Spejjarn
post 28 Dec 2014, 20:48
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

Operation Snowblind

03:24 November 1st 2048 Denmark Strait

High above the North Atlantic a voice was heard: “Northern… Lights to… Arctic Fox… Mission is a… Go!” Lt. Col. Powell of the 1st SFOD-D responded: “Roger that, Arctic Fox out.” and turned around. He continued: “Okay men, you heard what Command said… Yes, roger that… the Flight Commander just informed me that we are approaching the DZ… so lets prepare ourselves.” A few minutes later eight shadows threw themselves out of a MC-17 Shadowmaster at 8,000 meters above sea level. Soon after they pulled out their parachutes and begun gliding towards their target. Powell called out on the intercom: “Activate your NVGs and GPS and report in!” One by one the operatives responded: “Arctic Fox Two ready! Arctic Fox Three here! Finally, Arctic Fox Four ready! Arctic Fox Five ready! Haha, HAHO is fun… sorry Sir, Arctic Fox Six ready! Arctic Fox Seven at the ready. Lt. Col. Powell directly reacted when the eighth man… or rather woman did not report in after number seven: “Diaz come in! Diaz report immediately!” but the only thing Arctic Fox One could here was the thundering wind 7,000 meters above the raging sea.

20:58 November 3rd Olafsvik, Western Iceland

Lt. Col. Powell and his five remaining operatives slowly closed in on the Russian radar station. “Alright men, here’s the plan: Johnson and Smith provides covering fire from the ridge 700 yards southeast of our position. The rest - on me. Any questions?! The silence told Powell that his men had understood. Guardsman Pvt. Grigorin pulled the cigarette out of his mouth and was about to talk to Sergej but stopped abruptly when he saw a red dot moving around on Sergej’s chest. Less than a second later the two sentries dropped to the ground with 7.62 mm rounds in their bodies. “Go! Go! Go!” Powell called to his men and they charged towards the compound and breached the radar station’s door. After fighting their way through the building they reached the control room. “How the heck are we supposed to succeed with this, chief? Lt. Diaz had the explosives when she went MIA!” Maj. Samson exclaimed. “You’re a God damn D…F…O – improvise, soldier!” Powell responded. Capt. Thompson interrupted: “Hey, Sam, give men a few of your 60 mm rounds and I think this will work out all fine” and he put them together with a frag grenade in the mainframe. “Fire in the hole! Let’s get out of here!” A loud bang and a short blackout told the exfiltrating Deltas that the radar had been sabotaged.

06:17 November 5th, Battleship USS Stormbringer, off the Icelandic coast

“Nice to have you here General”, Admiral Shepard greeted General Mark Blacksmith who entered the Combat Command Center aboard USS Stormbringer. “Let’s get into details” he continued when the saw the resolute face of his landborne colleague. “Team Artic Fox has taken out the radar station outside Olafsvik, Team Killer Whale, your SEAL guys, have taken out the radar station and the Iskander battery in Keflavik, and a troop of Green Berets has infiltrated Reykjavik and is prepared to assist our intervention. Moreover, it appears that the ECA high command has ordered the Danish Sirius Sledge Patrol to begin patrolling the Northern wastelands of this god forsaken island. We’ve given them the callsign Polar Bear. Over to today’s operations: Our Nighthawks – callsign Thunderbolts – will attack the Russians’ static defences. Griffon’s Hunter Killers – callsign Hailstorms – will strike mobile threats, primarily AA. B-1 Lancers – callsign Blizzards – will strike the bunkers on the shore and massed enemy formations. F-22s –callsign Northwind – will provide combat air patrol. After that we will let loose the Marines. They have been waiting for this!” After listening to the report General Blacksmith sat down in the Second’s chair and took a sip of the coffee. “Well, that sounds like a plan. Let’s push the big red button then”. The Admiral gave his communications officer a nod, who in turn pushed the talk button on the radio and said: “All teams, from Northern Lights: Snowblind. I repeat - Snowblind.”

06:43 November 5th, near Keflavik Air Base

“Artic Fox copies” Lt. Col. Powell replied to the latest message from Command. Half an hour later the DFOs could hear the thunderous sound of Nighthawks’ munition hitting Kashtan emplacements surrounding the airbase. “Hurry to light up those Grumbles so the Hunter Killers can strike! Powell ordered Maj. Samson who hurled up the laser designator and aimed it on the L-shaped silhouettes below the ridge. All of a sudden Thompson called out: “Rifleman! Four o’clock!” A platoon of Conscripts charged the DFO team and the lieutenant colonel responded immediately: “Team, fire one mortar barrage and exfil to the w…” Powell’s order was cut short by a 7.62 mm Kalashnikov bullet that tore away his chin. Meanwhile the Delta Force team on the ground was hunted by the platoon the Russian commander launched a squadron of Berkut fighters to intercept the approaching American air armada. The air was filled with exploding air-to-air missiles and countermeasure flares. All of a sudden a Raptor pilot screamed on the radio: “This is Northwind One-Seven, I have two heat-seeking missiles locked-on my tail. Commencing evasive manoeuvres!“ Thanks to the extensive training the pilot had gone through he managed to think: Hm, the FLIR is showing very strong heat signatures on the ground… aha, volcanos! She made a mad dive towards the brightest blob on the screen. It was a wild idea but the intensive heat of the lava forced one of the missiles to home in on the ground and crashed. The hot gases from the volcano heated the Raptor’s fuselage and the second missile kept its lock forcing the pilot to bail out from the USD 150 million jet fighter.

