Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sentinel Slayer 1.86, Destroy the industrial complex in Austria
RedDeadSmeg
post 31 Dec 2016, 22:28
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13220

The Russians have built a massive base in western Austria. It contains numerous industrial sites and war factories capable of mass producing the fearsome but slow Sentinel tank as well as rapidly deploying swarms of Kodiak tank divisions. They aim to use this facility to overrun Italy and France with tank hordes within a matter of weeks, and due to its location, this will be possible.

Destroying this base will be difficult. There is only one land entrance which is guarded by four Tesla Coils and Grumbles defend the skies, so a standard assault would be suicide. We will need to try and bring down the forward base defence's power plants covertly, and our best shot is 'borrowing" the transports that run as part of the supply convoy to the base. Capturing the transport will allow us to sneak commandos into the base and knock out the defence's power, only then can we call in heavier firepower to demolish the base.

Good luck General, oh... and happy new year!

Objectives:

1. Prepare to ambush on the Russian convoy. The Transports MUST survive.

2. Bomb the defence's power plants.

3. Retreat to the south-west to call for reinforcements.

4. Hold off the Russians at the village until the reinforcements arrive.

5. Destroy all Russian structures.

Hints:

You have 60 seconds to prepare an ambush, and eliminating the soldiers on the cliffs will allow you to use the barricades. (Using Guard Area is of great use here)

Make sure your commandos are in the transports when they are approaching or the mission will be a lot harder.

Where you garrison your forces during objective 4 may be key to success or failure.

Although there is only one land route to the base, exploring the map might be a good idea.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 31 Dec 2016, 23:13
Post #2

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Sounds promising, I'll try it later.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 4 Jan 2017, 15:31
Post #3

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Ok, review:
- the map design is alright, nothing fancy, nothing horrible, but I suggest using textures a bit more so objects, especially the western village buildings, don't look so "placed down"
- there are issues with fake difficulty, in part related to bugs:
-- at the start, when you kill the VDV units to set up the ambush, your commandos may randomly lose their stealth; this seems to depend on where they stand when the timer reaches zero and should therefore be fixable
-- the Tank Trap Barricades are not actually usable even though they are marked as civilian, it would be good if they CAN be used for the ambush (grant extra range, thus help sniping off enemy infantry)
-- during the Power Plant part, the Commandos have to destroy a certain number of Power Plants, then escape; but this is made almost impossible since there are Conscripts with IR Goggles, which turn this part into pure luck since the commandos will inevitably be killed by the Tunguskas nearby if spotted; I suggest removing the Goggles from those particular Conscripts
-- for the escape, why do the Maulers not become available again? As it stands, the commandos have to leave ON FOOT, which due to the aforementioned IR Goggle-equipped Conscripts everywhere is almost impossible

I hope you think about this input, because I can see that you are trying to make an entertaining, difficult but not unfair, mission and I would love to play that.

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 4 Jan 2017, 19:03
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (SoraZ @ 4 Jan 2017, 14:31) *
Ok, review:
- the map design is alright, nothing fancy, nothing horrible, but I suggest using textures a bit more so objects, especially the western village buildings, don't look so "placed down"
- there are issues with fake difficulty, in part related to bugs:
-- at the start, when you kill the VDV units to set up the ambush, your commandos may randomly lose their stealth; this seems to depend on where they stand when the timer reaches zero and should therefore be fixable
-- the Tank Trap Barricades are not actually usable even though they are marked as civilian, it would be good if they CAN be used for the ambush (grant extra range, thus help sniping off enemy infantry)
-- during the Power Plant part, the Commandos have to destroy a certain number of Power Plants, then escape; but this is made almost impossible since there are Conscripts with IR Goggles, which turn this part into pure luck since the commandos will inevitably be killed by the Tunguskas nearby if spotted; I suggest removing the Goggles from those particular Conscripts
-- for the escape, why do the Maulers not become available again? As it stands, the commandos have to leave ON FOOT, which due to the aforementioned IR Goggle-equipped Conscripts everywhere is almost impossible

I hope you think about this input, because I can see that you are trying to make an entertaining, difficult but not unfair, mission and I would love to play that.

