MARS
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:06
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Tunisia, 2037
Atlas Mountains

"Hurry, into the tunnels!" Brother Captain Khalid ordered, watching the battered remains of his tank detachment get annihilated by the German Leopard 3 MBTs that made a rapid advance towards his position. In the skies above, the Goshawks of the British Royal Airforce, commonly known and feared as 'the devil's scythe' among the guerillas, swung about for another pass, unleashing a murderous hail of depleted uranium from their four 30mm autocannons and mauling several men as they dashed for shelter in the extensive cave system that ran through the mountains. Khalid was an eager GLA regular ever since the Global War on Terror. Having fought in the grand insurrection of 2028, he just could not believe that the Europeans, these seemingly weak, decadent infidels would be capable of such brutal efficiency. Even by the standards of the GLA, their newfound tenacity and viciousness were downright terrifying.

After a breathless sprint and the loss of over two dozen men, Khalid finally reached the safety of the tunnels, diving into the small entrance a mere moment before the contents of a clusterbomb detonated on the surface. One of the rookie rebels got into a panic: "This is madness! They're going to wipe us out! We are all doomed!" Khalid immediately did what was expected of a proper GLA leader, raised his trusty G3 rifle and executed the 'coward'. "Do not listen to him, my brothers! The tunnels will protect us! We must not allow these foul pigs to oppress our people!" Meanwhile, his people flocked into the ECA-controlled coastal regions, desperately trying to get away from the senseless fight that the GLA insisted to continue in the countryside. Even the thousands who had previously cheered at Deathstrike's 'glorious' victory over the Europeans a decade earlier had finally understood the reality of living under a number of regimes that were only interested in bloodshed and the pursuit of petty personal agendas. Now, they welcomed anyone who was able to provide vital necessities like food, clean water, medicine and above all else stability and safety; even if that could potentially mean the submission to a foreign power.

Khalid looked around himself, taking inventory of what was left of his unit: Fifteen weary, wounded men, some of whom had lost their weapons in the chaos, a few crates full of old mortar shells and a broken radio. There was not even much light in the cave beyond the sunbeams that fell through the entrance. "Their tanks and airplanes cannot touch us in here, my brothers", he explained. "They'll have to come in here and pull us out by hand. The moment we see someone coming through that entrance, we open up on them; take as many with us as we can!" Suddenly, the rebels heard a deep, rumbling noise. A distant artillery barrage out on the surface? No, this was different. It was a continuous tone that became louder every second, as if something was approaching from the darkness, behind the massive walls of centuries-old rock. The noise soon turned into an ear-grating screech. The entire cavern started to tremble and suddenly, a mass of pulverised rocks exploded out of a wall. "Dear heavens, what is that!?", one of the men screamed before he got splattered into chunks by a raging steel monstrosity that burst out of the rock.

Before anyone knew what was going on, the strange object hurtled towards the middle of the cavern, as if it was guided by a mind of its own, and detonated. Most of Khalid's men perished under the collapsing rocks while he himself was thrown against a wall, his left shoulder broken and disjointed by the blunt impact. Fear gripped his heart: "Brothers, whe...where are you!? What was that!?" Suddenly, he heard the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps, accompanied by the angry barking and howling of dogs. Within a single moment, an entire pack of these vicious animals rushed into the cavern through the tunnel that the drilling monstrosity had created. One of them lunged towards Khalid who swung at it with his other arm, but was quickly wrestled down by the beast as it slammed its teeth into his throat. And as he laid there, bleeding and dying, he made out the shapes of European soldiers, one of whom duly summarised his findings: "This is Gravedigger Six to Command; we've taken out the resistance in cave section Kilo. No friendly losses, zero enemy survivors. Moving on to cave section Lima, out."

