Reply to this topicStart new topic
Some Stars and A Sun, Introducing the Federal Republic of the Philippines
BlackPowder123
post 5 May 2015, 14:43
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10740

This is my first time to create a fanfic, and after how many months since I joined this forum, I finally had the chance to make this. I hope you'll enjoy. smile.gif)

Also, there are already existing references to the Philippines here. Nevertheless, here's mine.

Federal Republic of the Philippines
Leader: Lester Acosta
Capital: Manila
Population: 155,143,000
Active Troops: 620,000

The Philippines has experienced its own series of unfortunate events, in particular with its geopolitical vulnerability in the growing Asia-Pacific region. Once regarded as one of Asia's largest economies and strongest militaries during the Cold War, it downgraded to become one of the weakest armed forces in Asia. Moreover, the stigma of martial law during the Marcos dictatorship, threats of coups and the culture of corruption within the Filipino society itself have plagued any attempt to seriously modernize the dilapidated Philippine military. Compounding the military's problems are the two largest and longest insurgencies in the country: the Communists, who have called for a Maoist state in the archipelago, and the Moros, who have long called for a separate state in the southern islands.

Nevertheless, by the turn of the 21st century, 2 events would eventually push the ruling administrations to put the Armed Forces of the Philippines back into better shape: The Global War on Terror, and China's expansionism in the South China Sea. Being named as one of America's "major non-NATO allies" in the Pacific, the Philippines, for all its meager capability, fought against Al-Qaeda-tied (and later, GLA-tied) terrorist groups that managed to conduct series of terrorist attacks across the Southern Philippines, Borneo, and the rest of maritime Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, China's construction of military bases across its "nine-dash" area convinced most of the Filipinos that they needed a greater US military presence once again, while rebuilding the Filipinos' external defense capabilities. This is amidst the fact that some Filipino leftist groups have often argued that "American imperialism" will always be the Philippines' biggest threat, with China just being secondary.

Domestically, there are already reforms that call for greater transparency and accountability, albeit its gradual implementation. Most Filipinos, however, thought that more measures have to be taken and fast. Internal security-wise, talks with the 2 largest insurgency movements have carried on despite numerous setbacks and violations by all parties, ending in the conditional yet total disarmament of said movements.

As per agreed, some Cabinet positions were offered to the political leaders of the now-legitimized Communist Party and the Bangsamoro Party, including agrarian reform, social welfare, and human rights. However, the government retained control over national defense, foreign affairs, finance, and the rest of the Cabinet. In addition, calls for a shift to a federal parliamentary system, which began in Visayas and Mindanao, were being seriously debated until the creation of the 2019 Constitution, which formally proclaimed the Philippines as a federal republic. While retaining a market economy that has already grown in faster rates, some sectors have been nationalized like energy and education. Despite earning the ire of some "haciendero" families, genuine agrarian reform took place, an act once thought impossible in this country.

The Global War on Terror that began in 2019 also affected the Philippines as a whole. Across the Asia-Pacific region, US and Filipino special forces have conducted countless operations. Filipino defense industries, meanwhile, have started producing local variants of more modern weapons systems with help from various foreign technicians due to China's re-integration of Taiwan. Despite this, Chinese, Filipino and other Southeast Asian forces have occasionally cooperated (albeit awkwardly) in rooting out GLA cells, including the Hong Kong Crisis of 2020.

However, 8 years later, Operation: ZERO HOUR took place. Across the globe, US forces have retreated back to the mainland and other US territories. Overnight, US allies have been deprived of their superpower backer, including the Philippines. With the retreat of the US 7th fleet and the accompanying US troops, the Philippines suddenly became vulnerable once more to China's expansionism, and with the latter's emergence as the world's newest superpower, the Philippines had to make a decision: either give in to China's full might by surrendering the entire Spratlys archipelago and join China-led GAPA, or stand up and fight the Chinese pressure even without the US.

Politicians debated for the next few months, with some businessmen-supported representatives arguing to "be red than dead", while nationalists countering that centuries of foreign occupation should have taught them to stand on their own. Eventually, after massive demonstrations on both sides, the latter choice was taken. With few options on the table, the Philippine government formalized its military alliances with Japan and Indonesia, the last of Southeast Asia's regional powers. Now, the Philippines stands on the battle lines once more, as the Third Korean War took place, a Taiwan-like scenario in the Philippines, and rumors of actual occupation to "settle old scores for good" sinking in, the Philippine military stands ready to meet the challenges ahead.

Their finest hour may begin anytime...

(Units and buildings to be available ASAP.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoneRebel
post 28 Aug 2015, 20:08
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 11110

As a Filipino, I'm interested in this. I'd like to contribute my two cents. My personal headcanon is a faction that consists of Asian countries working together to contain China, an even more urgent concern after the US withdrawal into isolationism after the events of Zero Hour. As you know, the ROTR lore has established that China took advantage of its brief period of being the sole superpower after ZH to annex the mainland parts of Southeast Asia. However, the island parts of Southeast Asia, being harder to reach (and invade) were (thankfully) left alone. I presume China would have gotten around to invading us too eventually, but after annexing mainland SEA, they paused just long enough for the remaining nations to form a coalition. Plus, after that, growing economic problems and a stagnating population would serve to curtail China's ambitions somewhat.

My understanding of the ROTR-verse is that China's reign as undisputed world hegemon after ZH did not last long. The Eurasian Unity League they established with Europe did not last long for unexplained reasons. (ideological differences perhaps?) Europe soon reestablished itself as a superpower in its own right, the ECA. And Russia, which in the early 21st century was just a former superpower still pretending to be a superpower, managed a stunning resurgence, giving China other things to worry about. The US, after a few decades of isolationism and economic woes, eventually snapped out of that and returned to the world stage.

Which brings me to the faction concept. You'll notice that the existing factions are all superpowers. The GLA is a special case - come on, a band of terrorists and rebels taking on all the world superpowers at the same time? - and defeating them several times? - but it's such an integral part of Generals that we can't do without it. The US and China are single countries powerful enough to qualify as superpowers on their own. The ECA can qualify as a superpower when taken as a group. Russia is the largest country in the world, but personally I really don't think they have the population to be a superpower anymore. But in the context of this 'verse let's say they are.

Which means that any proposed new faction, for realism's sake, has to be on par with the existing factions as far as power is concerned. The faction I'm thinking of consists of nations around China's rim concerned about Chinese aggression. I'm thinking mainly of Japan, United Korea, the insular parts of SEA (meaning the Philippines, Indonesia, and the eastern half of Malaysia) Australia, New Zealand, and India. None of these countries (except perhaps India) would qualify for a faction on their own, but together they certainly do. I'm thinking it'll be like an Asian ECA, with a diverse selection of units coming from all the member countries, just like the ECA. Personally I think it's a very interesting idea. I haven't even thought of a name for the faction yet though, or a gameplay style. Any suggestions?

Now, I know that ROTR lore already has India forming a "Bangalore Pact", but I don't think it's such a stretch for the Bangalore Pact to join forces with Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, and Australia-New Zealand. The lore seems to indicate that, when the US ended its isolationism and joined the Europe-Russia war, they also rebuilt and restarted their lapsed alliances with their Asian allies, so I take that to mean that the Philippines and others are no longer in as much danger from China as they were before.

This post has been edited by LoneRebel: 28 Aug 2015, 20:22

+Quote Post
BlackPowder123
post 9 Sep 2015, 14:44
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 10740

Sorry for the VERY LATE reply.

Indeed, I also realized that the Asian nations in the Chinese rim won't stand a chance individually, but an "Asian ECA" may do. I do look forward to your contributions. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 1:21