A Reference to Darkness: ROTR Fanfiction Redux, A better attempt
Alex1guy
post 17 Oct 2012, 0:02
Post #1

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9123

Hi there guys, some of you a few months ago read my fiction starring Agent Gabriel. Unfortunately, due to a computer error I lost the newest part of the saga and lost faith in writing a new part. I was also suffering massive writer's block but after careful reconsideration, I've decided to re-write everything, going for a better and ultimately darker story which I hope everyone will enjoy!

Without Further Ado!

Chapter One: One Minute To Midnight

Music and sounds for effect:

Rain in the night.
and
Difference for Darkness

DATELINE:
November 16th, 2039
Millbank, London
United Kingdom

London; some called her the greatest city in the world and when one thought about it, it was difficult to disagree.

Built by the Romans over two-thousand years ago, this dignified metropolis had withstood everything that centuries of history could throw at her. She had once been the beating heart of the greatest Empire of the Modern Age and this was written across her venerable face. Everywhere one looked, it was easy to see the elegant matrimony of the old and new world. Statues and buildings of stone and brick stood proudly alongside shimmering facades of glass and steel and despite the rain and maturity of the hour, the city was always a hive of activity.

It was through these sleepless streets that a Black Rolls Royce made its graceful journey, picking and weaving through the late evening traffic along the roads flanking the Thames. It indicated left, and began the final stages of travel, crossing over Millbank Bridge to its destination on the other side. The Thames House was reflected against the dark waters by which it was named had for almost a century had been the home of various agencies of the British Intelligence.

It now served a greater purpose.

As the Rolls Royce pulled up to the gates surrounding official seat of the European Continental Intelligence Agency, two soldiers dressed in the navy blue fatigues walked up to address the driver's window. After a brief conversation, the heavy steel gates that protected Europe's most cunning minds, slid open. After one last brief trip, the car came to a final halt beneath the stone gaze of Mother Britannia and St George, the two patrons of Britain that flanked the vaulted entrance to the Thames House.

The right-hand door opened, and a tall figure stepped out. His hair was a deep brown like his eyes, betraying his Italian Mother but his face was chiselled and pale, a gift of his English Father.

"I hate this city" Andrew Gabriel thought bitterly as he was hit by the evening drizzle.

His feet splashed in the wet as he walked up the stairs to the door of the building, which like the main gate, was flanked by two soldiers of the European Continental, Army attending a security checkpoint.

"Please stand on the red sticker while the machine scans you" one said in a curt German accent as Gabriel approached. The British agent gave a small nod and stood on a red "X" on the floor between two metal arches. There was a metallic beep as an invisible x-ray scanned his body and the other guard, waved him through.

Gabriel stepped into the lobby, his eyes wincing somewhat as they adjusted to the soft white lights that illuminated the interior. Everything had been renovated in recent years, the result being a very modern affair, a contrast to the Imperial stonework exterior. The marble floor was decorated with the Blue and Gold stars of the European Alliance, which reflected against the walls of glass and chrome.

"Agent Gabriel?" Came sudden voice from behind.

Gabriel turned to face a rather timid looking woman, who almost flinched as he spun around.

"Ah, yes I am" he replied, clearing his throat as he did.

"I am Emily Cortez" she said quickly. "I am here to bring you upstairs."

"Pleasure to meet you Miss Cortez" Gabriel said as he extended a hand. This time the girl did flinch, but took her fellow agent's hand for an awkward exchange of pleasantries.

"Ummm, I'll take you up now."

Gabriel walked quickly after this extremely strange little woman as she led him to the elevators. After ascending several more floors and being scanned at several more security checkpoints, Cortez left Gabriel in a clouded glass hallway outside an office as she went inside to make enquiries with one of Europe’s most powerful people.

"MEREDITH BLACKMAN. DIRECTOR" the sign on the door read.

It was written to suggest that you didn't see Meredith Blackman, she saw you. Like most high-ranking members of European Intelligence, Meredith's history was shrouded in mystery and few people spoke with her directly. Gabriel had received a communique from her aide a few days ago, asking him to meet at the agency. Although the message had been worded like an invitation, Gabriel knew it was nothing short of a direct order.

After a few minutes of waiting, the door opened again and Agent Cortez returned.

“Miss Blackman will see you now.”

Gabriel nodded and followed the young girl inside. Like the rest of the building, the Director’s office was spacious and neat. In the centre of the room, suspended by almost invisible wires, was a glass desk which hung parallel to a collection of black leather couches. The far wall was a single large sheet of what Gabriel imagined to be bomb proof glass overlooking the Thames. It was here that Meredith and two other figures (that Gabriel didn’t recognize) stood speaking in low voices.

“Excuse me, Miss Blackman” Cortez interrupted “Agent Gabriel is here to see you.”

The trio ceased their conversation and Blackman turned aorund.

“Thank you Emily. That will be all.”

Cortez nodded and quickly shuffled out the door, closing it behind her.

Meredith stepped away from the window to her desk. She was a small woman in her early sixties, with dark red hair that was tied up in a neat bun behind her head who carried the air of a strict headmistress. The other two figured turned as she sat back at her desk.

