Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can't Survive against the Evil Dr.Thrax on Hard challenge, same as above
FabulousPug
post 1 Dec 2015, 15:01
Post #126

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11275

Actually I didn't.. I wanted to see what's RotR like so I deleted Shockwave cause it wouldn't work together, then I tried to make it work then I failed at that, now I just need to find some time to download and install it again. RotR isn'tas fun for me sadly.
Before I did all that I was having a Hard challenge match vs Leang as Kwai. That was almost as agonizing as Paper vs Thrax - just brutal but somehow I managed after a number of restarts xd.
Will definitely continue with Granger dude.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 5 Dec 2015, 22:20
Post #127

Group Icon

Member No.: 12192

QUOTE (FabulousPug @ 1 Dec 2015, 15:01) *
Actually I didn't.. I wanted to see what's RotR like so I deleted Shockwave cause it wouldn't work together, then I tried to make it work then I failed at that, now I just need to find some time to download and install it again. RotR isn'tas fun for me sadly.
Before I did all that I was having a Hard challenge match vs Leang as Kwai. That was almost as agonizing as Paper vs Thrax - just brutal but somehow I managed after a number of restarts xd.
Will definitely continue with Granger dude.

How did you beat Leung using Kwai? You spammed nukes and turned her base to goop or your made a huge number of tanks and troops and attacked normally? She has that deadly Gaia thing that is deadly to your base.

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 6 Dec 2015, 10:01
Post #128

Group Icon

I built 2 Nukes which were ready to use about a minute before her Gaia completed cooldown, so their sole purpose was just to keep gaia down. Artillery Barrage would be great too, but at the time I wasn't able to get enough GP to unlock it...
At the start it's not a good idea to build a barracks close to the E bridge cause that would lure some tanks to attack you right at the start, so I've built it closer to my CC and trained a few missile soldiers and then I went for the Oil D.
Problem with Kwai is it's difficult to defend against her Grinder artillery which would attack from the hill, while bombers are not really an option to deal with that cost-efficiently. Grinders can only be targeted uphil by tanks if they're right on the ledge - so when I saw one shooting at me, I took the unit which was targeted and moved it a little back so Grinders would come closer, and when close enough on the ledge, they're toast. Of course there were usual difficulties coming from air, but only constant rebuilding of Gattling tanks could save me (clumping gattlings together is bad, cause her aircraft mostly deals damage in an area, and the Phoenix bombers perticulary are able to destroy a whole group in one attack - at first they will target the Oil Derrick and anything close to it).

I'm not that great at fast expansions so I went with turtling until hackers kicked in, then without money problems I built a big group of tanks to push out, while dozers followed it to capture the supplies on the way and build war factories on random places to support the pushing force. The push continued into her base and with 3 W.Factories right at the entrance replenishing the tanks, it was only a matter of minutes before Leang was stomped into snowy dirt. biggrin.gif

Edit
Granger is well suited in challenges cause of nice options to defend the base (like stealthed choppers, acolyte drones, medic chopper etc). Good for turtling and bombing but his ground forces are really bad when assaulting enemy bases. Hurricane artillery, while great vs units, totally sucks vs buildings so the only good option is to use Humvees with rocket troopers, imo. His planes are very nice but their supperiority only is felt when they're upgraded (which costs a ton of money and quite some time).
I found Granger best agains Juhziz because a group of choppers can repell any attack while the HALO drop GP can be used as a cheap way of getting rid of his scud storm, then a group of rocket-vees makes their way to his base and destroys it (the palace is destroyed by air stuff before that). Tao is also a suprisingly easy challenge where constant use of choppers for defense and planes for offense can deny him of his Nukes before even one can fire, and even Tao's artilery strike can't destroy your airfield (but planes should be sent to circle in the air when artillery sound is heard). I can imagine Granger in multiplayer to be either too strong, or too weak because aircraft needs many upgrades

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 6 Dec 2015, 15:15

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 9 Dec 2015, 18:07
Post #129

Group Icon

Wow you are really becoming a Sun Tsu at this game. You can beatdown any general you want to now. Your power has peaked. Beating Leung is quite difficult (except for Alexander who can whoop anyone) but you figured out a careful strategy. I think for the cliff Grinders, you could also make an airfield and destroy the AA on the cliff and then the Grinders would be destroyed easily. I don't know if Kwaii has good enough air force to beat that strong AA up there. And did you takeover the cliff area using chopper transports to move troops up there and cross the bridge? That bridge has a Gaia trap on it which is quite deadly.

Granger doesn't have any tanks?? Sounds like you have mastered him though.