With the ever shrinking influence of the United Nations in a world dominated by global superpowers and influential trade blocs, warfare in the mid-21st century became increasingly vicious as many countries no longer felt obligated to respect various treaties such as the ban on clusterbombs and anti-personnel mines. Most controversially, the European Continental Army made no secret of its newfound interest in these weapons, arguing that the use of 'terror weapons' must always be an optional deterrent against the most ruthless, uncompromising enemies and that modern 'intelligent munitions systems' would allow for an easy and safe removal of unexploded ordnance in the aftermath of a conflict. As such, the Spanish Mole Minelayer became a mainstay support vehicle for the task force and one of the few weapons that strike legitimate horror into the hearts of even the most fanatical GLA fighters. In combat, the vehicle is capable of dispensing large quantities of mines with its multi-directional launchers, creating entire fields littered with explosives within seconds. Beyond that, it is armed with the infamous 'Maulwurfsbombe' (literally 'Mole Bomb'), the militarised version of an Austrian-made, fully autonomous drilling machine that is used to cut tunnels and shafts through the Alps. The bomb can be burrowed as a stationary explosive mine or traverse a considerable distance underground to demolish enemy structures.

Aside from being Europe's first and most potent line of defence, the ECA also engages in peacekeeping and police operations in the North African protectorates. As such, the task force relies heavily on trained dogs to support its infantry in a variety of missions.

Trained for its strength, intelligence and obedience, the German Shepherd is a relatively new breed that dates back to the late 19th century. Its traits make it a prime candidate for canine operations alongside police and military units, including those of the ECA. It goes without saying that the Attack Dog is only able to combat a very narrow variety of threats, but it mangles any infantry soldier foolish enough to venture near once it's off the leash and ordered to attack. In addition to that, the dog can detect covert infiltrators and sniff out explosives. Its specially designed tactical vest is also equipped with sensors and a 360 degree camera, making it useful for reconnaissance missions thanks to its agility and good sense of orientation. Finally, the vests can also be upgraded with ceramic armour inlays that provide a high level of protection against small arms.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GuardianTempest
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:14
Post #2

Adorably Awkward Android
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1015
Back after mysteriously disappearing in 2015

And to think I was going to comment on the previous update.

You guys are like the Mary Sues of modding teams. So, how fast is the kill-rate of these dogs? Just to see if you can fend off an early rush. Also, with all these new stuff surrounded by hype, the other factions feel kinda left out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:15
Post #3

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

Unexcepted update Batman!

Wow I'm not sure what to say, never even thought I would see this coming. Getting more and more keen for the ECA

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:17
Post #4

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

I come home from the gym and now a new update has been posted (I was expecting thursday night or Friday morning by the pattern)? I certinaly didn't expect this, great job guys.

This post has been edited by dangerman1337: 16 Oct 2012, 11:18

+Quote Post
Septone
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:18
Post #5

The guy who requested for 'Battle Reports'.
Group Icon

Member No.: 9299
Just why are you reading this?

Wow! I think this is the first mod of Zero Hour that introduces Dogs... Hey how about Cats, Zebras, Giraffes, Donkey, Alligator, Dinosaurs and others? Lol. Nice by the way.... Do..og.. Ken..nel.. Hmm.. Wait in that building only one dog to train?? Is there upgrades? for Dogs??

--------------------
"When I heard a new version is coming, I knew that this is the right time to come home. So I'm fricking back, bitches."

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:33
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Is that the RA dogs I see? Man never thought anyone would make bring them in ZH, this should be interesting. So they have their own buildings? Does that mean there are more dogs on the way? Does that ceramic armour thing only for dogs or do infantry also benefit from that?

The Minelayer sounds pretty sneaky, should be good. About the mole bomb thing - so it can be used both like a demo trap or as an artillery to attack enemy buildings?

As for the lore - it's a crazy slaughter with introduction of all the shinies. I wonder how the other superpowers and international community viewed ECA's brutal, all out attack on North Africa and more and more drastic approach to warfare using stuff like anti personal mines, depleted uranium shells etc.

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 16 Oct 2012, 11:34

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:38
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

Wow ... this was ... unexpected. The rate of updating makes me think 1.8 may be out before xmas. Also DOGS ... LMAO. And is it just me but from the dog lore i get the feeling they act as ECA's scouts. Love that mole minelayer though. Really cool idea. But dogs and dog kennels ... This financial crisis really hit europe i guess if they went from awsome sensor equipment to dogs ( we are talking about at least 30 years into the future ).

+Quote Post
MARS
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:46
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 16 Oct 2012, 12:33) *
Is that the RA dogs I see? Man never thought anyone would make bring them in ZH, this should be interesting. So they have their own buildings? Does that mean there are more dogs on the way? Does that ceramic armour thing only for dogs or do infantry also benefit from that?