They were both men, but they were very distinct from one another. One was a tall and slender Chinese officer, with straight, jet-black hair that contrasted the green and gold of his uniform. The other was a man (who could only be described as stereotypically Teutonic) was garbed in blue ceremonial uniform of the European Army which sat fittingly on his broad shoulders. He sported a shock of blonde hair and energetic blue eyes, both of which competed to downplay the man’s age. Both however, shared equally worried looks.

“Agent Gabriel, you know me but allow me introduce our guests, this Wu Zhi Cheng of the Chinese Ministry of State Security and Jakob Von Kaisenberg head of Continental Intelligence in Tunisia.”

Gabriel shook hands with both men, and the trio sat down. Once seated, Blackman turned to address the agent.

“Right Gabriel, I have brought you here because we have an issue that we believe you can help us solve.”

“What kind of issue would that be?” Gabriel replied slowly. Almost immediately, the German cleared his throat to speak.

“Well Gabriel, we have read over your files and we must say we are very impressed with your track record in Libya. It says here that you were able to track down an extremely elusive Warlord of the Global Liberation Army and personally see to the elimination of several major factions acting against European interests in North Africa.”

“Yes, although I was assisted by several local militia who wanted to see the GLA gone” Gabriel replied.

“That is what makes you actions in Libya even more extraordinary Agent Gabriel” Cheng interjected, “you were able to make use of what you had available and to good effect too.”

Meredith, who had been watching like an agitated hawk during the exchange, finally spoke.

“Look I'm not going to beat around the bush with you Gabriel. We need someone with your experiences for another mission in Africa. Are you familiar with the name Kun Sun?”

The name did ring a vague bell from the Chinese campaigns on the African Continent, but Gabriel shook his head anyway.

Cheng opened his mouth to speak but Blackman cut him off. “Kun Sun was the Commander of the 5th regiment of the People’s Liberation in Army. The man made a name for himself during the Taiwanese Conflict and was the brains behind the removal of the GLA from Somalia.”

Blackman typed something into the touchpad on her desk and conjured up a holographic image of a very stern looking Chinese officer from the projector on her desk.

“He is a man who leads from the front and is extremely popular with his soldiers and the locals who he liberated. Sort of a a 'Lawrence of Somalia' if you will." She clicked a button and an image of dozens of dead chinese soldiers came up "However four months ago Sun was leading an expedition into the Eastern Rainforests of Ethiopia when he and his men suddenly went rogue, dozens of his men were found dead, all attempts to contact surviving units have been unsuccessful and the thick terrain has made aerial reconnaissance impossible.”

Cheng took this opportunity to speak again.

“Commander Sun represents a significant security risk, not to mention an embarrassment to China. At the moment we can only speculate as to what has enticed him to betray his country but we cannot rule out the notion that he may have turned over to our enemies.”

“So why not send your men in?” Gabriel asked simply. “Why come to us?”

“Chinese agents who were sent after Sun have also disappeared” Von Kaisenberg answered with a shrug. “His position as Commander means he has been privy to a lot of sensitive information over the years, and may very well recognize Chinese agents that attempt to enter into his midst.”

“So you're sending someone not of their agency” Gabriel replied flatly, his eyebrow rising as if to underline the point.

“That is correct” Blackman answered with a nod.

Gabriel paused for a moment picking his next words carefully. “If I may be so bold as to ask mam; how does Sun’s disappearance or defection affect us?”

Cheng shot him a dark look, but he was interrupted this time by Von Kaisenberg.

“I'm not going to lie to you Gabriel, you deserve that much. It is no secret that we owe the Chinese a great deal, as somebody who has seen the subsequent reconstruction of my country, I can testify to the fact that it has been Chinese funds which have staved off total collapse.”

Blackman spoke up again. “The Chinese have offered us something of a deal for our help in this matter. We are looking at a ten billion sterling reduction in war debts to their government in exchange for helping locate Sun. You understand the ramifications of such an offer Gabriel.”

The agent sat back in his seat and sighed. Looking back at the stares of the three people before him, Gabriel knew the decision had already been made for him.

“Okay” he murmured. “When do I leave?”

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 19 Oct 2012, 21:20

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 17 Oct 2012, 0:41
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Congratulations on this epic narrative, was very well written and with a gloomy air around the story, the names of the characters were very well chosen and the description of the places reminded me of Dan Brown's books, you describe the historical aspects of the places so very particular, I like that.

For as in the plot is being built, we'll see what the future will reserve for Gabriel in Part II and hopefully there is some action to let his narrative even better.

Good luck with the continuation. wink.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
MARS
post 17 Oct 2012, 5:12
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Good to see some more of your fan-fiction. Really sorry about that PC error, but I definitely like this new direction in your story. The setup with the Chinese general kinda gives me the feeling that this'll play out a bit like Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now. I'm very interested to see how this countinues. No complaints from the canon-side of things either so far.

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 17 Oct 2012, 5:17
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 17 Oct 2012, 6:12) *
Good to see some more of your fan-fiction. Really sorry about that PC error, but I definitely like this new direction in your story. The setup with the Chinese general kinda gives me the feeling that this'll play out a bit like Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now. I'm very interested to see how this countinues. No complaints from the canon-side of things either so far.

