IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The 'Call of Duty' Thread, Can be used to discuss various games as the series goes on
Svea Rike
post 26 Apr 2013, 13:01
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

Well, Infinity Ward has just released an image of the cover art for their new CoD game.

Now, I'm pretty sure most of you don't like Call of Duty multiplayer, and I can agree to that, but singleplayer campaigns are hell a lot of fun, even if the MW3 one had a bit off... wackyness to it. But, AFAIK, this seems to be the story of Ghost, something many people have wanted to see. What's your thought on this?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MARS
post 26 Apr 2013, 13:08
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Is it just me or does that cover look like a really obvious, really horrible fan-made 'shop? Are they seriously passing this off as a real thing?

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 26 Apr 2013, 13:47
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Another CoD?? Damn it! Until today I still play CoD MW with my friend and I think the fantastic game because innovated the genre mainly playing multiplayer, however now they release a new CoD every 6 months, it seems football game, people need to buy a new game throughout the year in order to update the name of the players... just another game copying itself with a new title to fool the fans of CoD series.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Kichō
post 26 Apr 2013, 13:52
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 50

UK Supermarket Tesco leaked the cover a few days ago but then pulled down the listing shortly after. So yeah, it appears to be real.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a4...co-picture.html

I'll probably skip this, I prefer Treyarch's entries over Infinity Ward's (although I liked MW3) but the series is getting more stale after each game. The most fun I had was WaW and CoD3 multiplayer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 26 Apr 2013, 14:53
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

--------------------

+Quote Post
wb21
post 26 Apr 2013, 17:31
Post #6

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Same shit, different installment. I could still care about on how the plot's gonna work though.

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 26 Apr 2013, 19:09
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 26 Apr 2013, 15:53) *

Same thing happens for most of us. But I am going to need to see some trailers before I judge. Hopefully they have actually made a new engine for it this time, but still, its better than a "Modern Warfare 4".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 26 Apr 2013, 19:59
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 123

No matter if this box-art is real, it is certain that in november another CoD will be released. Contrary to what swedishplayer said, I don't think much people buy it for the Singleplayer. It's nice fast-paced action with a usually mediocre story.

What I care for is multiplayer. The last installment, Black Ops 2 was pretty good, and was the first CoD in recent years to come close to the original Modern Warfare.

Modern Warfare 3 was a huge failure. And since Ghosts is also developed by Sledgehammer Games, I don't think it will be much better. They will manage to ruin the game again with some really bad decisions. (no dedicated servers for example)

Whatever, I guess I will end up playing it anyway, because there is no real new competing FPS in sight. (BF4 is entirely different)

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 26 Apr 2013, 20:32
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Stalker @ 26 Apr 2013, 20:59) *
Modern Warfare 3 was a huge failure. And since Ghosts is also developed by Sledgehammer Games, I don't think it will be much better. They will manage to ruin the game again with some really bad decisions. (no dedicated servers for example)

Actually, its just a rumour that Sledgehammer is also working on it. IMO Infinity Ward only made their games worse with those dudes, but maybe Ghosts will be IW unique.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MyDude25
post 27 Apr 2013, 1:18
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 26 Apr 2013, 21:53) *

^^Pretty much my reaction to this new CoD.

--------------------
Sup guiyz

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 27 Apr 2013, 4:30
Post #11

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (Stalker @ 26 Apr 2013, 19:59) *
What I care for is multiplayer. The last installment, Black Ops 2 was pretty good, and was the first CoD in recent years to come close to the original Modern Warfare.

Whatever, I guess I will end up playing it anyway, because there is no real new competing FPS in sight. (BF4 is entirely different)

MW3 was easily the most unoriginal and uninspired game of the Call of Duty series. The campaign was just meh. Black Ops 2 is the closest they've come on MW1 considering how it TRIES to be better rather than being just a reskin of everything. Depending on how this goes I'll either try it out or not. I expect a new engine with all the money they're making I8.gif . It would be better if they held it off until 2014 though, it would be better Black Ops 2 wasn't replaced in 1 year in my opinion.