The Minelayer sounds pretty sneaky, should be good. About the mole bomb thing - so it can be used both like a demo trap or as an artillery to attack enemy buildings?

As for the lore - it's a crazy slaughter with introduction of all the shinies. I wonder how the other superpowers and international community viewed ECA's brutal, all out attack on North Africa and more and more drastic approach to warfare using stuff like anti personal mines, depleted uranium shells etc.

As of now, this'll be the only dog unit for the ECA as it pretty much serves every purpose a canine can have in the military. It attacks infantry, acts as the ECA's scout and detects stealthed infantry and traps. Not vehicles though, they use something else for that. Also, before anyone points out the obvious potential of using these things to cripple the GLA early on, dogs are designed to have very weak health prior to the Ceramic Armour upgrade, which is available at Tier-1 and increases their health substantially. As it stands, it'll also affect infantry units.

The Mole does exactly three things:
- Dispense China-style minefields on the spot
- Place a Mole Bomb that acts similar to a Demo Trap
- Deploy a Mole Bomb range that smashes into a structure

Lore-wise, it should be noted that the ECA only -fights- extremely ferociously, considering the massive hate-on they have against the GLA. Their treatment of the local civilian population is a lot more humane as they are trying to win them over, which was described in 'Risen from Ruins'. As for the international community, I suppose the other superpowers simply aren't in any position to complain with the US cook-popping people with microwaves or zapping them with lasers, China just torching everything to hell with napalm and tac-nukes and Russia throwing all sorts of indiscriminate explosive nasties around. Plus, there would obviously be a common mindset that 'It's just the GLA, ffs!'

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:51
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Wonderful surprise!

Only one word can set the SWR Team: CREATIVITY. The boldness of you developers do not have limits, you guys are doing the fans of Rise of the Reds very happy. wink.gif

The content of the story was very good, well describes the horrors of the war against the GLA while laying a good dose of drama in the narrative.

The Mole Minelayer is simply unique, he probably will have the ability to 'empty' the GLA tunnels and structures occupied right?

This post has been edited by __CrUsHeR: 16 Oct 2012, 11:52

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:52
Post #10

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (MARS @ 16 Oct 2012, 12:46) *

Does that mean that mine clearing will be done by the ECA Dozer or will we be seeing something special for them?

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
wb21
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:53
Post #11

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Didn't expect to see attack dogs here, an innovation in a ZH mod.
One question on the minelayer: does its mine plow and flail can be used to clear mines or just plain cosmetics?

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 16 Oct 2012, 11:53
Post #12

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

QUOTE (MARS @ 16 Oct 2012, 11:46) *
As of now, this'll be the only dog unit for the ECA as it pretty much serves every purpose a canine can have in the military. It attacks infantry, acts as the ECA's scout and detects stealthed infantry and traps. Not vehicles though, they use something else for that. Also, before anyone points out the obvious potential of using these things to cripple the GLA early on, dogs are designed to have very weak health prior to the Ceramic Armour upgrade, which is available at Tier-1 and increases their health substantially. As it stands, it'll also affect infantry units.

Lore-wise, it should be noted that the ECA only -fights- extremely ferociously, considering the massive hate-on they have against the GLA. Their treatment of the local civilian population is a lot more humane as they are trying to win them over, which was described in 'Risen from Ruins'. As for the international community, I suppose the other superpowers simply aren't in any position to complain with the US cook-popping people with microwaves or zapping them with lasers, China just torching everything to hell with napalm and tac-nukes and Russia throwing all sorts of indiscriminate explosive nasties around. Plus, there would obviously be a common mindset that 'It's just the GLA, ffs!'

Doesn't the mine layer also remove enemy explosives i.e. Chinese mines, demo traps and so on?

Honestly sometimes I wish the SWR made RotR on a new engine to get away from the shitty limitations of ZH SAGE, heck I would PAY for it.

This post has been edited by dangerman1337: 16 Oct 2012, 11:55

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:02
Post #13

The X General
Group Icon

Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 16 Oct 2012, 18:53) *
Honestly sometimes I wish the SWR made RotR on a new engine to get away from the shitty limitations of ZH SAGE...

You do realize that would mean they'd have to remake everything right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:04
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

QUOTE (MARS @ 16 Oct 2012, 16:46) *

Then what are the functions of the dog kennel? It can't be there only to train a single unit and research one or two upgrades...

