Reply to this topicStart new topic
Feedback on 1.8, first impressions
Commander-GDI
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:12
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9007

first of all thx SWR for this awesome mod!

my first impressions:

- my favorite generals promotion is the BULLDOG TURRET now, its really fun to use and really usefull, because you can place it whereeve you want an appears insteantly, aslo in enemy base gun8.gif

- dogs are very well done and also very usefull in earlygame

- engineers fit perfectly

- everything looks awesome

what I don't like:

- LAG has increased with 1.8 significantly, even so my computer is not week sad.gif

- Morat Track doesn't shot by itself, very little damage, not useful like that imo

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ArsenalXA4
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:28
Post #2

The harbinger of bad decisions
Group Icon

Member No.: 9056

Took me a while to figure out the ECA's tech tree but I think I've got it down. More to follow.

--------------------

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was Shrapnel!"
-Anonymous

+Quote Post
MARS
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:36
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Commander-GDI @ 25 Dec 2012, 20:12) *
- Morat Track doesn't shot by itself, very little damage, not useful like that imo

They used to shoot automatically during testing, but we did away with that because it actually made them so good that they rendered the actual Mortar Pits redundant. Now they are more useful as an offensive siege unit rather than defensive support unit.
Grab a few of them and fire away at enemy structures (they still outrange any defences and other artillery units). The longer they fire at the same target, the faster they keep shooting, which gets pretty intense after a while, especially with Cluster Munitions.

+Quote Post
Ysin
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:45
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9546

I've found that my tanks, even with nano armour applied, die in droves. Maybe that needs correcting, or maybe I just suck.

--------------------
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible,
Make violent revolution inevitable.

One vision, one purpose.

+Quote Post
Panzer4life
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:48
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8935

I remeber when you guys revealed the Pandora that Frank Jager would get an ability to launch a nuclear cruise missile, yet I don't see it in game. Was it done away, or will it be coming in 1.82?
Also, the issue with lag also occured on my computer, which it shouldn't as I have always had my computer specs more than capable of dealing with it in the mod.

I do enjoy the ECA, but these 2 things came across my mind as needing answers.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:48
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

ALWAYS keep in mind that the ECA is meant to be the micro-heavy faction. Your vehicle forces should always be accompanied by an Engineer-Pandur. The ECA has a lot of options which make them very flexible, but the trick is to remember them all and recognising which one helps when.

As for Jaeger, his Pandora ability will be implemented later. We didn't want to go overbord with features yet because the ECA still needs some stuff that could be added along the way.

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 25 Dec 2012, 20:53
Post #7

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

Engies inside Pandurs are a MUST for your tank columns. Leopards have good armor but they don't have the nick of abilities like the Drones, Horde Bonus, Salvage Upgrade - they're kinda like Russian Kodiaks minus it's armor but they do have a lot of range. Remember to bring Wotans and Tigers!

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 25 Dec 2012, 21:00
Post #8

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

i could be grasping at straws, but engis and engi pandas should have a different deploy icon than the repair gen power, in fact, why dont they have the deploy icon anyway?

--------------------

+Quote Post
H3adSh00t
post 25 Dec 2012, 21:08
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 9224

Pandora PWNS! biggrin.gif
I like everything about ECA + the sandbag walls are awesome.
I want you guys to try 2 Fennek on the last fire mode vs buildings , biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 25 Dec 2012, 21:10
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 123

Nice release, here's some feedback (on old(1.72) and new(1.8) stuff):

- ECA buildings look really nice, the models are very detailed. IMHO the skins are too low-res compared to the model quality-wise though. (this also applies to some russian structures)
- ECA custom Unit voices are very good. I'm really surprised here, cause most mod's custom voices suck.
- Imho ECA has a bit too many different Defense structures at the moment.
- Visuals are great as always.
- GLA buildings look a bit too similar. It's really hard to distinguish them from one another at times.

Something that has bugged me since the first release, though:
- You should really increase the user interface textures' resolutions (Russia and ECA). With all the visual improvements, this is the only thing that looks worse than in vZH, imho. Nobody plays this game in 800x600. This also includes the cameos. IIRC you already use double sized unit portraits. I would also recommend this for all command button icons. It looks so much better. I know this is also the case for default ZH textures, but IMHO it isn't as visible there (they look less oversharpened).
- Also an interesting idea would be a widescreen interface. I think that there are a lot more people playing 16:9 than 4:3 already (maybe start a poll?), and this would also allow larger commandsets, which would make commandset-switch buttons obsolete.

