Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can't Survive against the Evil Dr.Thrax on Hard challenge, same as above
RodentDung
post 27 Oct 2015, 2:08
Post #51

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12192

That garrisoned building to the east must have been what shot down my burton chopper. Maybe you can bomb that after you finish off the SAM to the east? You must be using the more expensive bombers again. When I used the weaker bombers, I needed all 4 bombers to do 2 sorties on a SAM to destroy it. The cost + time to make 4 bombers crippled my progress so probably you have a better idea using 2 of the more luxurious bombers. Maybe you should put up more base defenses in case the Burton adventure fails.

Thrax is tough but I have beaten him on hard recently using the Nuke General, Tank general and Alexander. Using Alexander I was just able to destroy his palace on time with her powerful A10s plus Tungsten satellite strike to give me the breathing space to win. With the Chinese generals, they have the minefields you can get with 2 GP and those effectively block off the passageways to your base which gives you a really good chance to win plus their planes and bombers can get rid of many enemy vehicles and buildings.

Anyways, we must win using Ironside. He lost in Vietnam so he doesn't want to lose again against an unworthy mail order terrorist. Thrax is actually quite weak once his vehicle spam is somehow thwarted. That's his only trick along with the Scud. His territory is weakly defended and you can see that once you launch a large assault with troops & tanks to finish him.

FabulousPug don't give up! I know your incredible pain cause I am suffering too. Ironside will win. Hoorah!

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 27 Oct 2015, 16:38
Post #52

Group Icon

Member No.: 11275

I think it should be possible without burton, using GPs to destroy the palace asap to give some room for building stuff like supply drops.
I also wondered if using GP on the eastern arms dealer and placing a stealth drone tank would be a good idea. If the eastern front is out of the equation, we could build buildings towards eastern bridge so he would not only have just 2 arms dealers pumping vehicles, but it would also be on just 1 front making it less micro intensive to defend. The next thing would probably be destroying his palace with GPs for some extra time to build more supply drops and superweapons.

I was thinking - it could be a good idea to rush an airfield with some bombers to kill off random enemy buildings, along with the defenses killing units it could be a fast way to get more GP to bomb critical buildings.

A question - I was just thinking.. I never noticed enemy radar trucks coming at me, so maybe stealth tank drones could be positioned to kill off artillery when they come near the end of the northern bridge.
Most likely just another thing that would fail..

For the next play time I'll try the Burton strategy and the one about destroying not palace but the eastern arms dealer.

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 27 Oct 2015, 18:16
Post #53

Group Icon

You are thinking of many tactics which is good.

Bombing his buildings may be risky because he has AA everywhere as SAMs, Python tanks and infantry in buildings with RPGs. Reducing his arms dealers will help but he rebuilds them immediately. When I played as Alexander, she has a proper radar to see the world so I could see him rebuilding his arms dealers the second after they were destroyed. Hitting the palace is different. He only rebuilt the palace maybe 3 times and it is a slow process compared to the prefabricated arms dealers. As Ironside the world is all black so I can't see what buildings are being made by Thrax.

I tried again with the new advice. I took over the western oil derrick for the first time. I always thought it was a waste because he just destroys it right away. Then I built my turret line with 5 patriots behind them. Next came disaster. Thrax attacked both from the front and from the west. All I had blocking the west were 2 radar turrets with 2 infantry in them. He overran my base using only Pythons and toxin trucks. It was the fastest I've ever lost. I think it is a cardinal error to go for the western derrick which invites Thrax to hit you from the undefended west side and the derrick was destroyed before I had even finished reprogramming it to my side.

I"ve never liked the Phalanxs at all because they cannot shoot at ground targets which is very different from real Phalanxs which can utterly shred anything on the ground or air except for tanks.

