started up and would not stop upon maximizing over and over again the only way to fix this was to edit the properties of each game, and i plugged an ethernet cord into my friends computer running vista when he went to bridge the connections another blue screen. were as now my computer ideling is running very happy at around 1-2% core usage and 30% ram it makes my computer smile. and thats all i have to say were as this could get very off topic and lead itself to the loony bin.

so back to the topic...(zombie voice)you must run on windows 7

+Quote Post
Crazykenny
post 16 Jun 2009, 14:32
Post #75

Group Icon

Paladin of Steel

Then its you hardware that is lacking, not the OS. Vista loves to have more then 2GB of RAM and a Quad-Core.

EDIT: Here is a screen of my weaker systems running a PC Wizard Benchmark whilest having WMP running a 7.6GB music album. This all done on Windows Vista 64x. Like I said if you got a rig from 2007-2009 Vista wont be a problem and you could enjoy it properly. I do know Vista is more prone giving bluescreens whilest being run on older hardware.

This post has been edited by Crazykenny: 16 Jun 2009, 15:48

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 10:04