You should try multiplayer too. You will probably own everyone.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 9 Dec 2015, 18:08

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 10 Dec 2015, 2:28
Post #130

Group Icon

A sure way to win any challenge is by getting to a point where you have enough income to save yourself from anything the AI can throw at you. Getting there is the hardest part of a challenge.
Personaly I turtle up and get a superweapon or two to counter the enemy's as I always fail at fast expansion tactics seen many times on videos. biggrin.gif
Kwai can't do any sort of "surgical strikes" behind enemy lines, like vs Leang so the nukes were a must for me. Only then did I build my hackers. I'm not sure if planes would be a good thing to clear the hill area so early, because of the space airfield takes and the bombers being costly and would get massacred by the AA.. And they need to fly close to the targets to drop bombs ensuring their horrible deaths.. Would be very cost-ineffective how I imagine it, while money could be spent on some more gattlings and hackers/nukes.
I honestly can't imagine a victory in case Leang would use her other artillery ohmy.gif

While I can defeat the AI, the online gamers would probably destroy me along with my monito, lol. What you say about me is nice but highly unlikely to be the case biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 11 Dec 2015, 9:53
Post #131

Group Icon

QUOTE (FabulousPug @ 10 Dec 2015, 2:28) *
A sure way to win any challenge is by getting to a point where you have enough income to save yourself from anything the AI can throw at you. Getting there is the hardest part of a challenge.
Personaly I turtle up and get a superweapon or two to counter the enemy's as I always fail at fast expansion tactics seen many times on videos. biggrin.gif
Kwai can't do any sort of "surgical strikes" behind enemy lines, like vs Leang so the nukes were a must for me. Only then did I build my hackers. I'm not sure if planes would be a good thing to clear the hill area so early, because of the space airfield takes and the bombers being costly and would get massacred by the AA.. And they need to fly close to the targets to drop bombs ensuring their horrible deaths.. Would be very cost-ineffective how I imagine it, while money could be spent on some more gattlings and hackers/nukes.
I honestly can't imagine a victory in case Leang would use her other artillery ohmy.gif

While I can defeat the AI, the online gamers would probably destroy me along with my monito, lol. What you say about me is nice but highly unlikely to be the case biggrin.gif

Ya the Gaia is priority. I only beat Leung using Alexander and with her I used Auroras to clean off the cliff top and then I chinooked troops up there to take over the area. But Alexander has deadly AA protection plus some other stuff. I think I had 5 or 6 drop zones as Alex so I could afford to replace those expensive Lamborghinis.... I mean Auroras.

I tried playing large Ai battles before I tried the Challenge and I got smashed. I tried 2 teams like 3 on 3 or 4 on 2 so I had Ai friends with me. Would be nice to have a real human team mate or opponent for more unexpected gameplay.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
CWAL
post 30 Jan 2016, 19:28
Post #132

Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 12517

It is funny for me to see this topic now because I tried doing the challenge for the Demo General today and Dr. Thrax kicked my ass from left to right all five times that I have attempted it.

I beat the challenge with both Tank and Nuke Generals in vanilla ZH and this was my first attempt at doing it with this mod.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 30 Jan 2016, 19:45
Post #133

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Is this thread still going?

Dear god guys, just send me the replays of the challenges and get me on skype, I'll show you how to beat each and ever single one on hard mode...

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 9 Apr 2016, 18:46
Post #134

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 30 Jan 2016, 19:45) *
Is this thread still going?

Dear god guys, just send me the replays of the challenges and get me on skype, I'll show you how to beat each and ever single one on hard mode...

I already did win all my campaigns on hard difficulty after I figured it all out. I just haven't tried a couple of generals. I'm gonna fire up the challenge (always on hard) as that evil terrorist that salvages parts. I forget his name. Maybe the battles to come be violent and produce a high bodycount. The evil Dr. Thrax was always the hardest to beat. I might also try a random battle with 2 full teams and scrap it out.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 9 Apr 2016, 23:25
Post #135

Group Icon

Thrax is easy, you just need to balence out your arty with your air or just crush him with sheer armour....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 10 Apr 2016, 3:55
Post #136

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

how is this thread still going.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 10 Apr 2016, 23:26
Post #137

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 9 Apr 2016, 23:25) *
Thrax is easy, you just need to balence out your arty with your air or just crush him with sheer armour....

Tigress was the first fight which I won after a long violent struggle, but evil Thrax beat me twice without even a hint of hope. Salvage has the weakest airplane Desert Flies which die like flies when Thrax's tanks shoot at them. On the ground it was briefly okay until.... as per usual.... his missile trucks and buggies blew up my tanks from long range. I tried to attack his missile trucks but my tanks were destroyed before getting a shot off. And infantry can't be used at all in this battle. I don't think Salvage has any chance against Thrax.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 10 Apr 2016, 23:27

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 11 Apr 2016, 0:37
Post #138

Group Icon

^Are we littarly playing the same mod or game?

