Reply to this topicStart new topic
Windows 7 and Shockwave
BackyardGeneral
post 28 Jun 2009, 3:34
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 216

I have the Windows 7 RC running on a 2.53ghz Macbook Pro with 4gbs of ram and an Nvidia 9600m GT with 512vram.

I have absolutely no problem running Zero Hour at max settings and max players on a large map, and can run up to four player matches in Shockwave with everything set to max. At 5 players and above the game turns into a slideshow, even if I set everything to lowest. The computer I have can run Red Alert 3 at high/ultra high settings (proof), and my old HP laptop using XP can run Shockwave flawlessly. I have downloaded Zero Hour 1.04 patch, Nvidia drivers from their site, and installed essential updates from Windows Updater.

Is there any possibility that Windows 7 is causing the slow down?

(before anyone gets me for trying to game on a mac laptop, I only bought one because I got a discount of over $1000)

This post has been edited by Backyardgeneral: 28 Jun 2009, 3:37
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 28 Jun 2009, 3:44
Post #2

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Alot of people have problems running ZH mods on high spec machines

Apparently due to poor AI pathing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razor
post 28 Jun 2009, 3:44
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 164

I have 64 bit windows 7 and mine runs fine and I cant run ra3 on really high settings so I doubt it is windows 7 doing it.

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 28 Jun 2009, 4:00
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 167

nothing is wrong with windows 7 mine works fine its having a super computer is the problem my friend cant even get his to start he can run anything on high cept for ZH apparently EA needs to release a patch of some sort to fix this imo

+Quote Post
Сергеј Иванович
post 28 Jun 2009, 6:00
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 54
Poor fan

I know some problem that windows 7 beta has(I had some presentation on college),and is very much connected with previous OS system.for example,one of my friend has vista installed and worked great,cause strong hardware (I forgot which specs has) and when he installed 7 beta it took same specifics as vista.Now read this. other my friend from college installed on p4 1.7ghz celeron,128 mb RAM,Gforce 2 mx w/20gb HD comp 7 beta. And worked fine. I couldn't believe it until i saw this.
so i think it's most likely about software and os.
cause windows 7 is not for games,cause they don't have software support for that and is based for operating in office packages and other programs(it uses same amount of memory when u open 7 windows than vista or xp). So vista is only new OS that works fine for games.

and for games,it's like me when playing RA2 on 1.7Ghz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, GForce 4 mx 4400.
it often slows down when i play with 5 players and when i see enemy base,cause everything reads from CD,it slowes down(by sound i know this when happens).
So my advice to you is to get rid off windows 7 beta and try to install vista.U have serious hardware,so you shouldn't have problems if u use it for games and 2-3 opened windows pages.

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 28 Jun 2009, 10:48
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Серг
@ 27 Jun 2009, 20:00) *
I know some problem that windows 7 beta has(I had some presentation on college),and is very much connected with previous OS system.for example,one of my friend has vista installed and worked great,cause strong hardware (I forgot which specs has) and when he installed 7 beta it took same specifics as vista.Now read this. other my friend from college installed on p4 1.7ghz celeron,128 mb RAM,Gforce 2 mx w/20gb HD comp 7 beta. And worked fine. I couldn't believe it until i saw this.
so i think it's most likely about software and os.
cause windows 7 is not for games,cause they don't have software support for that and is based for operating in office packages and other programs(it uses same amount of memory when u open 7 windows than vista or xp). So vista is only new OS that works fine for games.

and for games,it's like me when playing RA2 on 1.7Ghz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, GForce 4 mx 4400.
it often slows down when i play with 5 players and when i see enemy base,cause everything reads from CD,it slowes down(by sound i know this when happens).
So my advice to you is to get rid off windows 7 beta and try to install vista.U have serious hardware,so you shouldn't have problems if u use it for games and 2-3 opened windows pages.

actually its supposed to be the other way around vista is office use as its slow and has all these nice little features that are useless for games were windows 7 is going to be the new XP and they took away all the little useless features. and as for software support of course there is none for a beta wait till they release it