11:10 November 5th, off the coast of Keflavik

PFC. Strauss felt the adrenaline pumping in his veins and tried to fight off a creeping sea sickness. This was his platoon’s baptism of fire and they were riding into it in trusty old AAV-P7Bs. The vehicles soon touched the frozen shoreline and charged inland. They were met by rubbles from buildings demolished by the airstrikes. The Russians had dug in and fought bravely from their makeshift bunkers forcing the Marines to disembark to clear them out. PFC. Strauss watched in dismay as the AAV-P7Bs were shot to pieces one by one by enemy RPGs. After an hour long fight where the Marine held their ground but were unable to advance any further one of the Marines shouted: “Hooray! Here comes the cavalry!” as a company of Crusader tanks stormed the battlefield. The sight of friendly armour gave a huge moral boost to PFC. Strauss and his fellow Marines who charged the enemy at point-blank range.

21:55 November 5th, Northern Iceland

Northwind One-Seven was knocked unconscious as she exited her fighter but the automatic parachute system managed to land her safely on a snowy slope. She woke up shivering a few hours later when the batteries in her thermal survival suit began to fail. She could hardly move but managed to get a chocolate bar from the emergency kit and check that the GPS emergency beacon was active. As she finished her inspection of her status she heard the barks of dogs. With frozen fingers she her pulled her CBJ-MS gun and aimed it towards the noise. Moments later the large silhouette of a man appeared. She fired a warning salvo but the man did not flinch an inch. A deep voice proclaimed in broken English: “Northwind One-Seven I presume. You seem in god shape. I are kaptajn Rasmussen, I will tage you to safety”. The soldier carried the pilot on to the dog sledge he had parked a few meters behind him and tucked here in among the equipment on the sledge. He then picked up a radio: “Northern Lights, This is Polar Bear Three, we have your downed aviator. Over.” After a while when the shock of being rescued had disappeared the pilot asked: “How did you know it was me, I could have been a Russian soldier?” Rasmussen chuckled but did not answer directly. “No Ruskie thug would smell like you do, Northwind. And how would I know, you might ask… because I bought that fragrance for my wife back in Denmark last Christmas. Now rest – we have a long trip back to civilization”. The pilot asked: “What about a CSAR helicopter?” The kaptajn responded: “Ze weather is no good for flying, you of all should know.”

Epilogue: March 2049 Frankfurt

General van der Meer turned to the newly-appointed General Martyna Zawacka of the Free Polish Army and asked: “Madame General, have you met General Blacksmith before?” Zawaka shook her head and smiled towards the second man standing beside him. With her soft voice she greeted the American general: “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sir”. Blacksmith politely answered “The pleasure is mine, ma’m. Our Dutch friend here has told me about you and your men’s heroic resistance against Aleksandr’s butchers”. The Polish general responded: “You flatter me, Sir. We just fight for our freedom, just as you did back in the 1770s. By the way, your irregular special forces made a great job on Iceland. General van der Meer has told me that the casualties and collateral damage could be kept to a minimum thanks to their achievements on the ground. Especially the Green Berets in Reykjavik, who managed to prevent the Russian forces from committing any war crimes against the poor Icelandics, Sir.” The US general looked back with great pride at what his men had achieved and then spoke with a dreaming voice: “You are right, ma’m, but I must say that the covert operations by your Venom operatives in Scandinavia was much more my style. Big guns and fast jets are for sure good force multipliers, but nothing is as efficient as a team of well-trained operatives behind enemy lines”.

This post has been edited by Spejjarn: 8 Jan 2015, 22:51

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 2 Jan 2015, 17:33
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

Nice story, Spejjarn. Will you be making more stories about the Russia/China conflict?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spejjarn
post 2 Jan 2015, 22:01
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 2 Jan 2015, 17:33) *
Nice story, Spejjarn. Will you be making more stories about the Russia/China conflict?

Tackar! :-)

Well, I'm looking forward to a statement from His Exellence MARS regarding my Exercise Amur Tiger fan-fic. I think the Sino-Russian conflict might be the most interesting part of ROTR lore. I'm looking forward to something like The Bear and the Dragon by *surprise* Clancy: i.e. Chinese invasion of Siberia to secure valuable mineral resources. And to protect ethnic Chinese/Han as part of already established ROTR lore. (The former the hidden agenda and the latter the casus belli).

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 2 Jan 2015, 22:08
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

As a story, this particular one looks pretty good. As a general rule, short, self-contained battle-fics are very easy to work into canon. The only change I would consider is the involvement of Thorn. The guy is a Green Beret and exceptionally ballsy. It's established that he and his team actually remained in the Berlin area when the Russians invaded and that he is directly engaged with the European resistance, presumably doing his shadow warrior operations from behind enemy lines throughout all this time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 21:36