Originally the Heart of Darkness was my inspiration for the original TL, but it got confused on itself so I decided to have another go at it. Hopefully won't be entirely predictable though smile.gif

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
WNxMastrefubu
post 17 Oct 2012, 7:02
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 41

very well written, the music/rainymood were a great idea, they really help

+Quote Post
MARS
post 17 Oct 2012, 7:27
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

Gotta say, I also like the idea of debt reductions as an incentive for the Europeans to run errands for China. That's one legitimately clever plot point that works perfectly well within the context of the ROTR setting.

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 17 Oct 2012, 9:36
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Love the method of your presentation. The story is well narrated. The starting chapter has the classical setting of hero guy going dark side and now the best of the best agent guys is going to find him and everything but you've fleshed out the plot really nicely in ROTR settings - setting the story in Chinese occupied Somalia, having China manipulating the ECA to do it's work for debt reduction, ultimately setting ECA against the GLA with whom they have a really bitter history. It's a classical approach but has a lot of possibilities, should be fun with your writing skills.

Looking forward to the future updates.

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 17 Oct 2012, 12:53
Post #8

Group Icon

Chapter Two: Glass and Sand

Music: "Barra Barra"

DATELINE:
November 20th, 2039
Mogadishu Occupied District
Mogadishu, Somalia

The elegant silhouette of the Comac C919 slid through the modest cloud cover as it began it's final approach over the battered city of Mogadishu. It had been almost a year since the Chinese "liberation" of Somalia from the GLA, a fact that was not lost on Gabriel. Even from 6000 feet above, the damage that the Chinese military had wrought during their "pacification campaign" was visible. Entire districts still lay in ruins from artillery and missile bombardments and shanty towns of tents and houses tentacled from the city's outskirts into the countryside.

Most noticeable was a huge scorch in the central business district that marked a particularly ferocious firebombing campaign that the People's Liberation Air-Force had unleashed in the final stages of the siege; incinerating hundreds if not thousands of enemy combatants and civilians alike. Gabriel knew that once upon a time, the Chinese military never would have gotten away with such ruthless actions, but that was in the old days. There were no such rules in this brave new world.

The only part of the city that had been truly spared was the harbour and airport, which had been captured intact by the Chinese Army as they began their invasion. The ports now served as base of operations for all Chinese forces in Africa, the entire district had been converted into a giant military base complex named "Dragon Base".

The C919 made a graceful landing on new runway that the chinese engineers laid down, and began taxiing to the equally new terminal. Like everything else the Chinese had been building, the terminal radiated modernity, it's massive glass windows and steel frame shining in the harsh sun. Gabriel twisted in his seat, attempting to wake up his legs which had fallen asleep over the last eight hours. The aircraft's captain chimed in lazily over the speakers as Gabriel stared blankly at the white capped waves of the Indian Ocean flying past outside.

"Welcome to Mogadishu ladies and gentlemen. We'll be taxiing to the gate for the next few minutes, so please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until the seatbelt sign has been turned off. On behalf of the flight crew and CORMAC Airlines, we would just like to thank-you for flying with us."

Gabriel almost smiled at this last point, looking around at the few dozen people that were scattered across the empty cabin, it was easy to tell that most of the passengers would much rather be elsewhere. Most of them were in business suits that would probably begin a slow process of roasting their wearers the moment they stepped into the African heat.

The plane's doors were opened and Gabriel followed the other passengers through the corridors to the baggage claim area. He couldn't help but feel he was walking through a futuristic mausoleum, the complex being largely devoid of anyone but cleaners and bored looking security staff. Few people flew to Somalia these days, hell, did anyone ever fly to Somalia in the first place?

Gabriel skirted past the baggage carousel having not brought anything with him and approached the security checkpoint, where he was suddenly stopped by two suited men. They wearing dark glasses and holding Chinese security badges in a manner that reminded Gabriel of classic action films from the early 2000's.

"Andrew Gabriel?" one of them asked, removing his glasses. Gabriel nodded "Aye."

"I am special agent Zhou and this is my colleague Agent Chiang. We are with the Department of State Security, will you come with us please?"

Gabriel was led through a side door that by-passed security. Unlike the rest of the airport, the auxiliary and service corridors were little more than concrete tunnels with security cameras at every interval.

"We have been instructed" Zhou explained as they weaved through the bowels of the building "To take you to the State Department's headquarters at Dragon Base. You will be meeting with General Xin and several other officials who will brief you further on your mission."

"And do you know my mission Mister Zhou?" Gabriel inquired carefully. He attempted to gauge just who may be privy to information on himself "did they tell you why I was here?". The Chinese agent shook his head. "None of my business I'm afraid. That is, how you say 'above my payroll'". Gabriel swore that he caught a glimpse of a smile on the man's face as they finally exited the monolithic complex into a secluded car park. A robust military truck attended by a pair of soldiers sat waiting for them.

As the agent's approached, the soldiers stood at attention, but were waved them off. Zhou then offered Gabriel front seat and then climbed in.

"You'll have excuse us Agent Gabriel if we take the scenic route through town" he smiled "The main roads are somewhat busy at this time of day."

The rucked pulled out of the airport and onto the dusty streets. If the city looked bad from the air, it looked even worse from the ground. There was no mistaking that this was indeed a hostile community. The bombed out buildings were covered with anti-Chinese graffiti, posters promoting peace and friendship were tagged torn and everywhere you looked, you caught the stone cold glares of an angry populace.