For my next attempt, I will get the A10s and grenades and smoke his palace repeatedly. I think this strategy will also require the spy radar which costs another GP because it is the only radar Ironside has and I need to know when the palace is rebuilt. If he gets slow about rebuilding it, I can put in a strike on his Scud. I'll also try those luxurious bombers for hitting his SAMS and tunnels. I wish Westmoreland had mines because those are the most guaranteed thing that defeats Thrax. And most probably I won't use Burton cause of the cost and I don't have the time for micromanaging one unit when my base is a constant hell of toxin, explosions and buildings collapsing again & again.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 27 Oct 2015, 18:22

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 27 Oct 2015, 18:46
Post #54

Group Icon

About the western oil derrick - he does attack and destroy it but all he ever sent at me from west were only those units that destroyed it. A toxin tractor and a python at most..
After that I just baited them with a dozer to my anti tank defense.
Not sure why he keeps attacking you there, perhaps you have something else too close to the derrick, or in line of sight of his bunker thing? Not sure if the latter could trigger it at all but who knows...

About the eastern arms dealer - I was thinking to place a stealth tank on guard mode near it so it would get killed off at 0%, my only concern is if he still sends units there and if not, can the drone tank even be positioned well enough to do the job without RPGs shooting it or even lure more enemies there.

I still have no idea if it is possible to lessen or drain enemy funds in challenge mode... my guess is the enemy simply starts with max money possible.

Oh and by bombing buildings I meant defenses like stinger sites and tunnels while avoiding pythons.

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 27 Oct 2015, 18:55

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 27 Oct 2015, 19:27
Post #55

Group Icon

I've figured out the western pass trigger, Basically any military units you have there even 1 soldier will trigger attacks from that direction.

I played again doing the anti-palace strategy. I spread out my buildings to avoid the impact of the Scud but it critically doomed to me to lose. I did destroy his palace with the A10s and grenades, but my base was overrun as per usual. Problem is caused by building too far west which is where I put my airbase and strategy center. It triggered his western attacks. My turret line was destroyed earlier so I tried to do infantry with the useless chem suits and they were killed instantaneously before getting anywhere near the enemy. The missile trucks can wipe out groups of soldiers with a single missile and they never miss. The only thing that can stand up to the enemy for a few seconds are the turrets but the bomb trucks take those out very easily. It's like a rock scissors paper of inevitable doom. I had made laser turrets to stop Kell but they were destroyed very early so Kell was sniping my dozers so I was paralyzed.

I tried the more luxurious bombers and they did slightly better I think maybe or not but my airfield was destroyed because it was too far away from my command center. Seems every solution creates a worse problem with thrax. I have no idea how to beat thrax without mines.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 28 Oct 2015, 8:53
Post #56

Group Icon

I tried a couple more times. I destroy his palace about the same time his missile trucks wipe out my turrets and all hell like Pythons and toxin trucks and bomb trucks are wiping out my base. I can't find any answer to stopping the vehicle spam from wiping out my base.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Rohan
post 28 Oct 2015, 9:29
Post #57

The Sun Hero
Group Icon

Member No.: 10041

no need for a radar actually while the $1000 could be used elsewhere

That's actually a good choice. If you play enough times, you wouldn't really need it. Your Defense perimeter would be small initially.

Did you try Energy Shield Mammoths (Strategy Center Upgrades, Makes the Mammoth deflect missiles) and Hold The Line Strategy (Increases Unit Armour) ?

About the eastern arms dealer - I was thinking to place a stealth tank on guard mode near it so it would get killed off at 0%

If you capture it you might get Toxin Units, I wonder if they would help ?

I used Howitzers but they keep getting destroyed by the missiles from the trucks everytime because the missile trucks have longer range, more damage and shoot at howitzers immediately.

Use Spy Drone (It increases Range) + Use "Search and Destroy" to further increase range of Howitzers.

A question - I was just thinking.. I never noticed enemy radar trucks coming at me, so maybe stealth tank drones could be positioned to kill off artillery when they come near the end of the northern bridge.

It won't work because the Predator Drones attack whatever comes in their attack range and lose their stealth. They will be destroyed by Pythons before the Scourges even come in.