+Quote Post
Zombielogic101
post 25 Dec 2012, 22:43
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9557

On e thing.... HOE THE FUCK DO I GET IT WORK WITH THE CnC ULTIMATE COLLECTION VERSION OF ZERO HOUR!? I really wanna try this mod out. x.x; tried installing it two times.

+Quote Post
Maxner12
post 25 Dec 2012, 22:45
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 9552

QUOTE (Zombielogic101 @ 25 Dec 2012, 22:43) *
On e thing.... HOE THE FUCK DO I GET IT WORK WITH THE CnC ULTIMATE COLLECTION VERSION OF ZERO HOUR!? I really wanna try this mod out. x.x; tried installing it two times.

It doesn't work with that sadly. It's EA's policy. Effectively wasted money as there is no way to get it working on Ultimate Collection Zero hour. But it works with The First Decade.

+Quote Post
Zombielogic101
post 25 Dec 2012, 22:52
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Maxner12 @ 25 Dec 2012, 16:45) *
It doesn't work with that sadly. It's EA's policy. Effectively wasted money as there is no way to get it working on Ultimate Collection Zero hour. But it works with The First Decade.

Well shit......I'll need to dig up that disk and see if it still works. but on that note there has to be a way to get the damn thing working. unless EA is that big a pack of retards.

+Quote Post
Maxner12
post 25 Dec 2012, 22:55
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zombielogic101 @ 25 Dec 2012, 22:52) *
Well shit......I'll need to dig up that disk and see if it still works. but on that note there has to be a way to get the damn thing working. unless EA is that big a pack of retards.

Well, if you manage to get it working, props will be given. If I'm right, noone from the Developer team could really get ANY mod working with the UC edition ZH.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vintorez_*
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:01
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Ysin @ 25 Dec 2012, 13:45) *
I've found that my tanks, even with nano armour applied, die in droves. Maybe that needs correcting, or maybe I just suck.

I noticed that too - they could barely hold their own even against GLA Scorpions.

Also, the Pandora doesn't always fire when you tell it to - if you tell it to attack a structure directly, it often does nothing - so I had to resort to using the 'bombard' command just to get it to fire.

+Quote Post
predator64
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:03
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9549

Alright,here's my feedback.
I posted some of this in the release thread but it fits here better.

Feedback on the vastly improved AI:
After playing the first match of 1.8 as Russia against ECA...I must say,the Medium AI sure has improve a lot and I think it behaves more like medium AI of SHW.I don't recall Medium AI build as much defense as I seen in Hard AI of ROTR.Is this because ECA AI focus a lot in defenses?In the changelog I only recalled increased size of attack force and faster base building,but usually AI stop building anything after superweapon.

Also,the user interface of ECA...Too much things stuck into it,when I first saw it I thought it was pretty weird compare to other factions but I get used just fine.

I agreed with Stalker,custom unit voices are very good,especially the excavator's line is just hilarious.Models looks very detailed and consistent for ECA buildings.
The new tracer visual is just...stunning.

About the faction design of ECA,what's the tank trap is supposed to do anyway?To block enemy or any slowdown effect nearby enemy?It reminds me of Sandbag wall from the VGO mod,but in my opinion obstacles to hinder enemy movement like wall buildings doesn't work good in Generals.I am okay with the defenses and with the Generals Power it becomes even more useful and flexible.ECA is very unique compare to other factions.Also I remember in the updates there are saying what happens when Solar Reactor is destroyed,now I finally get to see it.Last thing,Solaris Relay is very different from other superweapons,and I like it.It dishes out damage equally in the circle radius instantly,buildings just little outside the edge still receive damage anyway but not full damage.It is like Ion Cannon from CNC3.

Anyway that's all,since I haven't try out the full potential of ECA,just tinkering here and there.

Also,I have a...question that may seems dumb.What gameplay speed people normally playing on?I play against computer all the time but ROTR really improve its AI a lot,I normally play at 35 ~ 40 speed,I might have to lower it down seeing such improved AI,over that I surrender due to I am a noob in micromanaging..

+Quote Post
Maxner12
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:07
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Vintorez @ 25 Dec 2012, 23:01) *
I noticed that too - they could barely hold their own even against GLA Scorpions.

Also, the Pandora doesn't always fire when you tell it to - if you tell it to attack a structure directly, it often does nothing - so I had to resort to using the 'bombard' command just to get it to fire.