"They are like children". Zhou spat after one bold Mogadishan threw a rock at his would be oppressors. "It is only a year and they forget what it was like before we arrived. Under the GLA they had nothing. No hospitals, no running water, no police. We gave them everything and more, and they still hate us. Everyday our patrols are attacked, and everyday we lose more good men, and for what?"

Zhou executed particularly aggressive left turn down a narrow side street." They forget that the GLA treated them like animals. When I first arrived...Oh come on!"

Zhou slammed on the brakes, pausing before the scene in front of them. Two cars lay smashed into each other, blocking the narrow street, their owners standing next to the wreckage bickering loudly. Zhou tried the horn, but the two men ignored him.

"I'll deal with it." Chiang groaned, climbing out of the truck.

He walked towards the two men, his badge outstretched.

"Chinese State Security, you men are..."

He never finished his sentence, as a hail of bullets ripped clean through his chest. Screams filled the air and people scattered.

"Shit!" Zhou yelled angrily, putting the truck into reverse.

"Hold on!"

Gabriel ducked as another fusillade slammed across the windscreen, cracking the glass. Zhou was rapidly trying to back out of the narrow street , dodging somewhat successfully through the crowds of panicking people, but a burning truck now blocked their only escape. With a curse, the agent grabbed the dashboard radio and began screaming into it.

"This is Agent Zhou to Dragon base, we are under attack by insurgent forces, travelling with VIP passenger, one agent is down, and we are taking heavy fire. Requiring immediate assistance."

"Agent Zhou, this is Dragon Base, what is your current position?"

"We are stuck on a side street just before the Jidka highway. Insurgent forces blocked the road and have us surrounded from the buildings."

"Copy that Zhou standby for assistance."

Gabriel's stomach lurched, as Zhou accelerated forward again, attempting to dodge the sporadic burst of fire that continued to pepper the bonnet and roof.

"In the glove compartment! There's a gun, get it!" he yelled.

Gabriel fumbled clumsily with the lock, trying to quickly tear it open. After several agonizing seconds, he was successful and grabbed the small handgun from it's holding. Zhou reversed backwards again, trying to avoid the continuous fire from the roofs but the truck was suddenly thrown by the force of an explosion. It spun onto a sidewalk stall and came to a crashing halt, splintering the wooden stand and sending assorted foodstuffs flying. Zhou was rapidly trying to restart the now dead engine, twisting the key with curses and encouragement.

"Oh christ.." Gabriel whispered. He tapped Zhou on the shoulder and pointed at something that forced both agents to shrink down behind the dashboard. A mob of perhaps two dozen men, were marching boldly down the street, chanting wildly and firing their rifles sporadically into the air. Zhou produced a pistol from his jacket and ducked down.

"Shit... There's so many..."

The chanting was getting louder and the ricocheting of bullets got even closer.

"Don't. Make. A. Sound" Gabriel mouthed as the mob got closer. He peered carefully over the edge of the dashboard at the motley group of militia. One was quickly reloading a hand-held rocket launcher. Gabriel tried to get a shot off, but the moment he tried to sit up, he was met with a storm of bullets. Taking another careful peek, he could see that the rocket launcher was now loaded and was being pointed right at them. He closed his eyes waiting for the inevitable...

Explosion.

Gabriel dropped back under his seat and a mighty explosion erupted right where the militia had been standing. There was a thrum of rotors and a large helicopter gunship swung overhead, it's powerful nose cannon strafing at the scattered insurgents, stray rounds punching through the flimsy brick walls of the surrounding apartments and houses. Another much larger helicopter appeared overhead and began to hover, disgorging soldiers down to the ground from zip lines. They fanned out and moves with exaggerated caution towards the crashed truck, covering all possible approaches as they did.

One of the soldiers poked his head in the window and tapped his radio.

"Both agent Zhou and the VIP are alive sir, have a medical team on standby for when we arrive."

The soldier opened the door and extended a hand to Gabriel, which the exhausted European agent gratefully accepted. He looked back and saw another soldier was assisting agent Zhou, who appeared to have sustained a broken arm for his troubles.

"We need to get you back into the Helicopter sir" the soldier shouted to Gabriel over the thumping of the helicopter's rotors. The soldier handed him a carabiner and motioned for Gabriel to attach it to his belt. Once this was secure, the soldier attached the Gabriel to a second metal ring that was hooked onto a zip line dangling from above. After checking over everything again, the soldier gave the zip-line a quick tug and Gabriel felt himself lifted off the ground, ascending to the waiting transport helicopter like some sort of Khaki angel. The moment he was pulled inside, the helicopter gave a shudder, and began it's brief flight back to base. As they flew over the city Gabriel spotted convoy of armoured transports snaking it's way to the evolving firefight, their loudspeaker calling for people to disperse to their homes.

He pondered quietly however, as a medic looked him over.

"Not major cuts or bruises, no broken bones apparent, you don't appear to have hit your head. You are very lucky sir" the man concluded happily.

Gabriel snorted at this, and the Medic grinned. "You are lucky by our standards sir, one must count all his blessings around here."

The trip could not have been more than a few minutes, but it seemed like hours when Gabriel finally arrived at Dragon Base. As they touched down, several official looking men and several more doctors approached the helicopter.