Also, everyone ends up playing this game anyway 8Ip.png If they're making so much money every year, they must be doing something right about the franchise

On a side note I hate the Battlefield VS Call of Duty argument. People should just play the game that they want instead of going all fanboy and pissing all over the other game. It gets annoying considering how one of the only similarities is that they are military shooters. These two games are very different from each other duh2.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 27 Apr 2013, 9:40
Post #12

Group Icon

^ I totally agree with the above comment ^

A new engine (the current one has loads of bugs, problems, potential exploits, etc.) is really badly needed. I hope they manage to use/create one when they scrap the current-gen consoles.

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 26 Apr 2013, 21:32) *
Actually, its just a rumour that Sledgehammer is also working on it. IMO Infinity Ward only made their games worse with those dudes, but maybe Ghosts will be IW unique.

The majority of the original Infinity Ward employees who made CoD1, 2, 4 and MW2 left the studio after MW2. Basically all whats left of Infinty Ward is the name. I'm pretty sure most of the work is done by Sledgehammer games, while Infinity Ward (or what's left of it) does some design and supervising jobs.

It would be better if they held it off until 2014 though, it would be better Black Ops 2 wasn't replaced in 1 year in my opinion.

There are some problems with that though:
1) Treyarch can't do proper maps. While the default BO2 maps were better than those of MW3, they don't even come close to Infinity Ward's MW1&2 maps. I bought the first DLC for BO2, and none of the 4 maps is really good. In fact, 3 of them totally suck. And from what I have heard of the 2nd DLC, those maps are even worse.
2) BO2 player count on PC is rapidly decreasing. This is mainly because of some bad decisions regarding availably playlists. (Apparently they think what Console players want is also what PC players want - I know, what a surprise)
3) I'm pretty sure, all dev-support for this game (which so far has been really good. Lot's of balance patches) will end in a few month, and it will end up like MW3 on PC, where 8/10 games are full of cheaters, and the other 2 lag like hell.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 27 Apr 2013, 16:29
Post #13

Group Icon

My personal impression:
MW1: Solid campaign and equally solid multiplayer. Timeless game overall.
MW2: Silly campaign but redeemable thanks to memorable set-piece moments and overall more 'interesting' multiplayer for better or worse. Played until Prestige 6, still getting back into it for a few weeks every year.
BO1: Halfway decent campaign with a story that could be positively regarded as a dark spin on cheesy spy fiction. Godawful multiplayer with severe design flaws in both the gameplay and the maps. Played until Prestige 2, then never touched MP again.
MW3: Silly campaign that left me severely disappointed because all the bullshit was still there while most of the great moments were not. Multiplayer was still functional with a few positive innovations but felt lacking overall. Played until Prestige 4, might do so again until I have all extra classes just for completeness' sake.
BO2: Halfway decent campaign but all those lengthy in-mission cutscenes make it an unfavourable choice for a quick play. Multiplayer had some positive ideas for how things work but the overall gameplay and map execution was horrendous. Played until Prestige 1, then used it to reset my statistics because of how enragingly awful it all was, regretting every hour I wasted on this slog.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 27 Apr 2013, 17:24
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 27 Apr 2013, 17:29) *
My personal impression:
MW1: Solid campaign and equally solid multiplayer. Timeless game overall.
MW2: Silly campaign but redeemable thanks to memorable set-piece moments and overall more 'interesting' multiplayer for better or worse. Played until Prestige 6, still getting back into it for a few weeks every year.
BO1: Halfway decent campaign with a story that could be positively regarded as a dark spin on cheesy spy fiction. Godawful multiplayer with severe design flaws in both the gameplay and the maps. Played until Prestige 2, then never touched MP again.
MW3: Silly campaign that left me severely disappointed because all the bullshit was still there while most of the great moments were not. Multiplayer was still functional with a few positive innovations but felt lacking overall. Played until Prestige 4, might do so again until I have all extra classes just for completeness' sake.
BO2: Halfway decent campaign but all those lengthy in-mission cutscenes make it an unfavourable choice for a quick play. Multiplayer had some positive ideas for how things work but the overall gameplay and map execution was horrendous. Played until Prestige 1, then used it to reset my statistics because of how enragingly awful it all was, regretting every hour I wasted on this slog.