This post has been edited by Sam: 28 Oct 2015, 10:00

--------------------

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 28 Oct 2015, 15:53
Post #58

Group Icon

After many failed attempts I'm on the verge of giving up on Ironside's challenges for good. When I try strategy X and it fails, then I try a strategy Y which also fails cause I didn't do what I did in X which I can't do because of insufficient money to counter everything...
Capturing the eastern arms dealer is sadly not only useless but impossible to keep alive after that too - garrisons will take it out and if not, enemy units will surely redirect their path to go there. Thrax vehicles are pretty useless without a palace anyway.

The problem is also the palace units attack too soon to pull off some crazy tactics as we need planes to thwart artillery, which along with low money, makes it impossible to both fund sone kind of sabotage and keep up and micro defenses. 1 or 2 demo trucks hitting defenses or just 1 battle bus not taken care with planes or focus fire, can and will break the defensive perimeter.

I honestly have no idea what to do, my best attempt yet was when I had 2 cluster missiles which I needed to use defensively plus 3 supply drop zones for funds along with one oil derrick and a still functioning defense + 4 planes. Then came a few battle busses and trolled away my defenses. What followed is obvious.
There is absolutely no plan I can think of that would work with such minimal funds available and such hard pressure on the base...
If Ironside isn't the weakest thing in generals ever then I don't know what is.

Oh and the mammoths with shield deflect missiles similar to LPD of laser paladin, but due to their size can't be clumped enough to work together to deflect everything. They And a.battle bus or Jarmen can just screw you over - many tanks>llow or none base defenses>defeat

+Quote Post
Shockfan42
post 28 Oct 2015, 16:08
Post #59

Group Icon

Member No.: 8836

Wait or try with Stealth... is the more weak vs. Trax. The key is use Mammoths for defense...Four or five can destroy the waves, plus S&D for the range in the Howitzers that stop the Battle busses and artillery. Cut the airforce and build another Supply drop for more money. Destroy the Palace...Next, counterstrike with the Mammoths and Howitzers...Profit.

--------------------
EMPEROR OF SQUIRRELKIND

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 28 Oct 2015, 16:19
Post #60

Group Icon

Just to add some stuff I failed with. Phalanxes actually helped vs scourges but the battle busses rolled over my ground defenses, without phalanxes I did manage to build a stronger ground defense but the scourges killed it anyway, 2 missiles at a time. Can't. kill scourges before they come close because of Pythons and can't deal with the fast enough so they wouldn't get a shot off.

Destroying the toxin bunker north across the bridge at an appropriate time is helpful but only prolongs the inevitable.

Units without def. buildings can't hold the line, but the only way to rebuild stationary defenses is to defend dozers with units or else they are dead in a second, samo for the 0% buildings getting destroyed instantly cause of toxin goo everywhere.

Howitzers are expensive, fragile, slow, have almost zero AoE and a weak attack - what more do we want? Ah yes, after they destroy a scourge, another one will focus the and kill the whole group in ju 1 shot, and they need 3 shots to kill a scourge.

Bombardment strategy center is bugged and doesn't fire at all so there's goes another tactic..

I'm not sure how Ironside would do online but I'm pretty sure he sucks generally, for a general focusing on armor, he has nothing but slow, fragile and overpriced vehicles, weak fighter plane + average bomber.

Sorry for double post, I'm on my phone which doesn't handle editing of text walls well.

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 28 Oct 2015, 16:21
Post #61

Group Icon

Well, all my mammoth-howitzer spams failed terribly but I will give it a try perhaps I missed something...

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 28 Oct 2015, 17:22
Post #62

Group Icon

Yeah you can really feel the impotency of Ironside once you beatdown Thrax (on Hard difficulty of course) using any of the Chinese generals or Alexander.

Ironside needs the howitzer upgraded so it can shoot farther than other units and do about 4 times the damage it does now. Like you said, Ironside has no long-range weapons because his airforce is so weak that the Python tanks shoot them down instantly. I've seen bombers take off and immediately crash and burn because of a Python approaching. Python tanks are the strongest anti-air unit in the game which is odd for a tank.