Gabriel climbed out, and was met by a tall Chinese gentlemen wearing the navy and gold officers uniform.

"Agent Gabriel I presume?" the man asked, offering his hand. Gabriel just nodded back grimly.

"Well Agent Gabriel, it is a pleasure to meet you, despite the circumstances. I am Han Xin, regional commander of the People's Liberation army in Somalia and let me be the first to say, welcome to Dragon Base."

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 17 Oct 2012, 21:12

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 17 Oct 2012, 13:18
Post #9

Group Icon

You wrote the second part faster than I thought they would.

The climax that surrounded the Agent Gabriel was very well prepared and the action did the second part even better than the first. I'll be awaiting the next chapter to find out which will be the true mission of Gabriel in Africa.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
aeroth
post 17 Oct 2012, 13:22
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9121

well this is quite enjoyable to read gordon.gif

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 17 Oct 2012, 21:01
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 17 Oct 2012, 14:18) *
You wrote the second part faster than I thought they would.

The climax that surrounded the Agent Gabriel was very well prepared and the action did the second part even better than the first. I'll be awaiting the next chapter to find out which will be the true mission of Gabriel in Africa.

Just had to make it a little clearer, Gabriel will still be going after Sun, the banter with agent Zhou was supposed to reflect the secrecy of the thing. Even agents stationed in Somalia are unaware of Gabe's mission. Just rewrote it to clear thing up wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 18 Oct 2012, 4:18
Post #12

Group Icon

Chapter Three: Dejavu:

Music: Chinese Theme BF2

DATELINE:
November 20th, 2039
Dragon Base
Mogadishu, Somalia

The fiery red skyline was slowing fading to purple as African sun dipped behind the Western horizon to the chorus of sporadic gunfire and distant explosions. The insurgents who had attacked Gabriel and his escort were little more than thugs that had probably been egged on by GLA agitators and the army was now busy sweeping the district for "dissenting parties". Smoke drifted lazily over the city, and to European agent standing on the balcony of the Chinese command building, everything seemed so surreal.

The PLA had been swift in their response to the attack. "You have to hit back fast and you you need to hit back strong" General Xin had said earlier "force is the only thing these savages understand and in time, the locals will come to respect that". The somewhat chilling statement reminded Gabriel of the great empires of old, who had reasoned with the same logic as they gobbled up the world in an endless race for prestige and power. It was funny how history had a habit of repeating itself.

"Agent Gabriel?"

Gabriel was snapped from his thoughts, as the General himself joined him.

"Beautiful is it not?" Xin said after a moment. "The way the sun sets here quite spectacular, wouldn't you agree?"

Gabriel muttered something as a particularly loud boom echoed in the distance.

"However Agent gabriel, you did not come to Africa for her vistas, won't you step inside and we will discuss business."

Gabriel gave nodded and followed the General into his office. A sense of deja-vu fell over Gabriel as he stepped back inside, the chrome and glass decor feeling eerily familiar.

"Wont you take a seat Agent Gabriel and we will begin" said Xin with a polite smile. Gabriel sat down as Xin ruffled through a series of papers.

"As you now know Agent Gabriel, we are facing quite the predicament here in Africa. As you witnessed earlier, we are faced with an ungrateful population, GLA insurgents and now we face a rogue commander with a dangerous amount of knowledge of how this base operates."

The general paused to rummage through a file and handed Gabriel half a dozen black and white photographs which offered an aerial view of a column of tanks and troop transports crossing through a checkpoint

"These are satellite images of Commander Sun's last known location as of August 23rd, heading over the border in Eastern Ethiopia. Ever since the occupation we have had problems with guerrillas and rebels launching raids against our bases in Western Somalia but fortunately, scouting forces were able to pinpoint the raids as coming from a string of villages nestled near the Mendebo Mountains."

Xin handed Gabriel another image, this time of a series villages. There were a few trucks with what appeared to machine guns on the back and a few suspicious looking tunnels.

"We have no doubt that the inhabitants of these villages were sheltering GLA forces and Sun had been sent into deal with these rebels. However, two days after he crossed the border, something went amiss."

Xin produced another document and slid it across the desk to Gabriel. It was a crudely translated flash report from Commander Sun's expedition into Ethiopia, dated for the the 26th of August.

OPERATION: BACKBREAK

OPERATING COMMANDER: "RISING SUN"

26TH AUGUST 2039

1905 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

RISING SUN APPROACH VILLAGE, DESIGNATION ZODIAC. DEVELOPING.

1907 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

RISING SUN SUSTAIN FIRE FROM LOCAL INSURGENT FORCE. UNCLE-FOUR-TWO BEGUN ENGAGE HOSTILES FORCES. DEVELOPING.

1908 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

HOSTILES FORCES ENGAGE UNCLE FOUR-TWO, UNCLE TWO-FOUR DESTROYED. FRIEND FIRE? CAPTAIN WANG RETALIATE? RISING SUN RETREAT. DEVELOPING

1911 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

RISING SUN RETREAT WITH CASUALTY. TOP SUN REQUEST STRIKE PACKAGE TIGERWING. DEVELOPING

1912 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

STRIKE PACKAGE TIGERWING CONFIRMED.

1912 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

TIGERWING STRIKE PACKAGE. DUE ROUTE FOUR MINUTE. DEVELOPING.