Deseart flies are arguebly one of the top 10 best helis in the game. (I count it as a heli as it doesnt need an airfield to reload)
Also your katushyas have a broken prefire delay...Hell you can brute force with baslix too or waypoint micro with lantrun spam

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 11 Apr 2016, 4:33
Post #139

Group Icon

ok

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 14 Apr 2016, 2:01

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 11 Apr 2016, 5:01
Post #140

Group Icon

Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 11 Apr 2016, 0:37) *
^Are we littarly playing the same mod or game?

Deseart flies are arguebly one of the top 10 best helis in the game. (I count it as a heli as it doesnt need an airfield to reload)
Also your katushyas have a broken prefire delay...Hell you can brute force with baslix too or waypoint micro with lantrun spam

^^ this

im kinda lost on this thread there's been several viable strats explained in this topic on how to deal with thrax with any general.
Heck you can cheat the dam ai and not trigger his attacks for ages if you dont build your base forward towards the bridge allowing you time to build your forces/base up.
or not triggering his flank attacks either by going past the oil derick.

theres even a cheep map exploit with burton if your a usa general to completely screw thrax.

theres countless videos and play threws on the internet on doing this.

tbh if your having trouble surviving against thrax with what ever general your playing.

The answer is simple, Try, Try again dont be afraid to save your game every few mins to try different things.

But then again theres this.

A - your either not bothering to try different strats
B - your ignoring advice you have been given in regards to strats
C - your the usual kind of i cant do this in one or two goes im gonna go whine about it on a forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 11 Apr 2016, 16:31
Post #141

Group Icon

Skittles, don't be angry. The thread is a discussion about beating Thrax with different generals. I've already beaten him with 4 or 5 generals on hard level. I've only tried Salvage twice so far. And I don't play games doing silly exploits like save & load and avoiding triggering attacks.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 11 Apr 2016, 16:33

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 11 Apr 2016, 18:27
Post #142

Group Icon

QUOTE (RodentDung @ 11 Apr 2016, 16:31) *
Skittles, don't be angry. The thread is a discussion about beating Thrax with different generals. I've already beaten him with 4 or 5 generals on hard level. I've only tried Salvage twice so far. And I don't play games doing silly exploits like save & load and avoiding triggering attacks.

o thats not me angry tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 25 Apr 2016, 16:28
Post #143

Group Icon

Probably, for you veterans this thread looks silly, but we like to discuss the ways how we play. Obviously useless to you, but newcomers could benefit from it - unless there is already a guide or something on the topic available, which I never saw anywhere. I rarely see similar threads, so yeah why not just pile our gameplay experiences here? You may just ignore us anyway, it's just one thread.. :/ If possible, the thread could be renamed into something more suitable like "Hard mode GC strategies discussion" or something.
I haven't been playing Shockwave for a while, but since the update is here, I'll probably start again on those challenges biggrin.gif ...Topol missile invulnerable...demo challenge went from hard to crazy lol. Eager to try it out, have fun everyone tongue.gif

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 25 Apr 2016, 16:28

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 1 May 2016, 18:22
Post #144

Group Icon

QUOTE (FabulousPug @ 25 Apr 2016, 16:28) *
Probably, for you veterans this thread looks silly, but we like to discuss the ways how we play. Obviously useless to you, but newcomers could benefit from it - unless there is already a guide or something on the topic available, which I never saw anywhere. I rarely see similar threads, so yeah why not just pile our gameplay experiences here? You may just ignore us anyway, it's just one thread.. :/ If possible, the thread could be renamed into something more suitable like "Hard mode GC strategies discussion" or something.
I haven't been playing Shockwave for a while, but since the update is here, I'll probably start again on those challenges biggrin.gif ...Topol missile invulnerable...demo challenge went from hard to crazy lol. Eager to try it out, have fun everyone tongue.gif

OMG the deadly Pug has returned!! Very good!
Please post about your demo experience.

There is a shockwave update? Where can I get? I hope thrax doesn't get stronger. I feel like the Kurds trying to fight off ISIS and the Turks at the same time.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 1 May 2016, 18:28
Post #145

Group Icon

Okay I installed the update. I will try playing as the demo terrorists too. Weird playing as an ISIS cabal but other teams are evil in their own way too so it all balances out for punishment and deservability.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 2 May 2016, 19:04
Post #146

Group Icon

Hi, yeah I've lost my password, then recovered it, then lost again and recovered it again lol...
Haven't had much time to play anything, but I plan to test all the new stuff as soon as I'm done with another game.
Hopefully the challenge mode is still enabled, I did read the changelog but don't remember much, except the changes like Enforcer tank, removal of the stupid AT gun and rebalanced Quads smile.gif
I might even try some online games if I'm able to, competition in RTS games isn't something I like very much (probably cause I'm a pure NoOb haha), although it does make the game playable for a longer time and it's time to stop stomping AIs all the time biggrin.gif see you around!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 13:16