Air war in Europe, Story of Major Nikolai Shoigu
3rdShockArmy
post 8 Oct 2015, 12:05
Post #26

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11096
If you ever decide to invade Russia, for the love of God, bring some warm clothes. We don't want you to blame the "evil Russian winter" when you get crushed, like everyone else who tried.

Story of Major Nikolai Shoigu
PART XI

A particularly unnerving silence filled the office. Alexeiev still kept his sinister smile, while neither Nikolai nor Stechin had the courage to speak. At least at the moment.
"What is it? You look like you're being taken in front of a firing squad in a minute or two.", Alexeiev broke the unpleasant moment, still smiling.
"What's this supposed to mean? Why are we here? You're obviously sober. So you were just fooling around with us. What's all this?", Nikolai broke the ice on their side.
Alexeiev: "It is what it says. You are literate, are you?"
Stechin was a bit drunk: "So all those songs and jokes... That was all false? My jokes weren't that funny?"
"Hahahaha, they were... they were... hilarious... Was that what you expected?",Alexeiev was making a point.
Stechin just looked down.
"What kind of a GRU Colonel keeps his ID in a wallet, for Christs' sake!?", Nikolai asked with a healthy dose of suspicion.
Alexeiev: "The one that gets 'drunk' and 'accidentally' drops his wallet."
Nikolai: "If you wanted us to know, why just not say so?"
"Just say so? So I come and say: 'Sup guys? Hey, you know what? I'm GRU!' You would have laughed to your deaths. This way I got to see your faces when you saw that ID. Oh, boy! You should have seen those looks on your faces! Especially you Stechin. Dropping the wallet and all! Hahaha!", Alexeiev laughed loudly.
The Majors just starred. All this was quite amusing for the GRU Colonel. For them? It was quite shocking. All kinds of thoughts were going through their heads: "What was military version of the old KGB doing here? And what did it want from them? Were they in trouble?" All these questions layed unanswered.
Stechin: "So, what now? What are we even supposed to call you? Major, Colonel? What do you want from us?"
Alexeiev paused for a second and than changed face from a laughing to very serious one: "Out there, I'm still a Major. But here I'm your commanding intelligence officer. And in GRU, you're just privates. Regular military ranks don't have anything to do with GRU ranks, except in some cases. We report directly to the President and sometimes, not even to him. Now what I'm about to say never happened past those doors, unless I say otherwise!
You see, believe it or not, I'm here to recruit your, as far as I'm concerned, completely unadequate, incompetent sorry asses to serve the most secret and important interests of the Motheland. In other words, some, obviously blind, deaf and brain-dead branch executive deemed you as 'intelligence-worthy material'. I protested, of course, but to no avail.
Ok, enough chit-chat. Here's the deal.
The Head of the Board of Executives has some solid proofs that a 'certain General' is a serious liability. Let me give you a hint; it isn't the one commanding the Air-bourne Troops and it isn't the one commanding the Tactical Rocket Forces. I wonder, who it might be? Anyway, I'll leave that to you.
You see, there are two things that can happen. We can win this war or we can lose it. So, in both scenarios, they won't be coming to Moscow unless they want a nuclear Armageddon. In case we win here in Europe, the 'certain General' will try to take over the power immediately and by then he will have hundreds of thousands of troops at his disposal, plus the most advanced weapons that Motherland has. It won't be easy to kill the SOB. But, we can't win this without him, nor we can defend if all this goes bust. Our mission is to be a part of a huge group whose task is to assess the situation and act accordingly. If he's winning, good. We let him do his thing. If he's loosing, we fight together to halt the West. But if he starts winning and doing it fast, we have to be ready to remove him, both militarily, politically and physically if necessary, because he'll use his current power to gain even more power and than, gentlemen, we're screwed, to put it mildly. Hell, we even have indications that he's planning to invade China, 'after we defeat' the West. SOB plans to leave Russia blood-dried."
"Oh, shit! How the fuck did we got into this shit!? This is geopolitics! This is way out of our league, Niko.", Stechin was shocked and upset.
Alexeiev: "Yes! That's exactly what I told the big guys! But they didn't listen. And lets just keep our voices down a bit."
Nikolai: "I suppose all this isn't an offer?"
Alexeiev: "No, unfortunately it isn't."
Stechin: "So what exactly are we supposed to do?"
Alexeiev: "For now, you'll stay here. We need you to do whatever you're assigned to and I'll even overemphasize your role and contribution, if necessary, because at one point, we'll send you to Berlin with all those decorations and medals. He will be impressed and you might end up in those airbases under his command. You might even become somewhat close with him and be a valuable asset to us. Just so you know, these are executives' words, not mine. I mean, I came a bit rough and don't get me wrong, I think you two are great pilots, but I think you just suck at intelligence work. Lets hope you'll prove me wrong, for your sake, for my sake. Hell, maybe even for Motherlands' sake.
Ok, nuff of this patriotic BSing. We have a mission to do in few days. Be ready. You're free to go. And remember well what I've told you."
The two stunned Majors stood up, saluted and went out.
"My Dad was right. So many times he said: 'Victor, my son, whatever you do, don't get into politics and don't ever, ever trash-talk your superiors in front of others, especially when they start it.' And I did exactly that. In front of a fucking GRU Colonel.", Stechin was full of remorse.
"Well, we said we would do anything to get that SOB. I guess we finally got the chance. You know what they say. Be careful what you wish for.", Nikolai noticed.
Stechin: "You know what? All this shit was so much sobering and I seriously need a drink."
"You know, I'm with you on this one. Lets go!", Nikolai responded while patting Stechins' back.