1914 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

UNCLE THREE-OH AND UNCLE SEVEN-TWO ENGAGED? DEVELOPING

1917 :'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*'*'*'*FLASH'*'*'*

TIGERWING STRIKE PACKAGE. DO NOT ENGAGE. DO NOT ENGAGE.

****END OF TRANSCRIPT****

Gabriel carefully read over the report. "He called an airstrike on his column?" he asked finally.

Xin nodded, "There appears to have been some complications and incidents of friendly fire once his expedition was attacked by the insurgents. We take this as strong evidence that Sun may have been working with rebel forces prior and had arranged an ambush."

Gabriel paused for a moment. "What possible motive could Sun have had to defect, by all reports he was something of a hero around here was he not?"

Xin smiled sadly at this "It is difficult to put oneself into the mindset of a traitor, but he was never a man motivated by money or power. He had no family that we know of and was basically raised by the Red Guard. He was well respected by the soldiers under his command, which makes this affair that much more saddening. When advanced patrols finally caught up to the battle scene, they about half of the men from his platoon had deserted with their commander, the other half having been massacred."

"Who is Captain Wang?" Gabriel asked, pointing to the name on the after action report.

Xin sighed at the mention "Captain Wang was recently attached to Sun's unit only a months before. He was an energetic young man and it appears that he attempted to resist against Sun's treachery. If this report wasn't classified, he would no doubt have been awarded for his bravery. We haven't even alerted the family yet."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow at this, but dismissed the thought.

"What of the village?" he asked instead.

"When our patrols entered the village, it was empty. All the people were gone." Xin said with a shrug.

Gabriel was handed another photograph, this time of a little town that had clearly been abandoned in a hurry. Livestock had been shot in the street and doors and windows lay open. A few discarded possessions were scattered across the muddy roads.

"Why would Sun have taken the villagers?" Gabriel inquired confusedly.

"We can only speculate and we doubt that they are alive I am afraid. If Sun is working with the GLA, it is very likely that the villagers are now dead or enslaved. We've seen it before."

Gabriel let out a long sigh and leaned back in his seat, taking in all the information. It was a bizarre scenario, but not unheard of. Throughout the war, there were numerous examples of highly decorated officers and soldiers turning out to be traitors. The GLA were insidious like that, turning even the greatest men and women into monsters.

"So what intel do you have on Sun currently? Have the previous agents you sent come close to anything."

"What we do have from our agents is little I am afraid. Attempts to penetrate the jungle that Sun has supposedly retreated into have been unsuccessful. It's like a blackhole, agents go in and nothing comes out."

Gabriel paused again. "Forgive me General if I am not filled with confidence, but what do you hope I will achieve where your agents failed?"

It was General Xin's turn to pause, and he lay back in his seat. "Sun was privy to our intelligence agencies and we think that he may be using that against us. We need you to go in undercover Gabriel and understand you have much expertise in such operations. We plan on inserting you among the rebels in Ethiopia and hopefully garnishing information from them about Sun's whereabouts."

"How are you planning on inserting me into a rebel cell?"

"That part has been taken care of. We have some strings within the city itself, nothing special, he's just some idiot who is currently on our payroll who handles the recruiting of new soldiers for the regional warlords."

"Why not get information out of him?"

"Like I said, he is an idiot, but a useful idiot. He knows nothing and we are confident that he knows nothing, he's just someone on the ground level that can get you in. After that, it's up to you."

Gabriel's head sunk into his hands for a moment and sighed deeply.

It was not the best plan he had ever heard of, but funnily enough it was not the worst.

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 19 Oct 2012, 0:17

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 18 Oct 2012, 23:49
Post #13

Group Icon

I like those things involving betrayal, spies and infiltration... smile.gif

Good luck to Gabriel in his mission!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spejjarn
post 19 Oct 2012, 22:08
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

很好! When I saw that you had links to music and sound effects in the first chapter I thought "why? I am reading a book, no need of it" but then I turned the sound on and I understood the reason. Since we are living in a multi-media and Internet-centric world; why not use it to enhance the experience. Nice to add pictures too! And you have a really good narrative style! I know you speak Chinese. Are you from China? It is in some way evident that you know the Chinese mentality. I have my self spent three and a half month in Beijing trying to learn Mandarin... it's hard! Keep up the good work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCeLL
post 20 Oct 2012, 2:33
Post #15

Dangerous Eukaryote
Group Icon

Member No.: 9173
More awesome than an imploding star and a burning car combined

Man, mandarin is like ... impossible! And i am from china xd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 20 Oct 2012, 3:42
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 19 Oct 2012, 0:49) *
I like those things involving betrayal, spies and infiltration... smile.gif

Good luck to Gabriel in his mission!

He's gonna need all the luck he can get mindfuck.gif

QUOTE (Joakim @ 19 Oct 2012, 23:08) *
很好! When I saw that you had links to music and sound effects in the first chapter I thought "why? I am reading a book, no need of it" but then I turned the sound on and I understood the reason. Since we are living in a multi-media and Internet-centric world; why not use it to enhance the experience. Nice to add pictures too! And you have a really good narrative style! I know you speak Chinese. Are you from China? It is in some way evident that you know the Chinese mentality. I have my self spent three and a half month in Beijing trying to learn Mandarin... it's hard! Keep up the good work!