So the ECA dedicated scout is going to be able to attack units (even if it's only infantry) unlike that of the other factions. Should be interesting to see how that'll effect things. Goes without saying making a scout being able to attack is an unique feature and innovative thinking on that.

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 16 Oct 2012, 12:05

+Quote Post
MARS
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:10
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 16 Oct 2012, 13:04) *
Then what are the functions of the dog kennel? It can't be there only to train a single unit and research one or two upgrades...

So the ECA dedicated scout is going to be able to attack units (even if it's only infantry) unlike that of the other factions. Should be interesting to see how that'll effect things. Goes without saying making a scout being able to attack is an unique feature and innovative thinking on that.

The upgrade will be available at the Tier-1 tech structure, not the Kennel itself. And yes, it does only provide you those rather versatile dogs, but the Kennel is neither very large nor particularly expensive.
It's not as much of a waste as it may seem and I suppose a little disadvantage in the scouting department to make up for the RC's anti-rush garrison seems like a fair trade-off.

+Quote Post
PiratesYarrr
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:37
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9244

Will it wag its tail adorably?

--------------------
Victorus aut Mortis!

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:41
Post #17

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (PiratesYarrr @ 16 Oct 2012, 6:37) *
Will it wag its tail adorably?

Yes.

They also know "paw"

Brace for screenshots on facebook briefly I8.gif

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:49
Post #18

Group Icon

Another question:

The dog can be transported as a conventional infantry unit?

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:56
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

Oh, nice updates. Glad to see more of old C&C stuff around.

On a related not-too-serious note, how bout making Russia revive Soviet anti-tank dog program?

http://twentytwowords.com/2011/03/30/anti-...s-and-exploded/

Dogs for everyone!
(yeah, I know it'll be considered a black humour by animal defenders, etc. Still, this is what took place in RL on pretty large scale and in prolonged period of time - 1930-1996)

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 16 Oct 2012, 12:57

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 16 Oct 2012, 12:57
Post #20

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 16 Oct 2012, 6:56) *
Oh, nice updates. Glad to see more of old C&C stuff around.

On a related note, how bout making Russia revive Soviet anti-tank dog program?

http://twentytwowords.com/2011/03/30/anti-...s-and-exploded/

Dogs for everyone!
(yeah, I know it'll be considered a black humour by animal defenders, etc. Still, this is what took place in RL on pretty large scale and in prolonged period of time - 1930-1996)

Not likely. Ever.

ECA will also have Dogs exclusively to them. And no, we're not adding Bears for Russia because that would be retarded.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Oct 2012, 13:03
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (Comr4de @ 16 Oct 2012, 14:57) *
Not likely. Ever.

ECA will also have Dogs exclusively to them. And no, we're not adding Bears for Russia because that would be retarded.

Ehh, here goes my hope about Alexander's Tesla Bears, accompanied by revived Volkov and Chitzkoi projects. 8I.png
On a more serious note, would be damn happy to see Experimental Weapons general reviving Volkov project as his Hero Unit, with unique upgrades and gameplay. But I guess it's just me. Bringing in good old Teslas was already a great move.

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 16 Oct 2012, 13:08

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 16 Oct 2012, 13:05
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 16 Oct 2012, 13:49) *
The dog can be transported as a conventional infantry unit?

Nope and to be frank they don't need it.

Dogs can run faster than humvees can drive mindfuck.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 16 Oct 2012, 13:10
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 16 Oct 2012, 9:05) *

Very good to know.

These beasts could swim, it would be interesting to cross the water and go kill the enemy infantry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 16 Oct 2012, 13:15
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 16 Oct 2012, 15:05) *

Whoa.
2 questions - whats the build order for dog kennel, and how fast can 1 dog take care out of 5 gla workers at the supply depot?
i.e., is it possible to combine them with apc/infantry rush, or just go early dog to greatly hinder GLA expansion attempts, if he'll be sending out workers into all directions to build his tunnels/dushkas from the very start? (say, on small chokepoint map, like Unity A)

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 16 Oct 2012, 13:16

+Quote Post
aeroth
post 16 Oct 2012, 13:31
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9121

SWR is on fire gun8.gif

Epic minelayer and thouse dogs....damn i love dogs :X beer1.gif

This post has been edited by aeroth: 16 Oct 2012, 13:36

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 8:34