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 8 Oct 2015, 12:19

--------------------
Oh Lord, have mercy, for I am unworthy!

Air war in Europe

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
M.P
post 17 Oct 2015, 11:56
Post #27

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10559

I really really really enjoyed it. Good job my Comrade smile.gif

This post has been edited by M.P: 17 Oct 2015, 11:59

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 17 Oct 2015, 14:29
Post #28

Chat Nick
Group Icon

If you ever decide to invade Russia, for the love of God, bring some warm clothes. We don't want you to blame the "evil Russian winter" when you get crushed, like everyone else who tried.

QUOTE (M.P @ 17 Oct 2015, 12:56) *
I really really really enjoyed it. Good job my Comrade smile.gif

Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it, Comrade. More will come. smile.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
LoneRebel
post 31 Oct 2015, 11:09
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 11110

Oh, the plot's really heating up now! They've been drafted into some kind of special unit that's going to act against Aleksandr if necessary. Not going to lie, I didn't expect that plot twist.

Let me give you a hint; it isn't the one commanding the Air-bourne Troops and it isn't the one commanding the Tactical Rocket Forces. I wonder, who it might be?

I actually laughed out loud for real when I read this part.

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 31 Oct 2015, 17:23
Post #30

Chat Nick
Group Icon

I was in the middle of writing a part in which there were some airbattles and bombings, when it hit me.
Why would I write a string of constant dogfights, when I can make a story way more interesting in this way. I won't leave the current context (I'm limited by the title), but I'm just gonna build on/expand it. Neither Nikolai nor Stechin will be leaving the Air Force. They just got themselves in a mess, which will (or it should, at least) make the whole story more appealing.
When I started it, I never thought it would go beyond just a few parts, otherwise I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot with the current title.
I'm glad you loved it. smile.gif
Some people may hate sarcasm, but not me. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 31 Oct 2015, 17:26

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 31 Oct 2015, 17:36
Post #31

Group Icon

Um, no updates? I'm still waiting tongue.gif

(Update it or you'll face my rocket rifle)

This post has been edited by M.P: 31 Oct 2015, 17:38

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 31 Oct 2015, 17:39
Post #32

Chat Nick
Group Icon

I've been busy lately, but I'll definitely continue this. smile.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 9 Nov 2015, 21:49
Post #33

Chat Nick
Group Icon

PART XII

It was just another busy day at Suvorov2. Constant fly-overs by various aircraft and hundreds of engineers with their hands fool of work on repairing and servicing.
At one moment, another well-known and rightfully hated sound was heard from the Early Warning Tower.
"Oh, God, not again! Those fuckin' Euros and Yanks and their damn raids! Why doesn't Zhukov sends just a few of those Topols at them!? Just one or two!", Stechin had a severe hangover from yesterday.
"You know, if you stopped shouting, maybe some of us here could sleep. How about that, Stechin?", Nikolai was barely speaking after his first hangover in the past couple of years.
Stechin: "Oh, stop whinin', Niko! You can't possibly not hate that horrible sound."
Nikolai: "I'm whinin'!? You're the one complaining ever since we got here! Man-up, will ya! And it's almost 8. Get the fuck up!"

The big speakers of the Control Tower soon announced:
"'Yuri Dolgorukiy' is under attack! All available personnel is to proceed to their battle posts. Pilots are to be airborne immediately. This is not a drill!"

Nikolai: "Get up! Let's move!"

Still trying to get dressed, the staff of the base were bumping into eachother. Soon, the two Majors were at the runway.
Alexeiev was standing at his Sokol, shouting at them to get into theirs. Majors compiled. When they got in, the comlink was already on.

"What's goin' on, Col... Alexeiev?", Nikolai barely held his tongue.
"We still don't know. Those aren't airplanes. It's probably some land incursion. Nothing major I hope.", Alexeiev responded with a slight deprecation in his voice over Nikolais' clumsy reference to his GRU rank.
"It certainly isn't a walk in the park, otherwise they wouldn't alarm all of us.", Stechin noticed.
"Alright now. Listen carefully! We should scan the area immediately! It seems that the 'Yuri Dolgorukiy' is under a heavy artillery strike.", Alexeiev gave the order.

Soon, all three of them were airborne. At one moment the Early Warning Outpost stopped sending any of the scan data to the jets.

Nikolai: "They either got the damn Euro artillery or that Outpost is taken out."
A moment later the Control Tower dispatched the message about the Outpost lost to the artillery fire.
"Fuck, we're blind now!", Alexeiev was upset.
"Command, this is Major Yuri Alexeiev speaking. We are in urgent need of air-superiority aircraft! Our Early Warning Outpost was just lost to enemy fire! Respond ASAP!", he added.
"Suvorov2, this is division Command Hannover! We're sending 6 Berkuts to your aid! Good luck out there!", operator dispatched the good news.
"Thank you! We need those badly! Major Alexeiev out!", he responded.
"How long will it take for those Su-47s to get here?", Stechin asked.
Alexeiev: "They'll be here soon enough to save our asses. That's all we need to know now."

The Sokols were scanning a vast area around the bases, but there was still nothing to be found.