Shockfan42 maybe has a slightly new approach by going all-out for war factory units on the ground and get rid of the the palace I presume by using the off-board GP assets. Maybe give that try once or twice.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 28 Oct 2015, 17:25

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 28 Oct 2015, 17:57
Post #63

Group Icon

I Just tried going with a War Factory and all-out for Mammoths and no airfield or silly Burton using up money.
I lost 3 Mammoths to kill one buggy. I can't pay $1600 x 3 for each enemy buggy. Basically those 3 mammoths used up all my money for awhile so once they died I just quit out cause my turrets were being destroyed by Scourges as per usual.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 28 Oct 2015, 20:31
Post #64

Group Icon

This endeavour of ours was, I'm afraid, a complete waste of time. The only thing we learned was that Paperside is doomed.
boom8.gif

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 28 Oct 2015, 22:56
Post #65

Group Icon

Yeah pretty much. Do you think the Glassware general (Kwai the tank dude) is stronger than Paperside?

Oddly enough I was able to beat Thrax easiest using Glassware because I built almost no glassware (tanks) and just used his good off-board stuff and glass airforce.

FabulousPUg have you ever played this game online? Is it easy to get set up?

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 29 Oct 2015, 0:37
Post #66

Group Icon

Kwai certanly is better in almost everything IMO, but the thing that gives the other one a huge advantage are Howitzers. But even with them, Kwai could catch them with various units like bombers.. I'm sure Kwai is better, with probably a much better early game and the same lategame? Surely there are experienced players who know it better than me, as I've actually never played online except like 10 years ago when I got a friend on another forum and we connected using hamatchi.
No idea how to set it up, i'm afraid. Probably hamatchi or gameranger or something else like it is needed, which is easy to just download, install, make an account and just join games; but I never tried Generals, can't tell if something else is needed, like what you see in the game's network menu...

Actually, I came here right now to bring THE breaking news, which will be posted bellow, I just need to upload some screenshots and write descriptions biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 29 Oct 2015, 0:38

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 29 Oct 2015, 1:48
Post #67

Group Icon

Oh happy day, Dr. Thrax pooped himself before me!

Generally, I held out with anti-ground base defenses - 1 anti infantry turret north and 1 east + 2 anti vehicle turrets east and 3(+more later) north. Using 2 dozers until about a minute before Thrax said something like "we come at you now bahaha" which usually indicates he's about to build palace units and spam everything he's got. At this point I built a 3rd dozer and started building Phalanxes north to deal with Scourge missiles and the toxic plane power he sends from time to time.
I teched as fast as money allowed while building some defenses, and built a supply drop before palace units pressured me. By the time I had almost collected all the supplies in the base, I had 2-3 supply drops (can't remember exactly).

What I did differently from the past attempts was not trying to capture the NW oil derrick or rushing to destroy the arms dealer to the east. I did however send Burton there to deal with it later, but by then I had for some unexplained reason destroyed the garrisoned structures so infantry was all around and immediately attacked him when he revealed himself. The Grenadiers were also in the garrison, so I'm not even sure if Burton can even plant a demo charge there without being in their range (probably can).
I have built an airfield to tech fast, saving another $1000 for not going for a war factory instead and for making planes. As I had a Spy Drone on both entrances (Thrax won't send radars at all so they were safe) I could see at all times what form of goo he sends at me.
So when I saw scourges, busses (not frequently as other palace units) and buggies moving, I already had one and immediately started making more $1800 bombers to kill off Stinger Sites north and East so the planes would kill those goo launchers. The priority were Battle Busses, then Buggies, then Scourges, because Scourges in low numbers couldn't penetrate the Phalanx defences.

My General Power selection was: Spy Drone -> rocket shooting plane -> lv. 1+2 A10 strike -> lv.3 A10 -> Howitzers -> Fuel Air Bomb

The rocket-shooting plane + Lv.2 A10 strike is enough to destroy the palace, but if it is to work, there must be no pythons halfways to the base as they would help bring one down and the palace would survive. While palace was still there I absolutely needed to scan the map and check for palace units almost all the time like a paranoid freak, so they could be destroyed using planes. Btw, most Buggies were stupid enough to run right into my defences' range.
I also had built a detection defense to counter that pesky Jarmen, after I saw the start of palace-spam.