Xiexie biggrin.gif

Haha funnily enough I'm not Chinese but I study Chinese politics and Mandarin and I hope to be heading to Shanghai and Hong-Kong next year biggrin.gif

The Cinese characters are actually based off people my freinds father (who is Chinese) talked a lot about. He was a well-to-do banker in China who was "marked" by an organized crime syndicate back in the 70's. He fled to New Zealand in the 70's and his daughter and I are good freinds at university.

QUOTE (InsurgentCell @ 20 Oct 2012, 3:33) *
Man, mandarin is like ... impossible! And i am from china xd

The writing is what kills me the most, that and regional dialects. My Mandarin is heavily Beijing accented which is the first thign people pick up on.

I shall have the next part up soon, so stay posted guys thanks for the support!

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 20 Oct 2012, 3:42

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 20 Oct 2012, 12:43
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 222

This is quite interesting story. Thumb's up.

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 20 Oct 2012, 17:10
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Interesting read. Nicely written. A pale skin European entering an Ethiopian rebel cell as a spy... guess he has excellent espionage, make up, crowd blending etc skills. Looking forward to how this turns out.

+Quote Post
flyingpancake
post 22 Oct 2012, 16:51
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9311

It's a great read, like the music you pick for it to set the mood. Hope we will quickly see more of these.

--------------------

''Commander Flyingpancake of 1st syrup to ground Luftwaffle battalion reporting''

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 23 Oct 2012, 22:07
Post #20

Group Icon

Sorry about the delay guys, I've written most of the next part, just need to finish up and edit spelling errors. Just have a major exam this friday and have been studying for that. Once it's over I'll post the next piece smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 31 Oct 2012, 1:34
Post #21

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

NOOO!! THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Please tell me your computer didn't blow up...

This post has been edited by Generalcamo: 31 Oct 2012, 1:37

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 1 Nov 2012, 1:04
Post #22

Group Icon

Sorry about the delay guys and gal's! Here's the next update smile.gif

Chapter 4: Wolf's Clothing

MEC Theme

DATELINE:
November 29th, 2039
Hamarwein
Mogadishu, Somalia

The Bakaara district of Mogadishu was an area of the city that was famous for having one of the most extensive black markets in all of Africa. It was said that you could buy anything here if you knew where to look, and despite the best efforts of the Chinese Provisional government to have the entire bazaar shut down, illegal weapons and services continued to be solicited here on a daily basis. It was the exact sort of place that you would expect to find a tavern like "The Cheetah's Haunt" and those who valued their lives, tended to avoid the dingy tavern altogether. "The Haunt" as it was colloquially known, was owned by a prominent local warlord and had for years served as a point of contact for those looking to profit in the world's second oldest profession. It was here that Jean de Beauvoir had sought to make his fortune.

Jean de Beauvoir was a man who appeared to be a mix of Arabian with a hint French, with dark brown hair and pale white skin. Jean once been part of the Legion of Raymond, a French mercenary company that despite faithfully serving various European governments for almost three decades had been cast down at the end of the GLA insurrection. Paranoid leaders and an even more paranoid people had cried for the disbandment of dozens of European private security companies, citing the number of mercenaries that fought alongside the GLA terrorists at home and abroad.

The declaration of the creation of the European Continental Alliance had rung out like a death knell for the Legion and numerous other mercenary groups, who either absorbed into the European Army, or forced overseas. Jean like many others had chosen the latter casting their lot overseas and away from the people who had betrayed them.

Jean’s first day in Africa, had been an eventful one. He had stepped off the plane in Mogadishu seeking to reverse the deteriorating trend of his personal bank accounts. The Chinese Yuan was highly regarded as being one of the most stable currencies in the world and wherever the People’s Army went, those working in Jean’s line of work could be guaranteed to follow. His credentials had been more than enough to get him on the Chinese payroll; but Jean had been quick to find out that some decisions in life pay better than others. The streets of occupied Mogadishu were rightly regarded as some of the most dangerous streets in the world, where death stalked around every corner and could strike you down before you even knew what had hit you.

Sadly, this had been the case for Jean de Beauvoir.

He patrol had come under fire in the Medina Locality, the not-so-friendly “neighbourhood watch” launching an ambush from behind splintered wood and rusted sheets of corrugated iron. It was a rookie mistake really and in hindsight any military mind would have noticed how easy it would be for a patrol to get bogged down on the dusty street. Jean had cursed himself the moment the first shots rang out, momentarily questioning how on earth he had been so god-damned stupid.

He didn't have time to think beyond that however, a loud crack announcing the beginning of a Winchester 458’s journey to the temporal bone of the Frenchman’s skull. It only took about two fifths of a second for the bullet to fly the thirty metre distance and only one fourteenth of a second for the bullet to enter Jean de Beauvoir’s brain. After that, it took just one fiftieth of a second for Jean to go from being completely alive, to brain-dead, to medically dead, a complete reversal from his previous state only a second earlier.

Back at Dragon Base a few hours later, a black stamp would be hammered down on Jean de Beauvoir’s file, leaving behind a dark red symbol which in Chinese simply meant “dead”. The gentleman stamping the file, couldn’t help but notice the number of “fours” in the man’s assigned profile number and sighed sadly. All the needed to be done now, was to send letters of condolences to his next of kin and the matter would be closed.