"Where the hell are those mortars!?", Stechin was merely being rhetorical.
"Oh, shit! Exactly! Stechin, you're a genius!", it sounded like Nikolai snapped suddenly.
Stechin: "Thanks. I guess. Wait, what did I do exactly?"
"Because those things out there aren't mortars! Damn! Good thinking. Let me check with the base!", Alexeiev added after a moment of thinking.
Nikolai: "Where's the least defended spot at the frontline?"
Alexeiev: "Bocholt. Around 60 km from... Shit! That's where they're firing from. Base, is there any information from Northwestern frontline sector?"
"We have information that the areas near the Dutch border are under attack and a considerable number of US/ECA SpecOp teams possibly infiltrated the region.", dispatcher responded.
Alexeiev: "Could you provide me with any details? More specifically about Bocholt."
Dispatcher: "Give me a minute, Sir."
Stechin: "Will anyone tell me what a hell is going on? Specifically."
He was ignored.
Dispatcher: "Sir, we have very bad news!"
Alexeiev: "Well, spit it out! We haven't got much time!"
Dispatcher: "Our lines have been broken in multiple places along the entire Northwestern sector. And Sir, Bocholt has been overrun half an hour ago."
Nikolai: "Score one for the military intelligence."
Stechin: "Jesus! What are we supposed to do!?
Alexeiev: "Put ourselves together. I can think of only one thing that can fire that far and that's a bit more of a third of it's range. We would be lucky if mortars were firing at us. Come on! Let's move! We can't wait for the Berkuts. God knows how many of those Claymores are firing now. The entire Northwestern Germany is practically at their mercy."
Stechin: "But how are we gonna get them? They must be heavily guarded."
Nikolai: "Let's hope they're not."
Alexeiev: "Base, I want every available engineer to start setting up a new Early Warning Outpost. We might be attacked by a stealth aircraft any moment. And all conscript are to watch closely on any possible intruders. Those sneaky Brits and Yanks might already be in the area."
Nikolai: "I don't get it. How could there be an all-out attack on hundreds of miles of front without us being warned?"
Stechin: "The damn Shock Divisions were probably over-confident. Now we must cleanup their mess."

Three Sokols were moving fast towards the old Dutch border. Alexeiev gave the order to split in order to locate the monstrosities more efficiently.

"My systems detected 3 Claymores! They are 6 km inside Dutch territory.", Stechin informed them.
Alexeiev: "Great job! Let's move!"

Heavy fighting continued over the entire NW sector. This was one of the most massive surprise attacks ever conducted by the Europeans. The Claymores were relatively safe miles behind the ECA frontlines. ECA commanders who planned the operation were obviously confident that it will be a huge success. And they were partially right. Not the best coordination between highly trained and disciplined troops of Generals Zhukov and Orlov and heavy-handed, hot-headed Shock Divisions under the command of General Aleksandr was one of the main reasons for the dire situation in which the once-invincible "western" group of armies was.
What Alexeiev anticipated proved to be true. Only two Gepards and a larger unit of Felins guarded the Claymores.

Alexeiev: "Get ready. Those Gepards aren't the problem. I'm more concerned about so many of those pesky MANPADS-armed Felins."
Nikolai: "Don't worry, Alexeiev. We can do this. We just need a good coordination. Everyone should pick a target closest to himself."
Stechin: "I'll be firing first."
Alexeiev: "No! We'll do it at the same time. We need all the confusion we can create. Get ready!"

A few minutes later, six missiles were fired creating huge explosions close to eachother and completely dazzling the Europeans. A deafening sound of a massive barrage went silent and gave way to short Gepard autocannon bursts and a lot longer sound of frightened Felins in disarray, where only a few were able to lock on and even fewer to fire on the Sokols. How confident the Europeans were about this operation can also be observed in the fact that there was no direct tactical US air support. Although, when the three Majors returned to their base, they saw the results of the more important US strategic bombing. Apparently, unknown number of Nighthawks, presumably 4, managed to drop high-ordnance laser-guided Bunker-busters, three of which heavily damaged the facilities of "Yuri Dolgorukiy" and one of them destroyed the Suvorov2 Helipad and partially damaged the runway. It was still fully operative, thou.

Nikolai: "My God! Look at that crater where the Helipad used to be!"
Stechin: "Sons of bitches! They probably knew about the operation and decided to counterattack!"

The Sokols finally landed. Alexeiev kept quiet.
"You did good there, boys. You did good. This would have been even worse.", he praised the Majors silently.

"Major! Major, Commanders of the 'Yuri Dolgorukiy' asked for our help! They have a lot of casualties and damaged facilities, but the bulk of their forces were already on their way to reinforce the NW sector. They won't be able to send any units to the French border, so the entire operation's called off.", a barely breathing Control Tower operator ran into them.
Alexei: "Ok, send all available personnel to their aid. I want Su-50s refueled and rearmed ASAP!"
Operator nodded and ran back.
Alexeiev turned to the Majors: "Now you two listen! If we get through this, I'll get you those medals and decorations. You deserved them anyway. And two tickets to Berlin. This is it. There's no pulling back from this one!"

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 9 Nov 2015, 22:25

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 17 Nov 2015, 1:01
Post #34

Chat Nick
Group Icon

PART XIII

Despite the general mayhem in which they were, Alexeiev, Nikolai, Stechin and the rest of the staff in the base did their best to keep things running and the GRU Colonel was quite satisfied by the everyones' professional conduct. It was indeed the best they were able to do in this dire situation.

Dispatcher: "Major Alexeiev, the 6 Su-47s sent from the Hanover Command are about to arrive. Should we give them permission to land?"
Alexeiev: "Good. Is that Outpost ready?"
Dispatcher: "No, Sir. Not yet. The engineers will need at least half an hour more."
Alexeiev: "Unless those Berkuts aren't low on fuel, they're the overwatch. Alexeiev out."
Dispatcher: "Yes, Sir! Roger that."