What about World at War? That was an awesome game in both singleplayer and multiplayer, and nazi-zombies topped it off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 27 Apr 2013, 17:46
Post #15

Group Icon

I didn't even bother with WaW because I found it gratuitously grimdark and didn't want to go back to what seemed like another generic WW2 shooter at the time. Bear in mind that the generic modern military shooter hadn't really become a thing yet.

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 27 Apr 2013, 20:57
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 27 Apr 2013, 17:29) *
MW2: Silly campaign but redeemable thanks to memorable set-piece moments and overall more 'interesting' multiplayer for better or worse. Played until Prestige 6, still getting back into it for a few

I would love to play MW2 again, but sadly I don't find any game lobbies. But there's the "unofficial" MP that works way better anyway.

About BO2... hm.. I find it way better than MW3. Of course, at first it seemed that all you have to do is running with an SMG, but they improved the balance a lot with patches. It's also the only CoD that I started (and finished) prestige mode. The maps aren't really good, but still way better than MW3. Overall, I can't see why this game left such bad impressions, especially when the last game was such a piece of crap like MW3.

(I'm playing everything on PC, I guess Console-MP experience might be different)

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 28 Apr 2013, 2:07
Post #17

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (Stalker @ 27 Apr 2013, 20:57) *
I would love to play MW2 again, but sadly I don't find any game lobbies. But there's the "unofficial" MP that works way better anyway.

About BO2... hm.. I find it way better than MW3. Of course, at first it seemed that all you have to do is running with an SMG, but they improved the balance a lot with patches. It's also the only CoD that I started (and finished) prestige mode. The maps aren't really good, but still way better than MW3. Overall, I can't see why this game left such bad impressions, especially when the last game was such a piece of crap like MW3.

(I'm playing everything on PC, I guess Console-MP experience might be different)

The last time I logged onto Black Ops 2 only around 900 people were playing it as opposed to the 30K when the game first came out. My friends who play console say around 300,000 was the most number of people on Xbox.

I've spent 300 hours on Black Ops 2 so far where I've reached Max Rank and reset my stats two times already because of how fun scorestreaks kill people without you controlling them XD.gif

Also ever since AlterIWNet and 4D1 came into existence IW pulled the plug on official servers on MW2 PC which is why 4D1 is your only chance of playing online nowadays. It's MUCH better there though. There you can have mods, maps and new weapons as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2013, 5:18
Post #18

Group Icon

Random discovery I made when I was still playing BO2 a few months ago:
(For clarity's sake, the dots on the globe are supposed to show active connections)

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 28 Apr 2013, 5:21
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

QUOTE (MARS @ 28 Apr 2013, 1:18) *
Random discovery I made when I was still playing BO2 a few months ago:
(For clarity's sake, the dots on the globe are supposed to show active connections)

Good find! laugh.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 28 Apr 2013, 7:36
Post #20

C&C:Reichsmarsch Mod Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 9264

RE: OP.

I feel that them going back and doing a prequel of sorts like this is just a sign that they are either lost on where to take the MW series after MW3 or it's a break in the story to allow people to forget how goddamn awful MW3's plot was, not to mention BO2.
Honestly, multiplayer went downhill pretty damn fast after MW. MW2 had a pretty fun campaign (if a bit action movie wacky at times). MW3 was just a step up from MW2 with more wackiness (let's drop a goddamn freaking skyscraper on the assault team, why don't we...). The only redeeming point for me in the singleplayer was the introduction of foreign forces integration. That's where you see German Leopard 2A6s covering the team into the city. Even though they all get crushed by a skyscraper after that. But the basic are all still there, unfortunately. Rail shooting turret segments in the form of gunship sequences, spammy weapons, and overall dimwitted AI. The introduction of hybrid sights didn't really add much to the game imo. It just saved having to carry a 2nd weapon in singleplayer for different range imo.
Multiplayer is just a spamfest autoaim piece of shit now with whining 6 year olds on every match. Sad to say it but the community is helping to kill the game off faster. (although, it might just be because I'm a battlefield fan but then BF3+expansions isn't that far off from MW3 style, especially with that close quarters expansion).
If the multiplayer had more variety in terms of weapons (not just cosmetic and subtle performance diffs but vast diffs in handling and power would help) and maps that aren't all close quarters stuff, it might be able to redeem itself with this new game. But as it is, I'm off CoD for the long term and just hoping for it the franchise to have a dignified death.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2013, 8:01
Post #21