Seconded about the armor weakness. The low-tech scorpions easily punch them out. Also, is it just my damaged mind, or the howitzer bases of the ECA are kinda weak as well? During a skirmish, on the tournament island map, I had built at least 9 of them and bombarded the russian CC with them. Only took out the 1/4 of the structures health while most of the shells hit it.

This post has been edited by Maxner12: 25 Dec 2012, 23:08

+Quote Post
Erich Honecker
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:18
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 9366

Also where is the Solaris's ability to choose between two modes? I thought their super weapon could do that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CobraHumvee
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:29
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 507

Originally the howitser base was much more powerful but it had to be nerfed because it was doing way too much damage. Right now it is best for hitting enemy troops or for stopping an advance, and with the cluster munitions a few of them will rip tanks apart.

--------------------
Signatures are overrated :)

+Quote Post
Shock
post 25 Dec 2012, 23:57
Post #20

Forum Green
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (Maxner12 @ 25 Dec 2012, 23:07) *
Seconded about the armor weakness. The low-tech scorpions easily punch them out. Also, is it just my damaged mind, or the howitzer bases of the ECA are kinda weak as well? During a skirmish, on the tournament island map, I had built at least 9 of them and bombarded the russian CC with them. Only took out the 1/4 of the structures health while most of the shells hit it.

Thats because they are not supposed to effectively hit buildings. If they did, it would encourage players to camp up and spam them to kill the enemy base.

They are however quite good against enemy unit formations. Super heavy tanks may not notice much, but any artillery they carry with them can be quite easily killed. Their damage has been placed on the safe side of balance because this thing is quite experimental for the Generals gameplay.

QUOTE (Stalker @ 25 Dec 2012, 21:10) *
- Also an interesting idea would be a widescreen interface. I think that there are a lot more people playing 16:9 than 4:3 already (maybe start a poll?), and this would also allow larger commandsets, which would make commandset-switch buttons obsolete.

Download GenTools and you can get your Widescreen interface. Notice that this tool doesnt work with No-Cd cracked versions of generals.dat and generals.exe, so you will have to use a mini-image.

@Pandora: It won't attack simply because it can't, the only way to use it is to use the bombardment button.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 26 Dec 2012, 0:14
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (Stalker @ 25 Dec 2012, 22:10) *
<...>this is the only thing that looks worse than in vZH, imho. Nobody plays this game in 800x600.
<...>

Except for me biggrin.gif

No, seriously, I do it all the time when I play in window mode, and I play 90% of games like that.

QUOTE (Erich Honecker @ 26 Dec 2012, 0:18) *
Also where is the Solaris's ability to choose between two modes? I thought their super weapon could do that?

I honestly don't remeber any of DevTeam mentioning that. Afaik, it was pure speculation on players part.

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 26 Dec 2012, 0:16

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 26 Dec 2012, 0:27
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Stalker @ 25 Dec 2012, 22:10) *
- Imho ECA has a bit too many different Defense structures at the moment.

To many defenses ... TO MANY DEFENSES ...

ECA is suppose to be a defense heavy faction. The reason they have so many is because each one is specialized in 1 exact role and only that. So to be more precise they have a wall, a really cheap/easy to deploy one, an anti-infantry one, AT, AA, anti-artillery and the howizter position which is more or less a defense since it's more a replacement for their lack of actual bombers. So i really don't see many defenses when you start looking at their roles and the fact that they are only good at that.

+Quote Post
Celtic Warrior
post 26 Dec 2012, 0:34
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 9479

The AI is FUCKING INSANE. In a bad way. I miss the 'easy' setting. I really do.

--------------------
WE WILL NOT BOW. WE WILL NOT FALL. WE STAND AS ONE. WE STAND ALONE.

+Quote Post
Zombielogic101
post 26 Dec 2012, 0:46
Post #24

Group Icon

good news all of you that bought the ultimate collection! http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/sh...mate-Collection new launchers for all the games, carry on the fight!

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 26 Dec 2012, 0:49
Post #25

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Celtic Warrior @ 26 Dec 2012, 0:34) *
The AI is FUCKING INSANE. In a bad way. I miss the 'easy' setting. I really do.

"medium" is still easy as hell
hard seems the tolerable one, actually builds stuff (through to many defenses in general)
brutal is still "hey do you enjoy me making 20 units in what you get one?"

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27 May 2024 - 7:15