Nikolai: "Those damn Hawks can already be on their way here. Again."
Stechin: "I doubt that. They wouldn't wait so long."
Alexeiev: "You know what those damn Yanks say, 'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'. And they're right.
Lets go. Those Sokols should be ready by now."

The three Majors walked into the hangar. A dozen of technicians were setting up the jets.

"They'll be ready to go in a minute, Major. Just checking if everything's up and running.", one of the technicians reported.
Alexeiev: "Good, good. You guys do your thing and we might just thwart this offensive and avenge our fallen brothers and comrades."
"Yes, Major. Absolutely.", they said almost simultaneously.

In the meantime, 6 Berkuts were arriving. Air-superiority was finally established over the Suvorov2. The three Majors were waiting nervously, while outside of the hangar, a large number of air-base personnel were cleaning up the mess left by the US air attacks. The new Helipad was being setup, slowly but steadily. "Yuri Dolgorukiy", on the other hand, was in much worse shape. Being hit by 3 bunker-busters was a huge problem. The facilities were heavily damaged and it would take days to repair all those destroyed buildings and basic infrastructure. All this was extremely dangerous for Russias' war efforts in this part of the front, because non of the facilities were able to produce the much needed machinery and weapons in the meantime and after the French nuclear bombings there was a severe chronic lack of weaponry and well-equiped troops to fill the ranks. All this lead to a disastrous situation at the frontlines and this particular massive attack in the NW was the last thing Russia needed. Poor coordination between the hated Shock divisions and the regular troops was also a major contributor, but the heroic and often completely self-initiative acts of some of the Commanders made the whole situation less of a disaster.

"These babies are locked and loaded, Major. You just have to hop in.", the leading technician reported.

Alexeiev: "Great. Lets go, boys. We're heading to the northwest. Our plan for the counteroffensive to the French border may be, lets say 'postponed', but we still have a no less important mission to stop this attack."
Nikolai: "Where exactly are we going?"
Alexeiev: "I'll upload the data to both of you via our com-link as soon as we get into the cockpits."
Stechin: "What are we waitin' for, then? Lets get goin'!"

A minute later, they were airborne. The smoke was still seen from the nearby "Yuri Dolgorukiy" base. After Alexeiev uploaded the location it was clear that the target was a large tank column, headed by a Manticore, just outside of Krefeld.

Nikolai: "Shit. They're practically at our door."
Stechin: "If Krefeld falls, Duisburg and Dusseldorf, Essen and finally Dortmund will be jeopardized. This entire con-urbation will turn into a bloody and messy battlefield."
Alexeiev: "Well, that's exactly why we're here. We'll do our best to try to stop it."

This discussion was soon interrupted by the message dispatched to Alexeiev of the need to coordinate their actions with Colonel Mikhail Pogosyan. He was the commanding officer at "Yuri Dolgorukiy".

"Major Yuri Alexeiev speaking. I understand we're working together after all, Colonel.", Alexeiev dispatched the message.
"Lookin' forward to seein' you, Major. And those nasty birds of yours. Especially those birds. I understand two veteran heroes are flyin' with you. Good to know. How you're hanging in there, boys?"
Nikolai: "Thank you for that reference, Sir, but we're all doin' a part here. You're no less famous for your actions, Colonel."
Pogosyan: "Alright, alright. Don't get all sentimental now. Now, how about we make sure that the "Ivan the Terrible" gets a better end than our 'beloved' Emperors' nickname."
Stechin: "We'll do our best, Sir. And really? Which was the genius who named this operation?"
Pogosyan: "Um.. that would be me, Major."
"Oh, shit! Why does this has to happen to me all the time!?", Stechin thought and than tried to apologize: "Oh, I didn't know, Sir! I thought..."
"It's ok, Major. Don't worry about it. My soldiers already gave their opinion. Collectively.", Colonel interrupted Stechin, resulting in a loud laughter by Pogosyans' soldiers on their side of the comlink.
Alexeiev: "I just got a message that the Early Warning Outpost will be ready in a few minutes. Six Berkuts will be coming to our aid. They'll provide air-cover together with those Grumbles in Dortmund and could also take care of light vehicles and large groups of enemy infantry."
Pogosyan: "Even better. You'll soon fly over us. That Manticore is 20 klicks to the south of our position. You try to take it out first, cause those damn nanobots are a real pain in the ass. As soon as we get the reconnaissance data from your onboard computers, we're coming right there."
Alexeiev: "Very well, Sir. Proceeding to the target."
Pogosyan: "Good luck and be careful. Over and out."

The Sokols were flying towards the ECA battlegroup. Soon, their radars spotted multiple targets moving fast to Pogosyans' units.

Stechin: "What are those?"
Nikolai: "I'm getting 6, 7... no 8 Tigers converging on Colonels position!"
Alexeiev: "Damn! There are also two Harriers a couple of klicks behind them!"
Nikolai: "We need to warn the Colonel immediately!"
"Let me try to get those Berkuts here first.", Alexeiev responded and than continued: "Suvorov2, Major Alexeiev speaking. Is that Outpost ready?"
Dispatcher: "Not just yet, Sir. We need a couple of minutes more."
Alexeiev: "Oh, what a hell. Send those Berkuts here. I'm sending you the target data now. By the way, who's leading the squadron?"
Dispatcher: "Some Captain Agatov. He got redeployed from Dresden. On his own request. Can you believe? Who'd be crazy enough for something like that?"
Alexeiev was somewhat angered by the comment so he ignored the rest of the things dispatcher said: "Ok, thank you. Over and out! Idiot."
He continued: "Guess what, guys? An old friend of yours is commanding the 47s."
Stechin: "Really? Which one?"
"Wait and see for yourselves.", Alexeiev responded.
Nikolai: "I got the column! It's 4 klicks to the south. Ah, there you are. I can see the Manticore. You're about to see it. It's the largest on our radars."
Alexeiev: "Let me just warn Pogosyan about those birds coming on his way."