Hi SoraZ

I admit that I'm not the best when it comes to map design, I tend to get frustrated when using textures especially for rural areas, but I will try harder in the update.
I scripted the commandos to lose the stealth ability during the ambush because I felt it would be too easy to take out the convoy since it doesn't have any stealth detectors and commandos can stay clocked and fire (minus the rocket launcher), I will increase the timer to set up the ambush and use the barricades.
Speaking of which, the barricades are meant to change to your side after you take out all VDV units so you can use them, this may be a scripting issue which I will definitely check.
I agree about the conscript IR goggle problem, that will be changed.
The issue with controlling the Maulers after bombing the power plants is that if you are unlucky enough to encounter a Sentinel patrolling the base it will easily destroy them, or if that doesn't get them the active tesla coil by the supply warehouse will, I may play around and see how the commandos can escape with the Maulers.

What are your thoughts about the rest of the mission? I would like feed back on defending the village section as I'm not sure whether that part is too difficult as well.

Thanks for the feedback I feel it will greatly improve this mission.

+Quote Post
XCABAL
post 8 Jan 2017, 15:50
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8843

I think giving out two Manticores with two Dozers after objective four makes the rest of the mission too mundane. I would replace the two Manticores with three jags, 1 dozer and two geopards to atleast deal with the sentinel that appears. As compensation give access too protocol research.

--------------------
☻/ Glory to Arstotzka.
/▌
/\

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 23 Jan 2017, 21:26
Post #6

Group Icon

Ok, I've updated the mission after the suggestions, here are the changes to this new version:

Reinforcement team: 1 Dozer, 2 Gepards, 1 non-veteran Manticore tank.

Ambush Timer increased from 60 seconds to 75 seconds.

Conscripts only gain Infrared Goggles after you leave the Russian base.

You no longer have access to the deployment zone or Satellite Uplink.

The tank guard team now defends the bridge area and not the base itself.

A new Russian team has been included: The Black Guard.
They regularly use heavy tanks to attack you and provide a one-off reinforcement which you will be warned about.

Good luck, enjoy and thanks again for the feedback.

+Quote Post
five star genera...
post 3 Mar 2017, 19:24
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 10312

Here is how i saw this mission

I played version 2 of this mission on ROTRFR 1.86 and this is review of that version.
This review is written in good will and hope it will help developer in his future work.

Mission technicality
First that we se on missions are intros but there is non here thats a minus.
Tech tree is limited and nicely done.
I dont see whats the point of do all that trouble to get inside enemy base to only disable 2 structures
i think it would be better if we infiltrate base to steal blueprints layout of the base
so after we leave the base and rendezvous with reinforcment team map is reveald permanently over
Russian base.
Al attacks are nice and well planned.
So for mission technicality 8/10

The idea of the mission is interesting i like it.
10/10 for idea.

AI difficulty is ? Hm great but to me only if i use mirage tank without it not possible or Extremely hard
so i dont know it was really fun to use mirage but only because mirage is not in ROTR i will give 9/10.
Gameplay was intense it was literally inch by inch fight once inside enemy base.

Enemy base had crazy amount of defenses and structures to keep me not only rushing it but also
it took me more than an our to destroy everything in base epic 10/10.

Map classic winter not bad but nothing fancy so i rate 8/10.

Awesome mission but to me too hard but only because of those mirage tanks and so much fun i had
i will do it i will rate this mission 10/10.
This was one of those epic missions that you think about for months if not years.

When i rate missions i consider all missions made with ZH world biulder and missions like
The prototype and introducing the gang of four are to me the best missions ever made in ZH WB.
And no they are not made by me, so i just cant rate any mission that is below those 10/10.
Those missions are so special at least to me.
And your mission is right there somwhere, one of the best i ever played.

Also if you want need any help in the future with the missions i would be happy to help you.

This post has been edited by five star general: 3 Mar 2017, 19:25

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 15 May 2017, 21:09
Post #8

Group Icon

Ok, here it is, Sentinel Slayer for 1.87.

Just so you know, this mission (when I made the original) was a pain in the arse to make and is a pain in the arse to play.