This way I was holding back mostly the basic vehicles while building a War Factory to get some Howitzers just in case he rebuilds the Palace too fast, followed by building more Supply Drop Zones and finally a Cluster superweapon.

The game was pretty much won then, bombing the palace and SCUD using general's powers (Lv.3 A10 strike + rocket plane for the SCUD) and the Cluster Missile while defending attackers. Howitzers were force-firing on the ground just to be near 100% safe he can't overrun the base (paranoia got me there).

Burton is most likely a total waste of money, spent a total of $5000 on trying to destroy the E arms dealer with him and still failed... I also didn't build the Radar Dome until I had a decent income. You will notice my base is quite clumped at one spot, I was lucky the SCUD never got to fire. Between the Palace and SCUD, I would destroy the SCUD first because it would surely send me to oblivion while I was able to defend against Palace stuff for some time.
At one point I also destroyed the toxic bunker north, so the weak vehicles would get contaminated which probably did help me develop my base further.

The hardest part is to defend until you get enough bombing powers to start destroying his Palace and Scud, while still having some planes to defend against palace units and a few Supply Drop Zones - which is so hard to reach at the limited time.
Might I say this was the hardest thing ever I had to accomplish in this game so far.
beer1.gif

My base to the east

Other part of the base

Defenses north

I'm not sure how destructive the mine-drop power of Ironside is so I took no chances and went with A10 instead. Could it be that mines can do even more havoc?

Probably you've noticed, I know no differences between "defense" and "defence" as english isn't my native language. I hope you'll get the meaning anyway smile.gif
8Ip.png

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 29 Oct 2015, 1:50

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 29 Oct 2015, 4:58
Post #68

Group Icon

Golly you became the God of Generals. You did the impossible! Dude!
I'm gonna change my halloween costume to a FabulousPug.

About the game.....
What is the Radar Dome and rocket-firing plane?
What is the icon on the right with the B1 bomber? I've never seen that before.

That is good idea to shoot howitzers forever on the area. That stops them from moving around and getting blown up. In reality they often do continual bombardments to interdict so it is good tactics.

The satellite dropped grenades are absolutely brutal but I don't know if they are more deadly than the reliable A10 strike. The grenades hit a bigger area and do a lot of collateral damage to passing vehicles and SAM sites etc plus they are the coolest thing in the game to see. I usually go for both A10s and grenades but I always lose so you've found a better way.

Your base is packed with goods. Wow. Those turrets are so close. I was scared to put turrets close together because of the bomb trucks, but you can stop the bomb trucks and Scourge missiles. Excellent work.
You used the luxurious bombers a lot. Did you have problems with Python tanks shooting down the planes?

That is a very strong win. I will keep trying.
hamatchi is game site? I will have to learn about it.
Good pictures and detailed story. Thank you.

I wonder if Paperside can beat any other generals in the challenge? On hard level, all the generals are a bit difficult to beat.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 29 Oct 2015, 4:59

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Rohan
post 29 Oct 2015, 11:28
Post #69

The Sun Hero
Group Icon

Member No.: 10041

If you want to play ShockWave online, Go Here.

You might have to make a personal Hamachi room if you can't access the main ones. A personal room can hold maximum 5 people.

Here is the public Hamachi channel :-

Network Name: C&C Generals ZH Mods
Password: None (There is no password ! )

This post has more info.

Another much better option is to use Gameranger as it reduces online mismatches : Gameranger

--------------------

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 29 Oct 2015, 13:56
Post #70

Group Icon

Ok the rocker-shooting plane is a general's power, I always forget its name. It's the 3rd from above in my screenshot.

I refer to the radar building as Radar Dome, the one which sets the minimap to functional state; I'm not sure if that's the real name for it, I rarely learn the actual names of stuff in the game lol.

The general's powers in the picture are following, from top to bottom:

All enemy reveal
A10 strike
Rocket shooting plane
Satelite scan (I think the Radar building enables it)
Cluster Missile
MOAB (before was Fuel Air Bomb ofc)
Spy Drone

The thing I believe saved me this time compared to my other fails, were more anti-tank defences to kill Battle Busses faster + a stealth detection defense for Jarmen + lots of micro for planes.