Soon after Alexeiev warned the Colonels unit, he gave the order:
"It's time for a real air-show!"

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 17 Nov 2015, 9:30

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
chemisthypnos
post 22 Nov 2015, 7:34
Post #35

Group Icon

Member No.: 12033

I love the story. I enjoy it so much that I marathoned it all in one night. Keep up the great work!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 22 Nov 2015, 14:43
Post #36

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Thanks, man. I'm glad you like it. There'll be more parts in the foreseeable future.
And as I always say, everyone are completely free to criticize what ever they (don't) like. Feedback is always welcomed. smile.gif

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 22 Nov 2015, 14:44

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 22 Nov 2015, 15:12
Post #37

Group Icon

Nice update smile.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 22 Nov 2015, 16:21
Post #38

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Thanks. Since I'm tryin' to push this into cannon, if possible, the Shock Divisions are the bad guys here (please don't use the Tesla gun on me, because, you know, it'd be a kind of an irony for a Serb to be killed by something that another Serb invented, which leaves you with only the rocket rifle (what a relief) tongue.gif biggrin.gif).
So, the story doesn't reflect all of my attitudes and I just wanted to give the Russians as much human face as possible, because they are the "bad guys" here. The whole story does shows them as humans and it's not all that one-sided, but the Shock Divisions are shown as some form of Russian-style SS, although they were probably directly and more straightforwardly inspired by a RL Soviet Shock armies of the WW2. So I can't do much about that (despite Aleksandr being one of my favourite generals).

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
chemisthypnos
post 5 Dec 2015, 19:17
Post #39

Group Icon

Member No.: 12033

General Aleksandr is my favorite general. (Probably because his name is said the same way mine is!) I can't wait for the next iteration of this story.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 6 Dec 2015, 2:38
Post #40

Chat Nick
Group Icon

I'll do my best. I have some ideas. I'm glad that people like it. Maybe it's too big for some people (honestly, I didn't expect it'll last this long), but currently, there isn't some big plan. I'm doing this on the run.

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 10 Jan 2016, 19:28
Post #41

Chat Nick
Group Icon

PART XIV

The Su-50s were converging on the Manticores' position.
Alexeiev: "This is it! On my mark, we fire the missiles at the same time. Nikolai you..."
A strange alert interrupted Alexeiev.
Nikolai: "What? What's wrong, Alexeiev?"
Alexeiev: "I can't target the Manticore! It's like there's a fricken blackhole in it's place now!"
Stechin: "The same is with me! What a hell is going on? Are our targeting systems working at all?"
Nikolai: "I can lock-on those Geppards and Leopards, but not the Manticore. Nothing's wrong with the targeting. It's somethin' else."
Stechin: "Oh, shit! I know what it is! Remember what happened in Marseille last year?"
Nikolai: "What happened in Mars... Oh, for fucks' sake! Not again!"
Alexeiev: "What? What's going on?"
"C'mon, Alexeiev. You're a G...", Stechin stopped when he realized that he was about to blow Alexeievs' GRU cover and continued: "You're an experienced pilot. Is it possible you've never encountered these things?"
"Oh, God! These idiots will blow my cover, ruin years of intelligence work, compromise the entire operation and probably get me killed in process!, Alexeiev thought and than responded: "What things? What are you talking about?"
Nikolai: "Anvils! Fucking Anvils! This is how they work. They mess up your targeting!"
Alexeiev: "Shit! I know about Anvils! I just didn't thought they got past the prototype phase. But still, how the hell can they disrupt Sokols' targeting!? That's impossible! It has the best targeting system in the world!"
Stechin: "That's exactly the point! We don't have a slightest clue how does it work! The Euros are keeping at as a highly guarded top secret. We'd need to capture one."
Alexeiev was in a very difficult position now. He had the secret orders to capture any experimental weapon he could, but this was pretty much impossible. Especially considering the fact that the ECA battlegroup was heading towards Pogosyans' troops.
Nikolai: "What a hell are we gonna do? Should we attack the rest of the group?"
Alexeiev: "Just let me think for a moment, guys!"
Nikolai and Stechin kept quiet.
It was a very hard decision. All GRU assets "on the ground" had the same order. Capture ECA high-tech. At any cost, if necessary. Alexeiev knew that the Hanover Command would get the after-mission reports. And Anvils would be at the very heart of the attention. Especially for the GRU department. And if he destroyed it now, he would be responsible for failing to follow the orders coming from the top.
Alexeiev: "Major Yuri Alexeiev speaking. Colonel Pogosyan, do you read me?"
Pogosyan: "I read you, Major. We've got two Grumbles further behind our lines. They'll take care of those Tigers and Harrier. Besides, the Berkuts are on their way here, as we speak."
Alexeiev: "Yes, Sir, but that isn't what I'm trying to say. Sir, we have a serious problem."
Pogosyan: "Well, spit it out. What's wrong?"
Alexeiev: "That Manticore. We can't take it out. It's protected by an Anvil Bot."
Pogosyan: "Shit! Can you take out the Anv... Nevermind. Try to take out as much armour as you can. Leave the Manticore to me. My Sent is more than a match for it. My problem is that we need to get to other parts of the frontline. Our guys are getting pounded by those damn Euros. This just means more of our guys dead in other parts of the front."
Alexeiev: "Yes Sir! You heard the Colonel, guys. Let's move."
Pogosyan wasn't GRU, but he was a high-ranking officer and he had the same orders as Alexeiev did. They were never to talk about it to anyone, thou and this was the first time the experienced, old Colonel was to encounter an Anvil Bot.

