The_Hunter
post 19 Jul 2014, 19:34
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

The history of the GLA's technical achievements has always been one of trial and error: The lack of advanced technology and an actual industrial basis called for a greater emphasis on improvisation, as evidenced by the organisation's arsenal of combat vehicles, some of which such as the Marauder tank were literally designed and manufactured from scratch using construction vehicles as the basic platform for heavy weapon carriers and a jury-rigged combination of television screens, consumer-grade cameras and game pads as fire control systems for guns that were often little more than metal pipes. Despite being one of the personal creations of White Falcon Cell's leader Abdul bin Yusuuf, the Demo Track trap-laying vehicle proved to be less successful due to its lack of agility and reliance on heavy machinery which was often hard to come by. As a result, the vehicle eventually disappeared from service in favour of the Demo Truck, which was essentially just a civilian pickup truck that was not converted into a Technical for once, but a bomb carrier. The Demo Truck sacrifices the mine clearing plows of its heavier predecessor for a greater level of mobility while its function remains the same: Assembling high-explosive barrel bombs while on the move and quickly deploying them wherever an enemy patrol might be expected to pass through.

Even though the Global War On Terror between the GLA and the Sino-American alliance officially began with the nuclear attack on Beijing in October 2019, most historians do regard the conflict as a mere continuation of the many regional brushfire wars involving Middle Eastern fundamentalist groups that started after the turn of the millennium, albeit on a much larger scale. One incident of note was the infamous 'Dubai Rampage' which occured in 2017. During that time, the countries on the Arabian Peninsula were caught in a guerilla war with the so-called Brotherhood of the White Falcon, one of the most staunchly fundamentalist and violent terrorist groups in the entire Middle East. Led by a former Saudi cleric by the name Abdul bin Yusuuf, the Brotherhood sought to topple the local governments which were regarded as corrupt puppets of the United States and foreign business interests. In one of the group's most callous acts of violence, a heavily armed terrorist commando used a custom-modified armoured bus to speed through the business district of Dubai, spraying down everyone in sight with a hail of rocket propelled grenades and machine gun fire and leaving several hundred innocents injured or dead until their rampage was put to an end by the military. In an effort to maintain control of the region, the United States subsequently increased their armed presence and deployed a Brigade Combat Team to protect the city of Dubai against future attacks, many of which occured during the war that followed soon after. At the same time, the local militaries embarked on a massive crackdown campaign against the Brotherhood, forcing Yusuuf and his followers to flee the Middle East and seek shelter in the troubled, borderline failed states of Central Asia. Eventually, his journey led him to Kazakhstan where he met a local Warlord by the name of Mohmar, whose so-called Global Liberation Army, a growing guerilla movement comprised of tribal militia, disgruntled soldiers, violent thugs and fellow fundamentalists, had recently declared its own personal war on the local government - and the rest, as they say, is history.

As always, we would like to remind all of you out there that there will be another stream on this Sunday:

Countdown until the stream starts

Also, in case you missed last week's stream, you can check it out on our Youtube channel here

Furthermore, we are curious to see what kind of stream promo picture you prefer more - Renders like the one above or screenshots like we did a while back. You can cast your vote here on Straw Poll

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 19 Jul 2014, 19:45
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10025

Why using the derpy and stupid Generals 2 design?

Ah but the quality is still high and its my dislike and hate of terrorism.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 19 Jul 2014, 20:05
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10072

I dont get it.. What is so stupid about those designs? They look what they need to look, and they are awesome

This post has been edited by Oliver: 19 Jul 2014, 20:06

+Quote Post
Planardweller
post 19 Jul 2014, 20:31
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9425

I don't see the point for timers on all explosives considering that detonators have wires going inside the cabin. And those metal plates on frontal windows are just bad. Variant 2 among demo technical is the most adequate to me.

There are lots of cool little things like those chains holding the barrels and cabels and of course the "beep beep" plate (can't discern the other one).

Busses are so-so, but my nitpicks would be a tire on the front of Variant 1 and general lack of visual armoring. Those small plates look like ducttape to be honest.

This post has been edited by Planardweller: 19 Jul 2014, 20:36

+Quote Post
Umpfelgrumpf
post 19 Jul 2014, 21:16
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 10149

I love that you make different variants of all the GLA vehicles, it fits great to their faction design and lore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thelord444
post 19 Jul 2014, 22:17
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9986

Awesome models! another reason to love the GLA.

--------------------
"He who heard is not like he who saw"

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 20 Jul 2014, 4:17
Post #7

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

The GLA, the most badass homebrew faction we love. Comes with more badass variants. All with patch metal. Because who doesn't love patch metal on a make-do faction? Also with bullet holes. Because the Zone is so violent, they are more likely than not to have salvaged chassis with bullet holes, or have a lot of glass windows with bullet holes.

Is the Demo Technical weaker than the Demo Track when it comes to damage?

The battle buses actually have spare tires, cool. Just when the enemy bursts one of your tires, you can change it when idle.

