Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

China is to RoTR as Soviets is to YR
Inst
post 5 Jan 2019, 20:11
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19197

I'm wondering if anyone has the same feeling, but China is quite similar to the Soviets of Yuri's Revenge. In Yuri's Revenge, the cool parts of the Soviets (Cloning Vats, Yuri) was moved off to its own faction, making it relatively boring compared to its RA2 incarnation. The Soviets did get the Siege Chopper, which functions as an interesting Rocketeer variant, but otherwise the Soviets became boring, although I hear that in the modern pro play, Soviets are the strongest side.

With the removal of Neutron Shells, China is a rather straightforward faction that specializes in brute force operations. If you say, look at the Zerg of Starcraft, they weren't simply an outnumbering force, but emphasized mobility (zerglings, hydralisks were reasonably fast with upgrades, nydus canals gave incredible mobility) and expansion capability.

I understand the need of game designers to emphasize the difference between the Chinese and Russian factions; the Russians are supposed to be more high-tech than the Chinese, but the RoTR Chinese are almost lower tech in feel than the GLA. I mean, you gave them a MiG-21 / J-7 as a bomber, and the MiG-21 costs more than a MiG 1.44.

How about some newer kit? If, as the storyline goes, the Chinese are a major superpower, their technology should have improved as well, so why not, as in real life, remote-controlled drones? The Chinese dominate the military drone market because the US is loathe to export drone technology. Or how about a J-20 as a limit 1 unit that specializes in late-game reconnaissance and interception? Or we can go the same route as in Yuri's Revenge, and give the Chinese cheap, spammable helicopters (WZ-19)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 15 Jan 2019, 12:47
Post #2

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

Horde mode hackers is terrifying. Please post that shit as NSFW in the future

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 13:34