As the 3 Su-50s were flying over the unaware ECA battle-group, Nikolai, Stechin and Alexeiev were trying to figure out how to deal as much damage as possible.
There were dozens of armoured vehicles and hundreds of well-equipped infantry below them.
Alexeiev: "We should target only the Leopards, but that will leave us vulnerable to Gepards."
Stechin: "Than how about we wait for Pogosyan to arrive and we fight them together and use the confusion to our advantage?"
Nikolai: "Good idea. But there's one problem. We still have that Manticore and Anvil together. How the hell is Pogosyan to defeat them if he can't fire on them?"
Stechin: "Yeah, you have a point."
Alexeiev: "That's not entirely true. Our targeting data is disabled by that Anvil, but what if we don't need the data at all. We already know where's that Manticore."
Nikolai: "That would work. If our Sokols had any unguided weapons."
Alexeiev: "Who said anything about Sokols? One word, boys. ", he paused for a moment and than continued: "Hinds!"
Stechin: "Damn. Never crossed my mind. Great idea."
Nikolai: "But how far is the closest Hind squadron from here?"
Alexeiev: "Let me take care of that."

"Colonel, can you switch to a secure com-channel?", Alexeiev asked Pogosyan.
"Channel secured. What's the problem, Major?", Pogosyan responded.
Alexeiev: "I've got the order to capture the Anvil, Sir. And I need all the help I can get. I know you have 3 Hinds sitting in your base. We need them here, ASAP."
Pogosyan, unaware of Alexeievs' GRU background was surprised to hear that the Major knew about such a top secret order, but he decided not to react suspiciously: "I see. Well, those Hinds are heavily damaged and unlikely to survive an operation as big as this one."
Alexeiev: "Yes, I'm fully aware of that, Sir, but we need to get that Anvil. And since we can't target it, those Hinds are the only chance we've got. That Helipad should be over by now. All you have to do is give the order and they'll be repaired at Suvorov2 and then be here in less than half an hour."
Pogosyan knew how important was that Anvil, but he had to play it dumb: "But that may leave 'Yuri Dolgorukiy' base without it's last card incase we lose the fight. I would be risking my last line of a serious defensive and offensive potential for this."
Now Alexeiev was unsure what to do. He was considering telling the Colonel some facts, but that could blow his cover. Before he was able to say anything, Pogosyan spoke: "But, if that order came from the top, I guess we'll have to comply it. I'll give the order. Secure channel out."
"Thank you, Sir! I owe you one! Alexeiev out.", the GRU Colonel sighed in relief.

Nikolai and Stechin were keeping the formation, watching the ECA group activity and waiting for Alexeievs' response.

Alexeiev was finally there: "Listen up! Those Hinds will be there in about 30 minutes."
Stechin: "Can we hold on for that long?"
Nikolai: "We better do, because those Tigers and Harriers are about to attack Pogosyan!"
Before Nikolai could finish, two huge rockets buzzed over Pogosyans' Sentinel, continuing further.
"Two Tigers are shot down. The third one's damaged and is about to crash!", one of Pogosyans' soldiers exclaimed.
Pogosyan: "Those S-300s are a blessing. But don't get overconfident, boys. There's still 5 of them more and 2 Harriers behind as well. I want those Tunguskas locked and loaded!"

"Wo-fuckin'-ho! You wanna fuck around with our VKO?! Come on! We're just getting started!", Stechin was excited.
Nikolai: "That was fucking awesome! I'll never stop being amazed by those damn Grumbles!"
Alexeiev: "Don't forget that those Berkuts are about to arrive in... "

"This is Kutuzov1 Squadron reporting! I understand you're in need of some assistance, Major.", Berkut commander interrupted Alexeiev.

Nikolai: "Wait! I know that voice!"
Stechin: "Me too! Damn! Agatov?! Is that you!?"
"Yes, Sir! As a matter of fact, I am.", Berkut commander confirmed his identity.
"It's bloody good to hear from you again, comrade!", Stechin continued.
Agatov: "I will gladly catch up with both you and Major Shoigu later, Sir. But now, we need to get those Harriers converging on Colonel Pogosyans' position."
Alexeiev: "Absolutely, Captain! Continue with your mission. I'm sure you'll get plenty of time later with both of them."
Agatov: "Yes, Sir. Agatov out."

They could see the traces of shells being spit from Berkuts targeting the 2 Harriers. The cumbersome European jets were struggling to avoid the 6 Berkuts cannon bursts, while deploying chaff countermeasures to brake missile locks. While this unequal dogfight between the multirole European and purpose-built air-superiority Russian jets was happening, the Pogosyans' Tunguskas were taking care of Tiger gunships.
The mission was running smoothly for Pogosyan so far.
After the Harriers were unable to lose the Berkut squadron, their pilots decided to cause as much damage they could. They turned to Pogosyans' land troops. One Harrier broke off the chase and managed to fire on the Kodiaks and BMPs loaded with infantry. The Kodiaks were heavily armoured and took the hit quite well, but the BMPs were struck hard. After the first BMP exploded, Berkuts finally shot down the Harrier which was, thanks to the pilots' last-ditch kamikaze effort, crashed very close to a group of BMPs, damaging them to an extent. The other Harrier wasn't that lucky and it exploded to bits in sky after being hit by two Berkut AA missiles. The rest of the Tigers were finished off by the remaining Berkuts and Tunguskas.