This post has been edited by Bergzak: 20 Jul 2014, 4:42

+Quote Post
Claine
post 20 Jul 2014, 5:37
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 8902

damn nice ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emin96
post 20 Jul 2014, 8:47
Post #9

CHINA MAIN
Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 10145
ROTR Italian Translator

good job swr.the models looks awesome biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spejjarn
post 20 Jul 2014, 10:21
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 19 Jul 2014, 20:45) *
Ah but the quality is still high and its my dislike and hate of terrorism.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 20 Jul 2014, 10:29
Post #11

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Pretty sure nobody actually thinks the GLA are freedom fighters anymore.

Well, besides themselves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jam Hacker
post 20 Jul 2014, 14:55
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 10272

i was thinking fire truck converted toxin tractor tongue.gif

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 20 Jul 2014, 15:15
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 10319

I just hope the Demo Trucks explode more violently with their additional explosives...

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 20 Jul 2014, 19:57
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

QUOTE (teslashark @ 20 Jul 2014, 16:15) *
I just hope the Demo Trucks explode more violently with their additional explosives...

They do.

If you drop the demotrap and suicide them then they will explode with 65% less punch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tankdestroyer642
post 20 Jul 2014, 21:21
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 9563

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 20 Jul 2014, 19:57) *
They do.

If you drop the demotrap and suicide them then they will explode with 65% less punch.

Thats actually a cool feature av-7.gif

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 28 Jul 2014, 10:49
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (Planardweller @ 19 Jul 2014, 22:31) *
I don't see the point for timers on all explosives considering that detonators have wires going inside the cabin. And those metal plates on frontal windows are just bad. Variant 2 among demo technical is the most adequate to me.

Because those explosives can be dropped and turned into demo-traps?

+Quote Post
Planardweller
post 28 Jul 2014, 11:21
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 9425

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 28 Jul 2014, 12:49) *
Because those explosives can be dropped and turned into demo-traps?

it is a great feature for the vehicle, but i still maintain that visually the frontal barrel, those TNT stick-packs on sides and a strange box on the hood look ridiculous. The barrels in the cargo hold and on the top on the otherhand look okay to me.

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 28 Jul 2014, 19:49
Post #18

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Planardweller @ 28 Jul 2014, 6:21) *
it is a great feature for the vehicle, but i still maintain that visually the frontal barrel, those TNT stick-packs on sides and a strange box on the hood look ridiculous. The barrels in the cargo hold and on the top on the otherhand look okay to me.

It's the GLA. They are supposed to look ridiculous. Would you sacrifice explosive power just for looks?

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
PiratesYarrr
post 28 Jul 2014, 21:38
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9244

I do allow myself a pained grin at the level of pedantic nit-picking over a faction with a whole vehicle roster of ramshackle "Madmax meets Isis" junkheaps

--------------------
Victorus aut Mortis!

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 28 Jul 2014, 22:14
Post #20

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

The GLA are obviously Da Orks equivalent of Generals.

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 28 Jul 2014, 22:22
Post #21

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (PiratesYarrr @ 28 Jul 2014, 15:38) *
I do allow myself a pained grin at the level of pedantic nit-picking over a faction with a whole vehicle roster of ramshackle "Madmax meets Isis" junkheaps

Every comment you make always puts a smile in my face. The voice of reason, so to speak. biggrin.gif

Remind me to buy you a beer.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 29 Jul 2014, 2:01
Post #22

That person
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

The metal panels directly over the windows do look silly though. How did they manage to drill screws or hammer nails into the glass without breaking it? Also, wouldn't it make them completely useless if the glass shattered?

Either replace them with the iron bars found in Var3, remove the panels, or make the panels cover the whole window.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 29 Jul 2014, 3:32
Post #23

The X General
Group Icon

Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (Generalcamo @ 29 Jul 2014, 9:01) *
The metal panels directly over the windows do look silly though. How did they manage to drill screws or hammer nails into the glass without breaking it? Also, wouldn't it make them completely useless if the glass shattered?

Notice how all the panels are placed in such a way that their corners touch the frame of the windshield and are not just cenetered on the glass? It means that they are probably also welded to the windshield frame and therefore won't fall off even when the glass breaks (this is further supported by the fact that some panels don't even have bolts, only holes). Also, if they really wanted to, they could simply attach something behind the windshield for the panels to bolt on to (like the bars on variant 3).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neo3602
post 29 Jul 2014, 4:34
Post #24

Secure, Contain, Protect
Group Icon

Member No.: 9992

QUOTE (SoraZ @ 28 Jul 2014, 15:14) *
The GLA are obviously Da Orks equivalent of Generals.

Now we just need a rare technical variant like the Propaganda airship that it red and has the voice set of the wartruck from Dawn of War and it would be perfect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Jul 2014, 5:53
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Zeke @ 29 Jul 2014, 4:32) *
Notice how all the panels are placed in such a way that their corners touch the frame of the windshield and are not just cenetered on the glass? It means that they are probably also welded to the windshield frame and therefore won't fall off even when the glass breaks (this is further supported by the fact that some panels don't even have bolts, only holes). Also, if they really wanted to, they could simply attach something behind the windshield for the panels to bolt on to (like the bars on variant 3).

That, plus the simple excuse that these vehicles belong to what is probably the most insane and least sensible branch of the GLA, i.e. the medieval super fundamentalists.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 23:51