To preserve planes, I needed to wait until there were no Pythons close or close behind Scourges; otherwise they would shoot them down instantly.. also, when they come close to defences they will either die or forcus the defences and not care about planes. I think it was very important to scan the map with "All enemy reveal" (which I used only when I suspected the palace is up again) and spy drones, to preemtively strike at Scourges and such - sometimes just circle with planes away from the pythons to let them get further ahead to Scourges would be vulnerable. In tolal I lost up to 3 planes.

The most frustrating thing is to defend against initial Palace units, so after the Palace is down, you will get some breathing room (lol) for economic boom via Supply Drop Zones, and then you can continue to build a Superweapon just to keep the SCUD down as well. I probably had a lot of luck to time my general's powers so that both SCUD and Palace were down for most of the time. I even was destroying them while they were in the middle of rebuilding it, which shows the power of Spy Drones, as I didn't even need too many bombing powers for 1 spot.

EDIT:
And you're right, this time I clumped the defences together to save room and to kill Bomb Trucks and Battle Busses faster.

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 29 Oct 2015, 13:59

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 30 Oct 2015, 2:28
Post #71

Group Icon

Again I'm on my phone and can't edit my previous post so I guess I'll put it here.

The next general for the Paperside challenge is Air Force dude.
Didn't try it yet because I'm taking a break from the Paperside induced stress tongue.gif also I'd like to see how you emerge victiorious in this goo-ridden battlefield.

Did you try to set up a network game? I do have Gameranger and managed to see Shockwave games in there, but at the time so few players were active, maybe Hamatchi is a more populated place?
I generally dislike online games like Generals; maybe the stress I put on myself or because I don't like hardcore competition. Yes yes, can't be a pro without hundreds of totally failed games, but I'm not intending to be one anyway.I'm such a noob biggrin.gif. But if you want we could arrange something?

Sam - as you seem to know more,does Hamachi have many Shockwave players?

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 30 Oct 2015, 6:32
Post #72

Group Icon

Sam: thank you for the links and info

FabPug: Very intelligent adaptation to the vigors of facing Thrax. I can see how micro'ing your planes would be smart to avoid the Pythons. Also smart was moving your turret line closer to the bridge which (oddly) causes the buggies to thrown themselves within range of the turrets and certain doom. I tried again but I only had 1 plane when his Scourges attacked so he cleared out my turrets. I had 3 Phalanxs but they couldn't stop any missiles at all. Not sure how to get the turrets and planes built at the same time before the dreaded Scourge attacks come and those nasty bomb trucks.

I was tinkering with the bomb trucks by putting RPG soldiers in front of the eastern derrick as hapless targets to set off his bomb trucks before they hit the turrets. I'm thinking now of building a dummy turret line in front of my turrets to soak up bomb trucks and missiles. A dummy turret is the base with no top on it.

I had the GP grenades at level 3 which took his palace down to half health as well as destroying the SAM next to it and the 2 Scourges that are parked there. That was just as his Scourges cleared my turrets. I also made 3 drop zones which may have been too early (supply dump was emptied just then) cause I could only make 1 plane. Also the SAMs by the bridges were still intact making bombing runs very risky. I had no war factory yet due to no money. I had 5 turrets and 3 phalanxs facing north and 2 turrets and 1 phalanx facing east with a scattered group of infantry to distract bombs. All were destroyed so I had to give up. I think better making only 1 or 2 drop zones and then making all 4 bombers plus more (*sigh*) turrets to soak up hits and then hopefully make more drops later. And I won't bother making Phalanxs cause they are useless for me and just use up money and power.

As for online, I can try logging on tomorrow a few hours earlier than this (internet connection here is dodgy in the evening due to some dodgy characters in the sharehouse online all day). My name will be RodentDung if not taken yet. If someone takes RodentDung, then I will be PondScum as a backup name.