Pogosyan was upset because he lost that BMP, but he knew that the entire situation would've been worse if the three Majors didn't warn him and those Berkuts didn't show up.

Alexeiev: "Are everyone ok, Sir!? Do you have casualties?"
Pogosyan: "SOBs took one BMP out and I have a couple of wounded in the other one, but we're pretty much fine."

Nikolai: "Alexeiev, those Hinds are about to arrive."

Alexeiev: "Sir, is your group ready to move. Hinds are about to show up."
Pogosyan: "That was faster than I thought. Ok. Lets get that damn Manticore!"
Alexeiev: "Damn right, Sir! Nikolai, Stechin! Lets pick those Leopards one by one, until Colonel Pogosyans' troops get in range."
"Yes, Major. Lets do this!", Stechin exclaimed.

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 11 Jan 2016, 6:46

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 10 Jan 2016, 20:39
Post #42

Group Icon

Yay New year update! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 10 Jan 2016, 20:51
Post #43

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Finally got the inspiration. I've slowed down a bit with it, but as long as there's at least one person interested I'll continue this. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 10 Jan 2016, 20:56
Post #44

Group Icon

I like it dude, Keep it up smile.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 10 Jan 2016, 22:47
Post #45

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Thanks, my Comrade! smile.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 10 Jan 2016, 22:59
Post #46

Group Icon

Hinds OP, even in lore and when they're damaged I8.gif

Nice choice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 11 Jan 2016, 0:15
Post #47

Chat Nick
Group Icon

tongue.gif
Well, they're the only ones with unguided AGMs and powerful enough to blast a Manticore.
Note: They were damaged, but got repaired at the Suvorov2 Helipad.
So, even more OP. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 10 Feb 2016, 18:04
Post #48

Chat Nick
Group Icon

PART XV

Sokols were circling above the ECA battlegroup. Colonel Pogosyans' unit was heading towards the enemy. Soon, 3 Hind heavy gunships were spotted on Alexeievs' radar.

Alexeiev: "Alright, everyone, listen up! We're still not firing, until the Colonel engages the Euros directly. We'll take out those damn Leopards easily, but the Geppards are the pain in the ass. So we should be very careful. Plus, those Fels have MANPADSes. We'll engage the targets from the outside. We can't attack them when we're right above, they'll grind us in a sec. I repeat, DO NOT engage until Colonel gets here first!"

"We got it, Alexeiev.", Nikolai and Stechin confirmed almost simultaneously.

They started moving away until all 3 of them were at a safe distance from most of the Geppards. Manticore was in the centre with the Anvil behind it. Pogosyan ordered a small detachment to start a flanking maneuver in order to surprise the Europeans. This smaller group had the task to engage the European left flank just after the main force starts to engage the ECA battle group frontally. Nikolai, Stechin and Alexeiev were to start picking the Leopards one by one, while the Hinds were tasked to arrive last and destroy the Manticore, leaving only the Anvil.

While circling around, the three Majors were able to see what was going on.
In one moment, ECA group was starting to spread out, which resulted in them covering more ground. That made it more complicated to target and destroy their tanks and it could have compromised the small Russian flanking detachment moving on their left, although the Europeans were unaware they were being outflanked.

Alexeiev: "Comrade Colonel, I think we have a problem. They started spreading out. A dozen of Geppards are moving behind, while the Leopards are in a horseshoe formation."

Pogosyan: "Don't worry, Major. We got it covered. Thanks for the warning, anyway. Pogosyan out."

Alexeiev was still unsure. He was concerned that the entire operation would fail, while the real problem was the fact that Pogosyan had to commit a relatively large group to deter a smaller, but powerful enough, ECA group, while arguably more pressing concerns had to be addressed in almost the entire length of the Northwestern Front.

Despite the danger, the small Russian group, which was code-named "The Sickle" in the meantime, managed to slip by the ECA battle group and awaited further instructions.
Pogosyan was moving carefully with the main force, which was also named in the meantime. Predictably enough, it was code-named "The Hammer".

"All callsigns, get ready. Let 'The Hammer' hit 'The Anvil'!", Pogosyan gave the order.
A dozen of Kodiak heavy tanks were advancing frontally, with a large group of BMPs in the second line. The Sentinel was just behind the BMPs. Tunguskas were in the last line.

ECA group stopped moving. Leopards had a greater range, so they already engaged the advancing Kodiaks, but the advanced Russian armor made up for their lack of range. Some of Kodiaks stopped and fired Refleks ATGMs from a far.

This was a sign for the Sokols. Nikolai fired his missiles first. Stechin and Alexeiev soon followed. "The Sickle" group finally engaged the European left flank. Geppards were still busy fighting the Russian ground troops. Pogosyan than decided to send in the Hinds. All 3 of the monstrosities soon appeared on the horizon. Panic soon struck many of the Felin troopers, so they soon started moving closer to the Manticore. Sokols were still firing from above.

"Shit, our guys are getting torn apart down there!", Captain Andrews was upset.

"There's nothing we can do for them now. Let's just keep doing what we're supposed to do and get a hell out of here as soon as possible!", Captain McGregor responded grudgingly with a strong Scottish accent.