Good luck. smile.gif

[attachment=2528:SentinelSlayer.zip]

+Quote Post
jl319
post 9 Oct 2017, 15:26
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 14916

This was fun. I came across a bug or two- nothing very noticeable except for the fact that the Maulers tend to eject your commandos just before the entrance to the base for some reason. It doesn't happen if you send them closest to the left side of the path though. Oh, and that's a whooole lot of Sentinel Tanks. I'd love to see a mission for the ECA using several teams of Venom Armor. Anyway, I loved this mission. Not too hard, not too easy, and some (nasty? I won't spoil for others) surprises along the way.

Overall, I preferred this to your Pandora Rising mission. Maybe because of the base building content and more relaxed pace. Keep it up, if you're still making your own missions laugh.gif

Thanks!

This post has been edited by jl319: 9 Oct 2017, 15:37

+Quote Post
jl319
post 9 Oct 2017, 15:31
Post #10

Group Icon

whoops, I meant I "preferred it to the *Pandora's Lock mission"

This post has been edited by jl319: 9 Oct 2017, 15:39

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 9 Oct 2017, 16:25
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (jl319 @ 9 Oct 2017, 15:26) *
This was fun. I came across a bug or two- nothing very noticeable except for the fact that the Maulers tend to eject your commandos just before the entrance to the base for some reason. It doesn't happen if you send them closest to the left side of the path though. Oh, and that's a whooole lot of Sentinel Tanks. I'd love to see a mission for the ECA using several teams of Venom Armor. Anyway, I loved this mission. Not too hard, not too easy, and some (nasty? I won't spoil for others) surprises along the way.

Overall, I preferred this to your Pandora Rising mission. Maybe because of the base building content and more relaxed pace. Keep it up, if you're still making your own missions laugh.gif

Thanks!

Never expected this mission to still be played biggrin.gif

The base building in this mission is certainly more relaxed than Pandora's Lock, I think that comes down to Russian being an offensive steamrolling faction so they find it hard to play too defensively. For what I consider to by my worst mission overall, those are some really nice comments. smile.gif

As for a Venom Armour map like this, you just gave me a nice idea for a covert backstabbing mission wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hailstone11
post 11 Oct 2017, 10:45
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 13139

What about that Venom Spec Ops infiltration in Scandinavia to destroy a bunch of Russian radar posts?

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 12 Oct 2017, 20:49
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Hailstone11 @ 11 Oct 2017, 10:45) *
What about that Venom Spec Ops infiltration in Scandinavia to destroy a bunch of Russian radar posts?

Which mission it that? Sounds quite interesting to play.

+Quote Post
Admiral FCS
post 13 Oct 2017, 4:35
Post #14

Anime Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (RedDeadSmeg @ 12 Oct 2017, 12:49) *
Which mission it that? Sounds quite interesting to play.

http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=5788

Probably that one.

+Quote Post
Hailstone11
post 13 Oct 2017, 7:10
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 13139

You nailed it

+Quote Post
UnseenMaDaFaKa
post 5 Jul 2018, 20:42
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 14512

Sounds Cool! I'm new so I don't know how to download maps. Mind helping me out?

+Quote Post
jl319
post 6 Jul 2018, 12:46
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (UnseenMaDaFaKa @ 6 Jul 2018, 3:42) *
Sounds Cool! I'm new so I don't know how to download maps. Mind helping me out?

This is not an updated thread, and I don't believe there is an updated version for this singleplayer mission map. The last version was 1.87, and I believe the link is no longer there.

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 6 Jul 2018, 17:14
Post #18

Group Icon

This link is to all my old missions, including Sentinel Slayer. You need 1.87 but bare in mind that I have only checked to see if the mission at least works in 1.87, and I made the file before Hunter released the latest update to 1.87.

Any issues, let me know on mod db, but bare in mind I am very busy with current missions and with things outside of ROTR so a fix might not come anytime soon.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds...-bonus-missions

+Quote Post
UnseenMaDaFaKa
post 10 Jul 2018, 15:24
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 14512

Thanks for replying. Is it normal that I can't view anyone's profile? It says I don't have permission.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 12:33