If we play online, we can be on the same team. Either we can go against other humans or do a us vs AI team or something. We can figure it out. Maybe two Papersides vs two Thraxs. (just kill me now)

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 30 Oct 2015, 6:33

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
FabulousPug
post 30 Oct 2015, 7:22
Post #73

Group Icon

Not sure but I wouldn't say that the AI Thrax attacks the same way every time.
I mean, after he said the "Be ready I'm coming" line, there was a window of 3-4 minutes before he actually started using palace units. So before they arrived to my base I already managed to build 2 bomber planes to kill the N stinger site and then I could kill the scourge that came. After that I defended vigorously with those 2 plane, taking out the E stinger site asap. For a long time I had no Phalanx on my E side either, cause the few scourges that came were dealt with planes quickly (again, a Spy Drone was invaluable there on the bridge). I also saw some vehicles coming from his main base to my E side, so I guess the E arms dealer isn't a big deal anyway...

blink.gif The dummy turret seems like a briliant idea!
It would probably be good to build them out of shooting line of other turrets but still a little further out as to attact more fire? unsure.gif

I've built the 3 and then 1 Phalanx on my N side as soon as I had 2 planes, 1 vulcan turret and 3 anti-tank turrets. (the first I build was the Vulcan one then I continued to line up the rest). 4 of them can actually deflect most missiles even when 2 Scourges are at it, but without planes it's just a matter of time before they penetrate. The only way I could deal with those disguisting Bomb Trucks was to select an anti-tank turret ot two and focus them.
I'm afraid the only way to deal with palace units is to heavily micro everything and check the attacking routes very frequently.
For the start I'd say only 2 planes are optimal for saving cash and defending.

And the one detection.bunker-turret has that laser-designator thing, no idea how exactly it functions or does it funcion at missiles at all.

I'd always recomment to take the lv.3 rank GP with the plane picture ("rocket-shooting plane" as I call it) as it does a lot of more damage compared to just 1 level of A10 or Grenades - it's more devastating to use this plane+ a Lv.2 bombing power, than to use only one Lv.3 power in my opinion.

If I ever get to play online, my name would probably be something Pug related, or if it's Gameranger I'm already Mops413 there (which means Pug in my language lol)

And.. Do not let Thraxina make a fool of you! Bomb him to smithereens, roll over him and then some!
Crush the ugly b***ard! crush8.gif

This post has been edited by FabulousPug: 30 Oct 2015, 8:21

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 30 Oct 2015, 8:43
Post #74

Group Icon

I tried again but lost again. I made more turrets but the Scourges just destroy everything every time. I accidentally made 4 phalanxs in the mouseclick panic which wasted money and they do nothing at all. Seems it only takes 2 Scourges to wipe out my stuff cause the 2 bombers I had targeted one Scourge and another one came to replace the ones I destroyed so he kept 2 scourges on the bridges at all times destroying my turrets. I got his palace again with grenades but in the moment I spent to target his palace he wiped my base out again. The buses and toxin trucks were all over and sank my command center in ooze.

That is the B-52 cruise strike you are calling a rocket. It is good but I don't live long enough to get it. I need the grenades and A10s first cause I think the SAMs will shoot down the B-52 but I don't know for sure cause I never got it. The grenades are the only thing Paperside has that work well for me. Most probably with the A10s, grenades and the B-52, you can destroy both the palace and Scud. But I think the B-52 is the same as Alexander's and that one is bad for hitting mountains. In the Granger battle, the B-52 was useless cause it hit mountains everytime.

The best bomber is the Chinese carpet bomber. It is very strong and does a lot of damage. Also Granger's B-1 bomber is brutal and can't be shot down.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 30 Oct 2015, 8:45

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 30 Oct 2015, 9:05
Post #75

Group Icon

And another try. This time I made 4 bombers and I damaged the palace with the grenades and then the bombers destroyed the palace. But of course all 4 bombers were lost so $1800x4 was the cost. Meanwhile his Scourges again destroyed all my turrets and I counted 10 Python tanks plus toxin trucks, a bus and some square APCs were destroying my base for free. I can't do this anymore.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 18:02