Group Icon

To be honest, I found MW3s depiction of foreign forces very token in its execution. There's total war going on in Paris, Berlin (and indeed most of continental Europe including Switzerland no less!) but all we get is a handful of GIGN blokes and three Leopard tanks that literally accompany you for the length of a single city street, all while you're playing as a bunch of oh-so-badass Delta operators whose fight makes the 'real' difference. The best (albeit utterly improbable) thing CoD could do would be a move back to its roots. Get rid of all that overrepresented tacticool operator bullshit and let us play as the common grunts from different countries who claw their way to victory through blood and dirt.

When I played the MW3 mission in Prague; I didn't want to be that token Russian good guy and take cues from Soap McTavish; I wanted to fight as a Czech insurgent, ambush those Russian troops that massacred my people, throw makeshift firebombs into their vehicles, climb on their tanks etc. When I played the MW3 mission in Berlin, I didn't want to call A-10 strikes and rope down from buildings in search of a generic distressed damsel to advance the plot; I wanted to drive one of those Leopard tanks and clear a way or re-take the frickin' Reichstag as a Panzergrenadier. I wanted to play as an 18 year old Russian conscript who got sent off to war based on a lie who is on the receiving end of all that 'awesome' American firepower we keep dishing out in these games. I want a CoD in which my protagonist is a vulnerable, utterly expendable everyman whose success or failure, survival or death may or may not have any sort of impact on the grand scheme of things, not pretend like I'm some ultra-badass macho warrior.

This is why I liked Spec Ops - The Line so very much: It takes the generic premise of letting you be that cool Delta soldier and turns it on its head, showing you just how pathetic this 'I wanna be the badass operator hero dude' empowerment fantasy actually is while your guy accidentally drops willie pete on civilians, goes insane with PTSD and makes all sorts of maverick decisions that only serve to make things worse.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 28 Apr 2013, 9:21
Post #22

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

^
This...I agree, Conscript training finished!

Every year I get COD gifted to me by friends and stuff, they want me to be there to cover them.
(Im the only knifer CQC and the Shield guy that can get MOABS on MW3)

Spec ops is just recyled missions, same maps or diffrent areas and enemies....Survival mode was too easy on mw3 just dull and boring after a time.

Call of dutys campaigns are getting more offensive and more "unessary violent"
So MW3 was boring, gunship parts fan service, Soaps deaths....saw it from a mile away....A horrible ending to the franchise,
On the Modern warfare multiplayer the support class was SO good cause not everybody wants to be a badass smg rambo,
Im not a fast reflexed guy, I can micro In RTS sure, I can button smash on MMOs (In a correct order) but I personally cant get an smg with all the fancy stealth and ammo perks then head shot 4 of the 8 man team to call in more stuff....

Maps are always too small and small I mean they invented quick scoping just for COD IIRC
If your a SMG run and gun, your always going to get easy kills, then for assault....LMGs and snipers are a joke

I didnt like black ops, anything of black ops
For black ops 2 "unessary violent"
Lets give the guy a macheette and a shotgun, not like parrents care about thier kids and see the 18+ Mature logo on the box.Just as long as timmy shuts up lets give him a game that makes pakistan a terrorist nest (Yeah I know where they got the idea but still....there was alot of butthurt people over that and even riots in pakistan lol)
Or you slaughterd men just because they touched your burned sister...

As for black ops 2 multi, It was good but still the killstreak system and weapon ballence was horrible, again like always there was 2-3 smgs that were always used...
Boring as f*ck unless you play like me; Get a kniferunner class or a shield class and make thoose 9 year olds litterly cry and rage on mic

Wich got less boring when semtex was broughtin (Worst thing in cod yet)

*Flak vest allows you to survive semtex*
*Tactical mask lets you get stunned and emped less* (dont ask how this is call of duty*
If you add a shield to that combo you will be 1hit semtexed if its on the shield facing them....