USMC Sniper, Captain Andrews and Royal Marines Sniper, Captain McGregor were tasked to make a routine sniper patrol along the front. They were positioned in a forested hill overlooking the plain where the battle between Russian and ECA armor was raging. The US Army was still not engaged in open land warfare with the battle-hardened Russian ground troops, but they were sending numerous SpecOp groups ever since America entered the war. Europeans were already used to loosing many troops to the Russians and they knew that many more sacrifices were to be made in order to have a chance to defeat the Russians. Americans on the other hand weren't used to fighting a military which was at worst on par with theirs. Decades of fighting various terrorist groups and invading smaller unsubordinate nations left the US troops quite unprepared for taking heavy casualties against the very powerful enemies with serious offensive capabilities. The Europeans learned this the hard way, and Americans were about to see it as well, although there wasn't really an easy way to learn it.

In the meantime, Nikolai, Stechin and Alexeiev were running out of ammunition, and the battle was going well for Russian troops. Soon, only a dozen of Felins and a platoon of Combat Pioneers surrounding the Manticore were all that was left from the ECA battle group. Three Hinds already started firing their rockets at the Manticore. It was hard to target the exceptionally large tank due to Anvil behind it. Colonel Pogosyan decided to move forward and draw Manticores' fire with his Sentinel.

"We can take more shots, but that doesn't mean you should screw around, Chernayev!", Pogosyan dispatched the message to the leading Hind pilot, Captain Chernayev.

"I'm doing my best, Sir! This SOB is a tough nut to crack!", Hind Captain responded.

Indeed, nanobot technology made it exceptionaly hard to kill what was already a heavily armed and armored vehicle. And the Anvil Bot made it all even worse.

"Move, move! Don't let it get a clear shot!", Pogosyan yelled to his Sentinels' driver who was struggling to maneuver the titan, while Pioneers' mortar shells falling around didn't help much, as well.

"The Manticores' threads are collapsing! Fire, before nanobots repair it!", Captain Chernayev yelled.

All three Hinds soon fired a full barrage which resulted in an unexpectedly massive explosion. The Manticore was finally destroyed. The remaining Felins were still firing at the massive Sentinel tank, while Combat Pioneers placed a number of anti-tank mines around the Anvil.

"They know what we're trying to do! Kill those pioneers before they activate the mines!", Pogosyan ordered.

Hinds started mowing down the remaining ECA infantry.
Soon, only a few Felins were all that was left.

"Everyone, cease fire! I repeat, cease fire immediately!", Pogosyan gave the order, connected to the loud speaker and turned his attention to the Felins: "This is Colonel Mikhail Pogosyan speaking. Your fight is over! Your commanders can be proud, because you showed exceptional courage today and you earned your enemies' respect. Now, I call you to employ reason and surrender. I give my word as an officer of the glorious Russian Army that if you lay down your arms and surrender, we will treat you honorably and in accordance with all the established protocols of the Geneva Convention!"

The Felins were still unsure, but soon they started throwing down their weapons.

Pogosyan ordered a few Conscripts to capture the prisoners, defuse the mines and secure the Anvil Bot.

While all this was happening, Captain Andrews and Captain McGregor were watching carefully. McGregor decided they can't let an Anvil fall into Russian hands. He readied his AW50 heavy anti-material sniper rifle.
He was about to shoot, when Andrews stopped him: "What a hell are you doing!? Our guys are still out there! They'll kill 'em all if we shoot!"
"Step aside, kid! Do you have a slightest clue how many of our guys are gonna die if we let Russians capture that Anvil!?", McGregor answered angrily.
"What you're gonna do about it than!? Kill 'em all with one .50 cal!?", Andrews tried to play it smart.
"Ha, you really are a kid! One shot is all it takes. Did you even saw that anti-tank mines around the Anvil!?", McGregor was being cynical.
Andrews: "But, but... what about those Felins!?"
McGregor: "Do you think I like doing this!? Fuck you! You don't know shit about what we've been through! Now stop this BS, take your rifle and help me with this!"
Andrews stopped for a second and soon realized that cheap moralizing wasn't going to help anything. He took his customized M40A5 sniper rifle and got prone right next to McGregor.

Alexeiev was very pleased how things went thus far. He was about to achieve what no other GRU asset ever got the chance. About five or six Conscripts were approaching the Felins and the Anvil. Suddenly, a huge explosion sent the Anvil in the air, killing the Felins and Conscripts.
Initial shock soon gave way to rage on Russian part.

"Whaaat!? What a fuck happened!", Pogosyan raged.
He wanted to know what happened: "Chernayev! Did you see who activated the mines!?"
"No, Sir! It just went boom!", Hind commander was equally astonished.

Nikolai: "What a hell happened!?"

Stechin: "Who activated the damn mines!?"

Alexeiev was furious: "Shit, shit, shit! Dammit all! That's it! I'm done!"

Pogosyan gave the order for everyone to get back to base. They were about to get ready for another mission at the frontline. The Sokols returned to the base, while Hinds provided air cover to the retreating Army units.

Nikolai: "Fuck! All this trouble for nothing!"

Stechin: "What happened out there?"

Alexeiev still kept quiet. Both Nikolai and Stechin soon realized it was better to do the same.

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 10 Feb 2016, 18:18

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
M.P
post 10 Feb 2016, 19:15
Post #49

Group Icon

Great job dude, This one was so good smile.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 10 Feb 2016, 22:41
Post #50

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Thanks, man! smile.gif
I would also like to thank everyone who participated in that tread about sniper rifles. That helped to clear some things about them. smile.gif

--------------------

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 16:06