At least, that’s how things usually worked.

Jean de Beauvoir, despite the obvious handicap of having a lost about seventy per cent of his head, and despite his body being buried in a mass grave along with dozens of other unknown individuals, this particular Frenchman lived on after a fashion. His personal information, his past and his memories had been dredged up as best they could by the Chinese Cyber Division. Dozens of hackers and analysts had worked for days at a time finding out everything they could about Jean de Beauvoir, from his first pet’s name to the first girl he slept with. Thousands of tiny fractions of information, recovered from encrypted military servers, social media profiles and high-school reunion websites were forwarded from across the world right into the personal computer of General Han Xin, and from there right into the mind of Andrew Gabriel, who would assume the very life of the dead mercenary whom he happened to very closely resemble.

That had all been a few days ago now.

The reborn Jean de Beauvoir now sat silently at a secluded table in the Cheetah’s Haunt his face obscured by robes and his eyes stinging somewhat from the rancid smoke of cheap cigarettes and cigars. He had been waiting for over an hour now, the contact that the Chinese called “the expendable” having failed to show up on time. This wasn’t an uncommon outcome, contacts within the local militias and clans were not the most reliable sources for intelligence and there was every chance that the man may already be dead. Gabriel sighed and leaned back, casting his arms behind his head in an exaggerated yawn, notifying his Chinese handlers (who were somewhere in the crowded room) that he was calling off the meeting; they would just have to figure out another way to try and get him into the Ethiopian militia.

He stood up to leave, edging out of the booth and began making his way along the wall, avoiding the crowd of pirates and thugs that filled the tables in the middle of the room. Gabriel was suddenly struck in the back, as a door opened behind him. The agent spun around startling a woman carrying a tray arrayed with various drinks, who gave a sharp yelp before stumbling forward and tripping over a chair. The tray left her hands catapulting the drinks across the room straight onto group of men arguing loudly at a table over a game of dominoes. The sound of shattering glass was followed by a sudden silence, the rest of the tavern fixing their eyes on the men glaring at the mortified serving woman.

“It wasn't my fault!” she screamed suddenly. She thrust a finger at Gabriel who was standing behind her. “That man pushed me!”

Gabriel’s eyes widened at the accusation, and the men slowly rotated their gaze towards him. One by one, the five men rose to their feet, their nostrils flaring their faces contorted with rage. One of the men suddenly gave a yell like an angry bull, and charged from his table his fist swinging back like a boulder on a rope but it never connected. Gabriel had ducked suddenly and his foot lunged out hard at the man’s knee. As the thug fell forward, Gabriel swung out with his right arm, the momentum sending his attacker careening into a table with a sickening crunch.

Gabriel took a deep breath steadying himself as two more men rushed toward him, roaring as they closed the gap. The first man lanced a punch across the side of the agent’s face battering his cheek, but Gabriel recovered swiftly turned raising his leg and aiming a kick into the man’s stomach knocking the wind from his lungs. The second assailant leaped at Gabriel’s chest in an attempt to tackle him to the ground. Gabriel rolled with the impact, allowing him to throw the man off into the wall behind. His ears ringing, Gabriel hauled himself to his feet as a fourth attacker rushed at him with a large hunting knife, his arm thrusting wildly.

Gabriel retreated back, just barely dodging his attacker’s wild slashes. With a snarl the man suddenly launched himself forward the knife outstretched and Gabriel quickly sidestepped and locked the man’s arm under his own. The thug was momentarily pulled in and Gabriel smacked his forehead violently into the bridge of the man’s nose and collapsing him backwards onto the floor. Gabriel stumbled back, his head swirling as he looked desperately around for the fifth man.

*CRACK*

His body barely registered the rifle butt as it slammed across the back of his head. Gabriel’s vision faded to black as a group of men converged around him.

“Bring him with us” one murmured. “I think I know someone who may have a use for someone like him.”

This post has been edited by The_Hunter: 12 May 2013, 9:14

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 1 Nov 2012, 12:10
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alex1guy @ 31 Oct 2012, 22:04) *
He didn't have time to think beyond that however, a loud crack announcing the beginning of a Winchester 458’s journey to the temporal bone of the Frenchman’s skull. It only took about two fifths of a second for the bullet to fly the thirty metre distance and only one fourteenth of a second for the bullet to enter Jean de Beauvoir’s brain. After that, it took just one fiftieth of a second for Jean to go from being completely alive, to brain-dead, to medically dead, a complete reversal from his previous state only a second earlier.

Beautiful description of death, perhaps the most detailed I've seen. smile.gif

The story is getting better and better, but I was hoping for some more action in this part, but this is not a big problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 5 Nov 2012, 1:13
Post #24

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

That part, was sort of confusing. It took me a while to figure out what exactly was going on. It took me about 3 re-reads to figure it out. But now, I realize what you mean, and it is pretty satisfying.

+Quote Post
flyingpancake
post 8 Dec 2012, 12:45
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9311

I hope your still writing for this, cause i want to know where your going with this. Keep it up. laugh.gif

--------------------

''Commander Flyingpancake of 1st syrup to ground Luftwaffle battalion reporting''

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 17:52