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 28 Jun 2009, 11:46
Post #7

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 28 Jun 2009, 3:00) *
nothing is wrong with windows 7 mine works fine its having a super computer is the problem my friend cant even get his to start he can run anything on high cept for ZH apparently EA needs to release a patch of some sort to fix this imo

The SAGE engine in ZH is unoptimized. It's a shame really seeing how much better SAGE got with RA3.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 28 Jun 2009, 13:24
Post #8

Group Icon

I remember reading something about being able to optomise SAGE for Generals if EA released the source code

--------------------

+Quote Post
JJ
post 28 Jun 2009, 13:53
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
Projects: SWR Productions

Well of course, if EA releases the source codes, you can make what's uncodeable before codeable. Movable aircraft carriers anyone? Plus all the improvements of the C&C3 and RA3 SAGE. It's just quite impossible for it to happen.

(We need someone to bug EA about it! I would, but how the heck do you contact them in the first place? Forums? Not enough power IMO.)

This post has been edited by JJ: 28 Jun 2009, 13:54

+Quote Post
Сергеј Иванович
post 28 Jun 2009, 18:34
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 54
Poor fan

QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 28 Jun 2009, 8:48) *
actually its supposed to be the other way around vista is office use as its slow and has all these nice little features that are useless for games were windows 7 is going to be the new XP and they took away all the little useless features. and as for software support of course there is none for a beta wait till they release it

Nope i asked man from MS and he told me that Windows 7 is for working with Office packages cause Windows 7 targets group of people that opens 7 windows pages, and its good cause when u opening same 7 pages on windows 7,it uses same amount of memory rather than vista,which slows it down.their group that uses 7 pages are working ppl,so Windows 7 will only find good use in e-business and other work related firms.
here's my proof for this matter

This post has been edited by Сергеј Иванович: 28 Jun 2009, 18:37

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razven
post 28 Jun 2009, 20:19
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 40
Projects: ROTR Tester

I can't see your proof.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 28 Jun 2009, 23:34
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (Razven @ 28 Jun 2009, 17:19) *
I can't see your proof.

Ditto :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 29 Jun 2009, 0:50
Post #13

Group Icon

well that may be true. i will nvr use vista again for a gaming system, slow and chunky and most other gamers will see it too

This post has been edited by C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r: 29 Jun 2009, 0:51

+Quote Post
BackyardGeneral
post 29 Jun 2009, 3:43
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 216

QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 28 Jun 2009, 16:50) *
well that may be true. i will nvr use vista again for a gaming system, slow and chunky and most other gamers will see it too

I also read that Windows 7 would be better than Vista for games, but it was in one of those schlocky PC magazines they display at Borders.

I guess the first thing to do with any problem with Generals is to automatically assume it has something to do with the SAGE coding. blush.gif

Thanks4Replies

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 29 Jun 2009, 3:49
Post #15

Group Icon

well mine works fine. it has nothing to do with windows 7 and my friend's ZH didnt even work on vista and he actually got it running at some point on windows 7 unlike vista, but the next day it failed again so something is messed up.

+Quote Post
Nix
post 29 Jun 2009, 6:16
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 78

QUOTE (JJ @ 28 Jun 2009, 10:53) *
Well of course, if EA releases the source codes, you can make what's uncodeable before codeable. Movable aircraft carriers anyone? Plus all the improvements of the C&C3 and RA3 SAGE. It's just quite impossible for it to happen.

(We need someone to bug EA about it! I would, but how the heck do you contact them in the first place? Forums? Not enough power IMO.)

One of the big problems with a company like EA releasing source code, is can get difficult to know what piece of code belongs to who. EA gobbled up lots of companies, and each one has it's own legal Intellectual property mess when it comes to that code being used outside the company. And then there's situation where EA buys code from other companies because they don't feel like coding something that's already been made.

I don't know how much this affects the sage engine, but it could very well be a factor.

And consider EA hasn't even released TS or RA2 engine code despite being constantly bugged, the prospects for a Generals release is grim.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 29 Jun 2009, 14:46
Post #17

Group Icon

It does hint a Generals 2 though

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18 April 2024 - 8:10