I doubt this new call of duty will do anything new....
Probably gona be gifted and play for it awhile again....Then forget it
Rather play MW1 or Call of duty 2 IMO or even Rainbowsix

--------------------

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 28 Apr 2013, 10:28
Post #23

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Immaturity Incarnate

Though I have to agree the SMG category is overused (as well as the R870) in Black Ops 2, if you say weapon balance is horrible, I partially agree with that. Every weapon has a counter in the game based on experience. Just grab a weapon to get used to it (I grabbed the SCAR-H day one when I started playing and it's my answer to everything now). But there are some weapons that are just REALLY hard to counter AKA:

FAL OSW
KAP-40
B23R

- no matter how they patched these weapons it seems I can drop people faster than ANYTHING in the game that isn't a Lodestar with these weapons. Just horrific pure power.

As for scorestreak balance, yup they need to do something about it. It's just like Black Ops 1 (which is more of a love it/hate it game) where the killstreaks do all the work for you.

MW3 was basically an ACR/MP7/Type 95/Quickscoping/Let's-go-specialist-for-a-MOAB festival if you ask me.

Right now this is what I want from the series:

- A new WW2 game that as MARS said returns to its roots
- Go back to the time where you could play the stories from ALL sides. It would have been nice to play as the Russians only to get killed off later instead of playing the role of a spec ops soldier who survives anything for whatever reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 28 Apr 2013, 10:56
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 28 Apr 2013, 10:21) *
As for black ops 2 multi, It was good but still the killstreak system and weapon ballence was horrible, again like always there was 2-3 smgs that were always used...
Boring as f*ck unless you play like me; Get a kniferunner class or a shield class and make thoose 9 year olds litterly cry and rage on mic

You can't be serious ... Show me one CoD game that has better balanced Killstreaks and Weapons than BO2!
Yes, SMGs were OP at release, but that's patched. (Same for the FAL)
Actually at this point every weapon in every category has its use, with a few exceptions (Like Miss Arle said, Kap40 is OP, so the other Pistols are kinda useless if you are not playing hardcore)
Weapon Balance has never been better in a CoD. This is probably the first one that doesn't have one or two weapons that beat everything else from that Category (MW3 MP7, ACR, FMG; MW2 ACR, M16, G18, M93; BO1 famas, AUG, Ak74)

And Killstreaks ... Really? You honestly prefer the flawed MW3 system (where everyone going Specialist crapped on their teammates) or MW2 system (Camp 5 kills, get Predator -> Harrier -> AC130) or <insert any other CoD> over a System where you get points for objectives, assists, drones, etc. and most of the players run UAV and VSAT to actually support their teammates?

Black Ops 2 Perk system, is badly balanced though. Flak Jacket, Toughness, Tac-Mask are way too important, and the overall high number of bullets to kill makes scavanger a must for a lot of weapons. In addition EMP-Grenades are annoying as f*ck.
But if BO2 did something really good, it's Killstreaks and Weapon balance.

Get a kniferunner class or a shield class and make thoose 9 year olds litterly cry and rage on mic

You managed to sum up everything that's wrong with CoD in one sentence...

EDIT:
The FAL was the best weapon ever in Full-Auto mode, but they nerfed it to death.

And one more thing:
Go back to the time where you could play the stories from ALL sides. It would have been nice to play as the Russians only to get killed off later instead of playing the role of a spec ops soldier who survives anything for whatever reason

You mean when you could play a German soldier in WW2? ... oh wait.
But yeah, I agree.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 28 Apr 2013, 10:59

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2013, 11:01
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Miss Arle @ 28 Apr 2013, 11:28) *
- A new WW2 game that as MARS said returns to its roots

For the record, I wasn't actually describing a WW2 game, but an MW3-style world war three scenario -executed- more like the original WW2 CoDs

One of the few things I genuinely liked about BO2's multiplayer was that it had scorestreaks instead of killstreaks - such point requirements are easier to balance/nuance than a system that runs solely on kills - and the 'pick 10' class system (imbalances notwithstanding).

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 20:44